Lunars of the First Age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunars of the First Age

Lately I have been thinking about the possibility of having some Lunars avoiding the dissolution Castes, either by refusing the act of the Silver Pact, getting lost in the Caul/Wyld or having their Exaltation captured along the Solar one during the Usurpation. After asking Vance in "Ask the Devs" and from what we know from Fangs at the Gates' preview, there are 3 facts about the subject-

a) None of the modern Castes has existed in the First Age.

b) The original Castes (that is, after their formation after the Divine Revolution) were those of a guardian, a guide, a world walker, a judge and a mystic.

c) There is no intention at expanding those Castes anymore than what is known.

That, of course, begs the question of what those five, original Castes actually were- the easiest possibility is that the original "phases of the moon" paradigm was still valid, but what we know now as Full Moon and No Moon Castes actually meant something else entirely/ mostly during the First Age. The more difficult possibility would be giving new names for all five Castes which would still make sense for the Chosen of the Moon. There is also the issue of developing the exact nature and abilities of the new Castes, and the question about whether there should be some other mechanical changes to either the charmset or some other mechanics (such as modified shapeshifting or something). Nothing too drastic, of course- they are stated, after all, to "never forsaken the monstrosity at their Essence's heart".

I must say that for now I'm kinda in a blank state about how should I treat the five Castes and what adaptation (if any) should be done to the Lunar Host of the First Age- so I would be happy if anyone would have any suggestions about the subject, as well as ideas for how to treat the five Castes, both mechanically or namewise.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

If you're keeping the castes based on the phase of the moon, I guess you could have...

Gibbous Moon, Half Moon, Crescent Moon, New Moon

or

Waxing Moon, Half Moon, Waning Moon, New Moon

But I don't know what else you could have for a Full Moon.

Solars, of course, have Castes based on the position on the sun, I guess you could do positions of the Moon, but it'd sound too similar to Abyssals.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

I will just be using the existing 2nd ed fluff.

Then don't post in a thread specifically about 3rd edition lore.
      Last edited by Lioness; 06-14-2019, 05:14 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
        The more difficult possibility would be giving new names for all five Castes which would still make sense for the Chosen of the Moon.
        I'd suggest using "moon names" for the 1st Age Lunar Castes - things like "Harvest Moon" and "Hunter's Moon". There aren't quite enough distinct names (that I can find offhand, anyway), so we'll have to come up with some new ones. I like "Hunter's Moon" for the world-walkers, and "Harvest Moon" for the guides (tying into using the moon and the calendar to steer proper behavior) or the mystics (agriculture is actually pretty closely tied to a lot of mystic traditions). For other names that could fit, how about "Pale Moon" for the world-walkers, "Hanging Moon" for the judges, and "Blood Moon" for the guardians?

Comment

Another "moon name" I just thought of, that might be good for judges or world-walkers: "Famine Moon", the last moon of late winter, when food supplies get low. Fits judges because harsh choices are often necessary in such times, and world-walkers because what better time to leave where you are than when all the food is gone?

Comment

What, no one is gonna bring up blue moons?

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
              What, no one is gonna bring up blue moons?

I thought about "blue moon" as one of the names, but I decided to avoid it for a couple of reasons. First, it's a color word, unlike the more action- or person-oriented names of the others. Second, while you could certainly do all color names, I worried that would overlap too heavily with the Sidereals.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post

b) The original Castes (that is, after their formation after the Divine Revolution) were those of a guardian, a guide, a world walker, a judge and a mystic.

Hmm, I don't really care for even this level of specificity being provided.

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

I'd suggest using "moon names" for the 1st Age Lunar Castes - things like "Harvest Moon" and "Hunter's Moon".
                So that's about a third of the Castes given to the full moon alone.

I think part of what is effective about Castes based on moon phases is that the moon having phases has been repeatedly stressed as the mythological basis for associating it with shapeshifting.

That and I find it compelling how the Castes of the Celestial Exalted have an elegant simplicity to them. It was one of the earliest motifs I derived from looking into the game on the wiki, and it left a strong impression.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Aren't the current Lunar Castes the third set that they've had? They first remade themselves after the Solar - Lunar civil war.

So there should be a whole extra set out there in no-longer existence too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
                    Aren't the current Lunar Castes the third set that they've had? They first remade themselves after the Solar - Lunar civil war.

Is this true? I remember talk of them being different from how they were in the Primordial War but I wasn't sure it was literal altering of Castes.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Doesn't that simply refer to the forging of the Solar/Lunar Bond?

Comment

The Lunars did create their own Castes when they decided to co-opt with Solars yeah, but I don't think they had more Castes before it. Rather from how it was described it seems like all Lunars before the First Age was Casteless, their natural state. They probably weren't in the right mind to even think of giving themselves Castes, with a world ending war going on. It was only after peace styled they tried to figure out ways to set them down. I think it important to now that Castes for Lunars is a Lunar invention, unlike Sol Luna never gave his Chosen Castes or informed them how to set it, she is far to much fickle for that.

Comment

Vance implied that the default Lunar state is Casteless, but note that this doesn't have to be the case. It could be there was just another set of Castes suitable to the War of the Gods and the interrum before the war between the Solars and Lunars (Twilight War? Eclipse War? Electrum War? Needs a fancy name I say.)

As a note, there's a thread on this topic where there were some ideas bandied about. It might be a good start of things if anything. Especially since I think thinking of something where no Castes being quite isomorphic witht he Full Moon and No Moon is a nice exercise, and helps to distinguish the modern Castes from the defunct ones.

And stuff.
                          My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

There's a name for each moon in a year.

Wolf Moon
                            Snow moon
                            Worm Moon
                            Pink moon
                            Strawberry moon
                            Buck moon
                            sturgeon moon
                            Harvest moon (sometimes September was Full corn moon instead)
                            Hunters moon (sometimes October was harvest moon instead)
                            Beaver moon
                            Cold moon

and a full lunar eclipse is a blood moon

I'm pretty sure one of the summer ones was also know as the honey moon which is where we get that term from.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                              Vance implied that the default Lunar state is Casteless, but note that this doesn't have to be the case. It could be there was just another set of Castes suitable to the War of the Gods and the interrum before the war between the Solars and Lunars (Twilight War? Eclipse War? Electrum War? Needs a fancy name I say.)

As a note, there's a thread on this topic where there were some ideas bandied about. It might be a good start of things if anything. Especially since I think thinking of something where no Castes being quite isomorphic witht he Full Moon and No Moon is a nice exercise, and helps to distinguish the modern Castes from the defunct ones.
                              I think that the name is the "Sunstrife Wars" (at least, it is mentioned as one of the wars where the Lunars banded together, and the name does fit a Solar/Lunar conflict, IMO)

Also, thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X