The Realm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Realm

It's out. I haven't had time to read much, I just looked at a few bits.
    The Realm isn't the book I'm most looking forward to (partly because I'm running a game in the distant North-East, partly because the Blessed Isle was such a dull book), but it does look decent so far.

I like some bits of art, I'm not so keen on others, but that's personal taste, they all seem good quality. And I really like how consistently they portray the Realm's style and architecture, which is difficult with different artists. For example, you can definitely visualise what Realm soldiers look like, as they're always portrayed with the same uniform.

The art for the satrapies is very nice.

The timeline looks much better than the timeline in 2nd ed's Blessed Isle.

The satrapies are arranged geographically around the world, like the Lunar Domains.
    Fajad
    Pneuma
    Cherak
    Greyfalls
    Prasad
    The Lap
    Zhaojun (really an area of satrapies, including Goldenseal)
    Wu-Jian
    Utahi (a city-mountain in the West that used to have an empire)

So mostly new ones for 3rd ed. Cherak, Greyfalls and the Lap were in 1st and 2nd ed, but Cherak never really got a proper write-up.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Is it only out for backers right now?

Comment

Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post
      Is it only out for backers right now?
      Yes. Only for backers. It's the errata/editing pass.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Any ETA on when the public release will be(based on past releases)?

Comment

Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post
          Any ETA on when the public release will be(based on past releases)?
          Based on what Rich Thomas said in this week's Monday Meeting comments (which was they were thinking of releasing it to backers at the same time it went public, or a little earlier), then soon, next Wednesday at earliest.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I would be surprised to see it only go through 6 days of errata/edit passing. I'd personally guess closer to a month.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
              I would be surprised to see it only go through 6 days of errata/edit passing. I'd personally guess closer to a month.
              Yeah. We need to let backers finish reporting issues; go through the compiled issues to see what needs implementing; send a corrected PDF to Onyx Path; wait for a new version of the PDF to come back to us; go back and forth with confirming corrections until the proof is clean; and then Onyx Path needs to approve the revised PDF and send it out. This takes a while.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Suddenly, I'm an happier person. I've really waited for this book, so I let's see what we got :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Weird observation but I could have sworn in past editions that the Blessed Isle didn't have slaves in an official capacity. While they existed, they were few and sort of "not talked about" culturally. This one seems to state outright that they exist and are a part of society. Am I simply mis-remembering?

(Please don't make Slavery the new subject of the thread, we've had enough threads on the topic and I don't want to derail)

Other observation, there's some really phenominal writing in here. An example of a line that really stood out to me: "The Sword of Creation swung but once, and as the aftershocks of Creation’s rescue died away, the world fell quiet." Exceedingly evocative to me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                    Weird observation but I could have sworn in past editions that the Blessed Isle didn't have slaves in an official capacity. While they existed, they were few and sort of "not talked about" culturally. This one seems to state outright that they exist and are a part of society. Am I simply mis-remembering?

(Please don't make Slavery the new subject of the thread, we've had enough threads on the topic and I don't want to derail)

Other observation, there's some really phenominal writing in here. An example of a line that really stood out to me: "The Sword of Creation swung but once, and as the aftershocks of Creation’s rescue died away, the world fell quiet." Exceedingly evocative to me.
                    Slavery's always been there, just limitted to Dynasts. There's a huge chunk on how it is carreid on on th Blessed Isle all the way back in Manacle & Coin.

And stuff.
                    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Was Fokuf ever explicitly mortal before? I seem to recall it was left ambiguous in previous editions. But here he's just flat mortal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
                        Was Fokuf ever explicitly mortal before? I seem to recall it was left ambiguous in previous editions. But here he's just flat mortal.
                        I always understood him to be mortal, but I don't have my books around to verify.

Comment

Pretty sure he was a mortal. That was kind of the point, having him be a scapegoat from the worst-faring House the Empress could put the blame on, not that it was really gonna work.

Comment

He was always mortal. In Return of the Scarlet Empress he was mortal enough to get Exalted as a secret Infernal, I believe. I think there’s one spot in 2e’s Compass: Blessed Isle where he’s implied to be a DB because that writer thought it was implausible the Dynasty would make a mortal Regent, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                              Yeah. We need to let backers finish reporting issues; go through the compiled issues to see what needs implementing; send a corrected PDF to Onyx Path; wait for a new version of the PDF to come back to us; go back and forth with confirming corrections until the proof is clean; and then Onyx Path needs to approve the revised PDF and send it out. This takes a while.
                              Er. Rich reported in the latest Ex3 KS update that the advance PDF for The Realm would be going public on Wednesday. So, er, not sure what's going on.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Working...
                              X