Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crane's Wing and Tiger's Claw: Prototype00 muses about Lunar Martial Artists in 3e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
    Has the old Moonsilver Tattoo armour vanished? That used to be a work around for Lunar Martial artists (Or misread and abused by groups I saw)
    Man, I remember that. Yep, gone. Moonsilver tattoos are not artifacts and don’t have evocations by default (maybe it’ll make a reappearance in the companion?)

Comment

Dex Defense (Ess 1)

Agile Beast Defense: Low Cost and if you maintain High Initiative, a great workhorse (costs less than an excellency) for boosting defense. You don't get all the bennies, the protean effect is stellar, but that doesn't stop this from being a good pick.

Bending Before The Storm: Onslaught reducer/negator (once again if your initiative is high enough). These are always essential parts of any Lunar's combat arsenal and is the only onslaught negator you are getting for this cheap. Near essential if you need an onslaught negator.

Ferocious Guardian Beast Stance: You know what Lunars are terribly good at? Defend Other. This combined with Lunar Soak tricks really makes them stellar bodyguards for their sometimes squishy golden mates.

Golden Tiger Stance: Turnlong Defense booster and onslaught negator. Cost initiative, otherwise it would be one of the best defenses they have at this level, but still good I feel.

Coiled Serpent Strikes: Ah, here is something intersting, a cheap (3m) Counterattack if the enemy misses her (so its an extra attack basically) that has to be decisive. Ironically its in defense, but I feel it is a really good offensive option. Enemies attacking a Lunar can't half ass it if they have this charm as it might just kill them dead.

Yes I did just give the entire Ess 1 collection of Dex Defense options my seal of approval for a Lunar Martial Artist. These are all great and if you are a Dex focused Lunar Martial Artist, taking them all is something you won't regret.

Sta Defense (Ess 1)

Impenetrable Beast Armor: I said it once in a previous review and I'll say it again. Great charm. Mote Equivalency for soak effects and splitting a soak dicepool with a bonus Hardness effect based on Stamina is something that will never go out of style. Stellar.

Durant Quicksilver Adaptation: Lunar Soak is the best in the game. There I said it. Come at me. This charm cheats, and lets you be as mote efficient with your soak as demi-godly possible.

Steel Paw Style: The Hits keep on coming, this lets you use Stamina instead of Dex to calculate parry. If your Dex isn't a focus thanks to Deadly Claw Blow, this is more or less a required purchasse.

Den Warden Method: If you have at least 3 dex, then you can take both this and Ferocious Guardian Beast Stance, making anyone who stands behind you feel really safe indeed as you parry for them each turn and take no onslaught.

Unmoving Aurochs Defense: Once again its a cheatery activation (whenever you know the effect is going to be used, i.e. when it is declared and no takesies backsies rule is in effect) that just no sells all the movement effects of things like Solar Heaven Thunder Hammer and it is 100% effective defense against being thrown in a grapple. A great charm.

Y'know what, I'm going to do it again, Lunar Sta Ess 1, all the effects are good. If you build for them, you should take them all, nothing is meh.
      Last edited by prototype00; 06-30-2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Dex Offense (Ess 2)

Consumptive Worm Hungers: Ha! I’m actually quite a fan of this. Too bad it only benefits exactly one Martial Art (Righteous Devil), but the image of your bullet constantly spitting out poisonous bile into a wound is hilarious. Note: You don’t actually have to do damage with your Decisive to activate this, you just have to Hit.

Twin Fangs Gambit: Once again, a distract focused Charm. As said before, MAs don’t really go in for Distract gambits, and if anyone should benefit from them, its you, the Martial Artist.

Deadly Wolf-Pack Onslaught: The distract gambits continue, urgh and it’s a once/scene charm too?

Hunter’s Eye Precision: Its expensive, and Righteous Devil Form is arguably better if you can put the emotional whammy on people.

Birds-Fall-From-Flock Targeting: An expansion on Hunter’s Eye Precision where you get to keep enemies guessing (and spending motes on defensive charms) up to the last second on an aim action. Its neat, but niche.

Octopus and Spider Barrage : An old favorite makes a return here, and it’s as potent now as it was then. You just need some way to boost the decisive damage of this charm (Tiger Style Angry Predator Frenzy for example) for a Killer Finishing Move.

Unerring Fang Technique: Is an awesome workhorse charm. The trick here is to cheat out the smallest full Excellency you can, which would be 5 dice, for 5 dice + 1mote, you get a non-charm success (already worth more than the 1m entry price) and roll non charm dice for each 10!
        Last edited by prototype00; 07-01-2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I could be reading wrong, but don’t Ichneumon Scourge and Consumptive Worm Hungers explicitly supplement Needle Quill Tech, which doesn’t work with flame weapons? I don’t think they can be applied to Righteous Devil Style.

Comment

Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
            I could be reading wrong, but don’t Ichneumon Scourge and Consumptive Worm Hungers explicitly supplement Needle Quill Technique which doesn’t work with flame weapons? I don’t think they can be applied to Righteous Devil Style.
            I’d say you have a point except that Bombardier Spittle Alchemy ALSO supplements Needle Quill Technique. So you are technically using Needle Quill Technique for everything.

Comment

Which just means that Bombardier Spittle Alchemy is an essential charm to make the Needle Quill options feasible for Righteous Devil Martial Artists, otherwise there's not a problem

Comment

Dex Defense (Ess 2)

Ever Evolving Defense: Basically useless to Martial Artists as you won’t be shapeshifting into beast forms all that much.

Fleet Gazelle Exercise: This is so bad! 4m 1wp for +1 Evasion (not defense) and 1 init if you weathered everything without a hit. I guess if you really want to stack defense, but I would not want to use this charm.

Nimble Squirrel Evasion: Is interesting in that it punishes a missed Decisives and losing init (depending on 1s rolled) and all that, but at this point its 6m for 2 init… I’m not really convinced this is worth your time.

Foe Baiting Sidestep: Is kinda very situational – you move back and the enemy moves forwards, and if the enemy moves into a dangerous location that you were avoiding he gets one chance to not get hurt. This would need a better hook in combat for me to like it.

Gleaming Crescent Block: A cheap-ish upgrade to Coiled Serpent Strikes that you can activate after you see how many 1s the opponent rolled, I actually kind of like it because it then takes those 1s away from Successes on the opponent’s roll and adds them to your counterattack’s damage roll (equaling basically that many autosuccesses on the attack roll). A good charm in a sea of deeply situational stuff.

Sensing the Deadly Flow: Expensive because of the Willpower, but it’s an Onslaught Negator, makes Golden Tiger Defense and Bending Before the storm so much better/cheaper, and it lasts a scene so probably a must have.

Vigilant Mastiff Defense: If you are going the Defend Other Route, this is probably the last line of defense. The person you are defending is basically never going to be hit with this (but you are). For that specific application in combat, really good.

Note: The order these appear in seems random, thats because it is, I have a word document I'm updating, its all in order there, but here, I just post my thoughts as they come in. I'll probably link the final document when I'm done.
                Last edited by prototype00; 07-05-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=prototype00;n1322361

Fleet Gazelle Exercise: This is so bad! 4m 1wp for +1 Evasion (not defense) and 1 init if you weathered everything without a hit. I guess if you really want to stack defense, but I would not want to use this charm.[/QUOTE]

This seems a lot harsher than I would be. If you get attacked free times in a fight, this is breaking even compared to spending that much on boosting your evasion directly, and more it makes a profit. Characters who mostly parry don't want it, but for dodge-defending characters in a long fight it seems really good?

Comment

Originally posted by autXautY View Post

This seems a lot harsher than I would be. If you get attacked free times in a fight, this is breaking even compared to spending that much on boosting your evasion directly, and more it makes a profit. Characters who mostly parry don't want it, but for dodge-defending characters in a long fight it seems really good?
                    Yes, you are completely right, for whatever reason my eyes glazed over the Scenelong part. Its good for dodge based martial arts.
                    Last edited by prototype00; 07-05-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I have a minor beef with Foe baiting and nimble sidestep, namely that they’re not easy dips at Dex 4, but highly skilled defenders won’t really use them?

Like, the better your defenders are in EX3, theoretically, the less you’re opening yourself to Decisive attacks, which leaves it up to the ST to escalate attack pools or just have their NPCs job into Decisive attacks that aren’t doing any damage/succeeding on Gambit checks, and have less chance to hit than all the withering attacks that already aren’t hitting?

It’s just weird to me to make these really kind of minor effects only key off Decisives?

Comment

Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
                        I have a minor beef with Foe baiting and nimble sidestep, namely that they’re not easy dips at Dex 4, but highly skilled defenders won’t really use them?

Like, the better your defenders are in EX3, theoretically, the less you’re opening yourself to Decisive attacks, which leaves it up to the ST to escalate attack pools or just have their NPCs job into Decisive attacks that aren’t doing any damage/succeeding on Gambit checks, and have less chance to hit than all the withering attacks that already aren’t hitting?

It’s just weird to me to make these really kind of minor effects only key off Decisives?
                        Yeah, they seem for middle of the line non-hyperoptimal Lunars (maybe for someone who spread things around in Chargen), but unfortunately we aren’t those kinds of players and Exalted doesn’t reward that kind of math.
                        Last edited by prototype00; 07-07-2019, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X