3rd Ed Sidereals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I feel as though phrasing characters in terms of "best at X" creates a lot of pressure, has issues with comparison to the core Exalted group, and is shifting the emphasis to the abstract when it really ought to be a designation proven in the course of stories, by the combination of character capabilities, choices and the unpredictable ways that they practically play out.

For Sidereals, I think the significance of them as mysterious and potent mentors might come across better if it's something that is dotted all over their powers, rather than just having really good teaching Charms in Lore.
    It was mechanically represented in the fact that they could teach anyone a full character gen of stats in just a year and a day. Which is why they gained more abilities at start than anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
      It was mechanically represented in the fact that they could teach anyone a full character gen of stats in just a year and a day.
      Didn't they use sorcery for that? Or was it just in Second Edition?

I don't think that character creation rules should be the basis for how this is approached.

Originally posted by Epimetheus
      Which is why they gained more abilities at start than anyone else.
      I also think this might not be the case anymore.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Didn't they use sorcery for that? Or was it just in Second Edition?

I don't think that character creation rules should be the basis for how this is approached.
        That was Second edition which made it gift of knowledge. 1e just said they could do it without any rules.

We'll have to see if they do or don't get to keep their character gen.

Comment

We'll have to see if they do or don't get to keep their character gen.
          I'm presuming that they'll follow similar principles to the recalibration of Dragon Blooded character creation.

I think keeping this in line with how Sidereal origins are more standardised than those of Solars is to convey a process of Sidereal induction not being so uniform, and that they have priorities other than how high your Abilities are. That the important thing is the ethos and outlook.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I'm presuming that they'll follow similar principles to the recalibration of Dragon Blooded character creation.

I think keeping this in line with how Sidereal origins are more standardised than those of Solars is to convey a process of Sidereal induction not being so uniform, and that they have priorities other than how high your Abilities are. That the important thing is the ethos and outlook.
            I'll have to disagree because the mechanical benefits were entwined with the background reasons. Also, to represent that sidereals get trained and have a job almost immediately after exaltation. If they aren't ronin.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I think the Solar equivalent would be Supernal actually. It's more powerful, but less versatile. The DB equivalent would be some combination of their merits and their position in the setting, and the Sidereals might be somewhere in between with their Astrology and their connections to Heaven. Normally the later would matter a whole lot more, except that it's the Sidereals that get called in when literally everything else fails, so their ability to call in backup from there is somewhat limited by comparison.

I think you agreed with me without realizing this. I compared Sidereal Martial Arts to Solar Sorcery and Abyssal Necromancy, and Lunar Shapeshifting to Solar Supernal and Sidereal Astrology. DBs have Signature Charms and Aura as their own splat mechanics, and things like connections or infrastructure are not comparable, they're just there.

Comment

I'll have to disagree because the mechanical benefits were entwined with the background reasons. Also, to represent that sidereals get trained and have a job almost immediately after exaltation. If they aren't ronin.

I'm quite sure they'll just get the 28 chargen dots and represent their background and infrastructure through merit dots or other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post

I'm quite sure they'll just get the 28 chargen dots and represent their background and infrastructure through merit dots or other ways.
                  Pretty much. If DBs only get 28 and were Exalted for as much a decade, I don't see Sidereals getting more when they've been in training for about a year before being sent into the field. (This has been soemthing RV has noted a few times in this topic. They are even likely starting at Essence 1 still since again, standard PC has been Exalted for a year.)

And stuff.
                  My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post

We'll have to see. It was always interesting to see sidereals so stacked compared to others because it showed that sidereals had a level of organization present in no other exalt.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post

Pretty much. If DBs only get 28 and were Exalted for as much a decade, I don't see Sidereals getting more when they've been in training for about a year before being sent into the field. (This has been soemthing RV has noted a few times in this topic. They are even likely starting at Essence 1 still since again, standard PC has been Exalted for a year.)
                      Dragon blooded are at start E2 unless you play them as teens.

Comment

Dragon blooded are at start E2 unless you play them as teens.
                        Sure, but note again, they still only get 28 Ability dots. And Vance has ntoed Sidereals have training for a year. No matter how rigorous, I am skeptical it'll be more than some extra specialites based on your Division, and probably some extra Merit dots. Otherwise I kind of expect it to look a lot like Solar and Lunar character creation.

And stuff.

Comment

Yeah it's a difference between benefiting from a society since your childhood to when you just got a new job. I also doubt Sids will get extra merit dots like DBs or if they do it would be spread out among different options, since the stuff DBs normally benefit from, Backing, Resources, Influence etc. Is kinda hard for your Sid to retain right after Exaltation being erased from living memory thanks to Arcane Fate. So i doubt they will get them if any, in so much as much support a Lunar gets from its Shahan ya

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                            Yeah it's a difference between benefiting from a society since your childhood to when you just got a new job. I also doubt Sids will get extra merit dots like DBs or if they do it would be spread out among different options, since the stuff DBs normally benefit from, Backing, Resources, Influence etc. Is kinda hard for your Sid to retain right after Exaltation being erased from living memory thanks to Arcane Fate. So i doubt they will get them if any, in so much as much support a Lunar gets from its Shahan ya
                            They aren't just trained. They have a job get backing in the celestial order. This isn't at all like a solar or lunar who has no obligations. They have responsibilities and they get bonuses for doing their job.

Normal character creation was given for ronin because they had freedom but no backing.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                              I think if anything a few Merits might be assumed. Like, Backing in one of the Factions might be one thing but you won't need it for the Bureaus, and you probably have some Merits you can't even get like Command, Followers, Influence or Sobriquet. A lot of the things you'd spend Merits on, living in Heaven might just let you assume you ahve and the Merits they do get then would be towards things specific to the character htere, like their standing in a Faction (Backing) and such.

And stuff.

Comment

We'll have to see. It was always interesting to see sidereals so stacked compared to others because it showed that sidereals had a level of organization present in no other exalt.

Such as, say, Dragon-Blooded?

Comment

Working...
                                X