No announcement yet.

The Civil War Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were to run a Civil War scenario in play, I'd have a lot of the particulars up to PCs, but this is one idea for how things might go down.

Peleps and V'neef get into a fight, starting off the war. Nellens and Tepet support V'neef. Cathak and Ragara support Peleps. Mnemon waits until things get heated, then joins up with Cynis and Sesus to take over the Imperial City. Ledaal offers tacit support to Mnemon, but in practice remains neutral, not wanting to get on the bad side of all their neighbours. Mnemon allies with House Ferem.
    If Mnemon looks close to winning, Iselsi launches their surprise attack on Mnemon-Darjilis, but if it looks too weak Sesus decides to make its own bid for the throne. If Ragara looks too weak, Cathak probably pulls out of their alliance, which would probably result in Peleps sailing west to make their own empire (with blackjack and hookers) - more or less leaving Ragara unable to compete on its own.
    I like the idea that, essentially, the original 'factions form around the various 'housed' children of the Empress wanting to make their own bid - Mnemon, Ragara and V'neef. But, by the end of things, all of these original candidates would be dead, leading to different primary claimants, with there still being a certain amount of 'legitimacy' being placed around the Empress' other children - Berit, Oban and Ivoret, if he ends up Exalting. If those claimants die, then it becomes well and truly anyone's game.

Whoever gets the throne, the Silver Pact is probably going to invade shortly after - if the war goes on long enough, they probably won't even wait that long.
    Last edited by Kleptomania; 06-07-2019, 08:53 PM.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

Oban? I don't remember who that is.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        Oban? I don't remember who that is.
        Son of the Empress, married to the matriarch of House Sesus.

Comment

My personal take on the Realm Civil War divides the Houses themselves into sub-factions based on the candidates they support. I think treating the Houses as monolithic power blocs is fine and certainly makes them easier to manage (especially in terms of consistent characterisation), but to me it makes more sense to align factions within the Realm with candidates for the throne rather than along House lines.

In the campaign I'm running there are several factions in the Realm and each is aligned behind a candidate or set of candidates. For instance, the conservative Swordgrass Faction support a duumvirate of Ledaal Rae and Peleps Lai, to be appointed as Consuls of the Greater Deliberative until the Empress' return. They draw support from young and middle-aged members of House Ledaal and House Peleps, a scattering of Loyalist youths and deeply conservative elders from the other Houses, veteran Outcastes expelled from the Legions along with some Loyalist defectors, a significant portion of the Foreign Office and some chapters of the Immaculate Order, particularly those which harbour sympathies for the Imperial Cult or have a long history of political meddling.

I've found this approach made it easier to involve a wider cross-section of the Realm in the Civil War without having to spend a while calculating House influence in the Imperial Service and suchlike. When it's candidate-based you can simply consider how the candidate's policies might appeal to different power blocs and you can also create interesting conflicts where sections of the Houses, the Immaculate Order and other factions turn against one another.

Comment

So lately I've started to think about what would cause an House who doesn't has a likely contender to the throne to try and push one of their scions to become an Empress- for example, House Ledaal.

The scenario I have in mind is that during her fight against the Solars in Jiara, Mnemon was killed by the Anathema. Seeing their nemesis falling in the battlefied (together with many of House Mnemon's soldiers, I assume), House Ragara arrange an assassination to get V'neef killed, and then use their influence over holding most of the other Houses in debt in order to claim the throne under a Ragara Emperor. After taking the throne and disposing of Fokuf, the Emperor starts making reforms in the Empire, which includes the official dissolution of Houses Mnemon, V'neef and Tepet, as well as trying to cause House Nellens to fall apart and take control over the patrician families. Many of those reforms also slowly weaken the power of the Immaculate Order, and are meant to encourage investigation of the occult and other strange phenomena.

While his reign brings stability to the Realm, the fact is that Banoba's rule is not popular- some of the reforms cause uprisings among citizens, and the Emperor does not fear to use force in order to silence them. Eventually, an agent of the All Seeing Eye (perhaps an Iselsi) manages to find some proof for the forbidden practices of House Ragara and presents it to House Ledaal, which have also suffered from the new reforms. The House, after quietly moving to its satrapies, presents the proof publicaly and denounce the Emperor and his house as heretics. House Nellens and the shattered remains of Houses Tepet, Mnemon and V'neef support House Ledaal's claims, as well as House Nellens. The Immaculate Order is divided between wanting to maintain the peace and accepting the claims- yet it is likely that if the proof is strong enough the Order would support Ledaal. Meanwhile, Houses Cynis and Sesus would support the Emperor, due to some financial arrangements in their debts done in advance, as well as House Cathak (for the need to maintain stability). House Peleps declares independence from the Realm and goes to establish its own Western Empire, while House Iselsi keeps on watching and keeps their knives sharp.

Or maybe something like that. A much simpler scenario than the most, with only two factions- one having legitimacy and no power, and the other having power without legitimacy. And House Peleps becoming independent, which is a popular scenario from what I can see. I now wonder what other strange scenarios could lead some of the other Houses- such as Sesus or Nellens, or even Iselsi- to try and claim the throne for themselves.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Regarding the three “teams” that fans came up with, one of the things I like about WFHW is that none of the House Alliances are simple. So, while that set up is plausible, there’s enough standing in the way and enough other ways things could break, that pretty much any configuration of House alliances could happen. Which is nice.

Comment

Yeah, there's a lot of cases where Houses are allied but don't much like each other, or opposed but their interests align, or so on. So it can go different ways.

My characters:
                Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I find myself wondering if the other major Dragon-Blooded groups might get involved in the civil war.
                  What if Lookshy wanted to make a bid to take control of the Realm? What if one of the Great Houses managed to secure them as an ally? If nothing else, I could definitely see them assisting the Realm if the Silver Pact ends up launching an attack-... After all, who are the Lunar Exalted likely to target first if they seize the Sword of Creation?
                  If civil war breaks out, Prasad is in a good position to gain its independence. But what if Clan Burano and Ophris want more than that? They might want to back a claimant to the throne who they think would be favourable to the interests of their own empire-... Maybe even marry into the new ruling family. Prasad is very far away, so I imagine that most of the support it could offer would consist of financial aid and potentially the disruption of nearby satrapies loyal to enemy houses, but they could probably lend some military forces to their allies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post
                    I find myself wondering if the other major Dragon-Blooded groups might get involved in the civil war.
                    What if Lookshy wanted to make a bid to take control of the Realm? What if one of the Great Houses managed to secure them as an ally? If nothing else, I could definitely see them assisting the Realm if the Silver Pact ends up launching an attack-... After all, who are the Lunar Exalted likely to target first if they seize the Sword of Creation?
                    If civil war breaks out, Prasad is in a good position to gain its independence. But what if Clan Burano and Ophris want more than that? They might want to back a claimant to the throne who they think would be favourable to the interests of their own empire-... Maybe even marry into the new ruling family. Prasad is very far away, so I imagine that most of the support it could offer would consist of financial aid and potentially the disruption of nearby satrapies loyal to enemy houses, but they could probably lend some military forces to their allies.
                    I'd imagine that Lookshy wouldn't immediately intervene in the war, let the Dynasts tear each other apart before they move in for the kill.

Comment

Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post

I'd imagine that Lookshy wouldn't immediately intervene in the war, let the Dynasts tear each other apart before they move in for the kill.
                      Oh, naturally. Should the war go on long enough, though, I could see it.

Comment

Working...
                      X