No announcement yet.

League of Legends' Yordles in Creation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League of Legends' Yordles in Creation?

In the current lore-state of League of Legends, Yordles are kind of like fairies who live in Bandle City, a realm parallel to the mortal world of Runeterra. When Yordles leave Bandle City to travel through or live in Runeterra, they become extremely impressionable creatures who whole-heartedly emulate the cultures they experience.

Poppy followed a tribe of humans led by an extremely charismatic and disciplined man who founded the kingdom of Demacia. The man impressed Poppy so much that she became the sort of person he admired, and he entrusted her with his magical hammer. Even generations later, Poppy remains a living embodiment of Demacian values despite the fact that she wittingly or unwittingly hides her existence from them. They wouldn't recognize her as a citizen or hero anyway, since they fear and hate all magic and magical beings.

Kleg actually is known and recognized by the Noxian foot-soldiers and peasant-officers on whom he's imprinted, and he openly fights alongside them... or against them... he's an independent wild-card that no one can rely upon.

One Yordle whose name I can't remember was captured, imprisoned, and tortured by Mordekaiser (think First-and-Forsaken Lion), and lost his mind. During Mordekaiser's disappearance, the Yordle escaped, but he imprinted on Mordekaiser, and now styles himself as an evil-sorcerer and would-be tyrant who goes around destroying anyone and anything that reminds him of Mordekaiser to prove himself the superior sorcerer-tyrant to prove himself the most evil being in the world. He'll save a village of people being oppressed by some lord or monster, declare the people not worthy of being oppressed by him, and leave them in peace to find his next target.

Another Yordle who ventured to Ionia joined the Kinku ninja monastery, adopting their ways and becoming one of their agents.

I wouldn't suggest that this is an appropriate model for Raksha, but it does seem like an interesting idea for a far more benign form of Fair Folk "noble" creature. Something more powerful and inherently flexible in expression than the commoner species en

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    One Yordle whose name I can't remember was captured, imprisoned, and tortured by Mordekaiser (think First-and-Forsaken Lion), and lost his mind. During Mordekaiser's disappearance, the Yordle escaped, but he imprinted on Mordekaiser, and now styles himself as an evil-sorcerer and would-be tyrant who goes around destroying anyone and anything that reminds him of Mordekaiser to prove himself the superior sorcerer-tyrant to prove himself the most evil being in the world. He'll save a village of people being oppressed by some lord or monster, declare the people not worthy of being oppressed by him, and leave them in peace to find his next target.
    Do you mean Veigar, perhaps?

Another Yordle who ventured to Ionia joined the Kinku ninja monastery, adopting their ways and becoming one of their agents.
    Kennen, definitely Kennen.

I wouldn't suggest that this is an appropriate model for Raksha, but it does seem like an interesting idea for a far more benign form of Fair Folk "noble" creature. Something more powerful and inherently flexible in expression than the commoner species en
    Does the division noble/commoner still apply to Raksha in 3e? Must admit i'm quite uncertain overall.

On the matter of adapting them, i like it very much and at the same time am of two minds on this.

Yes, they could be worked as some peculiar brand of fair folk that is not really Raksha, nor any of their slave races. That their fluff references a sort of glamour that helps them to mesh in mortal societies their peculiar appearances notwithstanding provides more than enough rationale for this.

That said, making them as an elemental race could be even more rewarding, as it preserves all of the "wide-eyed spirit outsider exploring and participating into the mortal world" aspect, with none of the predatory/seductive/nightmarish aspects of the Fae in Exalted (and don't mesh with Yordles as a people at all).

Extra bonus in that porting their lore of their race and Bandle City to one's version of Creation can make for a great sample for players & STs both in how make up crazy supernattural races & civilizations for one's own game out of elementals, sorely underrepresented in previous editions.

My two cents of thought on the subject, at least for the moment.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 05-30-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I don't see why it couldn't work, Raksha probably have different levels of obsession with Creation, and just because you emulate something doesn't mean your good or noble either, but it could certainly work to justify one. Not Familiar with League though. They sound like they have a surprisingly rich lorebase.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
        Do you mean Veigar, perhaps?

Kennen, definitely Kennen.
        Yes, and yes.

Does the division noble/commoner still apply to Raksha in 3e? Must admit i'm quite uncertain overall.
        The words are still used, but they have new meaning. Fair Folk vaguely refers to all Wyld Creatures, though presumably mostly the ones that look and act like people. Nobles refers strictly to the Raksha, or anything a mortal confuses for a leader or powerful figure among the Fair Folk. Commoners refers strictly to the Wyld races enslaved by the Fair Folk.

That said, making them as an elemental race could be even more rewarding, as it preserves all of the "wide-eyed spirit outsider exploring and participating into the mortal world" aspect
        Except none of the Yordles are particularly elemental? Kennen's lightning abilities come closest, perhaps, unless you see Teemo as a Wood Elemental.

But certainly, they don't all evoke the same element. Every elemental species thus far has been the same element.

Also, all elementals are inherently material, and native to the material world of Creation, rather than any sort of fae parallel world. Elementals can't even make sanctums like gods.

with none of the predatory/seductive/nightmarish aspects of the Fae in Exalted (and don't mesh with Yordles as a people at all).
        Not everything out of the Wyld needs to be predatory, seductive, or nightmarish. Just weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
          I don't see why it couldn't work, Raksha probably have different levels of obsession with Creation, and just because you emulate something doesn't mean your good or noble either, but it could certainly work to justify one.
          Not all Yordles are good or noble. Kleg is a bloodthirsty gloryhound who hates everyone equally.

Not Familiar with League though. They sound like they have a surprisingly rich lorebase.
          League's lore started as basically an excuse that kept them from getting sued by Blizzard or the people who came up with Defense of the Ancients.

Then they chucked half that lore out for something new.

The internal culture of the company greatly emphasized the mechanical performance of the game far above the lore, which they might only recently have started addressing.

Even so, they continue to make new characters while old favorites still don't have any proper lore.

If you find T B Skyen on Youtube, he's got a series of videos just for League of Legends, its lore, and its character designs. I like it.

Comment

Except none of the Yordles are particularly elemental? Kennen's lightning abilities come closest, perhaps, unless you see Teemo as a Wood Elemental.

But certainly, they don't all evoke the same element. Every elemental species thus far has been the same element.
            Fizz might make a case for water too.

But yeah, that no one element correlates to them is quite undeniable from what i have seen (must admit most of what i know of LoL lore comes from quick searches via Google while answering these posts) so far, while some bits do make an association with fae an easy one.

That said, not all elemental associations have to be physical, as the connection of air aspects to knowledge, learning, curiosity and other things show.

The books of previous editions have (in a somewhat haphazard & disconnected manner) correlated a lot of stuff with elements - colors, emotional states or personality traits, kinds of animals, among other things - depending on what you mix & match, how and to what degree one can come up with considerably different sorts of beings under the same element, as varied as the peculiar capacities of hearthstones, if not more so.

Also, all elementals are inherently material, and native to the material world of Creation, rather than any sort of fae parallel world. Elementals can't even make sanctums like gods.
            And as the Elemental Poles and loads of demesnes show, even though part of Creation the birthplaces/homes of such beings can be as magical and alien as any Freehold or waypoint in the borders of Creation. And yet (theoretically) more approachable.

Not everything out of the Wyld needs to be predatory, seductive, or nightmarish. Just weird.
            True, the unicorns are one example of a chaos native that runs counter to such. But you cited them in comparison and contrast with the Raksha yourself, hence my bringing it up the imagery and associations subject.

Comment

Working...
            X