How common are Beastmen in the West?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common are Beastmen in the West?

I'm running a game in the West, island hopping and traveling far. We've been from small islands to Bluehaven, An-Teng, Wu Jian and now Fajad. I went back to read about Fajad to prepare for next weeks game and I realized I had forgot to make their Sphinx-God-Cleric-Monsters things a part of the city (It's cool though- one of the players has a 3 dot familiar and I made it the center of attention for the session, calling it the "God-Beast"). So when next session starts and the players go to the Needle (sorcerer's tower) I will intro them to the Cleric Monsters and explain they werent out in public because it was a holy day for the conclave and they were all gathered for XYZ...

Anyway, this made me go back and double check the lore for the other cities. I used the Lintha in Bluehaven but forgot the Octopusmen and Sharkmen that exist in great enough numbers to be worth mentioning. I did include a Dogman Pirate from an old Pathfinder supplement, so at least there's that.

So that said, how common are beastmen, what types appear, where are they found, and do they have any established special culture/minority enclave/ etc?

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

The preferred term is beastfolk now.

A number of varieties got mentioned in the Luthe section of the new Lunars book, though I recall no hard numbers given.

That said, there were shark- and whale-folk, octopod-people, and more. One curious thing in the section is where it talks about language; given the way sound works underwater, quite a lot of them elect to use sign language to communicate (though some are able to make use of whale-song or the light their bodies emit to talk).
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-12-2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Yes, the West might well have more beastfolk than any other Direction, since it's an adaptation that lends itself quite readily to survival in the ocean. Large communities exist underwater, and the mutations that facilitate their survival are generally animalistic.

I don't recall past presentations ascribing the West particularly prominent communities residing on land. Probably there would be some, but likely a bit small and either obscure or heavily integrated into larger societies. I would propose that they would more commonly draw upon birds (although probably unable to fly) and reptiles, barring occasions where they're specifically descended from recent settlers.

There are more amphibious beastfolk among those of the Undersea communities, though, who'll surface and beach to engage in trade and other interactions.

Oh, and of course the Caul is home to at least three tribes, although they'll be a bit more isolationist; I recall the lion and hawkfolk, can't remember the third.
      Last edited by Isator Levi; 05-12-2019, 08:51 AM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Boarfolk I believe. There are countless tribes of beastmen IIRC, but only those three are really prominent

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
          I went back to read about Fajad to prepare for next weeks game and I realized I had forgot to make their Sphinx-God-Cleric-Monsters things a part of the city
          I think I've missed something. Their what?

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post
            I think I've missed something. Their what?
            I dont have the book on me now, but Fajad does not adhere to the Immaculate Truth. They worship the gods in their own way, and the gods are like Judges of old, kinda. There's a picture of one thats looks Sphinxlike to me

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

What book is this? Fajad is supposed to be the The Realm (there was a text-only preview during the WFHW Kickstarter), and that book is not out yet.

Comment

Working...
              X