Exalted vs the Titans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted vs the Titans

I was just watching the new Godzilla movie, and as always movies like this make me think of one question:

how strong would a Solar need to be to fight that? Or maybe a circle. I just like the thought of the Exalted fighting things on that scale

hmm, would the Titans be a good comparison for 3rd circle demons?

Haven't seen the movie yet - not even trailers - so no idea of the scale of things to actually judge.

But have you seen some of the things with Legendary Size in the corebook, Hundred Devils or Adversaries of the Chosen?
    I would guess the behemoths and other beings could make a good point of reference to compare and contrast Godzilla, Mothra & others to.

Comment

Titans fits more with Behemoths then Third Circle Demons, typically. So yes that would be a perfectly fine foe for an Exalted to face off, whether its a Circle of Solars or a Dragon-Blooded Wyld Hunt or Realm Legions

Comment

Kaiju are basically why we have warstriders, even in cases where they aren't needed dang does it make it easier.

Comment

Exalted is a crazy awesome mythic setting, but it's not the be-all end-all of settings. The Death Star and Goku both wield enough power to destroy all of Creation in an instant without flexing too hard, whereas a Solar would need to get up to shenanigans to even try it.

The kaiju of the new Godzilla's movie universe are not nearly THAT powerful, but at a canonical 1.5 times the height of the jaeger Gipsy Danger, they're really big. This right here is a size comparison chart from the 2014 movie, but for the 2019 one Godzilla has grown by almost another 50 feet. That's just his canonical height though, as shown in the movies he's much more often depicted at over twice that. Most warstriders are closer to the T-Rex in height, more like a Hulkbuster or a small gundam.

I'd peg Godzilla or King Ghidorah as something that a whole circle of Solars in warstriders might end up fighting. You'd really want the warstriders just to help climb up the damn thing to get to the good bits. The real trick would be killing it before it sweeps it's atomic breath across your city and incinerates it, Shin Godzilla style.

Comment

The newest godzilla is the skyscraper size. It's extreme range from it's feet to its head. It's beyond the scale of basic hitpoints, i'd make it a series of fights to bring down like Shadow of the Colossus.

Here's what Google-sifu says: In the American film Godzilla (2014) from Legendary Pictures, Godzilla was scaled to be 108.2 m (355 ft) and weighing 90,000 metric tons (99,000 short tons), making it the largest film version at that time.

A T-Rex (or Tyrant Lizard) weighs, 5.800 to 15,000 kg, aka 6 - 15 tons. so at 10 tons average, Godzilla is NINE THOUSAND TYRANNOSAURUSES BIG.

At that point I'd make the adventure into finding a way to even hurt Godzilla. It's armored skin is probably a meter thick at a minimum, it's breath attack is comparable to Death Ray. A stomp from Godzilla wouldn't even resolve with dice- I'd use the same rules as I would a Landslide or a falling castle, you find a way to avoid it (Heavenly Guardian Defense, Seven Shadows Evasion) or you take damage.

Actually now I'm intrigued. Phase 1 is deal X damage to merely get it's attention. Phase 2 is find a way to make a weakspot. Phase 3 is wound Godzilla. Phase 4 is finish him off. That's an adventure all onto its own.
            Last edited by Sorcerous Overlord; 06-08-2019, 07:56 PM. Reason: EDIT wow I suck at math. Forgot to convert.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Can Solar's fight Godzilla?

"Yes, and..."

Kaiju have always been taller than Warstriders. When Pacific Rim came out, I think the forum consensus was to let Lunar's handle it (not sure how valid that is in 3E). Godzilla probably is a good analogue to a behemoth, but they evoke an otherworldly Wyld feel to me.

And yes, Goku or the Deathstar could destroy Creation... unless someone with a Perfect Defend Other got in the way.
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 06-08-2019, 04:18 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I’d look at the living volcano we got for scale reference. Maybe even break down Kaiju into parts to attack (mainly King Ghidorah)

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5
                Patreon, with my own games, horror stories, and folklore research here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here
                My free folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

would dusting off the later 2E books and getting the solars above E5 help?

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                    Not really. E6 in 3e doesn’t work the way it used to, and solars more than have the charms to handle Kaiju. Nine Aeons Throw would be handy admittedly.

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5
                    Patreon, with my own games, horror stories, and folklore research here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here
                    My free folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

I’m AFB but pretty sure there’s a Charm to Clash an attack with a grapple attempt.

Get that, Increasing Strength Exercise, Dragon Coil Technique, and Titan-Straightening Method.

You’re good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        I’m AFB but pretty sure there’s a Charm to Clash an attack with a grapple attempt.

Get that, Increasing Strength Exercise, Dragon Coil Technique, and Titan-Straightening Method.

You’re good to go.
                        Yeah, I was going to say how Solars have Charms specifically for brawling with creatures who epically out-size them. And Lunars can go Legendary size themselves (no upper limit is defined, the rules don’t differentiate between t-rex size and Godzilla size, if you want to attach more indomitable rules to the latter than normal Legendary Size, you’ll probably want to make a Lunar take an additional upgrade Charm).

Dragon-Blooded are going to need to be the most Warstrider reliant - though I think there’s room thematically for a War Charm that specifically aides DBs using teamwork to overpower a massively larger foe.
                        Last edited by glamourweaver; 06-08-2019, 02:26 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

To be honest the Earth War Signature would probably be the most helpful in this situation if the enemy is ground based. The Air if they can fly, those can certainly put them into situations where you can attack them more freely. But other then that I dont think dbs get much stuff to deal with legendary size, but by the side point because of their numbers. Kaiju are gonna find themselves having a tough time facing against a Legion with all their DBs and like say if they wanted to rampage across Lookshy that be a big no no, youd die

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                            If we're talking Essence 5 that's a bit different. It doesn't really help with the size department, but a really really focused brawler might stand a chance at beating it. I wouldn't necessarily put it in the same category as Superman, Goku or Saitama, who, depending on where you pull them out of their respective universes, just clobber poor Godzilla in one punch, but victory could be achieved.

You're still not going to be boxing it in the way that Godzilla fights Ghidorah though, not without ST changing a bunch of setting stuff. Doing so would change a lot of other things too, you'd be playing a very different game. Creation is not scaled for things of that size. For almost the entire setting defenses and militaries would be meaningless against Godzilla. The complete destruction of a city would be the work of minutes, fortresses kicked over like sandcastles, armies crushed underfoot with a couple steps.

This is all mechanics aside of course, but bringing mechanics into this makes this really absurd. Like a battlegroup of soldiers bringing down a tyrant lizard with spears? Totally, that works, it's scary as hell and risky, but it could definitely happen. Bringing down a creature with meter thick scales as armor, when even your reach weapons can't strike above the soles of its feet? Not so much.

There's not a whole lot of clips from the new movie available, but here's a full compilation of the 2014 one. He's just TOO big. But, again, Solars could do it, with great effort.

Edit: also I don’t think it should be something anyone takes offence at. The Lensman series, I think, had characters by the end who could snuff out a star with a snap of their fingers. Compared to that the Solar exalted are nothing, but it’s not like Exalted is bad and Lensman is good because of it.
                            Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 06-08-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sorcerous Overlord;n1317126]The newest godzilla is the skyscraper size. It's extreme range from it's feet to its head. It's beyond the scale of basic hitpoints, i'd make it a series of fights to bring down like Shadow of the Colossus.

Here's what Google-sifu says:
                              In the American film Godzilla (2014) from Legendary Pictures, Godzilla was scaled to be 108.2 m (355 ft) and weighing 90,000 metric tons (99,000 short tons), making it the largest film version at that time.[/QUOTE] A T-Rex (or Tyrant Lizard) weighs, 5.800 to 15,000 kg, aka 6 - 15 tons. so at 10 tons average, Godzilla is NINE TYRANNOSAURUSES BIG.
                              Legendary Gojira might be ten T. rex tall (using said Dinosaur's length measurements), but in terms of mass, that's a 9000 T. rex equivalent.

(Crushes mass measuring-device)

At that point I'd make the adventure into finding a way to even hurt Godzilla. It's armored skin is probably a meter thick at a minimum, it's breath attack is comparable to Death Ray. A stomp from Godzilla wouldn't even resolve with dice- I'd use the same rules as I would a Landslide or a falling castle, you find a way to avoid it (Heavenly Guardian Defense, Seven Shadows Evasion) or you take damage.

Actually now I'm intrigued. Phase 1 is deal X damage to merely get it's attention. Phase 2 is find a way to make a weakspot. Phase 3 is wound Godzilla. Phase 4 is finish him off. That's an adventure all onto its own.
                              Well, there are also city-destroying magma monster in 3e to compare notes. A statement of one former developer, GCG, indicated that the Exalted are supposed to grow to meet challenges if plunked down in other settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X