3rd Ed Sidereals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    A lot of the things you'd spend Merits on, living in Heaven might just let you assume you ahve
    Dynasts don't even get any Merits by default. They get additional dots to spend towards a number of Merits representing their background, but you still have to actually put the dots into, say, Resources, and that ends up taking dots from something else. If you don't put dots into Resources, you have to place your Dynast character into that context.

I can't imagine it will be any different for Sidereals. You might get some extra to round out what you might need, but you still need to put something towards your Salary if you don't intend to play a character whose initial payment situation hasn't been distinctly slashed.

I would say that there's nothing in the Sidereal background that precludes starting off as somebody who has made some mistakes or had some misfortunes that starts them off disadvantaged. Responsibilities can be handed down with circumstantially limited support, and bonuses can be squandered.

Especially in the Time of Tumult, when their attention is stretched thin.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post

Such as, say, Dragon-Blooded?
      Yes. Which is why dragon blooded didn't get as much as sidereals did.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Dynasts don't even get any Merits by default. They get additional dots to spend towards a number of Merits representing their background, but you still have to actually put the dots into, say, Resources, and that ends up taking dots from something else. If you don't put dots into Resources, you have to place your Dynast character into that context.

I can't imagine it will be any different for Sidereals. You might get some extra to round out what you might need, but you still need to put something towards your Salary if you don't intend to play a character whose initial payment situation hasn't been distinctly slashed.

I would say that there's nothing in the Sidereal background that precludes starting off as somebody who has made some mistakes or had some misfortunes that starts them off disadvantaged. Responsibilities can be handed down with circumstantially limited support, and bonuses can be squandered.

Especially in the Time of Tumult, when their attention is stretched thin.
        Dragon blooded gets 3 more merits than solars and depending on whether they live in a super rich place 5 additional merits on merits like resources and 3 more bonus points. It's not an quite the same as extra abilities but it's quite a notable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
          Yes. Which is why dragon blooded didn't get as much as sidereals did.

No, I mean that Dragon-Blooded get infrastructure on par with most Sids. As I said, I'm quite sure 28 dots is how pretty much all Exalts are gonna go and Sids are no difference. Regardless of past editions and how they did things.

Comment

Dragon blooded gets 3 more merits than solars and depending on whether they live in a super rich place 5 additional merits on merits like resources and 3 more bonus points. It's not an quite the same as extra abilities but it's quite a notable difference.
            Sidereals might get a difference like that, sure. Perhaps not as much, since I'd warrant that those extra Merit dots and bonus points aren't just for their background, but for how long they've been doing Exalted things.

Your basic starting Sidereal has been doing Exalted things for no longer than your starting Solar has, and while it may be structured and your day-to-day needs have been very much met, being so green and low on the totem pole might not yet amount to much, especially in a time when the Sidereals are more hard pressed.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

No, I mean that Dragon-Blooded get infrastructure on par with most Sids. As I said, I'm quite sure 28 dots is how pretty much all Exalts are gonna go and Sids are no difference. Regardless of past editions and how they did things.
              I mean they explicity didn't which is why basic salary was pretty much resources 5 but it could just translate to extra merits and bonus points like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                but for how long they've been doing Exalted things.
                =
                I think that is how it would go, since in the case of DBs, starting at e1 doesn't give you any bonus merit points but the same number as Solars and Lunars.

Comment

I mean they explicity didn't which is why basic salary was pretty much resources 5 but it could just translate to extra merits and bonus points like them.

Salary is likely gone as well. Iron Siaka in Adversaries is an Essence 3 Bronze Faction Sidereal and she has Resources 2.

Comment

Salary is likely gone as well. Iron Siaka in Adversaries is an Essence 3 Bronze Faction Sidereal and she has Resources 2.
                    We'll see if that's a placeholder. Because salary IS a key facet of sidereal background due to how yu-shan is.
                    Last edited by Epimetheus; 04-29-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

We'll see if that's shorthand or not. Because salary IS a key facet of sidereal.

Was. We have no idea how they currently work.

Comment

We'll see if that's a placeholder. Because salary IS a key facet of sidereal background due to how yu-shan is.
                        For the first, I feel as though Salary doesn't necessarily equate to Sidereals being afforded greater resources, but is a matter of the exchange rate.

That is to say, you can exchange a coin of ambrosia for a coin of jade by spending a mote. In Heaven, that will buy you a song, because Heaven is awash with luxury. In Creation, that will buy you a small house. I don't think either has much to do with how they're trained.

Salary is no less important for Sidereals than Resources is for Dynasts, and yet you still start with 0 and have to dedicate dots to actually play somebody living at the minimum expected lifestyle of a Prince of the Earth.

Comment

I'm slightly wary of their ability to fight battle groups in their own games.

Due to the focus on martial arts your typical Sidereal circle has a predisposition to have a number of unarmoured or lightly armoured characters and excellencies with (+essence) defence won't be much help there while the PCs are low essence. Like we're not talking about a circle of Sidereals making a stand against an army so much as encountering a bunch of hungry ghosts while investigating a new Shadowland.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                          Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                            I'm slightly wary of their ability to fight battle groups in their own games.

Due to the focus on martial arts your typical Sidereal circle has a predisposition to have a number of unarmoured or lightly armoured characters and excellencies with (+essence) defence won't be much help there while the PCs are low essence. Like we're not talking about a circle of Sidereals making a stand against an army so much as encountering a bunch of hungry ghosts while investigating a new Shadowland.
                            We don't really know until we see the charmset.

Comment

The previews in Adversaries of the Righteous were pretty accurate for Dragon-Blooded and Lunars at least as far something as basic as dice caps.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

They’ll presumably still have their TN manipulator charms too. If they can use that offensively and give people trying to hit them TN 8 or 9 and/or remove double 10s, that should give them a significant enough defense bonus to handle anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X