Ignoring Aura Options.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignoring Aura Options.

OK so after a discussion with my players it appears Aura is a deal breaker. So anyone got any ideas of houserules to get past this?. What breaks if I just ignore this?.

Aura unfortunately is a linchpin mechanic. I believe there are a few homebrews that don't have it. A clutch of dragons was one. Personally, i don't think much breaks with full access but I would treat off element moves with a slight xp surcharge to balance things out a bit.
    Last edited by Epimetheus; 04-29-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

It's always on but you can't combo two things that need different ones, maybe?

Comment

What was the main problem they had with it? That will help figure out what bits to keep.

Comment

If its problematic just treat yourself as having a 24/7 omni-aura. It makes DB's way stronger but I don't think it breaks anything.

MA's may require a tiny bit more tweaking tho.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
          Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

It breaks a few Lore charms that mess with aura, like the one that gives your aura to someone else, and depending on how you run it it can make them pretty drastically more powerful, but not so much that they’ll be more broken than Solars.

Like for example if charms that say “you may expend your aura to blah blah blah” and they always have that effect, and then you combo that charm with a signature charm of another element, it’s a power boost to be sure. Especially at Essence 5 when you can start combining multiple different aspected signature charms. If you can handle Solar power though you can handle that easy.

Oh yeah and comboing IMAs becomes very attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
              It breaks a few Lore charms that mess with aura, like the one that gives your aura to someone else, and depending on how you run it it can make them pretty drastically more powerful, but not so much that they’ll be more broken than Solars.

Like for example if charms that say “you may expend your aura to blah blah blah” and they always have that effect, and then you combo that charm with a signature charm of another element, it’s a power boost to be sure. Especially at Essence 5 when you can start combining multiple different aspected signature charms. If you can handle Solar power though you can handle that easy.

Oh yeah and comboing IMAs becomes very attractive.
              I would put aura effects as repurchases or anima effects that take 2-3 anima. The problem is some auras are the only thing making a charm useful. So you'd have to look at every power and then determine what would need restrictions and what wouldn't.

Also, combing IMA should be attractive. Being a dragon blooded who mastered all five dragon styles should be fearsome not a joke.
              Last edited by Epimetheus; 04-29-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

All five dragon styles feels like making a 5 colour deck in magic. It's potentially powerful, but you need to know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  All five dragon styles feels like making a 5 colour deck in magic. It's potentially powerful, but you need to know what you're doing.
                  Have you read the styles as written? It'd be like a five colored deck that knee caps itself because it went five colors instead of mono. They don't work together at all in this edition.

Comment

....When is it advisable to mix decks that much in magic? Your not supposed to try to mix them that much. To make it work you have to be an oddity, Like Myrrun. Myrrun isn't normal and that what makes him scary. Outside of him I haven't heard of any IM that try to mix the styles
                    Last edited by Iceblade44; 04-29-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                      ....When is it advisable to mix decks that much in magic? Your not supposed to try to mix them that much. To make it work you have to be an oddity, Like Myrrun. Myrrun isn't normal and that what makes him scary. Outside of him I haven't heard of any IM that try to mix the styles
                      Five color decks can be unstoppable if you have the right cards. Due to how the best land cards are insanely expensive. it's just throwing money at your table to make it work. Also, two to three color decks are the norm depending on the lands you can acquire. I mean it's kind of a poor analogy.

In previous editions, you'd have dragon blooded with multiple styles outside of Myrrun but now any dragon blooded who tries it just screws himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post

I would put aura effects as repurchases or anima effects that take 2-3 anima. The problem is some auras are the only thing making a charm useful. So you'd have to look at every power and then determine what would need restrictions and what wouldn't.

Also, combing IMA should be attractive. Being a dragon blooded who mastered all five dragon styles should be fearsome not a joke.
                        That’s true, also it won’t even be as overpowered as comboing an IMA with half of the overpowered corebook styles. Fire Dragon with Steel Devil, Snake and Air Dragon, ect.

Comment

That first example is kind of a not a good example because fire dragon sucks and so does steel devil.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                            That first example is kind of a not a good example because fire dragon sucks and so does steel devil.
                            Steel Devil sucks against very high skill opponents, and is complete garbage agains anyone with a good onslaught penalty negator, but Fire Dragon is okay, and the two of them together are completely bonkerz.

First turn spend 15m to activate Naked Fang Draw and Flash Fire Technique. Beat everyone in initiative and reflexively fill up your offhand charge, as well as enter Comsuming Might of the Fire Dragon, to ensure that you go first even if you dumped a bunch of initiative into your charge. Then attack and even against foes with 5 Defense you only need 9 successes to Triple Attack Technique them, and even with the terrestrial keyword it’ll make your attack deal +17 withering damage plus any remaining overflow successes, and then activate Steel Devil Strike, which gets (Dexterity) overflow successes to damage because of Flash Fire Technique, one die for Consuming Might of the Fire Dragon, and a full excellency of successes on the attack roll, not that it really matters because their Defense is at -4 due to onslaught, and now every one of your allies has that benefit as well.

If you’re facing a Dawn with a medium weapon and Hail Shattering Practice, it’s trash, if you’re facing a stone skinned earth elemental with 20 soak, 30 health levels and 12 Hardness, it’s great.

EDIT: actually forget what I said, it’s still good against a lot of high skill opponents, just as long as they don’t have a good onslaught penalty negator. I forgot about the trick of delaying your action until after the enemy, attacking them to knock their initiative down below yours, then attacking them again right after once the round resets. With that strategy even if they have a Defense of 7 all you need to do is hit 11 successes on the first attack to get a double and then triple attack off. That’s also assuming you’re alone too, which most PCs should almost never be.
                            Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Steel Devil sucks against very high skill opponents, and is complete garbage agains anyone with a good onslaught penalty negator, but Fire Dragon is okay, and the two of them together are completely bonkerz.

First turn spend 15m to activate Naked Fang Draw and Flash Fire Technique. Beat everyone in initiative and reflexively fill up your offhand charge, as well as enter Comsuming Might of the Fire Dragon, to ensure that you go first even if you dumped a bunch of initiative into your charge. Then attack and even against foes with 5 Defense you only need 9 successes to Triple Attack Technique them, and even with the terrestrial keyword it’ll make your attack deal +17 withering damage plus any remaining overflow successes, and then activate Steel Devil Strike, which gets (Dexterity) overflow successes to damage because of Flash Fire Technique, one die for Consuming Might of the Fire Dragon, and a full excellency of successes on the attack roll, not that it really matters because their Defense is at -4 due to onslaught, and now every one of your allies has that benefit as well.

If you’re facing a Dawn with a medium weapon and Hail Shattering Practice, it’s trash, if you’re facing a stone skinned earth elemental with 20 soak, 30 health levels and 12 Hardness, it’s great.

EDIT: actually forget what I said, it’s still good against a lot of high skill opponents, just as long as they don’t have a good onslaught penalty negator. I forgot about the trick of delaying your action until after the enemy, attacking them to knock their initiative down below yours, then attacking them again right after once the round resets. With that strategy even if they have a Defense of 7 all you need to do is hit 11 successes on the first attack to get a double and then triple attack off. That’s also assuming you’re alone too, which most PCs should almost never be.

I would try to stop assuming everyone is Essence 5 in test scenarios. Consuming Might of the Fire Dragon is not a balance point for how bad the style is in general, which is mostly a symptom of it being an alpha strike style. And most games stop by E3, let alone 4 or 5, so you never get to use those.

Comment

Working...
                              X