I'll mourn you, my Metal Element Daddy aka Wu Xing chart for Exalted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll mourn you, my Metal Element Daddy aka Wu Xing chart for Exalted

So Exalted seems to use the five elements in the cosmology like the Chinese, but replace Metal with Air instead. And in the original Wu Xing, there are two cycles on how the five elements interact with each other, one of regenerating and the other is destroying, but there isn't any canon text for something like this for the elements in Exalted as far as I know so I draw a small chart (which mean I don't have to ask people every time I forgot which element nurture which due to my goldfish memory 🐟)

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

IIRC something like it was mentioned in Thousand Correct Actions.

Comment

The overcoming cycle first showed-up actually in teh 2e Dragon-Blooded book. I think it was the most memorable and honestly probably the actually most original thing in a book I'd otherwise write-off.

It came-up again along with the engendering cycle in Role of Glorious Divinity 1. Plus the seasonal and a note on how there are other ones about. But I always liked this particular setup for some reason. Flows nicely.

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

I am going to be honest if this maps to the seasons right, guess who just realized they left Air in a weird place for like two years in game? This guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
          I am going to be honest if this maps to the seasons right, guess who just realized they left Air in a weird place for like two years in game? This guy.
          It doesn't. The element Wu-Xing was its own set of cycles separate from the annual ones found int he 1e/2e and 3e calendars.

And stuff.

Comment

I always got the impression that every possible combination of these elemental cycles exists in Exalted and each has its own significance. The ones in the books are just kind of a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post
              I always got the impression that every possible combination of these elemental cycles exists in Exalted and each has its own significance. The ones in the books are just kind of a big deal.
              That was actually more or less exactly what it said in Role of Glorious Divnity I. I tend to agree on that one too, as there's no harm in jus thaving all sorts of fun patterns wiht their own occult arrangements.

And stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                That was actually more or less exactly what it said in Role of Glorious Divnity I. I tend to agree on that one too, as there's no harm in jus thaving all sorts of fun patterns wiht their own occult arrangements.
                That was my intention when I wrote that passage, yes.

Comment

And also because the usual RPG way of representing that sort of interaction ("your powers suck now, you're fighting your weakness! / you win easily, the other guy is weak to you!") aren't a good fit for a general-purpose rule. Like, the occasional spirit that plays by those rules, sure, but you wouldn't want it to be a major factor in interactions between DBs or something that is likely to come up with regularity, because regularly being on either side of that leads to gameplay issues.

Comment

Third Edition Dragon Blooded elemental powers were originally going to follow a cycle scheme, before that was determined to be too unwieldy and replaced with the leaner Aura.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Some ideas caught hold in my head and won't let go.

Autochthonian Generation Cycle -
                      Crystal, the thought-matter of the Machine God, produces Lightning
                      Lightning produces Steam
                      Steam refines Oil
                      Oil burns into Smoke
                      Smoke settles and cools into Metal
                      Metal contains structures of Crystal

Autochthonian Destruction Cycles -
                      Loop 1 -
                      Smoke dirties Crystal
                      Crystal purifies Steam
                      Steam disperses Smoke
                      Loop 2 -
                      Metal disperses Lightning
                      Lightning forces Oil to react
                      Oil controls the motion of Metal

Combined Creation-Autochthonian Generation Cycle -
                      Wood produces Oil
                      Oil produces Fire
                      Fire burns to produce Smoke
                      Smoke produces Earth
                      Earth produces Metal
                      Metal produces Crystal
                      Crystal produces Air
                      Air produces Lightning
                      Lightning produces Steam
                      Steam produces Water
                      Water produces Wood

Combined Creation-Autochthonian Control Cycle -
                      Earth grounds out Lightning
                      Lightning changes Oil
                      Oil maintains Metal
                      Metal can be made into containers that trap Steam
                      Steam dampens the world, controlling Fire
                      Fire agitates Crystal
                      Crystal binds and traps Water
                      Water settles out Smoke
                      Smoke taints Air
                      Air chokes out Wood our allows it to breathe
                      Wood parts or shapes Earth

Comment

Autochthonia oddly I never really worried about building a Wu-Xing thing. Mostly since that while youc an create such interations iwht sixfold symmetries, I think that the Chinese stuck with five in part due to the logics of geography, and also since there's a lot fewer "unique paths" you can get with a pentacle-in-pentagram than a hexagon-in-hexagram-and-some-other-lines. Notably that each line in the star only ever crosses two other lines, rather than four.

The image I actually reached for there was more akin to a Kabbalic sephiroth, with the elements serving as the base of the thing, and the Great Maker at the core and I think illustrating the Three Gifts in there somewhere.

And stuff.

Comment

Autochonian elements could have actual atoms and chemistry. You can have Autochthonian alchemists talking about metallium disteamate and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                            Autochthonia oddly I never really worried about building a Wu-Xing thing. Mostly since that while youc an create such interations iwht sixfold symmetries, I think that the Chinese stuck with five in part due to the logics of geography, and also since there's a lot fewer "unique paths" you can get with a pentacle-in-pentagram than a hexagon-in-hexagram-and-some-other-lines. Notably that each line in the star only ever crosses two other lines, rather than four.

The image I actually reached for there was more akin to a Kabbalic sephiroth, with the elements serving as the base of the thing, and the Great Maker at the core and I think illustrating the Three Gifts in there somewhere.
                            I was thinking about leaving out Smoke, since it's supposed to be the toxic byproduct of Autochthon's operations. Then you could have two pentagrams rotating against each other for the combined system, with each generating or destroying one of its own and one on the other system.

Comment

Working...
                            X