[2.5] Wun Ja and the Syndics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2.5] Wun Ja and the Syndics

So in my 2.5 campaign one of the players has a mentorship with Wun Ja. The player is playing a Zenith. And they're headed to Whitewall.

Can someone check me on this, but I think Wun Ja might want the Syndics unmasked. Presuming they don't direct some worship to the B of Humanity leadership.

I think. Cause the sources a little contrary. On Page page 56 of Yu-Shan says B of Humanity investigators approach new divine rulers of cities to build and maintain shrines to appropriate gods of chosen by BoH leadership. But page 156 says that Wun Ja pushes for city gods to seize control of them, where a portion of the city god prayers are tithed to Wun Ja. But the RoGD: Gods and Elementals says that Wun Ja subtly encourages city gods of the bureau to assume greater control and is rewarded with greater worship. Also on page 62 of Yu-shan it says that the B of Humanity can promote worship of appropriate gods in the Bureaus of Nature and Seasons. So it seems maybe that with most of them that Wun Ja is having city gods build and maintain shrines, but for others is extorting city gods for a portion of their prayers received.

Because there is something in reading about Whitewall's religion, is that there is no specific worship of the Bureau of Humanity leadership. Whitewall worships the Syndics and Unconquered Sun mainly. And then each respective group prays to the gods that concern them; The Guardians and militia offer token pray and to the Northern war gods, the craftsmen pray to craft gods, merchants pray to road gods; etc.

Which means Wun Ja probably wants them on the same page as other gods they cajole or install into towns and cities. Directing worship their way. But since the Syndics have paid off the northern censor Benadamaru, there isn't much she can do. Unless of course the Syndics are paying off Wun Ja as well. But if neither is happening, then with a Solar that she's mentoring, then if she cannot convince the Syndics to direct worship their way, then maybe the Solar can find out who they are. Or direct the Solar in how to file an audit request with Benadamaru. Perhaps an audit from a Lawgiver would not be so easily ignored.

Of course what Wun Ja doesn't know is that by revealing or weakening the Syndics that the Department of Humanity might be weakened as well, as Uvanavu sits high in the Board of ill Health. Though it would also weaken the Bureau of Heaven as Yo-Ping oversees the regional peace gods in the Division of Peace under the Dept. of Abstract Matters. And Bureau of Destiny as well.

Without knowing the Syndic identities; Jagalza, Gri-Fel, Ruvia, Amoth, Tarendar, would all support taking out the Syndics if they don't play ball. After all, if the Syndics get away with it, then other gods might get more uppity. If Wun Ja learned of their identities though, I don't think she would dare tell anyone in the Bureau their identities. Jagalza might go along with her, but Gri-Fel and Ruvia would definitely post resources to send a Wyld Hunt to take them out or reveal them. Amoth would feed their names to Implacable Shining Barrator as well, to take heat off the cults he's propagating with Fairfolk.

So I guess the big question is, how likely is it that Wun Ja is getting a little extra ambrosia on the side from the Syndics and staving off inquiries, paid off like Benadamaru, or is it more likely the Syndics think paying off the Northern Censor is enough? Does 1st edition have information that could lend light to their relationship?

When Whitewall was built, UCS was named the city father, even in the Age of Sorrows, Wun Ja would still be a bit antsy about claiming UCS's property for herself. The Syndics explicitly deny being Whitewall's city fathers, so they're technically not butting in on Wun Ja's jurisdiction, as the proper city father, Sol Invictus, is in fact being worshiped. Granted, thee Syndics engaging in highly illegal activities by directly ruling a mortal city, but Wun Ja is an advocate of gods ruling cities. Furthermore, they're working to repair Whitewall, which enhances her portfolio and amplifies the amount of prayer received by all celestial gods, making it in the best interest of Wun Ja to let them keep doing what they're doing. Wun Ja would probably try to help them, or at least remain neutral, though if she were to demand bribes, it'd be out of greed rather than outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post
      Furthermore, they're working to repair Whitewall, which enhances her portfolio and amplifies the amount of prayer received by all celestial gods, making it in the best interest of Wun Ja to let them keep doing what they're doing. Wun Ja would probably try to help them, or at least remain neutral, though if she were to demand bribes, it'd be out of greed rather than outrage.
      Does Whitewall magnify prayers to all celestial gods? I thought it only magnified prayers offered within it. Hence it being more of a greed thing to get more prayers by offering "protection".

Comment

Its been a bit vague, but its been described as something that benefits all celestial gods, even if UCS is just redistributing the extra allocated prayers.

Comment

Its been a bit vague, but its been described as something that benefits all celestial gods, even if UCS is just redistributing the extra allocated prayers.
          Huh. So I guess it definitely would be more of a greed thing. Though as far as the whole city father thing, yeah they're not claiming to be the City Father. But doesn't that just create a precedent for other spirits who don't want to play ball with the Bureau? Where they claim to only manage a city but not be the city fathers?

Also, with being the head of the Bureau of Humanity, city gods fall under her jurisdiction. So while they do a good job managing the city, they're still managing it illegally. From a BoH perspective, they don't answer to Tarendar, Satrap of the North. So it wouldn't be claiming the city as her property, but rather ensuring that the city is properly managed under divine law. Couldn't it be argued that since Whitewall's management falls outside the jurisdiction of any Celestial Bureau, that there are no reports to any division, and thus no accountability. If Wun Ja can get them to send regular reports, to report to Tarendar (along with additional worship), then it only strengthens her bureau. By adding Whitewall's management and the Syndics to the bureau then it strengthens the bureau all the more.

If they don't play ball, then she may see it as only increasing her legal standing. Cause if they don't properly join the BoH, then she can claim that since the Unconquered Sun never gave any such approval to manage the city, then management of city gods, or divine city managers, full under her Bureau's jurisdiction. And as such it is entirely within her jurisdiction to make sure that the city is properly managed in accordance with The Unconquered Sun's divine law.

‚ÄčOr am I off base here?

Comment

I mean, she could threaten for bribes, but they'd largely be empty threats(since she ultimately wants the Syndics to succeed). The Syndics are pretty high ranking gods, and they've got plenty of bureaucratic defenses protecting them from audits. They managed to get Chejak and Her Redness to back down, Wun Ja's position is shaky enough as it is without her trying to make powerful enemies.
            Last edited by HamSandLich; 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Wun Ja's position is shaky enough as it is without her trying to make powerful enemies.
              True... But at the same time, so is Uvanavu's position. He has plenty of enemies. He's the weak link. Yo-Ping is the most connected as he gets along with the Division of War and seems to have no enemies. Plus he's an essence 9 deity. If Taru Han learned of blackmail, she'd definitely have his back, just so her illegal deeds are not affected. And Luranume, well no enemies but no friends either. But he is a direct representative of Luna.

So of them all, antagonizing Yo Ping would be the most dangerous. I don't know how Luna would react if Luranume would be exposed. Maybe a fine? But due to his being created by Auto; might just get a wrist slap.

Comment

Working...
              X