[3E] Building a Lintha Character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3E] Building a Lintha Character

I was toying around with a concept for a Lintha character, thinking of an Outcaste (as Infernals and just plain Lintha aren't really a thing yet, mechanically).

How best can we do this in 3rd Edition?
    I'm especially interested if you think there's going to be major fluff changes to the Lintha and if the Auzhian would still be a thing (and how to "make" it in 3E)?

I was thinking of giving the character the Gills merit, but it seems Water Aspects just have water-breathing as a built-in thing from their Anima Powers.
    Would Backing (Lintha Family) be appropriate?

And for representing "normal" Lintha, what traits do you think are appropriate?

Originally posted by Serpent Axis View Post
    I'm especially interested if you think there's going to be major fluff changes to the Lintha
    For the time being, I don't think so (besides rolling them back to more of the First Edition depiction in which they were never a separate species), so I'd say you're good to draw on the heart of previous characterisation.

Originally posted by Sepent Axis
    if the Auzhian would still be a thing (and how to "make" it in 3E)?
    I think it could be a thing in character, but doesn't really warrant mechanical distinction.

Originally posted by Serpent Axis
    I was thinking of giving the character the Gills merit, but it seems Water Aspects just have water-breathing as a built-in thing from their Anima Powers.
    Would Backing (Lintha Family) be appropriate?
    Yeah, the Gills thing is a bit of a bother; it's one of their most iconic mutations, but if some basic Water Aspect magic leaves it redundant...

They can probably at least do with webbed digits. Backing in the Family is absolutely appropriate.

Originally posted by Serpent Axis
    And for representing "normal" Lintha, what traits do you think are appropriate?
    Well for a start, Lintha Reaver is one of the templates given for quick characters in the core's Antagonists chapter. They've got decent dice pools, which can probably be given a nice edge if they're put together as a battle group commanded by an Exalt. You've already got an idea for a few appropriate mutation Merits. We don't yet have rules for God-Blooded for the powers of those ones whose divine lineage is a bit more pronounced, but I'd say that a couple of minor Charms from some water spirits in the core and Hundred Devils Night Parade wouldn't go amiss for outstanding characters.

I think your big thing for playing it as a character is being immersed in the culture, the activities, the locale of Bluehaven itself.

Oh, actually, they could have sea monsters and even the odd demon as familiars, that should supplement them a bit. And still give them those shoes that allow them to walk on water.

How do you, errr… how do you feel about the castration?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      Yeah, the Gills thing is a bit of a bother; it's one of their most iconic mutations, but if some basic Water Aspect magic leaves it redundant...
      Yeah, Water Aspects just have that as a permanent benefit from their Anima Powers. They can breathe water.
      What I'm thinking is that I can treat it as kind of like the Sanctity of Merits thing - the Exaltation "subsumes" the Gills merit.

So the character can be described as having gills, it's just already mechanically represented by the template.

I think your big thing for playing it as a character is being immersed in the culture, the activities, the locale of Bluehaven itself.
      Yeah, that's the big thing because we don't really have any 3E intel on them yet, aside from the brief overview in the core. I guess dusting off Blood and Salt is the best thing for now?

Oh, actually, they could have sea monsters and even the odd demon as familiars, that should supplement them a bit. And still give them those shoes that allow them to walk on water.
      That could be really cool, with all kinds of possibilities.

How do you, errr… how do you feel about the castration?
      I was never a fan of that bit. I liked the story behind it, but not the actual self-mutilation part. I don't go into a lot of sex stuff in RPGs, but neither am I very comfortable with graphic descriptions of genital mutilation or even the idea that my character had that done to her, willingly or otherwise.

It's just... Why go there, you know? The question is, now that we're doing 3E with all the breath-of-fresh-air attitude of the writing, how salient to the Lintha identity do we as a community feel it to be?

Comment

Well, there is the Sterile flaw in Core regarding Lintha castration. The Tya apparently take special shellfish toxin to render themselves infertile, I don't see why the Lintha can't do that instead of needlessly primitive caveman surgeries.

As for 3e Lintha, they're still supposed to be snooty piratical Melniboneans. I'm torn on whether or not they should still be as idiotic regarding their breeding programs. One man's "pure lintha blood" is another's "inbred sea yokel" after all, and I feel that trying to prove their xenophobia right by giving them a functioning eugenics program interferes with their portrayal as self aggrandizing revanchists. Revanchists generally don't have a good grasp of reason and science after all, since they've built their worldview around solipsistic propaganda narratives instead of facts. On the other hand, it doesn't take much common sense to realize that polyamorous orgies aren't good for keeping accurate genealogies and any effective villain group should be somewhat savvy about that.
        Last edited by HamSandLich; 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post
          Well, there is the Sterile flaw in Core regarding Lintha castration. The Tya apparently take special shellfish toxin to render themselves infertile, I don't see why the Lintha can't do that instead of needlessly primitive caveman surgeries.

As for 3e Lintha, they're still supposed to be snooty piratical Melniboneans. I'm torn on whether or not they should still be as idiotic regarding their breeding programs. One man's "pure lintha blood" is another's "inbred sea yokel" after all, and I feel that trying to prove their xenophobia right by giving them a functioning eugenics program interferes with their portrayal as self aggrandizing revanchists. Revanchists generally don't have a good grasp of reason and science after all, since they've built their worldview around solipsistic propaganda narratives instead of facts.

I think the Tya method is not quite permanent sterilization, but something they maintain periodically. At least i remember something along those lines being mentioned in passsing in the background of a Solar that happens to be (or at least have been) Tya in one of the castebooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

I think the Tya method is not quite permanent sterilization, but something they maintain periodically. At least i remember something along those lines being mentioned in passsing in the background of a Solar that happens to be (or at least have been) Tya in one of the castebooks.

Either way, the Lintha should have access to resources that provide safer castration methods that don't involve genital mutilation or invasive human spaying. Chemical castration is a thing that's been done IRL, most infamously on Alan Turing.

Comment

I have a positive inclination towards Lintha religious practices, but I'll leave it be lest it consume the thread.

Originally posted by Serpent Axis View Post

Yeah, Water Aspects just have that as a permanent benefit from their Anima Powers. They can breathe water.
              What I'm thinking is that I can treat it as kind of like the Sanctity of Merits thing - the Exaltation "subsumes" the Gills merit.

So the character can be described as having gills, it's just already mechanically represented by the template.
              I think that one is always free to define non-mechanical elements of a character's appearance, so redundant gills would be right there with the green skin and red eyes.

Apart from that, how much do you want to mechanically distinguish the character as Lintha from the outset?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Although it isn't the most helpful now, there are supposed to be rules/guidance for playing god/ghost/demon-blooded exalts in Heirs to the Shogunate.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Yeah one way that you can keep gills and be a water aspect is just declare the Gills to be part of you Aspect markings. That's how I would go about it

Comment

Either way, the Lintha should have access to resources that provide safer castration methods that don't involve genital mutilation or invasive human spaying. Chemical castration is a thing that's been done IRL, most infamously on Alan Turing.
                    Wel, truth be told, it's my understanding that it has always been far more about proving one's courage and devotion thhrough a particular form of self-sacrifice than the birrth control/sterilization per se - that is a particular brand of eugenic/political use one matriarch - that happens to be the sister of the high priest of Dukantha's cult - makes out of the whole religious & cerimonial set-up.

But now onwards to other things - the Auzhian would be a sort of chopping sword, i believe.
                    In fact, check the sample image for the blade in the old 2e if you have one.

The 3e pic is not so in the nose, but the description is still there: "This weapon is a sword with a chopping blade about three feet long. Some versions have a square or angled tip, while others sport a curve with a wicked back clip. Unlike the slashing sword, chopping swords are designed not for fencing and agility, but for delivering solid blows that hack through armor and bone." - if one wants to make more of a deal of the back clip/hook and its distinctiveness, i suppose adding the "Disarming" would cover that.

Based on that, i think artifact versions would be Reaver Daiklaves, possibly of black jade mixed with bronze and black lead, etched in the acids of Kimberry's sea, at least if from actual Lintha craft and not one of countless heirlooms once purloined from others through the ages, that is.
                    Last edited by Baaldam; 06-25-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Depending on the make(and there are different auzhian makes shown in the illustrations), they'd either be chopping swords with an extra disarming tag or hook swords with the chopping or balanced tag

Comment

Either way, the Lintha should have access to resources that provide safer castration methods that don't involve genital mutilation or invasive human spaying.
                        Anybody in Creation is capable of sterilising themselves through overdoses of maiden tea.

The thing about the Lintha is that they're gigantic drama queens, and their culture has turned rather self-destructive in the last few centuries.

I'm saying this in the interests of advice on how they can be played until they get an official write-up: the point I get from the Lintha is that they get to be one of the most overt places where the game gets to wear the more lurid influences from its inspiring pulp fiction on its sleeve. It has the advantage of being a form that doesn't bring along the problematic racial or sexual depictions, while still having a nasty, grimy element to it.

I find it appealing on the grounds of taking that foundation and building an elaborate culture that has caught itself in a death spiral out of a perverse nationalism. It's like Brexit, but where the dichotomy of Leave and Remain is inflicted on their balls.

To talk about them approaching those obsessions with clinical sterility, it feels like that one Mitchell and Webb sketch where the supervillain wants deadly trapdoors set up in his board room, and the contractor won't comply unless it comes with a warning siren and gets appropriately cordoned off before opening.

Comment

Tbh, I think the whole castration thing, for whatever its value (or not) as critique of cultural concerns with "purity" or as subversion-twist of the "fading ancient race" trope, is probably overrated as an actual problem for the Lintha anyway.

Plenty of groups sustain some level of non-reproduction by their population, and often increase faster or at the same rate as those that don't have the same stricture. Societies are often Malthusian, and Y's offspring's child or adult mortality can improve from X's non-reproduction, given finite resources.

(And in 3e, I'd guess as in issue for prominent individuals, can be offset by edition specific greater frequency of sorcerers, and access to neomah to some extent, as well).

(The visceral aspect is OK as well by me).

Comment

One thing that has crossed my mind, due to the proclivity of certain Lintha to have demon beasts to pull their ships when the wind is lacking or against them, of what kind of strange combinations could an exalt with a focus on Ride or Survival and Sail bring to the table...

And speaking of awesome magics to bring to naval settings, have either the Land Ship or Folding Ship been updated to 3e?
                            Would love to see the kind of crazy evocations either of them might possess.

Comment

Folding Ship is in the Core.

Comment

Working...
                              X