​Lunars and Martial arts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Lunars and Martial arts

So initially there was a great deal of worry if Lunars would be over powered when it comes to martial arts since their charms and martial arts are usable together.

We have had a bit, have people had a chance to see how this works in an actual game yet?

Lunars can throw at some very powerful attacks with martial arts yeah, some of which Is very scary. A bad point I saw from it that it very much depletes their mote pool very quickly, spending it on both the martial arts and attribute charms for the crazy effects

Comment

I was actually going to put up a thread for the Lunar Martial Artists and the best combos of Native charms and Martial Arts, and I was polling for suggestions on Discord:

So far I’ve got:
      - Shape Stealing + Black Claw
      - Tiger Style/White Reaper + Max Str DBT
      - Behemoth's Footprint Thread with your pick of MA Supplemental Decisive charms that weren't designed to work on an attack hitting everyone within medium range, with Fatal Stroke Flash standing out
      - Lunar Crane-Style Sorcerer with Shadow-Hands Invocation + Natural Shield & Extra Arms mutations can flurry Shape Sorcery with Full Defense with no penalties for 2m/round

Watch this space!

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
        Lunars can throw at some very powerful attacks with martial arts yeah, some of which Is very scary. A bad point I saw from it that it very much depletes their mote pool very quickly, spending it on both the martial arts and attribute charms for the crazy effects
        I kinda figured that would be a balancing point. Yeah, a Lunar that combines MA and their native Charms is gonna be crazy, but they'll tap out of Motes fairly quickly

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I'm playing a snake-totem Lunar with all of Snake Style. So far, it seems good, but no more than taking a bunch more native charms. I think there's probably better builds. But I haven't actually used it much, because we haven't done much combat, I've only played about 5 games and I've only been in one real fight, where 3 of us ganged up on an Eclipse brawler, which wasn't that hard.
          I think one issue is that, as my concept is snake-totem kung-fu doctor, I've got all the poison charms, but they don't particularly combo well with snake. You can't use Mamba-and-Cobra Mastery to buff the pinnacle poison of Snake, or unleash it with Poison Blood. You can't use Snake as a snake. So I find I'm either using Snake's best charms, or the poison tree, not both, on an attack.
          Whereas I think having Snake and just a bunch of Dex and Strength charms would work better (I have some, but not loads).
          I've heard good things about Snake's clash charm and the Dex charms I have though, I'll have to try it out.

Oh, and last thing, people said it's expensive, I'd say it is. But combining Strength and Martial arts can do enormous Withering damage, so I think it's worth it.

If I get in any more dangerous fights I'll let you know how it goes.
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 06-17-2019, 02:27 AM.

My characters:
          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

My Lunar martial artist is a disgraced former bodyguard raised from birth for the role, and as such, I gave him Crane Style and Mantis, and would've thrown in some White Reaper too if I'd had room for it.

Haven't played him yet though. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

My group is starting a new game to give me a chance to play. We are playing a mix of Solars and Lunars. My boyfriend made a Lunar with Steel Devil Style, and combined with the Dexterity excellency alone its looks like it going to be very interesting. I will keep everyone posted and update when we get in our first real fight.
              Last edited by Keichiokami; 06-17-2019, 04:11 AM. Reason: grammar

May you live in interesting times...

Storyteller of Sun Forged Oath

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                My Lunar martial artist is a disgraced former bodyguard raised from birth for the role, and as such, I gave him Crane Style and Mantis, and would've thrown in some White Reaper too if I'd had room for it.

Haven't played him yet though. We'll see how it goes.
                Besides excellencies, have you taken other Lunar combat charms?

My characters:
                Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  Besides excellencies, have you taken other Lunar combat charms?
                  In Strength and Stamina, yes. I want to eventually get the tiger paw swatting Charm, so that my parries drive enemies into the dirt ten yards away.

Comment

Ah yeah, there's some really cool Strength charms.

I made my Lunar before Lunars actually came out (my Solar died, and I knew Lunars would be out within a couple of months, so...), there was just martial arts and the preview charms. Which had a lot of poison and medicine, so I thought "aha, I had a concept for a snake-totem kung-fu doctor, I'll play that", and so for four sessions I played her with just stats, Snake Style, excellencies, and some basic medicine charms.
                    Which was fine, but I think were I to make a Full Moon now, I'd have done a build with lots of Strength charms, I think they're lots of fun, and also pretty good.

(Not as fun as shooting people with your warplock pistol and turning them into rat-men or actual rats, of course. But I think Wyrdflame probably works better as the weapon of a No Moon mystic than as the primary combat tool of a Full Moon.)

My characters:

Comment

Unpopular opinion: I always felt Lunars should have been considered to have the potential to be grand Martial Artists competitively with the Sidereals and Solars but in a different way. But even when we give them this option the books don't like to admit it, like wink nod don't acknowledge it because it wasn't puffed up in 1st ed.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Eh... I'm not bothered that much by it. As long as it's in a different way.

Solars having the most straightforward skill, Lunars combining their martial art skills (good, but not quite as good as Solars) with simple raw speed and strength (which may end up them with being equal to Solars), and Sidereals using bizarre esoteric arts and secret techniques forbidden and unknown to most, is good by me.

It makes running the actual game easiest.

I mean, obviously we're talking about a set of, say, Essence 4 characters or whatever. Comparable.

Because in canon, Solars are by far the worst martial artists out of Lunars, Sidereals... and possibly Abyssals and Infernals (but not much worse than Abyssals and Infernals, just a bit).
                        That's why they need to find a wise old Sidereal or Lunar master to teach them.

My characters:

Comment

Working...
                        X