No announcement yet.

Feeling Limited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, my group has never used Limit at all. We excise it entirely and it doesn’t really affect anything at all. It just means that when an Exalt does terrible things, it’s because they did terrible things. No curse necessary.

Comment

Honestly it's probably one of the easiest parts of the game to ignore. Not much else interacts with it.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I would recommend that if you don’t like Solar Limit mechanic, but want the Great Curse represented, use the Dragon-Blooded rules. Drop the normal conditions for Solar XP, and instead grant Solar XP when the player role plays their character’s heroic-flaw in an entertaining way in a situation that creates a complication for the character in the narrative. Pure carrot, no stick, fully under player control.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
          Honestly, my group has never used Limit at all. We excise it entirely and it doesn’t really affect anything at all. It just means that when an Exalt does terrible things, it’s because they did terrible things. No curse necessary.
          Well yes, that goes without saying.

Quick straw poll, BTW - Has anybody here ever used WP to the point where the "1 WP from a good night's sleep" wasn't enough and they REALLY needed a Limit Break for the Willpower Refresh? I admit that unless a Charm calls for it I never actually remember to use WP.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I frequently run out of wp, just because there's actually quite a lot of charms that cost wp. A couple of sessions ago I spent 4wp in one scene because I kept rolling badly with the interrogation charm from Investigation and trying again.

It was way worse in 2nd ed when I was playing a sorcerer (sorcery's not quite as expensive these days).

The other thing is if in a day I only spend 2 wp, I get 1 back from sleep... but I'm still 1 down. So if I spend 2wp again the next day, then I'm 2 down... it adds up.

But limit breaks are way, way too uncommon for that to be a useful way to regen willpower.

However, I just recently found out (never noticed it before) that you get all your Wp back at the end of a Story. That's not super common either, but it's common enough to be helpful. Certainly more common than Limit.

My characters:
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

My Solar has the Lore Charm which lets you give your own wp to other people, so it's actually easy for me to run out. Plus the Infaillible Messenger sorcery which lets you send SMS across Creation but drains 1wp each time, that quickly adds up too!

That said I would never purposefully trigger a limit break to regain Willpower - after all, the limit break will be no fun if I don't have any wp to spend on it.

Comment

I've spent 10 years playing a sorcerer and then his clone without Infallible Messenger... because I knew if I took it the other PCs would turn me into a glorified email service and drain off all my willpower (I already frequently ran out of Willpower without it).

But honestly, our party actually desperately needs a way to communicate. We're forever splitting up and investigating things seperately for several sessions, and half the party doesn't know what the other half is doing, so I think I may have to bite the bullet and get it at some point.
                Maybe I can just lie to them and say it only works once per day.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
                  The default way of reducing limit is to accomplish Legendary social goals. Other ways include the Hero Rides Away Ride Charm and adopting a Mouse of the Sun as your familiar.
                  Are Mice of the Sun an available option for 3e? What book? I tried checking the core but found nothing. I'd be very interested in them tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post

Are Mice of the Sun an available option for 3e? What book? I tried checking the core but found nothing. I'd be very interested in them tbh.
                    100 devil's night has the mice presently.

Comment

Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post

Right here :

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ath=8329_24225

Dunno how they were in previous editions but in 3e they are absolutely glorious.

Comment

Working...
                      X