Help me design the Invincible Sword Dynast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me design the Invincible Sword Dynast

Basically, what do you think is the best way to go about making an amazing swordswoman as a starting Dynast.

I assume that she should be a Fire Aspect who trained at the House of Bells, and fight with some kind of artefact jade Daiklaive to get some evocations. But I'm not sure. Perhaps a different aspect is better for some Anima shenanigans, or it's better to use Single Point, or something like that.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

And I am also not sure what artefact weapon and armour are best.

My characters:
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I don't know that you could make an true Invincible Sword Dynast (which I imagine as a melee combat monster that is widely competent and has no outstanding weaknesses) simply because DB melee doesn't give access to necessary plugs like defense vs unblockables and ranged attacks. Granted, you could concievably get them from artifacts, but no printed artifact comes to mind that would fill everyone of those holes.

If we're talking about making the most widely-effective DB Sword Princess we could make, I'd actually rather go with Wood. Aura of Grasping Branches + Root and Hand Merging on Wood Aura gives you a passive parry of 8 while negating most penalties without active expenditure. That, and in-Aura Demon-Crushing Wolf Bite is a very good BnB withering booster, far better than Crimson Fang Bite. Maybe you could add Unbinding the Inner Flame to improve your self-sufficiency since its not Aura-restricted (or an ally can cast it on you as well).

For armor I'd say go heavy since you can take Supple Viridian Scales to get rid of the mobility penalty. In fact I'd say you definitely want the Wood version of Earth Bears Witness since melee doesn't give you any means of reducing decisive damage. With that plus heavy artifact armor you can negate attacks up to 13 damage, or 15 in suitable environments. The Wood resistance sig isn't the worse either I guess.

Combine the preceding with the old version of Spring Razor and I'd say you've got a pretty close aproximation of a DB-level Invincible Sword Princess.

That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Questions, do you have an aspect in mind, and also how hard do you want to go into this? Like, do you just want absolutely as hard as possible?

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
          Questions, do you have an aspect in mind,
          I have a slight preference for Air, because I have some cool art for it, basically, but no, I don't mind much.

and also how hard do you want to go into this? Like, do you just want absolutely as hard as possible?
          Hmmm... pretty much. If it's ridiculously so, I can always dial it back if I want. I think that's easier than finding ways to make an existing character harder at character gen.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
            I don't know that you could make an true Invincible Sword Dynast (which I imagine as a melee combat monster that is widely competent and has no outstanding weaknesses) simply because DB melee doesn't give access to necessary plugs like defense vs unblockables and ranged attacks. Granted, you could concievably get them from artifacts, but no printed artifact comes to mind that would fill everyone of those holes.
            Rainwalker has some anti-ranged evocations. I don't think they're good enough to be really worth being an Invincible Umbrella Princess instead of an Invincible Sword Princess.

If we're talking about making the most widely-effective DB Sword Princess we could make, I'd actually rather go with Wood. Aura of Grasping Branches + Root and Hand Merging on Wood Aura gives you a passive parry of 8 while negating most penalties without active expenditure. That, and in-Aura Demon-Crushing Wolf Bite is a very good BnB withering booster, far better than Crimson Fang Bite. Maybe you could add Unbinding the Inner Flame to improve your self-sufficiency since its not Aura-restricted (or an ally can cast it on you as well).

For armor I'd say go heavy since you can take Supple Viridian Scales to get rid of the mobility penalty. In fact I'd say you definitely want the Wood version of Earth Bears Witness since melee doesn't give you any means of reducing decisive damage. With that plus heavy artifact armor you can negate attacks up to 13 damage, or 15 in suitable environments. The Wood resistance sig isn't the worse either I guess.

Combine the preceding with the old version of Spring Razor and I'd say you've got a pretty close aproximation of a DB-level Invincible Sword Princess.

That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.
            Hmmmm... that's quite interesting actually. I will go and have a look at those charms.

I could also swap Spring Razor for Burning Branch and be an Invincible Spear Princess, but I do kind of like Spring Razor. I think the pinnacle and it's prereq are pretty awkward, but I think the first three charms are decent (especially as the first one is free for Dragonblood).

On the subject of artefacts, what do you think of Shining Ice Mirror and Gorgon? Those being the other two Jade swords.*

*There's also Mistweaver, which is a really cool sword for a water-aspected ninja, but not an Invincible Sword Princesses.

My characters:

Comment

So, looking at those charms, Aura of Graspng Branches, Root and Hand Merging, Earth Bears Witness and Well-Tended Garden of the Soul are all Essence 3. So I need 75xp+ to get any of them.

Supple Viridian Scales (which only reduces Mobility penalty by 1 actually, though I think it's probably still worth getting heavy armour) and Demon-Crushing Wolf Bite are good in Wood Aura, but are they enough to go Wood rather than another aspect?

My characters:

Comment

To add on to what BadassOverlord said about the wood melee charms, I'd go with Ride as well to get a conditional +1 defense on top of what you've already got. With 5 Dex, 5 Melee, an applicable specialty, a medium weapon, a mount, and finally a 1 dot stunt you can reach 9 parry before adding any charms at all. If you're mounted you also don't have to worry as much about mobility penalties.

Burning Branch is obviously a great choice for this defensive setup, but Spring Razor should work fine. You can always make custom evos later on to fine tune it to your liking.
                Last edited by Yamajin; 05-25-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Okay, so here's my first try at chargen.

Attributes

Physical
                  5 Strength
                  5 Dexterity
                  3 Stamina

Social
                  2 Charisma
                  2 Manipulation
                  3 Appearance

Mental
                  3 Perception
                  1 Intelligence
                  5 Wits

Abilities

Bolded entries are favoured/aspect

3 Archery
                  5 Athletics
                  5 Awareness
                  2 Brawl
                  5 Dodge
                  3 Integrity
                  5 Melee
                  2 Presence
                  3 Resistance
                  5 Ride

Specializations

Melee (Twinblades)
                  Melee (Lances)
                  Ride (My Mount)
                  Athletics (Worthy Foes)
                  Dodge (My Armor)

Merits

3 Fast Reflexes
                  4 Fleet of Foot
                  3 Jade Lance or Twinblades
                  3 Jade Light Armor
                  4 Young DB squire retainer
                  1 Resources

Charms

Melee

Stoking Bonfire Style
                  Flame Borne Interception
                  Blinding Spark Distraction
                  Graceful Flowing Defense
                  Crimson Fang Bite
                  Elemental Sheath
                  Dragon Graced Weapon
                  Crossfire Flash

Dodge

Threshold Warding Stance

Ride

Scattered Pearl Hoof Falls
                  Heave-Racing Leap
                  Read Rooted in Life
                  Cloud Harnessing Technique

Resistance

Impervious Skin of Stone
                  Ox-Body Technique x5

Athletics

Effortlessly Rising Flame

Awareness

Precision Observation Method

Ride

I had the same idea as Yamajin, using ride gives you lots of free bonuses that you might want to use, especially as a Dynast. If you can wrangle it get a simhata that's immune to your damage, or somehow work with your ST to ignore the damage of your anima for your mount.

Being mounted on a horse or simhata gives you the following benefits:

+4 non-charm dice to all rush, withdraw, and disengage actions, as well as possibly in contested speed checks outside of combat
                  +1 withering attacks against un-mounted foes, increasing to +2 against battlegroups without reach weapons.
                  +1 defense against un-mounted foes without reach weapons.
                  The impale ability with lances, giving +5 withering or +3 decisive damage after moving 2 range bands to attack the foe.

So that's why you have ride. In any scenario where you can theoretically ride your mount rushing, disengaging, and battlegroups are all going to have a really hard time with you. If you are careful to stay in Air Aura Heaven-Racing Leap and Cloud Harnessing Technique can work to make otherwise impossible areas available to your mount. Also give your mount medium barding at least, the excellency effect allows you to ignore the -1 penalty completely, and take -4 off the raw damage of any decisive attack. It's -6 damage and all that bonus soak for heavy and it only gives a -1 penalty with the excellency, so really that's probably better.

If you use Tread Rooted in Life in areas of extremely difficult terrain, then weaving in and out of melee combat by flurrying disengage actions with attacks is even possible.

Dodge

The next thing is, why dodge? And that's because how it interacts with Stoking Bonfire Style. Against one opponent SBS is great, all you have to do is hit and block and you build up your mote discount. There's a problem though, against multiple opponents if you bring your parry to bear against them it's going to kill your discount. So we also max dodge in cases with one strong foe and many weak ones to keep our mote discount against him up. In cases with many weak enemies Flame Borne Interception should carry us.

We also have dodge so that nobody can be like "Ha-HA Imperial Blade Queen! We have an unblockable attack!"

Weapons

With the melee you have two options here. DB melee loves to clash with Crossfire Flash, Cloud Riot, and Portentous Comet Deflection, so you have two options. You want twinblades, because they have a clash bonus of +7/+6 for artifact and mundane, but you also want a lance for the impaling and high soak enemies and the still respectable +2/+3 clash bonus. If you're going for the true invincibility, the twinblades are the way to go, and are better in general, but I wanted to bring up the alternative.

Then, of course, just in case we get into some huge trouble and we're pretty sure an attack will get through we have Impervious Skin of Stone, to use in desperation, and a health track that looks like this for when things get worse than that: -0/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-2/-2/-2/-2/-2/-2/-2/-4/I

Armor

Armor is a bit tricky. Again, the best option here is probably just to go straight heavy. The bonus to soak and hardness is too good to pass up, even though it tanks our evasion down to 4, and gives us a penalty on rushes and disengages. If it becomes a problem later Flickering Candle Meditation can always help mitigate it. On the other hand as you gain essence you can do some really fun tricks with dodge.

Advancement

What you should end up with, if I did this right, is a character that can chase down or escape from almost any enemy, has a variety of different options to deploy against any foe. Along with Fast Reflexes and Fleet of Foot squeezing every last dice out of Join Battle and movement. As you gain experience you might want to branch into archery/thrown/lore just in case you face off against some flying dicks.

As you essence up, especially if you chose light armor, Safety Among Enemies can be really fun to take. For melee grab Steel Tempest Strike or Aura of Grasping Branches. The STS gives you a free reflexive attack against anyone within short range, and that's pretty cool and quite powerful, it also matches with your Aura which is nice. Grasping Branches aura effect is pretty good, but also not really necessary, especially since it can be easily combo'd with Flame Borne Interception against multiple foes.

For Ride if you haven't and don't plan to secure a simhata, probably get Great Heart Companion and Dragon Among Horses, otherwise Ride Beneath the Waves and Untethered Pegasus Spirit allow you to take your mounted combat bonuses onto the sea or to the sky. Also note that Pegasus Spirit will allow you to make an impale attack against flying monsters.

For Resistance take Body-Like-Clouds meditation, if you grabbed heavy armor especially, to reduce incoming damage to you to nothing. If you took light armor you might want to grab the Water one, as it makes it so that you don't really care when your foe hits you that hard. They might crash you and then attack you with 19 initiative, but when you've got 22 health levels it doesn't matter so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    On the subject of artefacts, what do you think of Shining Ice Mirror and Gorgon? Those being the other two Jade swords.*

*There's also Mistweaver, which is a really cool sword for a water-aspected ninja, but not an Invincible Sword Princesses.
                    Burning Branch is a decent artifact, but I don't know specifically what it would add to benefit this setup.

Shining Ice Mirror's standout feature is its really good attunement bonus. Other than that, it has a ranged attack, but only out to short range. I don't care for its other Evocations.

Don't discount Mistweaver. Even if you don't plan on ever entering stealth, the visual penalty on attack rolls from the fog + Sea Smoke Veil gives you a really high scene-long non-charm defense boost.

Imprimatur might be a cool choice thematically speaking for a cocky Invincible Sword Dynast, but the best it has to offer is decent BnB withering boost, which non-Wood Aura DB meleeists don't have.

Brilliant Adorei... exists? It isn't super good, and I don't see it as particularly interesting either.

Now, weapons like Gorgon and Flying Silver Dream are really good. But for me in those cases it feels like it's more about the weapon than the wielder. Which is fine, just not what I imagine for an Invincible Sword Princess. But yeah, if you want the most optimal thing pick either (or both) of these and ride a horse, that'll get you Invincible. Might as well include Stormbringer in this category.

...Now I'm envisioning a Dragon Blooded dual-wielding Gorgon and Stormbringer while riding a big scary mount and Flying Silver Dream orbiting around and I really feel like running away from them as fast as possible.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Water probably edges out at the end of the melee tree. If getting the cap charms are an issue water would be more useful. Unless you want to combine with presence.

Comment

Thanks guys.

DrLoveMonkey, there's some pretty interesting things going on there that I didn't think of. What Aspect do you think is best with that build? Fire?

And with twin short daiklaives, would Fire Dragon be worth taking?

Originally posted by BadassOverlord
                        Imprimatur might be a cool choice thematically speaking for a cocky Invincible Sword Dynast, but the best it has to offer is decent BnB withering boost, which non-Wood Aura DB meleeists don't have.
                        I forgot about Imprimatur actually, but I don't remember it being amazing.

Originally posted by Epimetheus
                        Water probably edges out at the end of the melee tree. If getting the cap charms are an issue water would be more useful.
                        Sorry, not quite following that. Do you mean if getting the cap charms isn't difficult water would be more useful?

I don't expect this to be a character that reaches Essence 4, but out of interest, how would you go about doing a higher-essence Water swordswoman?
                        I thought about doing a Water swordswoman actually, because they have a charm for ignoring Overwhelming penalties, a lot of the basic charms are balanced, and there's some really powerful ones higher up, but they seemed awkward in terms of Aura. So I'd be interested to see what the best way to do it is.

My characters:

Comment

I don't actually know what an Invincible Sword Dynast might be.

But sword wielding, House of Bells, Fire aspected Dynast with a Red Jade Diaklave, I can do.

As requested, this is going "as hard as possible". This character is designed to kill things with her (ridiculously huge) sword and nothing else. I have only used published artifacts and charms. This is not intended as a logical, playable character -- it is an exercise in what's technically legal. I've included my math as I suspect Drlovemonkey is overspent for a starting Dynast.

Fire Aspect Cathak Sami

Strength 5
                          Dexterity 5
                          Stamina 1

Charisma 1
                          Manipulation 1
                          Appearance 5

Perception 4
                          Intelligence 1
                          Wits 4

Fire Aspect Abilities (and Specialities)

Athletics 5 (Rushes)
                          Dodge 5 (Whilst wielding a sword)
                          Melee 5 (Swords)
                          Presence 1
                          Socialize 3

Favoured Abilities

Awareness 5 (Join Battle)
                          Resistance 5
                          Integrity 5
                          Ride 5 (Tyrant Lizards)
                          War 5 (My personal guard)

Merits (Native Language: High Realm)

Fast Reflexes 3
                          Familiar (Rexy the Tyrant Lizard) 3
                          Artifact 5 (Mela's Coil)
                          Artifact 3 (Pyre of Legions)
                          (Dynastic Freebie) Command 5 (Mag 5, Elite - My Personal Guard)

Free Excellencies

1. Effortlessly Rising Flame
                          2. Precision Awareness Method
                          3. Threshold Warding Stance
                          4. Stoking Bonfire Style
                          5. Scattered Peal Hoof Falls

Charms

1. Heat of Battle Advance
                          2. Flickering Candle Meditation
                          3. Ember-Amid-Smoke Misdirection
                          4. Flame-Borne Interception
                          5. Blinding Spark Distraction
                          6. Burning Fury Wreath
                          7. Crimson Fang Bite
                          8. Elemental Sheath
                          9. Dragon Graced Weapon
                          10. Flame Warden Stance
                          11. Blazing Interception
                          12. Oxbody Technique
                          13. Oxbody Technique x2
                          14. Heaven (G)Racing Leap

Evocations

15. Wind Rider Swiftness
                          Free. Loyalty Kindling Warmth

Intimacies

Defining Principle: I will give anything to protect my comrades (cannot be weakened)
                          Defining Tie: Rexy (Familial love)
                          Major Principle: The Immaculate Faith (Loyal Adherence)
                          Minor Tie: Anathema (Disgust)

Bonus Points
                          Taking 8 abilities from 3 to 5 (16)
                          Merits 1
                          Ride Speciality 1

Evasion 6
                          Parry 6
                          Soak 12 Hardness 10
                          Mobility Penalty -0
                          Diaklave Attacks Accuracy 12 (11 Decisive), Damage 19 (Overwhelming 6), Lethal, Reaching, Two-handed
                          Razor Claws Accuracy 10 (5 Decisive), 15 Damage (OVR 3), Lethal, Concealable, Worn
                          Join Battle 11 (+3 to result)
                          Rush 11 (Mounted 13)
                          Disengage 11 (Mounted 13)
                          Command Troops 13
                          Resolve 5
                          Guile 2

Willpower 5
                          Essence 2
                          Personal motes 13
                          Peripheral motes 31 (20, 11 committed)

The character plays simply: hit things with diaklave in Fire Aura. Ideally you want to stay on the back of your Tyrant Lizard and (ab)use Flame Warden Stance/Blazing Interception, but you're perfectly capable of fighting on foot. (Being mounted is a great advantage, but I say "go big or go home".) The troops under your Command can be a liability under the wrong circumstances -- beware sorcerers.

Mela's Coil is insane. Heavy armour. No mobility penalty. Backup, non-disarmable weapons. You are immune to drowning and to airborne poisons, diseases and environmental hazards. For 5m you can reflexively rush from Medium range (with two non-charm dice if mounted) and get +5 bonus (uniform) damage dice if you attack the same turn.

Rexy is a freaking T-rex. Enjoy it. Take the ride charms that let it fly with your experience points. Hold on with your legs and swing that two-handed sword. Or don't -- use your action to command Rexy to attack instead.

You can't do anything at range or against dematerialised spirits. Which is bad. But that's what the Legion of personal guard is for. Lead from the front and be heroic. You can't read. You only speak High Realm. You have no money. But you are good at what you do.
                          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 05-26-2019, 04:10 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Ha, that's brilliant.

Though can you attack from a Tyrant Lizard's back?

My characters:

Comment

Enormous mounts such as mammoths, yeddim, or tyrant lizards prevent their rider from being attacked at all by short-range weapons not possessing the reaching tag, unless opponents first use a miscellaneous (Dexterity + Athletics, difficulty 3) action to climb aboard the huge mount (this counts as the character’s movement for the round). However, riders atop such mounts similarly cannot attack opponents on the ground with short-range weapons which lack the reaching tag.
                              pg 203

Grand Daiklaves have the reaching tag, so I guess it's fair game.

Comment

Working...
                              X