What House Rules Do You Use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What House Rules Do You Use?

Everyone house rules something - what tweaks do you make to the Ex3 rules?

For myself:
    1. Ability minimums on charms are reduced (from 2 to 1, 3 to 2, and 4/5 to 3) so you don't need to max out an ability to "dip in" to a charm tree.
    2. Solar XP can be used on Caste/Aspect charms (so that characters without sorcery/martial arts don't wind up with character sheets covered in 4s and 5s).
    3. DragonBlooded excellencies are whatever element you want at that time, but you only get the "bonus" effect of that element if you use the RAW element (so that you only have e to go through mild contortions to use a non-Fire melee Aura charm, for example)
    4. As I regard attacks on/by Battle groups as taking longer than "normal" combat actions (I picture a single attack wiping out a 200 man BG, as a bit of a sustained assault), for quick combats I treat each combatant as like a size 0l BG, who takes HL from withering damage instead of magnitude.

We've got a fairly fast paced game going so one rule we use is that if someone makes a level two or three stunt in a session they can purchase a charm from the appropriate ability with no training time at the end of the session.

Still have to have the XP saved up though

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Some small ones about for my games:
      • Flat experience costs (Attributes 10xp each dot (8xp Caste/favored), Abilities 5xp per dot (4xp Caste/favored).
      • Characters can gain Solar Expeirence by reminding the ST about their Great Curse or actively acting in a way to trigger their LImit Break Condition.
      • Characters an also gain Solar Experience by allowing a failed roll to be a botch instead once per session.
      • Mighty Thews is a two-dot Merit so I don't have to worry about remathing it to flat xp.
      • Heavy weapons have no Defense penalty and are overwelming 2. (I feel they're a bit overly compensated damgewise.)
      Plus like three documentsworth of changes to Craft, the Lore training Charms, and the Persona tree, plus few changes here and there. But those are the big systemwide ones.

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

I’m using the Persona Charms in my game as-is, except that we clarified that buying a dot in the Abilities used in Hundred-Faced Stranger’s formula for calculating your personas’ Abilities improves the personas’ stats.

(And per Vance’s post the other day, a persona gets XP when the Solar is the beneficiary of Lore training Charms.)

Comment

From my games:

- All charms, spells & Evocation costs -2 XP (reducing the speed bumb factor);
          - Many solar charms and Evocations having repurchase don't need buy again (reducing speed bumping, again...)
          - Increased the Normal XP requirement to Increase Essence;
          - Martial Arts don't need a specific merit to learn (each Martial Arts Style need a diferent skill, this is costly enough);
          - The training time is reduced if the character have a teacher and/or dedicated full-time.
          - Diferent XP award: end of session (3 Normal XP, 2 Exalted XP), role and expression bonus (1 Normal XP and 1 Exalted XP).

Comment

Still using the elemental Crafts from 2nd Edition. Currently considering making Craft (Artifacts) into a merit allowing characters to create Artifacts using the appropriate elemental Craft, the same with Craft (Geomancy) to build Manses with Craft (Earth).

There is only one Martial Arts Ability, and each style is a separate merit.

There is only one kind of experience points.

We are experimenting with a system of "story points" that can be used to introduce story merits.

Comment

I find that there's a huge jump between a trivial opponent who dies in a single attack of any kind or is slain as a matter of course in narration, and the weakest 'non-trivial' opponents, who have to be properly engaged in combat and whose base 7 health tracks mean that even a solar with a good join battle roll can't slay them in a single decisive attack/round of combat.

We've been trying out a rule to attempt to bridge that gap to make that feel less jarring by representing very weak but not totally trivial individual opponents with the Battle Group mechanics, modelling them as a size 0 battle group. Unlike a normal battle group, these trivial, size 0 ‘groups’ don't have the area attacks of larger ‘true’ battle groups.

The reasoning is that the circle shouldn't need to waste a big decisive attack to defeat these foes and shouldn't be able to use them as free initiative either. It's come up a few times so far and it seemed to work.

We also disregarded the XP requirements for raising essence, as it happens between stories, which is much slower than expected in the book.

Comment

• FLAT EXPERIENCE COSTS! seriously, best decision ever. In that same vein we got rid of Bonus Points and just give an equivalent amount of xp at chargen.
                • Nerfed falling damage. RAW that thing is waaay too lethal and there are a ton of charms and stuff that can cause falling damage.
                • Buffed heavy weapons 'cause they suck. Gave then the same accuracy as medium ones.
                • The "Aura-Lock" mechanic is stupid and unfun so we ignore it.
                • There's a 2-dot version of the Martial Artist merit that only allows you to learn a single style. It can later be upgraded by paying the difference in cost.
                • We expanded on the Strategic Warfare system cause RAW it's an all or nothing roll and even if you win if you don't get a significant threshold nothing happens and that's boring.
                Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• At character creation, players spend exp instead of points to raise Attributes, equivalent to the exp value of min-maxing their Attributes. Min-maxing Primary Attributes would normally give a spread of 5-5-1 so players get 80 exp to spend on Primary Attributes. Likewise, Secondary is 5-3-1 so players get 52 xp, and Tertiary is 5-1-1 so players get 40 exp. That way players have many more "optimal" spreads to choose from and no one begins the game weaker than the others. It is possible to end up with leftover exp in this system, in which case the exp becomes Solar exp.
                  • Remade Solar Craft in a super-concentrated form that fits in 25 Charms instead of 56. Craft exp isn't used at all and project slots work differently. Basically for each level of project (major, superior, legendary) you have a preset number of project slots that replenishes slowly over time (higher level project slots replenish more slowly than lower level project slots). Higher level project slots are locked until you complete enough projects of the preceding level but once unlocked you get them for good.
                  Last edited by Epitome; 05-12-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I also use XP instead of BP, at all levels:

80/52/40 xp split for Attributes

84xp for Abilities

39xp for Merits

150 xp for charms

100 Bonus XP.

I've started editing some of the Craft Charms, there are just simply too many IMO.

Comment

I ignore the Martial Artist merit for Solaroids, but not for others. Have tried some other house rules when it comes to mass and naval combat but always revert to the canon rules. May consider something that writes hardness out of the game but would be too annoying due to all the charms that interact with it.

Freelance writer for Exalted | Content creator
                      Twitter | Youtube Channel | Patreon

Comment

No Training Times. I just don't want to juggle that around the frankly arbitrary time of going from island to island in the West. I understand the idea of "time training in the mountains" and the whole vibe of it, but I just want to leave all that as fluff to player discretion.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

I started out using the old elemental crafts, but I later switched to the new system.

I went through various different xp-based character gen systems. I was never 100% happy with the result (though happier than if I'd used the one in the book).
                          But now I've found a much easier way to fix character gen. Rather than house rules... I'm running a game where everyone plays Lunars. That's fixed character gen nicely. No one's got a ridiculous min-maxed character.
                          Everyone playing Lunars also solves the issue of too-high prereqs.

All-in-all, I'm finding running 0xp (well, 15 now) way easier than 400xp Solars.

So the only house-rules I have left are:
                          No training times. But you can't buy more than one dot of something a session, and it needs some justification (generally because you practiced it in-game by having to roll it; in education we call this Task-Based Learning). So right now the No Moon is teaching another character to read, but I'm not keeping track of how long it takes (whether you use training times or not, it's going to be unrealistically fast).

Also, if a crafter has

My characters:
                          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Weird, the end keeps getting eaten.

If a crafter has <10 silver points, I let them roll a Major project as a Basic Project. So it doesn't cost them Silver Points, but they only get Silver Points, not Gold.

In the very first session of 3rd ed I ran, the Supernal Crafter couldn't make a sword because... uh... the rules said so. Very immersion-breaking.

I don't generally like to add rules to Exalted. Exalted is, tbh, too complicated. There are many other games I find too simple, which makes the combats a bit boring, or they don't have mechanical support for so many different areas (it's just combat and some basic skills in a lot of games). But Exalted... is still too complex. So I don't like to make it harder for players by adding more. Whereas I'm happy to take away rules and make things simpler, like ignoring training times.

My characters:
                            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by shadowninja View Post
                              From my games:- The training time is reduced if the character have a teacher and/or dedicated full-time.
                              Just FYI That's actually in the Core rules :

Originally posted by Training Times
                              Treat these training times as a rough guideline rather than absolute quotas. Mentors and similarly skilled trainers should also reduce training times, proportionate to their skill at teaching. Likewise, these training times assume that characters balance their training time with getting other things done—a character who retreats from her other duties to pursue nothing but training could raise her traits significantly faster than the times given here.

Comment

Working...
                              X