Advice on Raksha character creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Raksha character creation

I'm interested in playing Raksha and am interested in advice how to create a competitive character (errata version). In particular:
    -What are the good charms for warrior raksha? I also noticed that raksha may combine native and Marital Arts charms, any good combos you know? In particular I noticed that they can also combine gossamer charms with MA charms. Would there be a way to explore it? I was thinking on getting some ranged MA if there is one and stacking it with negative mutations, which as Gossamer charms do not provoke resistance rolls according to errata.
    -What are the best mutations? there seem to be several, but useful ones aren't too many. I was thinking on Wolf Pace*2/Ranged or Extra Limbs/Millipede Mind combinations.
    -An good advice on generating high quality armies? or maybe breeding mutants in freehold? on that notes any advice for mutations on minion mutants? On that note, would producing hordes of small, poisonous critters be more effective then things like Orcs?
    -What would be the most efficient build for social hobs to influence the populace?
    -Can you get to generate a behemoth that looks exactly like you and rig-up something to control it remotely from the security of a freehold?
    -Can Raksha use gossamer to forge technologically complicated things?
    -Can Raksha create mutants with ability to use sorcery?

Any other advise you have is appreciated.
    Last edited by Warpwind; 05-20-2019, 09:51 AM.

Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
    I'm interested in playing Raksha and am interested in advice how to create a competitive character (errata version).
    What are you competing with?

What are the good charms for warrior raksha?
    What do you want to do?

I also noticed that raksha may combine native and Marital Arts charms, any good combos you know?
    Unfortunately unless you're like Essence 6, you're generally restricted to Terrestrial Martial Arts, many of which are rather poorly written.

What are the best mutations?
    Glorious Hero Form for that extra dot of Dexterity is hard to say no to. That said, it's generally better to get it as a Grace artifact.

An good advice on generating high quality armies?
    You can get a Grace artifact with Shuffling the Pieces on it, so that anything you kill pops up as a minion under your control.

or maybe breeding mutants in freehold?
    Why not just have them sprout from a minion tree like apples? Or have goblins draw their pearlescent forms from a giant bed of oysters? Or carve their forms out of unmelting ice? Or sing the song that turns snakes into men?

On that note, would producing hordes of small, poisonous critters be more effective then things like Orcs?
    I mean, I think so.

Can you get to generate a behemoth that looks exactly like you and rig-up something to control it remotely from the security of a freehold?
    Yes, but it's generally considered somewhat cheesy.

Can Raksha use gossamer to forge technologically complicated things?
    Such as?

Can Raksha create mutants with ability to use sorcery?
    That's not really a mutation, per se. You can give them enlightened Essence but that's not the same thing.

Any other advise you have is appreciated​.
    Has your ST already approved you to play a Fair Folk? Have they played with Fair Folk PCs before? Most of the ones I've played under have pretty much banned it outright (and of the one who did permit it, they banned it after seeing the character I built).

​I also highly advise four or more dots in the Birth background. You automatically bypass some of the worst limitations Fair Folk have in Creation, and don't have to be a soul-eating monster (unless you want to be). Artifact is also pretty much a must-have; it's easily the handiest way to overcome your limited selection of starting Charms.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-20-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      What are you competing with?
      Standard things. Though I'm most vary of exalted of course. Other things are mostly manageable as raksha.

What do you want to do?
      that's why I'm testing the waters for. If effective combat one can be designed - then that's the choice. If not I'll go social monster.

Unfortunately unless you're like Essence 6, you're generally restricted to Terrestrial Martial Arts, many of which are rather poorly written.
      Completely agree. I was eyeing dragon martial arts (which would be appropriate for corresponding assumption). Wood Style is current leader.

Glorious Hero Form for that extra dot of Dexterity is hard to say no to. That said, it's generally better to get it as a Grace artifact.
      Yeah, it's pretty good. Bu to tell the truth only 1pt of dexterity isn't in priority with Dex 7 already. But as an artifact? that's a good idea! thanks. Maybe I'll combo it with dragon speed and wolf pace.

You can get a Grace artifact with Shuffling the Pieces on it, so that anything you kill pops up as a minion under your control.
      does that work with ranged? Also, are those permanent, or would the hob just vanish shortly?

Why not just have them sprout from a minion tree like apples? Or have goblins draw their pearlescent forms from a giant bed of oysters? Or carve their forms out of unmelting ice? Or sing the song that turns snakes into men?
      Oh, I was under impression mutants would be more stable in creation then hobgoblins. also, gossamer economy.

Yes, but it's generally considered somewhat cheesy.
      and what charms would you need for it?

Such as?
      canons for example. they are used in south.

That's not really a mutation, per se. You can give them enlightened Essence but that's not the same thing.
      yeah, I looked at mutation list again and seems attribute reallocation is more useful for bigger dice pool. With raksha you could also forge graces for such and combo it with sorcery. So raksha being personally unable to use sorcery would be mitigated.

Has your ST already approved you to play a Fair Folk? Have they played with Fair Folk PCs before? Most of the ones I've played under have pretty much banned it outright (and of the one who did permit it, they banned it after seeing the character I built).
      yes. no. I'll try not to cheez too hard XD. seriously though, I just like Raksha more then exalted.
      ​I also highly advise four or more dots in the Birth background. You automatically bypass some of the worst limitations Fair Folk have in Creation, and don't have to be a soul-eating monster (unless you want to be). Artifact is also pretty much a must-have; it's easily the handiest way to overcome your limited selection of starting Charms.
      yeah. I agree on birth. Was thinking getting artifact 5 and spending sole 5th level artifact spot on some awesome behemoth. Maybe make several looking exactly like each other but with different powers and strength.
      Last edited by Warpwind; 05-20-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Standard things.
        What's "standard things?"

Though I'm most vary of exalted of course.
        If you're looking to stand against optimized Celestial Exalts it's going to be a fool's errand. Otherwise the odds are a lot better.

Completely agree. I was eyeing dragon martial arts (which would be appropriate for corresponding assumption). Wood Style is current leader.
        Wood Dragon Style is a Celestial style.

does that work with ranged? Also, are those permanent, or would the hob just vanish shortly?
        I haven't looked at the books in a while, but I think it's both permanent and capable of being done via ranged weapons.

Oh, I was under impression mutants would be more stable in creation then hobgoblins.
        What do you want the minions to do?

and what charms would you need for it?
        A user named meschlum on the old forums had a pretty good guide for it. This link was all I could find, unfortunately.

canons for example. they are used in south.
        You mean Chiaroscuro's shore cannons? Yeah, that's an option.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-20-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

What's "standard things?"
          other raksha, mutants, human warriors, elemetals. those things are more or less 'standard'.

If you're looking to stand against optimized Celestial Exalts it's going to be a fool's errand. Otherwise the odds are a lot better.
          that's why I need few lesser behemoths that look like me. XD

Wood Dragon Style is a Celestial style.
          aw man. here I was thinking it was terrestrial because dragonblooded used it.
          ...can that charm be incorporated into inward facing dream?

I haven't looked at the books in a while, but I think it's both permanent and capable of being done via ranged weapons.
          that's very nice. would it work on zombies?

What do you want the minions to do?
          it's more like I'm looking on the ways to optimize them for tasks. as far as I remember commoners have only Essence 1, and that is spent on assumption. so I'm left with gossamer and mutation charms to specialize them. In this case maxed charisma and something to supplement that for propaganda.As in - "this raksha guy? he Ok"

A user named meschlum on the old forums had a pretty good guide for it. This link was all I could find, unfortunately.
          thank you very much, I'll look at it!
          You mean Chiaroscuro's shore cannons? Yeah, that's an option.
          yeap. I couldn't find anything meaningful on raksha in shards of exalted dream so I was wondering.

Comment

other raksha, mutants, human warriors, elemetals. those things are more or less 'standard'.
            Don't go throwing down with elemental dragons, Immaculate Monks, Celestial Exalted, or second circle demons and you should be fine. You can take a Charm (or swear to an adjuration) that literally makes you immune to anything that doesn't stunt or use magic, and for everything else, your monstrous dice pools should blow them out of the water.

aw man. here I was thinking it was terrestrial because dragonblooded used it.
            Afraid not.

that's very nice. would it work on zombies?
            Why wouldn't it?

it's more like I'm looking on the ways to optimize them for tasks. as far as I remember commoners have only Essence 1, and that is spent on assumption. so I'm left with gossamer and mutation charms to specialize them.
            You can also have them attune your artifacts for you.

In this case maxed charisma and something to supplement that for propaganda.As in - "this raksha guy? he Ok"
            I highly advise Untouchable Performer Technique; no one can talk shit about you.

yeap. I couldn't find anything meaningful on raksha in shards of exalted dream so I was wondering.
            I mean, ultimately it's the ST's call what is and isn't possible.

Comment

Don't go throwing down with elemental dragons, Immaculate Monks, Celestial Exalted, or second circle demons and you should be fine. You can take a Charm (or swear to an adjuration) that literally makes you immune to anything that doesn't stunt or use magic, and for everything else, your monstrous dice pools should blow them out of the water.
              yeah, but where is fun in that

Why wouldn't it?
              sounds great, especially if combined with Luminous Exhalation.

You can also have them attune your artifacts for you.
              yeah, that's a very nice point especially as you can make commoners.

I highly advise Untouchable Performer Technique; no one can talk shit about you.
              yeap. and give it a few cheap artifacts of it's own to stack.

I mean, ultimately it's the ST's call what is and isn't possible.
              true, very true.

Comment

snip.
                one more question if possible. I didn't see many healing abilities there (regeneration mutation doesn't count), so how do raksha heal themselves or others?
                also, can they use gossamer to craft prosthetics or new organs? for example new hand or liver from gossamer to substitute the flesh one.

Comment

one more question if possible. I didn't see many healing abilities there (regeneration mutation doesn't count), so how do raksha heal themselves or others?
                  also, can they use gossamer to craft prosthetics or new organs? for example new hand or liver from gossamer to substitute the flesh one.

I could have sworn there was a blurb somewhere that Raksha could drop their assumption and the damage would go away with the body they made for themselves, unless it was a permanent assumption, but I must have dreamed that when I went insane the first time I went down the rabbit hole of GWM some odd 10 years ago.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post

I could have sworn there was a blurb somewhere that Raksha could drop their assumption and the damage would go away with the body they made for themselves, unless it was a permanent assumption, but I must have dreamed that when I went insane the first time I went down the rabbit hole of GWM some odd 10 years ago.
                    I was thinking more on healing others part. sure medicine 7 is great, but I have seen no healing charms besides the ones that simply resurrect shaping weapons. Also, as raksha can trivially create living things on spot, I thought that creating ones that can substitute missing flesh in existing creature should be possible.

Comment

The Fair Folk do not have much in the way of healing Charms, partially because in their natural environment they do not need one and partially because they are at the core selfcentered beings and as such do not heal others. And why would they since they can just make new servants if old ones get broken.

Comment

That, and Exalted in general doesn't have much in the way of Healing charms, and when it does they are rare, costly, and not usually straightforward in their application.

Now, that said, in Ex3, if Raksha have access to something akin to sorcerous workings then that would be the "best" method to restore missing limbs of others.

2.5, I believe there were rules for mutating things, just mutate them a new arm. Extra limbs are just limbs if you are missing the first set. Just make sure they are appropriately weird.

If you want to get real fancy in 2.5, there were artifact prosthetics, and with a pool of like 16 you shouldn't have any difficulty with the surgery.

Stranger applications of Rakshacanery, the assumption where you hitch-hike on a creation-born, IIRC lets you grant them mutations, so become part of them and give them what they are missing.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
                          The Fair Folk do not have much in the way of healing Charms, partially because in their natural environment they do not need one and partially because they are at the core selfcentered beings and as such do not heal others. And why would they since they can just make new servants if old ones get broken.
                          it's more like having another bargaining chip.
                          Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                          That, and Exalted in general doesn't have much in the way of Healing charms, and when it does they are rare, costly, and not usually straightforward in their application.
                          Stranger applications of Rakshacanery, the assumption where you hitch-hike on a creation-born, IIRC lets you grant them mutations, so become part of them and give them what they are missing.
                          So you can give the behemoth and assumption of person't heart and probably one other assumption to turn it into a hand made of ice or wooden heart. great idea!

On the other hand. can Raksha using an Awakened Dream Manufacture Servants for attunment? as in, are they natural essence users, or do you need awakened essence mutation to make them into one?
                          Last edited by Warpwind; 05-30-2019, 05:32 AM. Reason: never mind. found the answers.

Comment

Working...
                          X