X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wizard of Oz
    started a topic The Realm

The Realm

It's out. I haven't had time to read much, I just looked at a few bits.
    The Realm isn't the book I'm most looking forward to (partly because I'm running a game in the distant North-East, partly because the Blessed Isle was such a dull book), but it does look decent so far.

I like some bits of art, I'm not so keen on others, but that's personal taste, they all seem good quality. And I really like how consistently they portray the Realm's style and architecture, which is difficult with different artists. For example, you can definitely visualise what Realm soldiers look like, as they're always portrayed with the same uniform.

The art for the satrapies is very nice.

The timeline looks much better than the timeline in 2nd ed's Blessed Isle.

The satrapies are arranged geographically around the world, like the Lunar Domains.
    Fajad
    Pneuma
    Cherak
    Greyfalls
    Prasad
    The Lap
    Zhaojun (really an area of satrapies, including Goldenseal)
    Wu-Jian
    Utahi (a city-mountain in the West that used to have an empire)

So mostly new ones for 3rd ed. Cherak, Greyfalls and the Lap were in 1st and 2nd ed, but Cherak never really got a proper write-up.

• lycaniz
    replied
    Neat, purchased!

Leave a comment:

• Major
    replied
    Excited, Realm is now shipping hardcover.
    Unexcited, shipping cost is more than the book cost. Holy crap. If only colour e-readers were a capable thing.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    To be fair, I wonder how much of that is the fault of the setting/player expectations and how much is on the ST.

Many STs, lacking the language skills and experience to speak otherwise, use "the most x you've ever seen" as shorthand for magical.

If you routinely describe Exalted deeds as "the most x you've ever seen" because you're trying not to say "this is magic yo!" then you can't act shocked when the players suss what you're trying to convey to them.

And yes, the idea that mortals can't do anything sucks, and it's good that 3E is moving away from that.

But if a Solar artist is rolling 10+ successes and a mortal artist is rolling

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I'll be back to reviewing shortly enough, but for the moment I feel prompted to say something I initially withheld.

Originally posted by Dex Davican View Post
    Interesting. I'd intended to highlight the entitlement and alienation from the lower classes that players (who are often sympathetic toward underdogs) might need help wrapping their minds around.
    I've seen so many accounts of people who evidently need help wrapping their minds around the opposite. People who seem to think that casually levelling atrocities on bystanders is the default, if not a creative and competitive exercise.

Then there's shit like this:

I remember when my 3e game I ran met a mortal artist who painted an equivalent to the Sistine Chapel [except with the Dragons], they decided he had to secretly be a sidereal or some other exalt type, because clearly no mortal would be able to do something that well done. They then decided that this gracious host was clearly trying to kill them, and... murdered an NPC, entirely because they were convinced it had to be an exalt in disguise.

It was just a mortal. I had a player [the one who decided to join battle and ambush the artist] get very mad at me for 'misleading them' by making a Mortal actually capable of something worthy of awe and wonder. I never once said that anything about the art seemed magical, when the twilight tried to us AESS she saw nothing magical anywhere around them, and they were still so convinced that just because I claimed it was 'some of the most beautiful art you've ever seen' it had to be something non-mortal. More than that, they assumed it was something non-Dragonblooded too.
    Something about reading that now shook me a lot more than the first time...

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    They could actually set up a cyclical thing - there are two souls. One Mouth of Peace trains their successor, and then that one upon assuming the position finds the reincarnation of their old master and trains them as their successor in-waiting, and so on.
    That is going be what I am going to have the dying Mouth of Peace attempt to establish with choosing a successor. And the Bronze faction will run with the idea.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post

IIRC it was 2e that played up the whole dying really soon. Even if they are still keeping it Chejop Kejak and the Mouth of Peace occupy different spheres, the Realm probably wouldn't notice if Kejak died. While Yu-Shan wouldn't really care if the Mouth of Peace died.
    When Chejob dies is also something edition-based. 2e really pushed the "He's gonna die in like a year", even making the current timeline set him up to being 4,999 years old.

The fiction for him in the 1e corebook by contrast even notes that he would die in "a century or three". I think "I'm in my twilight, but I have time to think on it" and "Oh shit I'm going to die any time now" are pretty different. It's just that the latter at some point became the assumed with Chejob.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    I love the new lore on the nature of the Mouth of Peace, though i’m not sure how I feel about the current one being near death from old age and afraid of the chaos her death will unleash - because it feels redundant with Chejop.

I’m leaning instead toward the current Mouth being 15 years old and having just Exalted to everyone’s relief. So she’s positioned to be used as a tool for power by someone else, but she’s still an Exalted herself, even if she’s only 15, and those who underestimate her, and think her exploitable as a prop could find themselves unable to hold her reigns.
    IIRC it was 2e that played up the whole dying really soon. Even if they are still keeping it Chejop Kejak and the Mouth of Peace occupy different spheres, the Realm probably wouldn't notice if Kejak died. While Yu-Shan wouldn't really care if the Mouth of Peace died.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    They could actually set up a cyclical thing - there are two souls. One Mouth of Peace trains their successor, and then that one upon assuming the position finds the reincarnation of their old master and trains them as their successor in-waiting, and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Dex Davican
    replied

Oh because she’s trying to choose a successor rather than deal with the reincarnation cycle meaning at least 13 years or so until Exaltation of the next one and then all her adolescent training?

Of course can’t imagine a lot of the Order is going to accept a Mouth who objectively cannot be the reincarnation of the one soul who his believed to have been every Mouth until this point.
    A lot probably won't. Some really excellently-edited newfound First Age scripture, the support of several Great House scions, and some light historical revisions will help, if the new Mouth of Peace can get all those things. If the Realm survives the Time of Tumult, in a mortal generation or two only a few thousand people in Creation will even remember the change personally. And every monk is taught--though not all fully accept--that the continuation and improvement of the perfected hierarchy is more important than any single person or objective historical truth. The custodians of society bear a crushing weight.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    I mean, it could be a nice setup for a future Dalai Lama-Panchen Lama plotline. Where part of her putting the younger one in place is with a goal of having her replacement be sought-out/found more orderly in this upcoming time of crisis. (Ie, having someone setup with enough authority to pick hte next Mouth of Peace independent of whatever regime is there after the war.)

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Dex Davican View Post
    As it happens, I agree with you about 50%. Which is why I wrote the Mouth of Peace so that she could gracefully or tragically exit the stage and allow you to play the new one if that worked better for your game.
    Oh because she’s trying to choose a successor rather than deal with the reincarnation cycle meaning at least 13 years or so until Exaltation of the next one and then all her adolescent training?

Of course can’t imagine a lot of the Order is going to accept a Mouth who objectively cannot be the reincarnation of the one soul who his believed to have been every Mouth until this point.

Leave a comment:

• Dex Davican
    replied
    I love the new lore on the nature of the Mouth of Peace, though i’m not sure how I feel about the current one being near death from old age and afraid of the chaos her death will unleash - because it feels redundant with Chejop.

I’m leaning instead toward the current Mouth being 15 years old and having just Exalted to everyone’s relief. So she’s positioned to be used as a tool for power by someone else, but she’s still an Exalted herself, even if she’s only 15, and those who underestimate her, and think her exploitable as a prop could find themselves unable to hold her reigns.
    As it happens, I agree with you about 50%. Which is why I wrote the Mouth of Peace so that she could gracefully or tragically exit the stage and allow you to play the new one if that worked better for your game.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MoroseMorgan
    replied
    Thanks for affirming my understanding Stephen Lea Sheppard Robert Vance and Eric Minton. I dig it.

I'm really enjoying this book. I tried and failed many times to read through and internalize Compass Blessed Isle in 2e, but it was almost like homework, while I am really enjoying The Realm and for the first time in my Exalted tenure would like to play on the Blessed Isle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X