Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Promoting or transferring gods, even temporarily?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting or transferring gods, even temporarily?

I am working on a 2E story revolving around defeating the Mask of Winters, and one of the plot points revolves around sacrificing hundreds of small, corrupted gods of murder to Cecelyne in the heart of Thorns in order to turn it into a major beachhead of Cecelyne with custom charms that will allow it to consume even a shadowland. A task that might be both easier and more interesting if the gods could be temporarily made into Celestial rather than Terrestrial.

Can anyone recommend how this might be accomplished, even for a few hours? I assume that this requires more than just some paperwork, and my understanding of how the Bureau of Heaven works is limited.

When you say small gods I'm guessing we're talking the equivalents of Dryads being the spirits of individual trees or groves and this isn't a ritual involving the sacrifice of the least god of every item in the entire town's wardrobes, right?

In a purely fiat method, you'd need offerings and rituals. Just cram up how much offering and worship these individual gods get in as much force as you can. Like having custom made ritual sacrifices dedicated these spirits would probably be justified in getting them a boost. If you can figure out a way to sacrifice ghosts too go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
      In a purely fiat method, you'd need offerings and rituals. Just cram up how much offering and worship these individual gods get in as much force as you can. Like having custom made ritual sacrifices dedicated these spirits would probably be justified in getting them a boost.
      If you read the OP, what he's asking for isn't how to give the gods a power boost - he wants to give these gods official positions in the various offices in Yu-Shan. And just praying a lot ain't gonna do that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        If you read the OP, what he's asking for isn't how to give the gods a power boost - he wants to give these gods official positions in the various offices in Yu-Shan. And just praying a lot ain't gonna do that.
        Right, but recall 2E also tied power level to ones office. A celestial diety was more powerful than a terrestrial one Granny Brightness even being noted to have lost essence levels because she took over a post as a city god and no longer her vengeance/assassin portfolio. Merc was stating that it might be easier/ more interesting. And I fail to see how just a title would make the job easier, whereas 2e also stated that making a thing more important could lead to a god's ascension in the ranks, mass sacrifice, worship, and ritual dedicated to a thing might be able to get that god's portfolio listed up a few notches in the celestial beauracracy.

Comment

I should perhaps have gone over the text of the base Charm: HOLY LAND INFLICTION - “...More importantly, the blight has the potential for growth if the supplicant ritually executes a god or Exalt as an offering in this way, with Dragon-Blooded/ Terrestrial deities adding (the victim’s Essence rating x 100) square yards or (Essence x 500) square yards for Celestial gods and Exalted.” Basically, I want the protagonists to do this as their opening salvo to all of Thorns in my story.

As I understand it, if you have an official position in Yu-Shan, even if it is as the butler or hound of a super high ranking god or goddess, you are technically a Celestial god. I am wondering if some minor gods like bloody hands or those minor forest gods that were corrupted by shadow lands into gods of murder could be turned into Celestial deities temporarily via a temporary reassignment. I assume this costs heaven some sort of mojo/ambrosia but I am unclear on this.
          Last edited by Mercurial; 04-28-2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
            Right, but recall 2E also tied power level to ones office. A celestial diety was more powerful than a terrestrial one Granny Brightness even being noted to have lost essence levels because she took over a post as a city god and no longer her vengeance/assassin portfolio. Merc was stating that it might be easier/ more interesting. And I fail to see how just a title would make the job easier, whereas 2e also stated that making a thing more important could lead to a god's ascension in the ranks, mass sacrifice, worship, and ritual dedicated to a thing might be able to get that god's portfolio listed up a few notches in the celestial beauracracy.
            That was actually started in 1e. It was actually pretty rough because you could only lose or gain about 2 essense. Which meant that attempting to take over a job higher than your station would make you literally unqualified but seeing as how ahlat is e7 and he didn't start at e5 there must be more too it.

Also, getting prayer for it won't help. That'll just get you killed or jailed in yushan you have to be adminstratively promoted.

Little gods of murder would be rank 1 and be working under other gods of murder. It's like a corporate ladder. You have to work your way to the top through bribery backstabing and sabatoging the guy in charge.

And no terrestial gods cannot be promoted to celestial. City gods are in a weird grey area where they are considered both terrestial and celestial gods at the same. Some celestial gods have terrestrial purviews but not terrestrial god has a celestial purview. It's why yushan and creation gods don't get along.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post

That was actually started in 1e. It was actually pretty rough because you could only lose or gain about 2 essense. Which meant that attempting to take over a job higher than your station would make you literally unqualified but seeing as how ahlat is e7 and he didn't start at e5 there must be more too it.

Also, getting prayer for it won't help. That'll just get you killed or jailed in yushan you have to be adminstratively promoted.

Little gods of murder would be rank 1 and be working under other gods of murder. It's like a corporate ladder. You have to work your way to the top through bribery backstabing and sabatoging the guy in charge.

And no terrestial gods cannot be promoted to celestial. City gods are in a weird grey area where they are considered both terrestial and celestial gods at the same. Some celestial gods have terrestrial purviews but not terrestrial god has a celestial purview. It's why yushan and creation gods don't get along.
              Ah, thanks for the clarification then. I’ll just compensate with special hearthstones and an Artifact sacrificial dagger.
              Last edited by Mercurial; 04-29-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X