• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticks
    started a topic Feeling Limited

Feeling Limited

So here’s an issue I have run into while role playing:

Limit and it’s variants are an integral part of Exalted. They are the mechanical representation of the Great Curse, the single greatest weakness of the Exalted. Limit is essential to the setting.

That said, I find it very frustrating that there is no way (to my knowledge) to lower limit. My character is fairly close to a limit break and I find myself making decisions that mitigate her limit buildup, but might not be the right actions for her to take. The fact that once limit is gained, it cannot be reduced feels very punishing and it is difficult to not metagame when I know the limit is ticking up, but my character has no knowledge of this invisible mechanic.

My circle has already had one limit break, and it arguably changed the entire party dynamic in ways we are still dealing with a year later, so I am very concerned what a second limit break might do.

What do ya’ll do to make Limit a roleplaying asset rather than a hinderence in your role-play?

• Epitome
    replied
    Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post

Are Mice of the Sun an available option for 3e? What book? I tried checking the core but found nothing. I'd be very interested in them tbh.
    Right here :

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ath=8329_24225

Dunno how they were in previous editions but in 3e they are absolutely glorious.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post

Are Mice of the Sun an available option for 3e? What book? I tried checking the core but found nothing. I'd be very interested in them tbh.
    100 devil's night has the mice presently.

Leave a comment:

• PixelPuzzler
    replied
    Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    The default way of reducing limit is to accomplish Legendary social goals. Other ways include the Hero Rides Away Ride Charm and adopting a Mouse of the Sun as your familiar.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    I've spent 10 years playing a sorcerer and then his clone without Infallible Messenger... because I knew if I took it the other PCs would turn me into a glorified email service and drain off all my willpower (I already frequently ran out of Willpower without it).

But honestly, our party actually desperately needs a way to communicate. We're forever splitting up and investigating things seperately for several sessions, and half the party doesn't know what the other half is doing, so I think I may have to bite the bullet and get it at some point.
    Maybe I can just lie to them and say it only works once per day.

Leave a comment:

• Epitome
    replied
    My Solar has the Lore Charm which lets you give your own wp to other people, so it's actually easy for me to run out. Plus the Infaillible Messenger sorcery which lets you send SMS across Creation but drains 1wp each time, that quickly adds up too!

That said I would never purposefully trigger a limit break to regain Willpower - after all, the limit break will be no fun if I don't have any wp to spend on it.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    I frequently run out of wp, just because there's actually quite a lot of charms that cost wp. A couple of sessions ago I spent 4wp in one scene because I kept rolling badly with the interrogation charm from Investigation and trying again.

It was way worse in 2nd ed when I was playing a sorcerer (sorcery's not quite as expensive these days).

The other thing is if in a day I only spend 2 wp, I get 1 back from sleep... but I'm still 1 down. So if I spend 2wp again the next day, then I'm 2 down... it adds up.

But limit breaks are way, way too uncommon for that to be a useful way to regen willpower.

However, I just recently found out (never noticed it before) that you get all your Wp back at the end of a Story. That's not super common either, but it's common enough to be helpful. Certainly more common than Limit.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
    Honestly, my group has never used Limit at all. We excise it entirely and it doesn’t really affect anything at all. It just means that when an Exalt does terrible things, it’s because they did terrible things. No curse necessary.
    Well yes, that goes without saying.

Quick straw poll, BTW - Has anybody here ever used WP to the point where the "1 WP from a good night's sleep" wasn't enough and they REALLY needed a Limit Break for the Willpower Refresh? I admit that unless a Charm calls for it I never actually remember to use WP.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    I would recommend that if you don’t like Solar Limit mechanic, but want the Great Curse represented, use the Dragon-Blooded rules. Drop the normal conditions for Solar XP, and instead grant Solar XP when the player role plays their character’s heroic-flaw in an entertaining way in a situation that creates a complication for the character in the narrative. Pure carrot, no stick, fully under player control.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Honestly it's probably one of the easiest parts of the game to ignore. Not much else interacts with it.

Leave a comment:

• Jetstream
    replied
    Honestly, my group has never used Limit at all. We excise it entirely and it doesn’t really affect anything at all. It just means that when an Exalt does terrible things, it’s because they did terrible things. No curse necessary.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    I find the opposite. The breaks are... well, I guess they're alright actually, but they're not always quite right for the situation. Decent, not perfect.

Whereas the limit track I find a helpful track for the character's stress that finally causes them to snap or go too far.* Though saying that, I rarely see limit breaks... Hmmm, I suspect actually if people limit broke for supplementary XP then it'd happen way too much and disrupt the game.

*(Though if it was removed and you just did it when you felt was thematically appropriate, that'd be honestly fine. It's no biggie either way.)

The biggest problem I find is the conditions. Most PCs can't quite find one that matches them (occasionally players come up wih a custom one, and it's generally better, but that's hard). And some come up very occasionally, whereas others come up all the damn time. In my game, we've had 3 sessions so far, and I think the casteless Merchant has rolled limit every session at least once, while no-one else has rolled at all, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Honestly I find that I like the Limit Breaks more than I like the Limit Meter. Like the Breaks themselves are great, but I would probably roll better with a system where the Exalt Limit Breaks at dramatically appropriate moments for Supplementary XP rather than happening when a meter rises to a certain point.

Granted my usual gaming circles don't really need a meter to tell them to be super dramatic with things, so my outlook may be skewed.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    The one thing I’ll add is, if you really do feel like you’d prefer to Break later rather than sooner, don’t feel guilty for trying to make that happen... After all, the kind of behavior involved in playing around a high Limit bar can often end up just as Great Cursey as the Virtue Flaw/Monstrous Urge would have been. >:-)

Leave a comment:

• pcontop
    replied
    With my players, it's usually them that remember me they should roll limit. They have a blast with it.

My guidelines are that while limit break is supposed to be in some ways a loss of control, it should a) make sense for the character, even in a 'the character lost all patience' way, and b) be cathartic to the character (and the player). Since there is a much bigger range for limit breaks than in the other editions, I can tailor a LB to the situation, or I can put it on hold until a good situatio presents itself. I don't go over myself to fuck the PCs, and so the players trust me.

Some examples:

- The solars went to a Cloud People city in the clouds to talk to a loremaster and get a celestial circle spell that he was guuarding, The ended up being pretty patronizing to the circle. and after some bad social rolls, he shut the door on their faces. this made a character entered LB. I described that she was so outraged with the nerve of this little shit that she kicked the door, and invaded the loremaster's house, raising hell and breaking everything until she got the scrolls. They were then kicked out of the city by the defense forces, and got banned for life. but they got the scroll, and got a nice story to tell.

- Another time, the characters had killed a Lookshyan operator that was in a squad operating in the character's nation (that was a day's travel from lookshy itself). So they managed to rewrite their minds and send them with a cover story that the operative was killed in an accident (and his operative heirloom artifacts were lost), and that 'nope, no solars were found there, sorry'. This could or couldn't stick, since the operatives were sent to off the solar that was in the city. Another character entered in limit break and decided that rewriting the operatives minds was outright dishonerable. She tried to convince the other, but was outvoted. So, she went to the operatives base, turned herself in and told what heppened. That lead to a lot of politicking and backroom negotiations with Lookshy's bigwigs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X