Houserules for Artifacts and Resonance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
    Siddies and Abyssals don't have that many mechanical hurdles that I know of, if anything they're doing pretty great; both get Celestial Sorcery, one gets Void Necromancy, both have dope Artifacts ready for them in Arms, both get Mastery and access to SMA and one of them has SMA Mastery-like benefits.
    Well, they don't have books, that seems kind of an issue.

But if you're happy with them, great. Sounds like you're happy with Lunars too.

For DBs, Heirloom is a bonus for Dynasts, it's not a penalty for Outcastes. You buy the first charm, like you would for most Artefacts.
    (And... maybe you can claim your Outcaste is descended from a certain dynasty on their great-grandma's side)

But I will agree with you that the artefacts in WFHW aren't that exciting. I mean, I guess that's subjective, but I didn't find them very exciting for the most part. Some I kind of liked. But the ones in Arms and Lunars were better.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 06-15-2019, 03:49 PM.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Some Artifacts lend themselves better to this kind of translation than others. Gnomon is VERY difficult to translate to other materials, though you could make a case for Moonsilver or Orichalcum
      "Not-Gnomon was forged by the architect of the Usurpation to represent the covenant between the Sidreals as the agents of heaven and the Terrestrials who would inherit Creation.

It is said that a borough of the purest green jade, harvested from the Elemental Pole of Wood was grafted onto one of the sacred Peach Trees of Immortality in the Heavenly City. The tree was faithfully watered with Perfected Water for seven nights until viens of blue and black jade appeared in the borough. The limb was then ritually burned with the Flames of Kesiah and quenched in powdered earth from mount Meru until veins of white and red jade appeared. When this artifical limb finally bore fruit, it was severed from the tree by Chejop Kejak. Such was the Sidreal's understanding of endings, that fate itself failed to realise the borough was no longer part of the tree.

The blue jade in this wrackstaff allows it's wielder to anticipate the intent of its wielders opponents, the red jade speeds the wielder's movements, the black jade eases the flow of martial arts and turns the tide of time itself whilst the white jade grants the perfect calm and clarity needed to seemingly immobilise the world around its wielder.

But it is the living Essence of Green Jade that grants Not-Gnomen its greatest power -- the ability to grow Peaches of Immortality.

Not-Gnomen is seeped in Heavenly Essence, and carries with it the enduring stamp of Chejop Kejak's Celestial Essence. Any Sidereal Exalted or god who works for the Bureau of Destiny believes the staff’s wielder is a legitimate agent of Heaven. This is equivalent to a Minor Tie of trust."
      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 06-15-2019, 04:19 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I'm fine with most of that explanation except the "tides of time". Time-control just isn't a jade thing, even if you metaphorically describe it as water-like.

Certainly growing a magic peach of life seems fine for green jade.

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I have been musing around an idea of a green jade staff that does give a sort of immortality and a longer life. Specifically the jade staff of the Dragon-Blooded in Dreams of the First Age who lived for over thousands of years from sheer enlightenment. That is see as a pretty dope legend to turn into an Artifact

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Well, they don't have books, that seems kind of an issue.

But if you're happy with them, great. Sounds like you're happy with Lunars too.

For DBs, Heirloom is a bonus for Dynasts, it's not a penalty for Outcastes. You buy the first charm, like you would for most Artefacts.
            (And... maybe you can claim your Outcaste is descended from a certain dynasty on their great-grandma's side)

But I will agree with you that the artefacts in WFHW aren't that exciting. I mean, I guess that's subjective, but I didn't find them very exciting for the most part. Some I kind of liked. But the ones in Arms and Lunars were better.

I am definitely happy with Lunars.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
              I have been musing around an idea of a green jade staff that does give a sort of immortality and a longer life. Specifically the jade staff of the Dragon-Blooded in Dreams of the First Age who lived for over thousands of years from sheer enlightenment. That is see as a pretty dope legend to turn into an Artifact

Interesting, but sounds like more of a simple benefit that would go better with a hearthstone perhaps - in fact 1e had one that would fit, the Gem of Immortality, if memory tricks me not.
              As an artifact, what kind of evocations' tree could spring from that as a starting point, or lead into that as its pinnacle effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Interesting, but sounds like more of a simple benefit that would go better with a hearthstone perhaps - in fact 1e had one that would fit, the Gem of Immortality, if memory tricks me not.
                As an artifact, what kind of evocations' tree could spring from that as a starting point, or lead into that as its pinnacle effect?
                I would have the effect as the capstone, with the other evocations building up to it. As for the other Evocations, I have some ideas. Mainly on those of self reflection and enlightenment. Building off from some concepts in Integrity and Survival

Comment

If a player in your gaming group really wants a resonant effect - or wants to buy off a dissonant effect - we usually do it as a repurchase, or a new Evocation that enhances the existing one. So far, it is a solution everyone is happy with, but in our group we also tend to value style over substance for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
                    If a player in your gaming group really wants a resonant effect - or wants to buy off a dissonant effect - we usually do it as a repurchase or a new Evocation that enhances the existing one. So far, it is a solution everyone is happy with, but in our group, we also tend to value style over substance for the most part.
                    But is really worth to purchase a whole evocation just to get rid of dissonance ou getting resonance? I mean, resonance is usually good, but rarely that good. Perhaps if those evocations did something more than just upping the resonance, but then we go to the custom evocation land again. For more mechanically-minded players, this would seem to be just the same as not allowing the option in the first place.

Comment

Solution: "Uh, guys, this is totally not Gnomon, this is its Blue Jade brother Chronos. Totally guys. Swear on me mum. Has all of Gnomon's Evocations and pretty much works the same way though."
                      Or learn Wood-aspected Evocations for Gnomon that grow some other kind of fruit. One that won't be as powerful, but one that can be grown far more often.

Can you survive one whole year between each Celestial Peach? Surviving a whole year would be easier with twelve Marvelous Peaches that heal injuries.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by pcontop View Post

But is really worth to purchase a whole evocation just to get rid of dissonance ou getting resonance? I mean, resonance is usually good, but rarely that good. Perhaps if those evocations did something more than just upping the resonance, but then we go to the custom evocation land again. For more mechanically-minded players, this would seem to be just the same as not allowing the option in the first place.
                        Agreed. It would not always be worth it. In the example I am thinking about the player with a Dragon-Blooded character owns Heartsbalm and wanted the resonant effect for Heart-Forged Aegis, extending the duration from one turn to one scene, which he had no hesitation with paying for a new Evocation to gain.

Some resonant effects I myself consider so minor I would never expend an Evocation slot to achieve it (the above example I would be OK with, though), but if the players are happy with it, who am I to say no.

Comment

Working...
                        X