Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creation Sinks what direction would a Circle of Survivors take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creation Sinks what direction would a Circle of Survivors take?

I've contemplated either a chronicle or a full blown shard taking place when Creation is destroyed, the hows and whys aren't so much the issue, maybe the Exalted tore it apart, or the Yozis were released, or the Sword of Creation Broke the World, or the returned Host of Prodigal Primordials smote the Sun and Moon from the sky and sink Creations smoking ruin into the waves of Chaos.

But what direction would a player circle take? Lets say they manage to assemble an arch and salvage a few hundred Mortals and animals. What do they do? Try to find more survivors? Create more people with Sorcerer and Wyld Cauldron charms? Do they try to rebuild Creation upon its Grave? Or do they try to find another World? Do they Explore?

Unless you can start expanding the population people will probably get pretty inbred pretty quick.

Would this be more interesting starting the game with folks Exalting upon surviving the Apocalypse or maybe right before it? Or what about starting a long term game and having a few months or even a year or more in the setting but with the idea that the Storyteller is secretly going to end the world. So maybe then the Circle is more free to decide how they handle it, whether they try to save mortals or just concentrate on procuring a quick and potent vessel to travel with.

Do they look for Zen-Mu, Gnosis, the Far Shores, Autocthon, or possibly go to the Underworld and prevent it from sinking into Oblivion?

If the World Ends is it worth it chaining the Yozis? If you free some you could harness them to help create a new world. Or at the very least maybe take some of their useful demons to help. Neomah could be useful in repopulating, maybe making a bunch of unborn fetuses in Jars in stasis for when they are ready with a brave new world.

I feel there are too many directions you can go in this type of game, and it very much depends on the Circle. It would make a mixed Circle even more poignant. As a Dragonblood could be very useful in helping to populate a brave new world.

It is a time for great deeds!

Oho, interesting idea!

So, canonically of course, we all know that the Second Age ends in a giant flood, and when it dies down you've got some dudes on an ark (possibly multiple) but they forgot all the dinosaurs, etc.
    And the 10,000 Dragonblood are still around (but they'll be corrupted later). As is the Ebon Dragon (embodiment of Yin), Helios and Luna, Autocthon, Gaia...
    And of course, in the Middle East, you've got those 13 3rd gen vampires who'll start spawning more (not sure where they came from, but presumably it has something to do with Abyssals).
    And the Underworld's still got Stygia, Deathlords, etc.

Or possibly alternately, the Veil came down and you've got the early Garou and other Changing Breeds...

Or possibly consensus has changed, and there's just Africa and the Middle East still around with survivors... but I think later editions changed it to the other continents always existing.

I think in Demon: the Fallen, these are all simultaneously true, and also the world has been round for 4.5 billion years. I didn't really like Demon that much though.

(Hmmm... if 1st and 2nd ed are pre- Old World of Darkness, is 3rd ed pre-NWoD or pre-V20?)

But there's a lot of ways you could go.

Or what about starting a long term game and having a few months or even a year or more in the setting but with the idea that the Storyteller is secretly going to end the world.
    Secretly? Our ST sent a Zenith prophet to tell us the Gods have warned her they're going to destroy the entire world with floods, fire, earthquakes, and the earth being whipped up into dust, and she needs to take a group of righteous teens to an underground chamber where they'll wait out the destruction and then repopulate the new Earth.

Who we all promptly ignored, because no character could believe the Gods were going to destroy Creation.

Possibly it's a metaphor for Global Warming?

I feel there are too many directions you can go in this type of game, and it very much depends on the Circle.
    Yes, but it also depends on the circumstances of the world's destruction. What's left? Is Autocthon sucked in too? What about Yu-Shan and Malfeas?

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Yeah Holden's idea was the Exalted Setting probably ended around 50k years ago as that is how far back things like Australian legends and cave painting indicate Dragonblooded exist.

But in most situations I am going to guess Auto is still around if you can find him. Heaven is probably still around, but maybe the Gods are dead or in disarray. And Malfeas is probably around so what are they going to do if they outlive Creation? Is there even a point in putting them in Prison if Creation is smote?

Comment

Aren’t Yu Shan and malfeas kinda layered on top of creation in a way so If creation gets destroyed it would ripple across those two as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post
          Aren’t Yu Shan and malfeas kinda layered on top of creation in a way so If creation gets destroyed it would ripple across those two as well ?
          We are not given any Hard rules for that, and I don't see it as a given. Yu-Shan is basically a Spirit Sanctum reflection of the Blessed Isle and it is separated by an infinite sea. And Malfeas is separated by an infinite desert. And I seem to recall mention that Malfeas would be screwed if Creation ended because their prison only has crack into Creation and if that went away they are locked in, unless you know they smuggle themselves into Autochthon, as Ebon Dragon was able to touch upon the Nightmares of the Dreaming Auto.

Comment

Considering the Primordials originated outside any ordered framework like Creation and survived leaving behind their previous prototype, I would assume Malfeas would go on more or less as usual were the current version destroyed. I'm less confident about Yu Shan, but definitely wouldn't take it as a given that it would be destroyed. Even the Underworld might survive; I can see the poetry of it continuing as a ghost of the realm it was a reflection of.

Comment

Oh just got to thinking, what if the Underworld had a major expansion after a successful apocalypse! Like it could double or more in size. Especially with the 3rd ed methodology of the Underworld being like the World of Darkness Underworld so Islands amidst a sunless sea.

Comment

I actually ran an apocalypse as my groups transition from 2e to 3e and it was very well received. A very epic and dramatic intro like that really helps to engage the players and add so weight to what they must do going forward. Let the players put forth their last bit of effort and still fail to save Creation.

As to what to do is really about the story you want to do, but a post-apocalyptic scenario really lends itself to sandbox gameplay. Different characters absolutely will have different approaches to rebuilding what remains.

If Creation is just gone then Wyldshaping allows them to build a safe haven, likely after suffering the consequences of living in the Wyld. In this scenario the Underworld wouldn't exist anymore either because it only exists as a reflection of Creation. No Creation, no underworld. Yu-Shan should be fine unless something goes out of it's way to destroy it. Yu-Shan exists Elsewhere, so basically Yu-Shan ends up in a situation like Autochthon, isolated in Elsewhere.

Other scenarios exist too though. In the case that Creation is smashed and cast into the sea you basically just expand the West a whole bunch and develop lots of aquatic mutations. There are actually some D&D and Pathfinder setting in a total water world that might be worth looking at.

Comment

Here's an idea: build your arc so that it can expand into a new world once you find a suitable patch of wyld

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    Yeah Holden's idea was the Exalted Setting probably ended around 50k years ago as that is how far back things like Australian legends and cave painting indicate Dragonblooded exist.

But in most situations I am going to guess Auto is still around if you can find him. Heaven is probably still around, but maybe the Gods are dead or in disarray. And Malfeas is probably around so what are they going to do if they outlive Creation? Is there even a point in putting them in Prison if Creation is smote?
                    Nah, the 3rd Age began in about 4000BC. The 4th Age is about 400BC I think, and the 5th Age is I think 1700s. I'd have to check Kindred of the East though.

My characters:
                    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Nah, the 3rd Age began in about 4000BC. The 4th Age is about 400BC I think, and the 5th Age is I think 1700s. I'd have to check Kindred of the East though.
                      Those aren't the same thing. Like going by the Kindred of the East 1-2 second age covers the big bang and the evolution of humanity. 2nd age of Man isn't the 2nd age of the Wan Gui. In fact 6th age is the apocalypse and that probably the Usurpation leading to Contagion Balorian Crusade.

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                        I actually ran an apocalypse as my groups transition from 2e to 3e and it was very well received. A very epic and dramatic intro like that really helps to engage the players and add so weight to what they must do going forward. Let the players put forth their last bit of effort and still fail to save Creation.

As to what to do is really about the story you want to do, but a post-apocalyptic scenario really lends itself to sandbox gameplay. Different characters absolutely will have different approaches to rebuilding what remains.

If Creation is just gone then Wyldshaping allows them to build a safe haven, likely after suffering the consequences of living in the Wyld. In this scenario the Underworld wouldn't exist anymore either because it only exists as a reflection of Creation. No Creation, no underworld. Yu-Shan should be fine unless something goes out of it's way to destroy it. Yu-Shan exists Elsewhere, so basically Yu-Shan ends up in a situation like Autochthon, isolated in Elsewhere.

Other scenarios exist too though. In the case that Creation is smashed and cast into the sea you basically just expand the West a whole bunch and develop lots of aquatic mutations. There are actually some D&D and Pathfinder setting in a total water world that might be worth looking at.
                        Well that's more 1st and 2nd ed Underworld, where it is a reflection of Creation, but 3rd ed its fragments of Creations Memory and death.

And Vamp D that would be a huuuge arc! Are we just porting over the Titan Class Vessels from 2nd ed again? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          Those aren't the same thing. Like going by the Kindred of the East 1-2 second age covers the big bang and the evolution of humanity. 2nd age of Man isn't the 2nd age of the Wan Gui. In fact 6th age is the apocalypse and that probably the Usurpation leading to Contagion Balorian Crusade.
                          Do not believe what the scientists tell you. The natural history we know is a lie, a falsehood sold to us by wicked old men who would make the world a dull gray prison and protect us from the dangers inherent to freedom. They would have you believe our planet to be a lonely starship, hurtling through the void of space, barren of magic and in need of a stern hand upon the rudder.
                          Close your mind to their deception. The time before our time was not a time of senseless natural struggle and reptilian rage, but a time of myth and sorcery. It was a time of legend, when heroes walked Creation and wielded the very power of the gods. It was a time before the world was bent, a time before the magic of Creation lessened, a time before the souls of men became the stunted, withered things they are today.

This is the story of that time.

THIS IS THE STORY OF THE EXALTED.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post

Very interesting.

With Creation destroyed in the transition, what did you do for the setting of your 3rd edition game?

My characters:

Comment

But but it doesn't make sense to say the 2nd age of man is the same as the 2nd age of Existence... because then what would the primordial age before the 1st age be? The only thing they really have in common is the numbers. The Time of Tumult is more like the 3rd age from Middle Kingdom Reckoning... Don't just look at the numbers go back and check out the descriptions of each age...

Comment

Working...
                              X