Playing New Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahlat's bow is in the core book.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I feel like the most playable sort of god would be one of those rogue terrestrial gods that wanders about starting up prayer rackets and then running off when the Immaculates show up.

Comment

I think the thing about playing gods is that, going by most of the examples that we've got so far, the capabilities of gods at lower Essence levels is sharply limited in comparison to the Exalted.

I mean, if you're part of a mixed group and you're all starting out, your Essence 1 god can't accomplish much. You seem to kind of need to be around Essence 5 before you start getting powers with a sophistication comparable to that of the Exalted (although still with more limited scope).

If there's a question of fudging the usual standards of how their powers work, or being very heavily reliant on the use of sorcery and martial arts, well... I know that the powers aren't the be-all end-all of gameplay experience, but it does still leave me asking what the appeal is.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          I feel like the most playable sort of god would be one of those rogue terrestrial gods that wanders about starting up prayer rackets and then running off when the Immaculates show up.

Elementals should be fine too, even easier to fit in a game, as origin-wise they can come from backgrounds with quite varied levels between mundane and fantastic.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
          I think the thing about playing gods is that, going by most of the examples that we've got so far, the capabilities of gods at lower Essence levels is sharply limited in comparison to the Exalted.
          I don't know - due to schedule reasons i ended up entering a game as the twilight's erymanthus familiar and had some fun with it even though he was quite vanilla with no addittions and (almost) no homebrew. But then he died through his mistress Carnal Spirit Rending and came back fused with a Raksha, a ghost and an Vaktri (elemental), what made him into a royal mess of sorts (but endlessly entertaining in the process) and never went beyond its initial Essence 2.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 06-26-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

Elementals should be fine too, even easier to fit in a game, as origin-wise they can come from backgrounds with quite varied levels between mundane and fantastic.
            Also, they're material, which I think makes them easier to stick with a party in some ways.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Also, they're material, which I think makes them easier to stick with a party in some ways.

Yes, they are part of the material world on all levels relating to it in a level far more personal than gods with their sanctums and comings & goings from Yu-Shan.
              Even those inhabiting fantastic places, like cloud citadels in the sky and so on affected and are affected by Creation in far more direct ways. One might say Fakharu's personal island and romance with the princess of some unamed western nation may be seen as a reflection of this.
              Last edited by Baaldam; 06-26-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I mean, if you're part of a mixed group and you're all starting out, your Essence 1 god can't accomplish much. You seem to kind of need to be around Essence 5 before you start getting powers with a sophistication comparable to that of the Exalted (although still with more limited scope).

If there's a question of fudging the usual standards of how their powers work, or being very heavily reliant on the use of sorcery and martial arts, well... I know that the powers aren't the be-all end-all of gameplay experience, but it does still leave me asking what the appeal is.
                I would imagine then they wouldn’t start at essence one if you were in a group with Solars and Lunars. After all if you have a Dragonblooded in the group they would start at essence 2. So depending on the spirit start them at essence 3 or even 4. Especially if they are the child of truly potent gods or created through Sorcery and thus comparable to a 2nd circle demon.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

I would imagine then they wouldn’t start at essence one if you were in a group with Solars and Lunars. After all if you have a Dragonblooded in the group they would start at essence 2. So depending on the spirit start them at essence 3 or even 4. Especially if they are the child of truly potent gods or created through Sorcery and thus comparable to a 2nd circle demon.

I guess it all depends on a particular game's circunstances. In one online game i started as the Twilight's Blood Ape (and irregular 6th PC), then mistress sacrificed it so she could finish off a pair of enemy bosses - just so she could in the following night toy with fusing Blood Ape, Raksha noble, ghost priest-warlord (Doppelganger), a Vaktri and a Garda Bird through ​Ephemeral Induction Technique.

It didn't quite go as she desired - the "Raksha Noble" was actually a less puisant (Ess2) Cataphract body double, and the Garda (Ess4, while the Twilight was Ess3) proved much too powerful to be "processed" like that, (leading to its very displeased return and attempt to kill the Twilight), but the resulting Ess2 Fae-Demon-Ghost-Elemental servant still proved quite useful due to the peculiar combination of powers from its varied parts, even with mixed up limitations here and there.

He even managed to scare off Mara & Alveua (actually perfect replicas made in the 1st Age by some eccentric sorcerer, but i digress) in one occasion due to the right combo of charms, what was awesome. And a blessing, because due to iron vulnerability Alveua could go through him like a hot knife on butter if that giant hammer of hers ever touched him!! XD

Anyway, even if you are not the mightiest kicker of behinds in the curb, a spirit PC may have a considerable range of versatility for one to find a strong niche into depending on what a player and ST manage to set up in relation starting concept, possible paths of growth and such. I never went beyond Ess2 with my patchwork spirit, "the Asura of Ghost-Flame" as he eventually came to call itself, and was quite happy with perusing the old tricks of "his component parts" and coming up woth ways to bring them back in tweaked form.
                  Last edited by Baaldam; 10-26-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X