No announcement yet.

At the Throne of Chaos: Nocturnal 3e [Brainstorming/Thoughts]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be cautious of having a codified multiverse without getting more of a feel for Getimians.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
      I'd be cautious of having a codified multiverse without getting more of a feel for Getimians.
      yeah, that makes sense- after all, each Getimian is originated from an alternative timeline, if not outright containing it.

I actually thought about leaving the details for how such worldines form a mystery, and simply have places in the Firmament which allow access to them and be satisfied with that. I assume that some people may want a more in-depth look in those, but my plan was that while the Nocturnals know where to find those "convergence spots" and whole concepts around them, in the end, they don't really understand them. Still, better to wait for Getimians before we enter too deep into that subject.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

So while we work conceptually on the history section, let's talk about the Exaltation process-

We first need to consider the moment of Exaltation. Currently, we have three examples for such moments, and a few details about others. Each Exaltation seems to have some kind of a trend, even though it is not always consistent- Solar Exaltation usually ignites in righteous people, Luna usually choose among the ranks of survivors and potential heroes, the blood of the Dragons is needed to spark their elemental images, but is not guarantee. Sidereal Exaltation is fated, Abyssal Exaltation is a choice, Liminal Exaltation is made.. there are many trends about how and why someone would Exalt, but there are always exceptions. Sometimes, the patron visits the newly Chosen. In others, they stay mute, aloof or uncaring. All according to the principles and themes of the Exaltation.

In 2e, the Nocturnal Exaltation is based around those which had thwart fates. As 3e refuse to set harsh rules and gives only trends, we can play with it to define that Nocturnals are usually chosen from those which had a possibility in their life- it usually comes with a strong desire which seems to never be fulfilled. An impossible love, impossible hate- the future Nocturnal wish, yearns, needs to break out of the circumstances they live in, and find a way out. They break out from starry strings, and dive deep into the abyss which lurks between them. A territory is endless possibilities.

Nox, after all, is an entity of two main aspects- possibility, and desire. Usually, such traits show up in times of dire stress or despair- but not always. Nocturnal Exaltation may bless anyone who wants something more than life itself. Even the riches of Dynasts discover that money can't but everything, and even the happiest person may have regrets. Not every wish goes fulfilled, however- and the strength of the desire does not necessarily dictates the chances for Exaltation. An ages long unrequited love may go unnoticed by the eyes of the Midnight King, but a short moment of envy when you discover your old friend married your childhood crush could open the world for a new possibility. Nox is a jester, after all- and his nature is to defy expectation.

Similarly to their Sidereal cousins, the Nocturnal Exaltation is somewhat a Mystery Play- even if a bit more theatrical than the path of omens the former walk. Nocturnal Exaltation is not a short moment of spiritual awakening- it is a process, even though that the time for it is far from constant. Sometimes, the future Nocturnals seems to be raving like a madman for days or weeks, talking to people only they can see and interact with invisible objects and entities. Sometimes, it is as short as an heartbeat- but in the mind of the Chosen, whole life has passed. Time perception twists and turns as the Play goes on, presenting a vision only the Nocturnal could see. During the Exaltation, the would be Nocturnal follows a strange path- a way to the world where their desire is fulfilled. It is not an alternative world- it does not promise to change the past, but it does shows them the future. I shows them a path- not the only path, but one possible path- where their passion could be fulfilled. The path is personal one- and a dangerous one. Nox is a trickster god- and those who get lost in their heart may never find the way back.

Not all Nocturnals find what they wish for in the end of the path- sometimes, they willingly let go of their desire, understanding that it is only one single possibility the future has to offer. Sometimes, they discover that what they wished for is not what they wanted, and that they may have the tools to discover their true passion, their true desire. And sometimes, the Nocturnals indeed discover the way for their true bliss, the path they need to walk to fulfill their greatest wish. Those Nocturnals are the least fortunate (at least, among those who manage to find the way out)- for when they open their eyes, they discover that all that they saw was merely a dream, an illusion, a whisper of a mad god in the depths of their mind, and that the world they live in is just as corrupted and fallen as it always been. But it could be different. There is another possibility.

The mad god whispers- and his Chosen listens.

The question is, in that case, where is Nox? Unlike the shining Sun or the changing Luna, Nox does not reveal himself in the Mystery Play- but he is there. He is everywhere. Every person you talk with, with object you touch, every scent you smell or song you hear- it's Nox. Sometimes, those marked by the Empyrean have a greater interaction with the God of Night, hearing his voice whispering to them, guiding them, leading them to their path. But those whispers are just as misguiding as helping- for Nox does not take sides, and does not choose favorites. Everyone are equal before the Midnight King, the Indigo Jester gives all a fair chance. However, there is at least one sign of contact between the Onyx Youth and his Chosen- when the Mystery Play reach its conclusion, who the Nocturnal could have been turns to look at who the Nocturnal is. Rarely they pronounce a sentence, a word- again, especially if the Chosen is among the Empyreans or, sometimes, the Nebulas. Usually, they just laugh in their face.

That's when the Play is over- but the real show just begins.

Cloaked with dark majesty, the Nocturnals are marked by six signs, Caste Marks which corresponds to the strange and unexplained phenomena which lurks between the stars- Novas, Comets and Auroras are the illuminating phenomena, Empyrean, Nebula and Singularity are the dark ones. It should be noted that those names may be changed in the future, such as if some of the new Exalts would correspond to phenomena such as auroras or comets. Meanwhile, we'll retain those Caste names- as well as their roles. Troubadours, Gladiators, Ambassadors, Jesters, Magicians and Philosophers. Those roles define them and their relationships with their chosen masters- how they serve, and how they'll achieve their dream while serving.

Once the cold flames of Exaltation cease, the Nocturnal may discover themselves in a different body- not a common occurrence, but it is possible that while walking their own Mystery Play they discovered a body which better fits their desire. The Renewal takes place as Nox's blessing, yet unlike the changing nature of the Lunar Exaltation the change is not reversible, and does not necessarily reflects what the Nocturnal sees as "ideal"- with the future of countless Renewals, alternative identities and potential selves waiting, the current identity is the ones which fits the best for the desire the Nocturnal wish to fulfill. The future is malleable, but once a choice is decided, it should be committed to the very end.

Like all Exalts, the Nocturnals feel the rush of Essence Fever, driving them into greatness- but unlike others, the Nocturnals discover that their fire is quenched, bound, tamed. Thousand years old loyalty pledge has left its mark upon the Essence of the Nocturnals, and as the dying words of the fallen titans fell upon their murderers, it turned the words of the Nocturnals into chains. They are still driven to do great and terrible things- but all in the name of others, all in the name of those they hold dear, all in the name of their love and hate. Their passion binds them, and the stronger the desire the stronger the binds become. They find themselves compelled to serve, to support, to set the stage for their heroes to shine while they stand in the darkness and watch as they grant the future others wish for. Yet their service is not without a price- words bound their loyalty, and words hold sway upon them, but those are the words alone. Be careful what you wish from a Nocturnal servant- they may very well grant it to you more than you beyond you could have ever imagined.

Trickery and servitude clash among the Harlequins- the future they wish vs the one their patrons wish, their desires against themselves, twisting the words of those whom they love and hate in order to find freedom inside them. The Heralds, however, are different. Those who fought together with the ancients have still suffered their wrath- for the dying curse could not distinguish between a friend and a foe. Or perhaps, it did- and the madness of the Heralds is all natural to their chaotic visions. Who knows? Still, the Heralds find their Essence burning strongly, its chill flames itch and burn and devour all which should have bound them to the world. Freedom, self indulgence, desire- the Herald is the center of their own universe, and all of the world's light is contained within their dark cloaks. The passions of the Heralds leads them to call upon the future only they can see- and those which try to stop that future should have no place in it.

Bound or free, all Nocturnals share a core trait- the ability to call upon the darkness and conjure miracles into the world. Fluctuations twist and turn the threads of fate as they draw upon a possibility which does not yet exist, but could be. Potential futures are born from the yearning minds of the Night's Chosen, and the darkness shapes the make their wishes true. Yet each of those Fluctuations is merely a temporary miracle- it does not fulfill the future, it simply makes one such possibility true enough, that even the world itself forgets it is just a possibility. Patrons of the Harlequins may demand impossible demands from the Nocturnals- and the Night's Chosen would happily grant them their wishes in the form of a false and temporary world. No matter how harsh the situation is, the Nocturnals know that they can look into the night's sky and search after a different possibility- and when they make a wish upon the night, their wishes always, always come true, and the world would change to make their dreams fulfilled.

Anyway, that's what I have in mind. Feel free to criticize and say what you think about it :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

I like it. One thing about the trigger for Exaltation though - I figure what the person wants more than life should be something that's actually possible to achieve. After all, if what they want is impossible it would be a bit hard to show them a possible future where it actually happens. Plus this would avoid the situation where someone who wants to resurrect the dead more than life would fulfill the criteria for both a Nocturnal and a Liminal Exaltation at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
            I like it. One thing about the trigger for Exaltation though - I figure what the person wants more than life should be something that's actually possible to achieve. After all, if what they want is impossible it would be a bit hard to show them a possible future where it actually happens. Plus this would avoid the situation where someone who wants to resurrect the dead more than life would fulfill the criteria for both a Nocturnal and a Liminal Exaltation at the same time.
            That was definitely my intention- hence why I said that it can only show a future, not change the past. I forgot that the other "Big No" together with time travel is reviving the dead. So yeah, the Exaltation would show a possibility where the desire which drew Nox's attention is granted- but the Nocturnal may discover that what is possible may not be what they wanted.

So yeah, the future has to be possible.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

it looks pretty fine to me. For the Castes I would think it would be okay to keep them all. Of the patrons unknown. The only ones I can see maybe being trouble is Getimian's and Hearteaters. Hearteaters anima being to suspiciously to much like an Aurora. But I think thats fine, they are optional. Being as canon as Nocturnals. If you would want to include both in a game, then it would be simple enough to say that their is no Aurora Caste and then just round it out with Singularity replacing them. If not then you can include them both. I think that while Nocturnals should be informed of the optionals design-wise their is no need to acknowledge them unless you want to in individual games. So the only worry is Getimians, since we have no idea what their patron is like

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                it looks pretty fine to me. For the Castes I would think it would be okay to keep them all. Of the patrons unknown. The only ones I can see maybe being trouble is Getimian's and Hearteaters. Hearteaters anima being to suspiciously to much like an Aurora. But I think thats fine, they are optional. Being as canon as Nocturnals. If you would want to include both in a game, then it would be simple enough to say that their is no Aurora Caste and then just round it out with Singularity replacing them. If not then you can include them both. I think that while Nocturnals should be informed of the optionals design-wise their is no need to acknowledge them unless you want to in individual games. So the only worry is Getimians, since we have no idea what their patron is like
                Yeah, we will be a lot smarter after we'll get the Storyteller's Companion and Exigents, but meanwhile, we'll work with what we have..

I'll soon make a Google Drive so we could work on each chapter individually, and I'll put what we have for the first chapter in there. My tendency for now it developing the project chapter after chapter, while keep brainstorming upon the future ones in the process. If someone else has a different approach to the development process, or is inspired to work on some other chapter, I'm open for it.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

So I've finished writing the first draft for the history section. It got a bit longer than a page and a half, so we may need to edit it a bit to reduce the wordcount (I think that 5 pages is the budget for the first chapter, and while we don't have to follow the same rigid frame as the canon books, have such limitations would help us to focus on the subject, and I do have the tendency to use flowery language for no real reason :P).

Anyway, you can find it here-
                  View link
                  comment link

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                  X