3rd Ed Sidereals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
    Considering he's much older than raksi he should be at least at 8. Even in the first edition i remember it being implied that he was at 8 or 9.

Being older than her does not mean he has a higher Essence. He could have lesser Essence, even. Age matters when determining Essence, but not to the extent that you cannot see a Shogunate Elder outstripping a First Age or even Divine Revolution Elder at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Interestingly, 5000 doesn't mean he was born shortly after the Primordial War anymore, since they seem to have moved from the Primordial War ending 5000 years ago to the First Age being 5000 years long.
      Unless the lore changed raksi was born around the near end of the first age where as kejak was born near the beginning. Now, he's probably near the middle but he probably still had time to raise his essence before usurpation. Moreover, most of his work is probably delegated unless sidereals manage to acquire the best multitasking charms in the game.

Comment

Unless the lore changed raksi was born around the near end of the first age where as kejak was born near the beginning. Now, he's probably near the middle but he probably still had time to raise his essence before usurpation. Moreover, most of his work is probably delegated unless sidereals manage to acquire the best multitasking charms in the game.
        Raksi being born shortly before the Usurpation was only from 2e. It's not said much on her in the 3e write-up besides her being a philsopher and scholar anda ll that before it, so she may or may not be.

A big thing on Essence this edition seems to be whether the person like, cares enough to do it or not. Raksi does. Chejob while having a lot of delegated tasks, is always depicted as a selfless workaholic, not the sort to have minions do all the tedious stuff so he can sit on a mountain.

And stuff.
        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post

Raksi being born shortly before the Usurpation was only from 2e. It's not said much on her in the 3e write-up besides her being a philsopher and scholar anda ll that before it, so she may or may not be.

A big thing on Essence this edition seems to be whether the person like, cares enough to do it or not. Raksi does. Chejob while having a lot of delegated tasks, is always depicted as a selfless workaholic, not the sort to have minions do all the tedious stuff so he can sit on a mountain.
          Perhaps but I do find it hard to believe that the preeminent sidereal has low essence for an elder his age.

Comment

Perhaps but I do find it hard to believe that the preeminent sidereal has low essence for an elder his age.
            I don't since Essence rating isn't an IC thing and as stated a few times, it's not something that in itself gives you political power. There's no "Need Essence this refined to play" card about and a lot of his power comes from political weight, more than his magicalness IMHO.

And stuff.

Comment

I don't since Essence rating isn't an IC thing and as stated a few times, it's not something that in itself gives you political power. There's no "Need Essence this refined to play" card about and a lot of his power comes from political weight, more than his magicalness IMHO.
              I disagree because both of them are pretty important. Especially when it comes to Yu-shan where Essence and magicalness is part of surviving in yu-shan especially it's politics.

Comment

I disagree because both of them are pretty important. Especially when it comes to Yu-shan where Essence and magicalness is part of surviving in yu-shan especially it's politics.
                Higher Essence does nothing for his ability to be a good politican and administrator. Stats don't get any higher, and his ability to have connections with people isn't either. Essence being thsi dick-measuring stat that is super important to gods probably matters less this edition than you know, what actual political clout the god has and personal ability to do shit. I think the entire idea that you're judged by how many dots in magic stat you have is probably irrelevant in general since well, it's no more relevant in heavenly politics in my mind than it would be my ability to weight press says somethinga bout my ability to participate in DC politics.

And stuff.

Comment

Higher Essence does nothing for his ability to be a good politican and administrator. Stats don't get any higher, and his ability to have connections with people isn't either. Essence being thsi dick-measuring stat that is super important to gods probably matters less this edition than you know, what actual political clout the god has and personal ability to do shit. I think the entire idea that you're judged by how many dots in magic stat you have is probably irrelevant in general since well, it's no more relevant in heavenly politics in my mind than it would be my ability to weight press says somethinga bout my ability to participate in DC politics.
                  My point has more to his ability to be able to defend himself especially versus people who do want to kill him. His original background not only put him as one of the best politicians in creation but also one of the best fighters and his ability to defend himself against assassins would be a necessary trait to have in the vicious circle of yu-shan politics.

Also I'll just cut to where it explicitly says it in 1e. Page 80 of sidereals.

....Gods prostate themselves before him, and he has long since mastered all the martial arts of his order. His greatest skill is his mastery of astrology, allowing him to read the future in the flows of Essence from the Loom of Fate. He uses this knowledge to choose his course of action, never wavering once it is set.
                  It also talks about how good his lore and sorcery are but I feel like this was probably the most important part. The book also calls him the wisest and most powerful sidereal and possibly the most powerful living exalt and not just because his political grasp.
                  Last edited by Epimetheus; 06-14-2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

My point has more to his ability to be able to defend himself
                    If that's your point, then your point is blatantly wrong. This is third edition; Essence 6+ isn't a new tier of power.

For example, just on on May 29th the Devs said:

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                    6+ is all plateau. We don't want players to feel that they need shenanigans to hit Essence 6 or 7+ in order to play in the big leagues.
                    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    Don't make them mechanically more powerful than Essence 5 Charms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verzio View Post
                      If that's your point, then your point is blatantly wrong. This is third edition; Essence 6+ isn't a new tier of power.

For example, just on on May 29th the Devs said:
                      That's fine but that doesn't really change what I said. Not having them more mechanically powerful than E5 doesn't mean that a man of kejak's capabilities should be at low essence given his original write up. Kejak was a man who not only spent his life working towards his goals but also trained his body and his mind and his mystical powers.

Comment

• Yeah, that's fair. If being Essence 8 doesn't give Chejop loads of power, that doesn't mean he's not essence 8... in fact, it maybe means him being essence 8 is less problematic for the game.

My characters:
                        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          Yeah, that's fair. If being Essence 8 doesn't give Chejop loads of power, that doesn't mean he's not essence 8... in fact, it maybe means him being essence 8 is less problematic for the game.
                          It'll be interesting to see how SMA works now, especially considering that Chejop's original write up said he basically mastered them all. Now, it'll obviously be weaker than it used to be but the real question is if some SMA will still have high essence values and the what the implications of those higher essence values are as well.

Comment

• Didn't the devs said that Sidereal Martial Arts would start on Essence 4? If so, I figure they'd be Essence 4 and 5, since they don't want to have any Charms that require Essence 6 or higher.

Comment

• I didn't read much of Exalted except the splats of 3e, but the core book puts a lot of emphasis on Sideral Martial Arts as being very core to their concepts. If you can't use it before essence 4 (so something like 35 seances I believe) it'd be a mistake I believe, except if they have a special connection so SMA which let them learn it from low essence or something I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                                I didn't read much of Exalted except the splats of 3e, but the core book puts a lot of emphasis on Sideral Martial Arts as being very core to their concepts. If you can't use it before essence 4 (so something like 35 seances I believe) it'd be a mistake I believe, except if they have a special connection so SMA which let them learn it from low essence or something I guess
                                We'll be waiting a few years before finding out how they work.

Comment

Working...
                                X