No announcement yet.

Should I run 1st or 3rd edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people have already brought up ac lot of points I'd make, but figure I'll throw in my two cents.

I've played and ran a lot of Exalted across all three editions. In my experience, from a mechanical standpoint 3rd is the most FUN to play and while initially it's systems are intimidating they all integrate FAR better and more fluidly than either 1st or 2nd. Setting wise, 3rd takes a stance almost perfectly between the the vagueness of 1st and over specification of 2nd. New setting additions also add a ton of fun flavor not present in its predecessors.
    Been playing this game for eighteen years and I'm fully on the 3rd edition best edition band wagon.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

First Edition might have a nice backstory and feel, but the mechanics were so broken that the first group I played Exalted with decided never to play it again.
      Third Edition mechanics, although hard to decipher at times, actually run smoother and play better than the older systems.
      Don't let the lack of books color your judgement, not all the books were out when I played both 1st and 2nd editions of Exalted, and homebrews worked out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
        I've played and ran a lot of Exalted across all three editions. In my experience, from a mechanical standpoint 3rd is the most FUN to play and while initially it's systems are intimidating they all integrate FAR better and more fluidly than either 1st or 2nd.
        I wouldn't say this about absolutely everything in it (some of my players have found the Craft system irritating), but I'll certainly that for combat this is very much the case.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

I wouldn't say this about absolutely everything in it (some of my players have found the Craft system irritating), but I'll certainly that for combat this is very much the case.
          That's completely fair. I can only speak to my personal opinions and group. The crafter in my group has very much enjoyed the new system but YMMV.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

It has interesting ideas, and so I want to like it, but in practice it's been either frustrating or a giant xp sink.

Whereas I generally enjoy 3rd ed Exalted combat, and never have the "oh no, someone's making five attacks, might as well read a book for 20 minutes and then find out someone took 1 damage" thing that often seemed to happen in 2nd ed. I'd say it's harder to run than, say, DnD combat, but also more fun.

The social system is a bit less radical than it looks, compared to 2nd ed, and it has led to some arguing, etc, but it does generally lead to people making social influence attempts that, well, make sense for the most part. I think it's good.

Sorcery is generally good, though sometimes workings can be a little bit of a hassle to adjudicate, and it's perhaps a little overpowered (less so than 2nd ed though), but it's led to a lot of cool stuff.

The Lore rules for Introducing a Fact we very rarely use, but when we do I've been happy with it.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              The Lore rules for Introducing a Fact we very rarely use, but when we do I've been happy with it.
              I must say Lore was the surprise for me. On my first campaign I was totally not open for the Challenge a Fact rules and we basically didn't use them at all.

On my second campaign, we tried to use it respecting the intents of the rules, and oh boy did we have fun. Discovering through a simple state a fact that some parent of a PC was kidnapped because they wanted blood from his family for some ritual, and then have every player realizing "But if that's the case, it means there is another connection" two of three times, to finally conclude that the most racist and arrogant of the characters was actually a descendant of one of his sworn ennemies was such a blast ! This and the Eclipse leader of the group stating Moïse style : "Through meditation and dreams about the past of our people, I have discovered the location of our sacred and long lost birthplace as a kind, let's conquer it !" felt so much Solar I couldn't help loving it.

Comment

These days I doubt I will ever play Exalted by the rules again. One of my friends have made his own hack of the rules for an indie game (Lady Blackbird) and applied it to the Exalted setting and we just do that now. We get all the flavor of Exalted without having to deal with first edition ("Irresistable Salesman Spirit lets me do what?"), second edition (a game with as much errata as actual rules, it felt like), or third edition (I tried making a character, but I just couldn't be bothered).

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jutlander View Post
                  (I tried making a character, but I just couldn't be bothered).
                  Why not?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I heart 3e.

Freelancer | Content Creator
                    Twitter | Youtube | Patreon

Comment

Working...
                    X