Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kid Friendly Inspirational Exalted Material?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff that's not been covered already.

Mighty Max is very 90s and might be a bit retro for a 11 year old's tastes but its very mythologically rich.
    The 2002 He-Man series might resonate more than the new She-Ra, its more of a straight up good vs. evil fight with nobody as wonderfully complex in their villainous motives as Catra but has high stakes and a guy with a floating skull where his head should be.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
      Also pretty much any Jackie Chan movie ever...
      What about Police Story 2?

There's a lot of aspects to that one that don't feel appropriate to show to a ten-year-old. Like the bit where he mocked the way a deaf man talked, while hitting him in the crotch with fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        What about Police Story 2?

There's a lot of aspects to that one that don't feel appropriate to show to a ten-year-old. Like the bit where he mocked the way a deaf man talked, while hitting him in the crotch with fireworks.

ya ok - but at least 99% of his more recent stuff since he started making and releasing movies in the west. His early work has that lovely low budget edgy boy feel to it that might not be kid friendlyw

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

It's pretty retro but Conan the Adventurer.

Comment

If you can find it, The Pirates of Dark Water.

A short lived series, but it informs alot of how I imagine the Western Seas of creation to look and feel like.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
            The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
            Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
            Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
              It's pretty retro but Conan the Adventurer.
              Dammit, I never got to see the end of that stupid show. I wanna know if Conan managed to free his family from stone!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                What have people thought of the Netflix animated shows? Are the Dragon Prince and She Ra appropriate? Anything else you want to recommend?
                The Dragon Prince is much closer to a spiritual successor to Avatar: the Last Airbender than Legend of Korra was. I really like it, particularly the second season.

Does it inform Exalted? Mmm, sort of. There are aspects of it that can be interpretated through and Exalted lens and make pretty good sense, for example:

Callum developing a connection to the Sky Arcanum, and the way that's portrayed as gaining perspective and insight into the world. That could be seen as him raising his Essence.

It also has something to say about kingship, which is relevant to Exalted. And it has some badass fight scenes in it. That said, it's not really a tale of powerful or chosen heroes. Callum, Ezran and Rayla are travelling to deliver a McGuffin to end the war, after having been tossed into the situation more or less haphazardly. Even if they accept their quest, they're not furthering their own motivations.
                Last edited by Weimann; 06-06-2019, 04:48 PM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Adventure time has a pretty good example of a Solar Lunar bond in Finn and Jake.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by Weimann View Post
                    It also has something to say about kingship, which is relevant to Exalted. And it has some badass fight scenes in it. That said, it's not really a tale of powerful or chosen heroes. Callum, Ezran and Rayla are travelling to deliver a McGuffin to end the war, after having been tossed into the situation more or less haphazardly. Even if they accept their quest, they're not furthering their own motivations.
                    OK, I'm not trying to turn this into a debate thread about Dragon Prince but:

What are you talking about?

The entire show is them choosing their own path, seeing an opportunity to end the war their nations are in and choosing to try to do that all while dealing with enemies on both sides of the conflict who want the war to continue. Literally no one gave them a quest. They did that on their own.

This show is like the definition of 'furthering their own motivations'

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Would the Mistborn books work? I'll admit I am somewhat more iffy on whether or not those are appropriate for an 11 year old than Exalted material.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                        Would the Mistborn books work? I'll admit I am somewhat more iffy on whether or not those are appropriate for an 11 year old than Exalted material.
                        I've read those and probably wouldn't have my 11 year old read them. They're probably fine for a ~15 year old though.

Comment

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is the YA version of a lot of Greek Myths, which are themselves the basis for a lot of Exalted.

Dynasty Warriors is based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms which is a major influence on the Dragon Blood (I explain the Terrestrials as Dynasty Warriors meets Benders + Power Rangers)

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

I'm wary about suggestions that are too thematic or illustrative of specific concepts that exist in Exalted.

You don't want the watch list equivalent of "Exalted is like a T-Rex in an F-14" for example, I consider subplots in both Star Wars Rebels and Star Wars Resistance a great way to show that empire is evil* but I'd reserve it for an established Exalted player rather than get a newbie to conflate the Realm with the First Order.

In each series we see the effort that's been made to cover up the existence of the Death Star and Starkiller Base, the Empire built the Deathstar on Geonosis before wiping out all life on the planet while the First Order culled an entire area of space so they could test Starkiller Base discreetly. There's a cold brutality to those acts that's very distinct from how a Sith Lord might take their anger out on a human settlement. There was no way they didn't know from the start how they were going to keep these gigantic projects secret, genocide was plan A.

It's a more general problem with trying to do big secret projects as an Empire rather than the Sith being so evil from the Dark Side that they indulge in behaviour that is counterintuative. A Great House might do something very similar on a smaller scale if it's trying to build a tactical advantage against the other Great Houses.

Comment

Working...
                            X