Custom Artifact and Charm Creation Assitance for a New Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Artifact and Charm Creation Assitance for a New Player

So my GM has requested that everyone in our group come up with a custom 3 dot artifact to fit our characters specifically (We started as mortals and this is his way of making up for the 3 merit points that vanish into the ether if you start mortal and then exalt instead of making an exalt from the beginning.)

He has also requested we create a custom charm for our character to be a kind of signature charm. Problem being I'm relatively new to exalted and exalted is a massive fucking beast, so I'm really struggling on how to go forward with this, both ideas wise and mechanics wise.

I'm presently playing a street urchin from nexus, a mutant child of mutant parents who are more than a little mentally unwell due to their living conditions and profession. Part of gangs since a young age due to necessity, they were often a pickpocket and lookout prior to the story driving them towards exaltation lol. They exalted into being an awareness supernal night caste that is focused heavily on some rather cliche night caste things like athletics, stealth and larceny, dashed with investigation but little to no combat skill.

Sorry if this is asking too much or inappropriate, but as I'm drawing a blank I figure I'd rather ask than not and see where that gets me.

So, there's two things here - a unique artifact, and a custom Solar charm, right? To work these out, there's a couple of things to work out about your character. Let's start with the Solar charm, because that's probably the easier of the two.

For the charm, I would imagine you're going to want to pick a charm you'll use a fair bit. That suggests putting it in Awareness, your Supernal Ability, but doesn't necessarily dictate that. But since you can take charms of any Essence for Awareness, it's a little easier to make a custom charm there. So, have you picked any Awareness charms yet? Or any other charms? Do you have any idea of what sort of charms you want? Are there any effects you think would be cool to be able to do, but aren't really present in the Solar charmset yet? Remember, when you're thinking about things for your charm to do, it's probably best to think narratively, rather than mechanically - that is, think about what sort of cool things characters in various types of fiction can do, that you want to be able to duplicate. Really, anyone who can do incredible things just because they've trained intensively, or just have an incredible natural talent for a skill, is a good source for Solar effects.

For the artifact, it might be a little more involved, because unless it's a very weak artifact (only 2 dots), it will probably have evocations, each of which are basically a custom charm. Now, this isn't absolutely necessary - there are artifacts in Arms of the Chosen and the core book that are 3 dots or higher but don't have evocations. But evocations are really the main way that 3e Exalted does really cool artifact powers, so if this is supposed to be a major part of your character, thinking in terms of evocations is probably a good idea. So, assuming it's got evocations, the next step is to decide what sort of thing it is, and work out some of its backstory and history, which will inform its basic powers and what evocations can be developed for it. Do you want a weapon? Armor? A magic lantern that reveals ghosts? How did your character acquire this thing? Did they find it in the tomb of their predecessor? Steal it from a Dragon-Blood? Did it fall from the sky one day? I'd say to start working on that, and we can help you more once you've figured that out.

Comment

Kelly has given a really good answer here; covering everything I would have said and more. The only stuff I'd add:

For the Custom Charm, you can always focus on looking for stuff that synergises with your other Abilities. Multi-Ability Charms are a rarity in Exalted, in part because they're quite niche, in part because they buck the trend of being strongly in a theme for a single Ability. That means you can get some leeway to integrate some other cool stuff your character can already do. The other advantage you can get from Custom Charms is having uses that wouldn't make sense for "basic" Solars. Ie, something which synergises with your mutations.

Without knowing your mutations, I'm just gonna spitball some ideas here:
      An Awareness Charm for smelling precious materials; probably a natural extension of the Smell and Taste catalogue.
      A Larceny Charm that upgrades Null Anima Gloves to be useable to steal senses.
      An Awareness/Investigation Charm that allows the Solar to use a variant of Hearing/Touch Techniques to be able to hear what is happening near a cased character from miles away.

For the Artifact: If you want a weapon or armour, feel free to pick them up without Evocations and either have the backstory be shrouded in mystery or just have a vague theme and be willing to roll with it. You don't need Evocations for your artifact right away, and if you've got a theme then they'll write themselves pretty quickly.

Comment

Here are some ideas for the signature Awareness Charm of a street urchin :

-A hearing Charm that lets you hear trouble brewing as a literal background noise. The louder, the more a place is filled with unrest or criminal activity.

-A hearing Charm that lets you track someone by the sound their money makes when it moves in their purse. Once you acquire a target, any time they take out their purse to pay or put coin in it, you hear it and know their exact location up to extreme range or within the city you are in.

-A touch Charm that lets you feel the contents of a solid container by touching the container.

-A sight Charm that lets you discern what a person is carrying on them merely by looking at them, deducing the presence and nature of items hidden from view by the smallest bulges or indentations in a target's pockets or bags.
        Last edited by Epitome; 05-30-2019, 06:59 AM. Reason: added 4th idea

Comment

To answer Kelly's questions, I have 5 awareness charms. I do have others but these are the 5 Awareness ones anyway. Sensory Acuity Prana, Surprise Anticipation Method, Keen Sight Technique, Keen Hearing and Touch Technique, and Awakening Eye.

What comes to mind for awareness charms that would be interesting to me might be something that let's you read emotions or intentions better, even though that seems minor. Unfortunately I'm *pretty* sure that falls under the realm of socialize.

The Artifact is something left behind by my predecessor, a previous incarnation as it were, in a long-buried and defunct temple that the circle located. Possibly a tomb? I don't imagine it to be a weapon, armor is possible, but more likely I view it as some type of tool, something mobility related.

That's... well, that's what I've got upon being asked for further clarification and needing to think about it lol

Comment

Pixel:
            In terms of reading people, in general that’s a function of Socialize or Investgation, as you’ve said. Awareness/Stealth Charms already give a benefit because character should you are observing from afar take penalties to their guile when reading intentions. There is one Charm that breaks these rules, genius palate summation, and you could possibly come up with a custom version of that Charm if you were married to the idea.

Mobility-related artefact:
            The belt of shadow walking from the core book definitely counts.
            Unfortunately, wings of flying are 4-dot artefacts.
            If you wanted ninja armour, then that’s also an appropriate subject for a 3-dot artefact, and if you wanted a mobility-related theme, that could really work.

Comment

Here are some 3 dot artifacts that might interest you :

-The Golden Hounds are artifact sandals for running which improve tracking and stealth detection, among other things.

-The 3 dot Clockwork bird is a messenger bird construct with human-level intelligence

-Eyebright is a medium armor full of eyes that see danger and grant you advantages against enemies whose intimacies you know

-Far-Ranging Eye is a Chakram that specializes in investigating crime and tracking down criminals

Comment

Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post
                What comes to mind for awareness charms that would be interesting to me might be something that let's you read emotions or intentions better, even though that seems minor. Unfortunately I'm *pretty* sure that falls under the realm of socialize.
                By default, yeah, reading someone's emotions would be Socialize, a function of Read Intentions. But I wouldn't rule it out from Awareness because of that. Charms can allow you to do with one Ability what's normally the province of another. Consider Iron Raptor Technique, in Melee, which allows you to attack at range, for example. The key thing is to see whether the thing you want to do fits the Ability thematically - and I think that detecting emotions definitely fits thematically into Awareness. It's a very common trick for people with superhuman senses to pull off. And there's already a charm in Awareness that does, albein in a limited fashion: Genius Palate Summation. So, here's a proposed charm:

Passion (Sensing) Discipline
                Cost: 1m; Mins: Awareness 4, Essence 1
                Type: Simple
                Keywords: None
                Duration: Instant
                Prerequisite Charms: One of Keen Sight Technique, Keen Taste and Smell Technique, or Keen Hearing and Touch Technique
                A Dagger of Heaven's senses are so acute that she can hear heartbreak, smell fear, or see joy, sensing the ephemeral as easily as she observes more material phenomena. This charm allows a special Read Intentions action, rolling (Perception + Awareness), on which the Solar receives double-9s. To use it, she must be able to use the sense enhanced by this charm's prerequisite. If she has more than one of the prerequisite charms, and can sense the target with multiple enhanced senses, she gets double-8s on the Read Intentions roll for two senses, or double-7s for three or more senses. The target's Guile is penalized by the strength of the emotions they are experiencing (as per Intimacies). If the Read Intentions roll is successful, the Solar learns what emotions the target is experiencing, and their strength.

This charm can be used remotely, as long as some way of sensing the target exists - an accurate visual recording could allow sight-based reading of their heart, while a lingering odor permits scent-based analysis. Such readings always apply to what the target was feeling at the time the recording or other trace was created, rather than their current emotions. If the Lawgiver is reading scents, she suffers a -1 penalty to the Read Intentions roll for every hour since the scent was left, unless she has Unsurpassed Taste and Smell Discipline, in which case the penalty becomes -1 per day.

Originally posted by PixelPuzzler
                I don't imagine it to be a weapon, armor is possible, but more likely I view it as some type of tool, something mobility related.
                How does the idea of winged sandals grab you? You could probably borrow a lot of effects from Athletics to make up evocations for them, starting with things like Graceful Crane Stance and Soaring Crane Leap, and eventually going full-on flying.

Comment

Where do I locate the Artifact "Far-Ranging Eye" ???

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post
                    Where do I locate the Artifact "Far-Ranging Eye" ???

It's one of the artifacts from Lunars: Fangs at the Gate, so if you didn't back the Lunars Kickstarter campaign, you'll have to wait until Lunars comes out (probably next year, based on previous Exalted Kickstarters).

Comment

I... Honestly I don't think that charm could be more perfect for what I wanted lol. That's fantastic, thank you. As for the artifacts, well, I'll need to do a bit of thinking, but you're input has given me some good directions to think in, which is what I was hoping for.

Comment

I... Honestly I don't think that charm could be more perfect for what I wanted lol. That's fantastic, thank you.
                        Glad I could help! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

It's one of the artifacts from Lunars: Fangs at the Gate, so if you didn't back the Lunars Kickstarter campaign, you'll have to wait until Lunars comes out (probably next year, based on previous Exalted Kickstarters).

Ahhh... Thank You

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

So my GM has requested that everyone in our group come up with a custom 3 dot artifact to fit our characters specifically (We started as mortals and this is his way of making up for the 3 merit points that vanish into the ether if you start mortal and then exalt instead of making an exalt from the beginning.)

He has also requested we create a custom charm for our character to be a kind of signature charm. Problem being I'm relatively new to exalted and exalted is a massive fucking beast, so I'm really struggling on how to go forward with this, both ideas wise and mechanics wise.

I'm presently playing a street urchin from nexus, a mutant child of mutant parents who are more than a little mentally unwell due to their living conditions and profession. Part of gangs since a young age due to necessity, they were often a pickpocket and lookout prior to the story driving them towards exaltation lol. They exalted into being an awareness supernal night caste that is focused heavily on some rather cliche night caste things like athletics, stealth and larceny, dashed with investigation but little to no combat skill.

Sorry if this is asking too much or inappropriate, but as I'm drawing a blank I figure I'd rather ask than not and see where that gets me.
                            I would note that your GM demands a lot of his players. I assume your group has played a lot of other role playing games prior to this Exalted campaign, because then this makes a lot of sense. If you have, then this is very cool and good luck to you all, as I am sure you come up with some really cool ideas!
                            I am building one in cooperation with one of my players now, and we have had a blast brainstorming what it does as a lv 4 serpent sting staff focusing on some cool abilities that enhances the diplomatic aspects of the Eclipse caste (as of current, we have given it evocations to find, shadowlands, the wyld pockets, a road to hell, and finally, a high essence evocation that points the way to the closest gate to heaven). But I am not very good at creating mechanics, so I am not sure if our creation is balanced or not for a lv 4 artifact. As a story teller I am going to allow it though, since it was a blast creating it and since we spent hours thinking up cool thematic stuff that it could do as well as the backstory for the artifact, even though it might compass a bit much for a lv 4 artifact (I honestly don't know, I am not good at this as a GM), unless someone here points out a good reason for it to be nerfed in some way.
                            Anyway, some people on this forum are really good at this. Kelly Pedersen seems to be, and I personally, had some help from reading up a bit the guide from The Unsung Hero (thanks, for your material, if you read this, The Unsung Hero).

Comment

If you keep singing his praises, he won't be The Unsung Hero.

Comment

Working...
                              X