No announcement yet.

Help me design the Invincible Sword Dynast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, that's fine then. I'll have a look at Pyre of the Legions.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Ha, that's brilliant.

Though can you attack from a Tyrant Lizard's back?
      You need the Reaching tag, which is the only reason I went with Pyre of Legions instead of Spring Razor.

Narratively, that T-rex is going to be bending down to bite folks, which is when you attack. Horse archers are adept at using both hands on the bow and legs on the mount. It's not as ridiculous as it first appears.

It is still pretty ridiculous.
      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 05-26-2019, 02:46 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Why I have Gyoubu Matasaka Oniwa flashes reading these builds?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
          This is not intended as a logical, playable character -- it is an exercise in what's technically legal. I've included my math as I suspect Drlovemonkey is overspent for a starting Dynast.
          Ah you're right I'm overspent by one charm, apologies.

Thanks guys.

DrLoveMonkey, there's some pretty interesting things going on there that I didn't think of. What Aspect do you think is best with that build? Fire?
          Different aspects bring different strengths. Wood isn't as mobile and therefore more vulnerable against things like flying archers, but it also lets you use Demon Crushing Wolf Bite more easily, and if you're sporting twinblades the overwhelming value is pretty good against high soak foes. Fire probably is the best though, overall. Clashing attacks means that your adding your weapon accuracy to your defense, essentially, and forcing the enemy to lose a clash deals bonus damage and defense penalties.

Being fire also lets you use offensive charms out of the dodge tree and later on things like Burning Pinnacle Strike are extremely powerful. Just watch as a Fire aspect that you don't burn out, between all the Cloud Riot, Portentous Comet Deflection, Burning Pinnacle Strikes, Blinding Spark Distractions, Blazing Interception Counterattacks, and Harnessed Firestorm Assault multiattacks you're going to have the opportunity to burn through your entire mote pool in two rounds easy.

That's not a challenge that a wood aspect faces as much, between Root Hand Merging and Aura of Grasping Branches your Willpower might suffer a little, but your defenses will be extremely high, capbursting with both melee and doge using Swaying Grass Elusion. If you go that route I might say abandon the idea of clashing every enemy attack, and grab a medium daiklave to make your parry skyrocket into double digits on a regular basis. Especially if you're building up your melee excellency, you could get a parry of up to 12 consistently, while ignoring all onslaught penalties.

Air probably isn't going to give you the feeling you want of being invincible, the incredible mobility that you get out of it for both attacking and retreating is very powerful, but it's not really the same. From a sheer power perspective you probably want to pick something else.

JohnDoe's idea of using the Tyrant Lizard really is the best though.

Then again there isn't anything but the ST stopping you from just dumping all your unrestricted merits and bonus points into familiars and having a small army of ten tyrant lizards. If you're an air aspect the one that you're riding will also fly. All of which, also, can be outfitted with at least light armor for 18/5 soak, or heavy for 22/5 if you don't care about the mobility penalty.

OR if you want you could do it like this, dump all the bonus points into merits, giving us an effective total of 36. Then use 16 to get 4 young droagonblooded retainers, 5 to get an elite size 5 battlegroup, and then use 15 to get 5 tyrant lizards. Equip them all with howdahs and heavy armor, and then split up your elite battlegroup into kill teams with bows and reach weapons on their backs, and get your dragonblooded retainers to use Blazing Courageous Swordsman Inspiration and full excellencies to give the battlegroups deadly attacks, and possibly flurry them with Roaring Dragon Officer to do other things like aim for a follow up powerbow shot with Death From Nowhere enhancing it.

Then you stand behind all of that directing it and attacking yourself. Also that way even if you're caught out somewhere that your tyrant lizards can't get to, you have yourself and four young DBs backing you up, and I can tell you from experience that very few things in the world of Exalted want to go 5v1 against Dragonblooded.

Also actually don't do any of that except get the DB retainers. Young DBs get ten merit dots and fifteen bonus points, just use your 36 merit dots on 9 retainers, each of whom bring their own tyrant lizard, elite battlegroup, and artifacts. As your retainers they serve you loyally so you can just direct them.

And with twin short daiklaives, would Fire Dragon be worth taking?
          Just in general more options are always better, but I'd say it's not worth it. Using Fire Dragon to defend won't build up your melee excellency and the two don't combine really with anything. If you want you could go with Fire Dragon and Steel Devil as a combo and just forget about melee, since you have limited charms. Join Battle with Naked Fang Draw and Flash-Fire Technique, then strike with Triple Attack Technique, which will chain into Steel Devil Strike, which benefits from the damage bonus of Flash-Fire Technique because it's a decisive attack on your first turn.

Originally posted by Shapechanger View Post
          Why I have Gyoubu Matasaka Oniwa flashes reading these builds?
          I'm going to show that to my ST the next time I make a character like this just so he understands how awesome it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            JohnDoe's idea of using the Tyrant Lizard really is the best though.

Then again there isn't anything but the ST stopping you from just dumping all your unrestricted merits and bonus points into familiars and having a small army of ten tyrant lizards. If you're an air aspect the one that you're riding will also fly. All of which, also, can be outfitted with at least light armor for 18/5 soak, or heavy for 22/5 if you don't care about the mobility penalty.

OR if you want you could do it like this, dump all the bonus points into merits, giving us an effective total of 36. Then use 16 to get 4 young droagonblooded retainers, 5 to get an elite size 5 battlegroup, and then use 15 to get 5 tyrant lizards. Equip them all with howdahs and heavy armor, and then split up your elite battlegroup into kill teams with bows and reach weapons on their backs, and get your dragonblooded retainers to use Blazing Courageous Swordsman Inspiration and full excellencies to give the battlegroups deadly attacks, and possibly flurry them with Roaring Dragon Officer to do other things like aim for a follow up powerbow shot with Death From Nowhere enhancing it.

Then you stand behind all of that directing it and attacking yourself. Also that way even if you're caught out somewhere that your tyrant lizards can't get to, you have yourself and four young DBs backing you up, and I can tell you from experience that very few things in the world of Exalted want to go 5v1 against Dragonblooded.

Also actually don't do any of that except get the DB retainers. Young DBs get ten merit dots and fifteen bonus points, just use your 36 merit dots on 9 retainers, each of whom bring their own tyrant lizard, elite battlegroup, and artifacts. As your retainers they serve you loyally so you can just direct them.
            Damn. That's... BRB, I gotta go write up a Dynastic Matriach.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Here’s my completely unhelpful advice:
              Lean heavily on Evocations, you can justify all sorts of useful melee competency charms by dint of it being Your Sword.and an artifact can easily have as many charms as a whole ability.

Concerned about losing your sword? Even better.
              Be a sorcerer with Wood Dragon Claw as your control spell. First evocation In is Permanent, and makes the claw manifest as a sword.

Comment

Working...
              X