Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

What?

Wizard, the sidebar explicitly says that it's for poisons that deal Initiative damage.

Those poisons have intervals that are measured in rounds.

If you're dosed with something that will last for days, it will do damage directly to your health track in any event. There's no need to have an Initiative pool for it to attack.
    Ah, I see you are right. That's fine.

That teaches me to comment on one discussion while I'm in the middle of reading a different book.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      That teaches me to comment on one discussion while I'm in the middle of reading a different book.
      Hey, we all do it. It's hard to expect to remember every detail from a tabletop RPG correctly.

Comment

Thanks. /10char

My characters:
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          Thanks.
          If I could cook the egg on my face from every time I misremembered a rule, I wouldn't have to buy groceries.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
            In some cases it is magical awareness. For instance, if an Archery Supernal starts aiming at an enemy from extreme range, how do you explain that the enemy suddenly knows they're in danger as a direct result of the archer merely drawing their bow? If you want to make it even more egregious assume that the attacker uses Charms/Evocation to conceal herself from all senses, and make the enemy a blind and deaf mortal for good measure, they will still know they are in danger.
            I find it helps to remember that in a lot of games attacking from an ambush like that is only going to net you surprise attack level penalties. Exalted is unusually commited to letting you sneak up and kill significant characters in one move, even if it's made it harder to do that this edition.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

though to be honest if you as a Archery Supernal Dawn Solar were taking pot shots at deaf and blind mortals from miles away I'd probably let you kill them without a roll, because that scene's conflict isn't on if you can carry out your random murder but what it's going to cause.

Comment

That ruling from Vance is odd, I!d assumed that JB was player knowledge but not character knowledge, as so many other things are.
                Ultimately the ST is going to make some rulings to verisimilitude for their players, so I don’t think it’s an incredibly vital issue.

I would say though, that in the case that an ambushed party did win JB without detecting their attacker, the most reasonable thing to do would be to dive for cover and take a full defence or defend other action. Which does greatly punish super stealthy stealtherinos for not stacking their wits+awareness.

Than again, as above, The ST doesn’t Have to do the optimal thing with all npcs all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flare View Post
                  though to be honest if you as a Archery Supernal Dawn Solar were taking pot shots at deaf and blind mortals from miles away I'd probably let you kill them without a roll, because that scene's conflict isn't on if you can carry out your random murder but what it's going to cause.
                  Yeah, Ex3 combat isn't trying to simulate violence but provide a satisfactory encounter.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                  Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

For pretty minor fights (ie Exalt vs 1 mortal thug) I just have the player make an Attribute+Ability check like anything. Dexterity+Melee, something like that. Quick and easy. (And the book mentions this, incidentally).

So for a quick stealth kill of 1 guard, I'd have them just roll Dex+Stealth to sneak up and then Dex+Melee(/Brawl/Archery/Thrown/Martial Arts) to stealth kill (or stealth KO).

I just roll out the combat rules for when PCs are fighting outnumbered by goons 10-1, or dueling a badass hero. Otherwise you make a lot of very complex rolls that you'll almost certainly pass easily.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
                      That ruling from Vance is odd, I!d assumed that JB was player knowledge but not character knowledge, as so many other things are.
                      Yeah, and it’s something I’m personally going to continue assuming, especially since there are a lot of situations where it’s basically ST call when exactly Join Battle should happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X