Anima Levels - Exated 3ed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yukiartic View Post
    And Yeah Bonfire is like a Bonfire.... I don't know why I was thinking about a pilar of light when drawing that.
    I can see how one's mind would go there from the description of it projecting miles in the air.

Still:

Originally posted by Yukiartic

Awesome.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Hello Exalted Fans.

I'm Back with a new Anima Level Drawing. Now we have a Lunar!

An exalted with Cat tell. Her Iconic anima is like Streams of Liquid MoonSilver revolving her and the moon!

Burning Solar = Blazes Brightly
      Burning Lunar = Shines like an Argent Aura

Let me know if I got that right.
      Any toughts, comments and critic please fell free to speak your mind.

Cya _o/

If you like Alchemicals, please check out my DeviantArt Gallery!!
      - 5 Magic Materials BeamKlaves and Gyroscopic Chakrans ? OK
      - Autochthonia updated World Map? OK
      And many more! http://efq.deviantart.com/gallery/48131405/Alchemicals

Comment

See, I think your picture isn't precisely the way that the books describe the Lunar anima, but it's more like I would want it to look, so it's very pretty.

I like the realisation of the Tell being made obvious particularly. And it's nice to see somebody taking advantage of the expanded range of iconic banner options.

It looks very nice.

Can I ask if you'd ever consider doing these in colours for a wider variety of Castes? I think people often forget that each of the Celestial Castes come with different colours (it's not just the Sidereals), and that can make for some rather uniform artistic depictions and people not realising how varied their visual styles can be.

I've known of people that completely overlooked how the Twilight anima was supposed to come with deep blues, pinks and purples, in addition to the rich reddish-gold.

Unless this is an art format that makes that kind of colour mixing tricky?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I mean technically the tell would generally be the ears or the tail, not both, but it's cool. Gets the point across easily.

Comment

Hello Exalted Fans.

I'm Back with a new Anima Level Drawing. Now we have a Lunar!

An exalted with Cat tell. Her Iconic anima is like Streams of Liquid MoonSilver revolving her and the moon!

Burning Solar = Blazes Brightly
            Burning Lunar = Shines like an Argent Aura

Let me know if I got that right.
            Any toughts, comments and critic please fell free to speak your mind.

Cya _o/

It's brilliant. Glowing should be more of a silver-white aura than a blue fire though, and as Isator Levi says, each caste gets its own supplimentary colors.

I think that cat ears and tail is a valid Tell so long as it's not connected to more than one mutation. But Elfive couls be right about that.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              See, I think your picture isn't precisely the way that the books describe the Lunar anima, but it's more like I would want it to look, so it's very pretty.
              Please tell me how do you imagine the anima levels are, this art is not for me is for everyone who wants to learn about exalted =)

Can I ask if you'd ever consider doing these in colours for a wider variety of Castes? I think people often forget that each of the Celestial Castes come with different colours (it's not just theSidereals), and that can make for some rather uniform artistic depictions and people not realising how varied their visual styles can be. I've known of people that completely overlooked how the Twilight anima was supposed to come with deep blues, pinks and purples, in addition to the rich reddish-gold.
              I can´t promise anything but I will read and look for that. The basic idea of this project is to show a simple example of how Animas Work in Exalted. To show the basic difference of a Bonfire, what is a Argent aura and what is a Light Pillar (Dragon Blooded Bonfire Anima will be next) and so on.....

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
              I mean technically the tell would generally be the ears or the tail, not both, but it's cool. Gets the point across easily.
              Ohhh I will check that. I tough I could put any numbers of a tell of the Spirit Animal. Maybe I will just update and put only the Cat Ears =)

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
              It's brilliant. Glowing should be more of a silver-white aura than a blue fire though, and as Isator Levi says, each caste gets its own supplimentary colors.
              I think that cat ears and tail is a valid Tell so long as it's not connected to more than one mutation. But Elfive couls be right about that.
              Actually I was creating it Silver Grayish color toning, but it seemed like Gayscale Art. That looked so strange and not Epic at all. Then I remembered about the SIlver Pact tattos depicted in the exalted books, they all look light blue like neon blue so I just follow that color scheeme. But I will try for another round making it less blue =)

Thank you all for the feedback. I will draw all Exalted animas for 3ed =)

If you like Alchemicals, please check out my DeviantArt Gallery!!
              - 5 Magic Materials BeamKlaves and Gyroscopic Chakrans ? OK
              - Autochthonia updated World Map? OK
              And many more! http://efq.deviantart.com/gallery/48131405/Alchemicals

Comment

Ohh this is neat, waiting for the DB one

Comment

I don't think there's anything stopping you saying your tell is ears and a tail if you really want it to be, but the book says "an animal feature, like a leopard’s tail or a ram’s horns; a distinctive physical trait, like a blind eye or a prominent scar; a non-visual trait, like a pungent scent or a songbird-like voice; or a subtle supernatural display, like a shadow that moves independently." Like, generally it's one singular thing. Probably so it's easier to apply to multiple forms.

Comment

Please tell me how do you imagine the anima levels are, this art is not for me is for everyone who wants to learn about exalted =)
                    The books describe the Lunar anima as basically being fiery in the manner that the Solar one is, bit a different colour. That doesn't quite feel fitting to me, because the fire is an image more clearly of the sun than the moon; I would think of something more like a kind of fluidic or misty effect.

For comments on the colour, I don't think I've ever known a property that didn't visually represent a mystical form of light described as "silver" as something that glowed with a kind of bluish tinge.

The Tell is already something that is supposed to naturally hide itself and adapts to alternative shape wholesale, so I think that reading "an animal feature" in the strictest and most literal terms isn't really necessary. At least not in cases where it might make the look feel a bit more complete; cat ears and tail feels like a natural and unobtrusive match to me more than, I don't know, having more than one shark trait.

I don't think it's about ease of applying to multiple forms so much as encouragement to not go overboard in character design, for the sake of maintaining an emphasis on core humanity and not getting kind of silly in just how much flies under the radar.

Comment

Actually I was creating it Silver Grayish color toning, but it seemed like Gayscale Art. That looked so strange and not Epic at all. Then I remembered about the SIlver Pact tattos depicted in the exalted books, they all look light blue like neon blue so I just follow that color scheeme. But I will try for another round making it less blue =)

Thank you all for the feedback. I will draw all Exalted animas for 3ed =)
                      Blue is used a lot in the official art.

I have no issue with you using blue.

Your art is fantastic.

But the book says "argent".

If you're happy to take a second look at the coloring, then that's great. But please don't feel obligated to based on my feedback.

That said, argent is an important color for heraldry, or rather it's important as a lack of color to provide contrast. As Solars display their Caste colors as part of their general shining light, I think an argent backing makes the Caste colors more prominent, and the anima more personal for Lunars. Again, blue is fine for representing what the different anima levels look like (what is burning, what is bonfire), and I've already saved your picture to use as a resource in my next game.

The books describe the Lunar anima as basically being fiery in the manner that the Solar one is, bit a different colour.
                      Does it?

I'm not saying "it doesn't", but here's what I cribbed out:

Anima Banner
                      A Lunar’s anima banner blazes forth into visibility as she expends Essence. [...]
                      Dim: The Lunar’s anima is invisible. [...]
                      Glowing: The Lunar’s anima outlines her body in glowing light. Her Caste Mark appears on her brow, shining through anything placed over it. Her Tell becomes obvious to all who see her. [...]
                      Burning: The Lunar’s anima shines in an argent aura around her. [...] Her Caste Mark is subsumed into her anima, but may reappear at dramatic moments. [...]
                      Bonfire/Iconic: The Lunar’s anima ignites into a brilliant bonfire that stretches high into the sky, visible for miles around. Upon reaching this level, and at suitably dramatic moments, her anima manifests an iconic display of personal symbolism [...]

Full Moon: Their anima banners begin as a steady, constant glow limning them in soft white or silver light, growing brighter and fiercer as they rise in intensity. Their iconic animas might depict their spirit shapes or monstrous forms derived from them, mighty weapons, vast silver-fanged maws, stylized war-banners, countless limbs radiating outwards, or similar displays.
                      Changing Moon: Their anima banners shift between bright silvers, dark blues, and shadowy purples, growing brighter and changing more rapidly as they grow in intensity. Their iconic animas might depict their spirit shapes, eye-catching displays of rainbow fire, whirling silver masks, choirs of beast-headed spirits singing exultant psalms, or similar displays.
                      No Moon: Their anima banners are dreamlike veils of dark blue and purple, tinted with silver radiance at their edges. As a banner’s intensity rises, the blues and purples grow darker while the silver grows brighter and more prominent. A No Moon’s iconic anima might depict her spirit shape, congeries of alien eyes, whirling mandalas of silver runes, vast shadows of uncertain form, or similar displays.
                      Casteless: Their anima banner are chaotic swirls of blues, purples, silvers and whites, growing both more
                      vibrant and more intermingled as their intensity rises. Their iconic animas can display a wide variety of manifestations

My reading is that an argent aura means your surrounded by a pale, silvery-white light. I am no artist, but I picture it more like this (but shot-through with caste colors):

For the Tell, we're all agreed that two horns, two ears or a mouthful of however many teeth is "one feature". I think ears and tail is certainly pushing it, but if it's cosmetic, and thematically appropriate, then I think it's in scale with what the Tell is supposed to be and do. But, again, just my opinion.
                      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 08-14-2019, 06:15 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

The books describe the Lunar anima as basically being fiery in the manner that the Solar one is, bit a different colour.
                        The books don't exactly describe the Solar anima as being fiery. Oh, it ignites, it flares, it blazes, and such, but those descriptors are all about the lightshow.

Comment

Looks great!
                          Thanks for creating these.

Comment

It feels weird to me to have the Lunar bonfire in the shape of a literal bonfire. While I like all the small Lunar touches that were added to it, overall it still feels like a recolor of the Solar bonfire.

I picture Lunar bonfire more as an escalation of the burning state, the silvery aura expanding into a column of mist-like light where all the interplays of color of the different castes are woven into the mist. That said that's just my personal take, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm being critical here but I really like these images you're making, keep 'em coming

Comment

Working...
                            X