Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kid Friendly Inspirational Exalted Material?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid Friendly Inspirational Exalted Material?

So my 11 yr old son likes to read from my rpg collection. I've played Pathfinder and Star Wars Saga Edition with him in the past.

Recently he has started reading some of my old Exalted 1e books and is asking to try the game out. While there are many inspirational sources listed in various Exalted books... I thought I'd appeal to the forum for suggestions that a 11 yr old would enjoy and be appropriate for his age?
    Last edited by Tytalus; 05-19-2019, 04:18 PM.

Originally posted by Tytalus View Post
    While there are many inspirational sources listed in various Exalted books... I thought I'd appeal to the forum for suggestions that a 10 yr old would enjoy and be appropriate for his age?
    Avatar: the Last Airbender remains pretty solid. A reincarnating hero returning to a world of people who can manipulate the elements, a world that's fallen under the heel of a jackbooted red-clad empire in his absence?

​I also love the heck out of Spirited Away.

Comment

I second Avatar. I would also suggest Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess. They're campy as all get out, and toe the lines of inappropriateness for a younger audience at times, but they're fun, make use of similar setting elements as Exalted, and they're thematically appropriate as well. Xena will be my quintessential Dawn Caste forever.

Burn Legend -- Advent of Yomi Wan http://burnlegend.blogspot.com/
      EX3 -- Dawn of Resurgent Sun https://resurgentsun.wordpress.com/

Comment

Avatar and it's less spectacular but still really good sequel series The Legend of Korra are both good. The Vision of Escaflowne stays pretty tame and was a big inspiration for the game as a whole. There's a bunch of wuxia films that are made for a younger audience but are suitably bonkers like Demon Lute. Wakfu is a fantastic french anime that's a really good inspiration, too.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Some more age appropriate fantasy gateway drugs.

Thundercats, Dai Gata Defenders, Mysticons, Jackie Chan Adventures, Elena of Avalor, Xiaolin Showdown, Kung Fu Panda, Niko and the Sword of Light, Aladdin (the animated series).

Comment

What have people thought of the Netflix animated shows? Are the Dragon Prince and She Ra appropriate? Anything else you want to recommend?

Comment

I was about to say She Ra. Girl inheirits the powers of an ancient hero is definitly Exalted in a nutshell

Dragon Prince not so much

Comment

Yeah, hell, how did I forget She-Ra? She-Ra's totally awesome.

Comment

Monkey, unabridged by Wu Ch’êng-ên. It’s the full story of the monkey king and journey to the west.

Craft rewrite.
                  Twitter Handle: at maudovajr

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                    What have people thought of the Netflix animated shows? Are the Dragon Prince and She Ra appropriate? Anything else you want to recommend?
                    Dragon Prince is a heckin good show! It's by the same people as last Airbender but it's is aimed at a touch more mature audience. I'd say about the same as legend of Korra.

Edit: oh yeah, King Fu panda is a solid series for any martial arts chronical, especially younger focus

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

I was gonna say She Ra but got beaten to it.

Hrm... Switching topics a bit, in the video game sphere pretty much any Legend of Zelda fits to me. The general fantasy feeling helps but all the games I played in that franchise have an air of exploration to them that I feel really helps an Exalted game; be it adventuring to cool new lands, or discovering the lost secrets of a past age.

Comment

She-Ra is an okay source to show relics of the First Age, particularly. The rest is too informed rather than shown to be very inspirational.
                        The story is a bit more mature (murderous coups, a royal inheritance and duty, sacred or honor-bound), but Seirei no Moribito is great to show how a solar fights (Balsa's a monster of a fighter). Katanagatari is just as good if he has the patience for the series' pace. Your kid will be seeing those before you realize

Meitantei Konan might serve to play with investigators and detectives.

Comment

Great suggestions guys, keep them coming!

Comment

*hums* It's far more indirect a source than most of the ones cited here, but I've a fondness for Netflix's Carmen Sandiego. Specifically Episode 7, and Carmen's encounter with Paper Star. It's a pretty nice showcase for an imaginative action sequence that's still thoroughly age appropriate. The series as a whole is a weird rec, since it's a clearly modern setting, but Carmen herself is classic Night Caste material: doing the right thing even with everyone in the world out to get her.

Comment

Also pretty much any Jackie Chan movie ever - especially the this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9rv1SN1HY

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Working...
                              X