Expanding the Immaculate Armory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding the Immaculate Armory

I've commented on other threads on the fact that any Dragon Blooded who are heavily invested in martial arts are essentially required to eventually invest into their aspect's immaculate style at least up to the form, and therefore it sucks that all of the dragon styles have very narrow weapon compatibility choices.

So why not change that? If we wanted to houserule the Immaculate Dragon Styles to increase the number of weapons they can use, which ones would best fit each style's themes and aesthetics?

I think it would be okay if we gave Air Dragon knives, since the style already has an assassin-y thing going on and knives can also be thrown, although their range is worse than a chakram's. SO the choice between the two would come down to whether you prefer better range and a returning weapon or more flexibility in MA combos. Knives are used in Ebon Shadow and Swaying Grass Dance.
    It also has a lot of wind blasts and stuff so I guess we could give it fans? that would open up Mantis, Crane and Laughing Monster.

Earth Dragon is smashy, so the first thing that comes to mind are of course smashfists, which are nice, but don't really change much since the style can already make smashing attacks unarmed and the only other style that allows them is Falcon Style. But, it also has a few earth-shattering stomps and whatnot, so how about giving it iron boots? Now that's a lot more interesting. that would let you use Falcon, Centipede and Swaying Grass Dance together with it.

I'm kinda stumped when it comes to Fire Dragon, since I don't have a very good mental image for it other than "aggressive and fiery". I guess nothing breaks if you give it hook swords? They're cool iconic martial arts weapons and they are used by Snake, Mantis, Crane and Centipede.

Water Dragon already has it pretty good with tiger claws; it's the most flexible of the 5 by default. If I wanted to add to that, something flowy... maybe seven-section staves? They're also cool and popular. Styles that use them include Snake, Mantis and Centipede.

Wood is also pretty okay, and I don't know many weapons that could fit well with the whole pressure-point idea. Allowing shorter batons would let it combine with Mantis. Maybe needles, as long as they are wooden? Those aren't in White Veil and that style doesn't have any poisons or diseases or anything else that fits wood's elemental wheelhouse. Maybe seven-section staves too?

Ideally I'd like to come up with at least 1 additional weapon for each style, preferably more. What do people think? Any other/better weapon ideas? What's an MA combo that you definitely wouldn't want to enable that we should watch out for? (aside from Single Point obviously).

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
    I've commented on other threads on the fact that any Dragon Blooded who are heavily invested in martial arts are essentially required to eventually invest into their aspect's immaculate style at least up to the form, and therefore it sucks that all of the dragon styles have very narrow weapon compatibility choices.

So why not change that? If we wanted to houserule the Immaculate Dragon Styles to increase the number of weapons they can use, which ones would best fit each style's themes and aesthetics?

I think it would be okay if we gave Air Dragon knives, since the style already has an assassin-y thing going on and knives can also be thrown, although their range is worse than a chakram's. SO the choice between the two would come down to whether you prefer better range and a returning weapon or more flexibility in MA combos. Knives are used in Ebon Shadow and Swaying Grass Dance.
    It also has a lot of wind blasts and stuff so I guess we could give it fans? that would open up Mantis, Crane and Laughing Monster.

Earth Dragon is smashy, so the first thing that comes to mind are of course smashfists, which are nice, but don't really change much since the style can already make smashing attacks unarmed and the only other style that allows them is Falcon Style. But, it also has a few earth-shattering stomps and whatnot, so how about giving it iron boots? Now that's a lot more interesting. that would let you use Falcon, Centipede and Swaying Grass Dance together with it.

I'm kinda stumped when it comes to Fire Dragon, since I don't have a very good mental image for it other than "aggressive and fiery". I guess nothing breaks if you give it hook swords? They're cool iconic martial arts weapons and they are used by Snake, Mantis, Crane and Centipede.

Water Dragon already has it pretty good with tiger claws; it's the most flexible of the 5 by default. If I wanted to add to that, something flowy... maybe seven-section staves? They're also cool and popular. Styles that use them include Snake, Mantis and Centipede.

Wood is also pretty okay, and I don't know many weapons that could fit well with the whole pressure-point idea. Allowing shorter batons would let it combine with Mantis. Maybe needles, as long as they are wooden? Those aren't in White Veil and that style doesn't have any poisons or diseases or anything else that fits wood's elemental wheelhouse. Maybe seven-section staves too?

Ideally I'd like to come up with at least 1 additional weapon for each style, preferably more. What do people think? Any other/better weapon ideas? What's an MA combo that you definitely wouldn't want to enable that we should watch out for? (aside from Single Point obviously).

Air Dragon could get knives and fans, Earth could get iron boots, Fire could get the obvious firewands and flamepieces to combo with Righteous Devil or it could get spears to combo with White Reaper, Golden Janissary (both of which have flame-y powers). Water Dragon could get the whip to combo with Dreaming Pearl and Laughing Monster, both very fluid and dick-ish like Water Aspects are. Wood could get batons but overall it already has great compatibility. Seven section staves would be my first guess.

Comment

I’ll second Air getting knives and fans. Earth the boosts work well, other appropriate options don’t really open up many styles. For Fire you could use just regular slashing swords to let it combo with Single Point. Water getting seven section staves to let it pair up with Snake would definitely be nice. You might be able to do ribbons and stuff to pair with DPC with Woods whole fascination thing.

Comment

wood style should work with wooden ladders...

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
          I’ll second Air getting knives and fans. Earth the boosts work well, other appropriate options don’t really open up many styles. For Fire you could use just regular slashing swords to let it combo with Single Point. Water getting seven section staves to let it pair up with Snake would definitely be nice. You might be able to do ribbons and stuff to pair with DPC with Woods whole fascination thing.
          There is no point to combining with single point. That is a bad bad style for terrestrials. They cannot keep the style going at the level they need to with aura expenditures.

No, change the swords to hook swords and you get much more out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post

There is no point to combining with single point. That is a bad bad style for terrestrials. They cannot keep the style going at the level they need to with aura expenditures.

No, change the swords to hook swords and you get much more out of it.

Untrue. Gathering Light Concentration is an incredibly useful pairing with Fire Dragon Form and Flame-Flicker Stance, Shining Starfall Execution is risky and expensive but massively increases Fire Dragon's Alpha Strike potential, the Form can still be used to flurry things like Aim and attacks and other similar shenanigans as well as two possible clashes a round, Fatal Stroke Flash's Terrestrial condition is REALLY good paired with Fire Dragon Form's defensive clause (And its actual effect is amazing given how much Fire Dragon promotes lowering an enemy's initiative a ton), Liquid Steel Flow is meh with the Terrestrial limitation but it's still a +5 to withering attack which Fire Dragon lacks, Void-Slicing Wind is INSANE with Aura-Perfect Blazing Blow and Fatal Stroke Flash, Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash is amazing along all other decisive boosters, Six-Demon Scabbard Binding gives it utility that DBs won't find in their own Charmset, and Blinding Nova Flare is pretty good although not super capstoney for DBs.

Then you remember you can spend Fire Aura to treat Single Point as neutral instead of Terrestrial for a tick and make an insane alpha strike at that moment.

Comment

Like you can do that but most that style has extreme terrestrial limitations that other styles don't.

Comment

Limitations that don't make it bad at all for Terrestrials and which actually combo REALLY good with Fire Dragon.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                  Limitations that don't make it bad at all for Terrestrials and which actually combo REALLY good with Fire Dragon.
                  I mean the form is really much different for terrestrials than it is for lunars or solars. Then you have fatal stroke flash which only works after you parry and attack and they lose more initiative than you. And pretty much every charm after the post soak limited in some way. So you either lose fire aura effects or have a pretty limited shining void style.

Comment

I mean the form is really much different for terrestrials than it is for lunars or solars. Then you have fatal stroke flash which only works after you parry and attack and they lose more initiative than you. And pretty much every charm after the post soak limited in some way. So you either lose fire aura effects or have a pretty limited shining void style.

People overestimate the Form Charm. If you combo Fire Dragon and Single Point, you want to be in FD Form; the parry-and-lose-more-initiative is GREATLY aided by FD form and Gathering Light Concentration is great when paired with pre-attack onslaught. Losing Fire Aura is worth shedding Terrestrial since you'll gain it back by the end of your turn anyway as long as you use a single FD Charm.

Comment

People overestimate the Form Charm. If you combo Fire Dragon and Single Point, you want to be in FD Form; the parry-and-lose-more-initiative is GREATLY aided by FD form and Gathering Light Concentration is great when paired with pre-attack onslaught. Losing Fire Aura is worth shedding Terrestrial since you'll gain it back by the end of your turn anyway as long as you use a single FD Charm.
                      Isn't there a turn where you lose it? I was under the reading that you have to wait a turn after you expend the aura. Also, I feel like Hook swords open way more up.
                      Last edited by Epimetheus; 05-03-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Isn't there a turn where you lose it? I was under the reading that you have to wait a turn after you expend the aura. Also, I feel like Hook swords open way more up.

Hook Swords aren't very fitting of Fire imo. I'd prefer Spears.

Comment

I would not recommend giving any style a ranged weapon that doesn’t already have one, since that can just destroy balance. I also worry about allowing anything to freely combo with Single Point, since that’s one that usually can’t combo at all.

That said, I’ll admit I’m curious now how well FD and SP would work together and whether they synergize well enough that it would make FD “worth” taking and just how powerful the resulting combo would be for a DB and for a Solar.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                            I would not recommend giving any style a ranged weapon that doesn’t already have one, since that can just destroy balance. I also worry about allowing anything to freely combo with Single Point, since that’s one that usually can’t combo at all.

That said, I’ll admit I’m curious now how well FD and SP would work together and whether they synergize well enough that it would make FD “worth” taking and just how powerful the resulting combo would be for a DB and for a Solar.

Single Point will combo with Violet Bier of Sorrows, so it's not a hard "Should Not Combo With Stuff", much less for DBs. FD and SP do work together VERY well for the most part, as I just analyzed.

Comment

Hook Swords aren't very fitting of Fire imo. I'd prefer Spears.
                              Really, they're basically curved short swords and they give more access to styles. But a spear wouldn't be bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X