Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perfected Water and what it is good for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfected Water and what it is good for?

In Oadenol’s Codex there is a substance called Perfected Water that is made by taking water from the Elemental Pole of Water and the bringing it back and forth to the Elemental Poles of Air And Fire. It is supposed to be a useful exotic ingredient for Artifact creation, but what sort of Artifacts do you use it for?

Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
    In Oadenol’s Codex there is a substance called Perfected Water that is made by taking water from the Elemental Pole of Water and the bringing it back and forth to the Elemental Poles of Air And Fire. It is supposed to be a useful exotic ingredient for Artifact creation, but what sort of Artifacts do you use it for?
    -Drop a behemoth’s eye into the water and freeze it; set the frozen eye at the heart of your Eternal Winter Engine.
    -Use it to quench the black jadesteel daiklave after forging it, to grant it a measure of oceanic power.
    -Squeeze the juices of the Eternal Lemon into it, and mix with the Forbidden Sugars stolen from the kitchens of the fae Pahladeen. Add a sprig of mint. Drink on a hot day; damn, that’s good!

Comment

Make regular bodies of water swell with envy.

Comment

Well, bringing it between the Pole of Air (cold) and Fire (heat) repeatedly suggests to me freezing and thawing. And when you think about it, that's actually a very interesting property of water in general: it's really one of the only materials that exists in all three major states of matter (solid, liquid, and gaseous) in the temperature range humans can tolerate. So I'd riff on that: either give an artifact those general properties, making it something that can transform into a solid, liquid, or gas as necessary, or make the artifact incorporate the perfected water as water in its construction, and take advantage of those properties. For an example of the latter, you could have a daiklaive with a core of perfected water that could transform into steam, liquid water, or ice as the wielder desired, burning enemies with the steam and freezing them with ice, and using the liquid to add momentum to swings.

(Actually, due to the latent heat of freezing or vaporization, it should really be the opposite: the water boiling should chill the blade, and freezing should warm it up. But that depends on how much fun you think real-world physics is when combined with magic.)

Comment

I thought perfected water was supposed to be cycled between each poll not just the north and south?

Comment

It would be a perfect representation of Purity, as such it makes a good medium for other resonance, like Freezing and Vaporizing it gives it first hand representation of Cycles and the natures of Hot and Cold.

Just play around with it.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Is that what Deatklok used to record their new album?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
                It is supposed to be a useful exotic ingredient for Artifact creation, but what sort of Artifacts do you use it for?
                Going by the description, it seems like basically any of them. Water is pretty versatile, it's probably valid even when you need to clean off dust or flux or something.

Something I've found fun in descriptions of the resourced needed for Artifact crafting is that basically every part of the process needs to be something weird and exotic; I believe that was pretty much what the Resources cost of a valid workshop was supposed to constitute, back when that was more of a thing.

So even if what you quench a daiklave in isn't contributing directly to its legend, it still needs to be a liquid with some distinct quality.

It was probably more of a thing for Second Edition where the rule was that you needed one exotic material per dot, so some of them probably ought to just be there to fill the checklist. I don't think it really needs to be much of an obstacle in Third Edition, since most of the burden of the crafting system is placed elsewhere, and there's a small but lucrative trade in exotic and mystical materials. I mean hey, Fajad is selling those behemoth tissues and fluids that it's hauling up to somebody. Hauling ice and water back and forth between the North and South probably isn't the most onerous thing that the Guild does in either of those Directions, and each time it changes hands to go on another trip wherever you get to jack the price up. Sure it probably takes years (unless some especially dedicated merchant prince decides to cut out all of the middlemen to undertake all of the journeys themselves and sell the final product at a premium), but so does aging a decent wine, or even making several kinds of charcoal.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

There is such a thing as dangerously pure water: https://curiosity.com/topics/you-sho...ous-curiosity/

It is unfit for human consumption because it strips minerals from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                    There is such a thing as dangerously pure water: https://curiosity.com/topics/you-sho...ous-curiosity/

It is unfit for human consumption because it strips minerals from you.
                    Maybe the magical version of that is Thistwater from 40k lore.

Except from Dante spoiled for the horrors more than critical story info. It scores highly on lists of worse ways to die in the setting.

Originally posted by Guy Haley, Dante
                    ‘Daneill! Daneill! Stop!’ The stocky boy gave him a stare as hateful as it was bleary, and continued down to the water, where he dropped his pack and poles, still smeared with Florian’s blood. Luis ran after him, reaching him just as he neared the edge. He grabbed Daneill’s arm and pulled him back from the pool. ‘Don’t drink it!’ ‘What?’ he said. Daneill’s manner was confused. His voice slurred, and his actions were slow and exaggerated. ‘I’m thirsty, salty. Let me be.’
                    Daneill was still strong, and he was older than Luis. He swung a rock into Luis’ wrist. Luis released his arm with a cry, and before he could stop him, Daneill was reaching for the water. Luis grabbed his foot, receiving a kick in the face that sent stars rocketing across his vision. Daneill plunged his hands into the thirstwater and sucked greedily from cupped palms. He made three swift gulps, then stopped. He spat, raised his face up and looked at Luis in horrified realisation. ‘Help me!’ he said. By then, it was too late.

‘Daneill!’ Florian cried, hobbling down the slope. Luis scrambled away from Daneill’s outstretched hand. Florian gave an anguished shout. Luis grabbed him to stop him aiding his friend, and with a snarl Florian fell on Luis, punching and kicking him. Luis grappled with the plainsman, locking out his arm and pitching the boy face first into the dust. ‘Stay away from it. Don’t get any of it on you!’ ‘Floriaaaaaaan…’ The name trailed off to an agonised rasp. Daneill’s mouth gaped, showing his tongue shrivelling to a black nub in his mouth.

Daneill walked three steps, scarecrow stiff, legs kicking out as his tendons dried. His mouth worked, trying to suck air in to speak, but his lungs were gone, and his lips smacked together even as they dried and pulled back from his teeth. Hollows appeared in his cheeks, and his eyelids drew back from eyes that rolled in terror. His limbs contorted into painful shapes as his tendons drew tighter than gun springs. His fingers jabbed out at unnatural angles, the sharp cracks of snapping bone echoing around the pool. Daneill’s moistureless corpse crackled like a fire as his tissues shrank and split. His body shuddered as his spine curved, and his skin turned black. Finally his eyes, freakishly moist in his desiccated face, shrivelled up to nothing in his skull. A hideous clicking emanated from a throat now little wider than his spine."

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                      Maybe the magical version of that is Thistwater from 40k lore.

Except from Dante spoiled for the horrors more than critical story info. It scores highly on lists of worse ways to die in the setting.

Ah. 40k

A thousand and one horrible ways to die there.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Ah. 40k

A thousand and one horrible ways to die there.
                        Forty Thousand and one :P

Comment

Working...
                        X