No announcement yet.

Expanding the Immaculate Armory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of Fire having spears and bayonets. That said, I'm worried that Bleeding Crescent Strike kind of does the same thing as Perfect Blazing Blow but better. It doesn't cost willpower, doesn't need you to be higher initiative, and Strength 9s is going to be better than Essence 9s for most of the game. I guess it can edge it out against crashed enemies?

Breath of the Fire Dragon though is a great way to murder battlegroups and get a bunch of halos right off the bat.

Wood Dragon is the style I'm feeling the most dubious about. Batons fit, they are basically one-handed staves, but what else? I guess doubling up on seven section staves wouldn't be the worst thing...

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
      I'm pretty much sold on the idea of Fire having spears and bayonets. That said, I'm worried that Bleeding Crescent Strike kind of does the same thing as Perfect Blazing Blow but better. It doesn't cost willpower, doesn't need you to be higher initiative, and Strength 9s is going to be better than Essence 9s for most of the game. I guess it can edge it out against crashed enemies?

Breath of the Fire Dragon though is a great way to murder battlegroups and get a bunch of halos right off the bat.

Wood Dragon is the style I'm feeling the most dubious about. Batons fit, they are basically one-handed staves, but what else? I guess doubling up on seven section staves wouldn't be the worst thing...

The thing about Perfect Blazing Blow is just a testament to how poorly costed it is. Or rather, how much it is costed around DB Charm balance instead of MA balance. You could just use both though, in which case you'd get (Essence + Strength) double 9s or (Strength) double 9s and (Essence) double 8s, plus up to +(Essence) dice of damage, which when combo'd with threshold success decisive damage adders (Flash Fire Technique for example) it VERY quickly adds up a ton of damage.

The Breath thing is a feature, not a bug, imo.

Wood Dragon can just go with seven section staves and that's it. Staves, its normal weapon, already combo with a lot, and it even lets you use bows as staves, with Wrackstaff stats if it's a Powerbow.

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
        It doesn’t quite do the same thing but better for lower cost, and it’s worth having both if you need it. Because it burns your halos, you’re going to want to save it for a decisive strike for...a half dozen reasons. It adds damage from halos which you get by crashing targets, so if you have any halos you’ve been farming initiative already, decisive attacks are a lot harder to land because you don’t add weapon accuracy, and for terrestrials it’s once/fight unless reset by gathering 3 halos so you really want to make it count.

So on a decisive strike at best you’re hovering around 20 dice, and the average number of 9s on 20 dice is 2, so on average if you’re not targeting a battlegroup you’re paying 5m and burning all your halos for 2 non-charm successes and (halos) free dice that you didn’t have to excellency. Of course it’s possible to roll up to (strength) 9s, which for a WR Stylist is almost certainly 5, but what’s more likely than that is actually rolling one, or even zero 9s, which is an almost complete waste of your motes and halos. That’s all against a single target, mind.

It gets way better against battlegroups, thankfully, because the average of 8s+9s on 20 dice is 4, so not only are you getting close to your Strength way more often, but you’re more reliably getting a good return. With the Size being added to the cap on lucky rolls you can really see a ton of overflow If you’re using it on a BG I actually suggest not using it as a decisive as well. Battlegroups tend to have lower defence and less ways to boost that defence, and you have the potential to roll so many successes over it that it will be wasted on a decisive. Really good for Cesestials who can afford to use this on every withering attack against a BG, and as a Terrestrial a good opener to try and destroy the BG and get halos, especially since grabbing those halos might reset you. Just remember that you don’t get the bonus of free excellency dice from halos if you don’t have any, and you can’t choose not to burn all your halos when you use this charm either. Also as a terrestrial you can’t activate the reset condition until you’re Essence 3.

PBB is different. It doubles 8s on crashed foes, not battlegroups, which, should be obvious, is a lot less useful against battlegroups and a lot more useful against single characters.. it also caps at Essence, so at E2 with an average of 4 8s+9s you’re pretty reliably getting those 2 successes and each one also adds 2 to your decisive damage, which Bleeding Crescent doesn’t. As you climb in essence it starts getting a lot better against anything that isn’t a battlegroup though. I know Alistair doesn’t think Essence 5 exists, but I’ve actually played in games where we started at E5 for character gen and Wizard of Oz has been playing in a game that’s been at Essence 5 for years now. At which point a terrestrial will find PBB magnitudes better against single foes, a Celestial will still get some work out of Bleeding Crescent if they want to burn halos on a withering attack, and Solars could combine both for a decisive attack that’s actually more accurate than their base withering.

And, again of course, Crescent Strike will always be more effective against battlegroups who are aren’t crashable the same way single characters are.

That’s probably a little microcosm of how the two styles will work together too. White Reaper really, really doesn’t want to be in any form other than WR form, because it can’t use halos without it. So if you’re fighting battlegroups Fire Dragon is going to be more the support style for WR madness, like it needs it. Fire doesn’t have much to offer there though. Flicker Flame Stance actively clashes with Revolving Crescent Defense, against battlegroups Essence Igniting Nerve Strike doesn’t work, and God-Immolating Strike doesn’t do much unless it’s a BG of spirits. Overwhelming Fire Majesty is good though, unless the battlegroup as a whole wants to pay a willpower to resist they’re taking a -3 to -5 penalty and an automatic level and die of lethal if they direct an attack at the character. Breath of the Fire Dragon fucks up BGs really well, but Smouldering Wound doesn’t do much and the capstone is useless because you’ll never leave White Reaper Form against a BG that’s threatening you, Fire Dragon doesn’t even help give Battlegroups onslaught penalties, they don’t take them.

WR supporting Fire Dragon against single targets doesn’t get too crazy either. If you’re in Fire Dragon Form you can’t gather halos, so forget any halo effect on the WR charms. Falling Scythe Flash is really good, just straight 5m for 5 damage. Crescent Strike is nearly useless against single targets without halos, so that’s out. Greatest Killer Attitude could actually be great because it forces Searing Edge to trigger, and with Overwhelming 4 on your artifact you’re getting a lot out of it. Enemies Like Grass is pretty expensive for what it does without halos, probably not worth it. Without halos or against a BG flickering corona is literally useless except for a Solar. Impenetrable White Shroud is really not worth it without halos, and again Snow Follows Winter is useless without the form.

So the two styles don’t combine super hard with one another. You might think that with all the reliance on halos that you should just activate WR against a single big bad enemy anyway to make the combos better, but WR is slow as hell to build halos against one tough enemy. Not only do you have to crash him, but YOU have to crash him, if your ally gets the crash you don’t get the halo, and you only get one anyway. If there’s a big bad and some lesser foes you could maybe do that, and use Impenetrable White Shield to give yourself some good solid soak boosting for the scene. You might need it too because Fire Dragon really wants 5 dex, White Reaper really wants 5 strength, and without spending Bonus Points that leaves you with Stamina 1, which is not good if you feel the campaign might progress to Essence 4 because that’s the Breath of the Fire Dragon roll.

On the other hand you’ve also got a pair of styles that do two completely different things exceptionally well, so even without the combo effects just being able to use WR to wipe out an entire army in seconds and then Fire Dragon to burn down the rogue god that summoned it is pretty good.

Comment

Just use presence and get a better version of breath of the fire dragon along with more ways to drain willpower.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I know Alistair doesn’t think Essence 5 exists, but I’ve actually played in games where we started at E5 for character gen and Wizard of Oz has been playing in a game that’s been at Essence 5 for years now.
            I am well aware that it exists, and I am well aware that some games start at Essence 5. They are also the absolute minority of games and not a balancing point for mechanics.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Fire Dragon doesn’t even help give Battlegroups onslaught penalties, they don’t take them.
            Battlegroups do take onslaught penalties.

And as a final note, in order to combo FD and WR you want to be in White Reaper Form for permanent Double 10s on all decisive damage rolls, using FD as a supplement to WR.

Comment

Working...
            X