Marama is alive! How do others react?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marama is alive! How do others react?

I want to make sure I have realistic reactions from nations and various entities on 2.5 campaign I'm running.

Long story short, Anjei Marama is alive. And is in the vicinity of Whitewall. (She never threw herself in the void, rather she descended to the Tombs of the Neverborn where they tried to make a deathlord out of her. It failed, cause she's alive. But she's possessed now by a hekatonkhire biding it's time. Maybe possessed by other types of ghosts too.) How do the following entities react?

The Realm
    Gold Faction
    Bronze Faction
    Whitewall
    Lookshy
    Others?

With the Realm on the verge of civil war, the dynasts might be desperate enough to try and claim Marama for their own. Having the 1st Age dragonblooded commander responsible for slaughtering the servants of the Anathema might just help a particular dynast claim the throne. Not to mention all the lost knowledge that Marama possesses. As Serrat is the closest Realm Satrap to Whitewall, House Ragara may have a leg up since there are strong loyalties to them from the Thousand Scales administrators of Serrat. They might try send to a Wyld Hunt strike force to try and claim her before she makes it to Whitewall (The pc's have her and are taking her there). Failing that, I figure they will reach out to their diplomat equivalent immaculate order representative in whitewall to use diplomacy to pressure the Syndics into trying to release her into their custody. But Regara and allies would plan on an invasion of Whitewall itself in case diplomacy fails.

I guess a question is, would the Syndics reveal themselves as they did to the Scarlett Empress? My guess is no, since not only does Regara and allied houses not represent the whole of the Realm, they risk more of their identity becoming public if they were to do so.

As far as Heaven, the pattern spiders would definitely be abuzz at having Marama's thread rejoin the loom of fate, especially as strings around her thread move to accommodate that. The Bronze Faction may want to assassinate Marama. Not only is she in the clutches of a Solar, but they have no guarantees of what she might remember from the Usurpation. Does she know enough to incriminate them? They don't know. Plus, having solars with her level of 1st age knowledge is unacceptable.

I think the Gold faction would be on board with assassinating Marama. They don't want to be indicted either, also she might make it harder for them to approach the solar pcs (and npc's) to try and guide them.

The Syndics may want Marama for her 1st age knowledge of the city itself, to help rebuild it.

Lookshy would not care about Marama herself. Those events are more than 2000 miles away. But they may watch for further weaknesses. They may try and liberate Greyfalls. Or take other actions to help push the Realm into Civil War.

The Bishop would definitely send agents to assassinate her. He wants Whitewall destroyed, having her there may strengthen it. And if the Neverborn whisper it, he may know greater calamity will fall if she dies.

Bull of the North - The main icewalker force of his is 500-1000 miles away. He may not care. Saddea and the knowledge she could get would definitely care. She would definitely investigate.

The Bureau of Heaven - Now normally, what do they care about a dragonblooded. They have no rights in Heaven. However, she is a convenient scapegoat to pin the Usurpation on. If I'm not mistaken, the killing of a celestial exalt is a crime according to the laws of Heaven. So by association she is guilty due to her level of involvement there. Her actions also helped create the largest shadowland in Creation. So she's guilty of that. Plus, this is the first time that the Bureau of Heaven has someone they can actually prosecute for the crimes of the Usurpation. They can't touch the Sidereals, but they can touch her. They would certainly make this a showy trial to demonstrate to Sidereals how erroneous the Usurpation was.

Exceptions include deities like Parad, would would see Marama's higher breeding than most Dragonbloods of the day and want her preserved.

Does all of this sound plausible? Am I forgetting major characters or nations who might react to this?

To be as candid as possible, I think the reactions from all the listed factions would range from mild curiosity to complete indifference or ignorance. A surviving First Age Dragon-Blood is an oddity, to be sure, but Creation is full of oddities. More importantly, very few in Creation have the means or inclination to distinguish a genuine First Age Dragon-Blood from a charlatan. The Realm will consider her a foreign outcaste if they regard her at all, Whitewall will just consider her another of the many threats in the region, and Lookshy will almost certainly not care even in the unlikely event that they learn of her existence.

Local factions would probably consider her a powerful ally or adversary, reacting to her in much the same way as they would to a free agent Celestial. The specifics of their actions would depend on what she is doing.

The only group I think might take a more active interest is the Bronze Faction, who have both the information-gathering capabilities to identify her and something to gain. They would certainly want to know if whatever method she used to attain her extraordinary longevity can be replicated practically, as that would have significant ramifications for the project of the Realm.

Currently writing for Exigents.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
      To be as candid as possible, I think the reactions from all the listed factions would range from mild curiosity to complete indifference or ignorance.
      OK. Thank you. So a more likely response from House Ragara (and others) would be to send someone to approach her, and determine if she is a fraud or a potential ally. So no Wyld hunt to get her. Well, not until they discover Anathema holding onto her.

I guess the Bureau of Heaven reacting like I thought they would, would be a bit extreme.

Why wouldn't the Gold or Bronze factions be concerned about what she might tell others about the Usurpation? With Arcane fate she probably wouldn't remember names or or faces, but she would know that there was a different group who aided the dragonbloods in the take down of the Solars.

Comment

Remind me, other than the page in Compass Underworld, is there anything else written about her? Does she have a write up in Lords?

Offhand, I remember she created Marama's Fell but that's pretty much it.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

How many people even know who she is, honestly?

My characters:
          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
          Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            I imagine the Syndics definitely do.

And I bet they're not best pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
              Remind me, other than the page in Compass Underworld, is there anything else written about her? Does she have a write up in Lords?

Offhand, I remember she created Marama's Fell but that's pretty much it.
              There is a write up of her yes.

Comment

Does she have a write up in Lords?
                She does. It has her as scorned sex worker who is essentially upset that her Solar lord created a servitor race and and has rendered her useless. Or something to that effect. I'm changing her background some from that.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Apart from the Syndics and Sidereals? I imagine there is enough of a floating legend or myth about her, especially for the towns and nations closer to the Fell. Thrice Dread Achiba has ancestor cults, so I imagine in towns with those cults there is some knowledge of who Marama is.

Beyond that, I guess the question is, how much of Shogunate history is preserved in the Realm? Because while there would be the most incriminating documents that run counter to the Immaculate Order, there would be some remaining. I imagine a few dynasts might be able to look up some of the old military records to find orders for the construction of Camp 17 and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                  Why wouldn't the Gold or Bronze factions be concerned about what she might tell others about the Usurpation? With Arcane fate she probably wouldn't remember names or or faces, but she would know that there was a different group who aided the dragonbloods in the take down of the Solars.
                  She wouldn't necessarily know more than innumerable gods, demons and various other immortals. It has been thousands of years, and memories and perspectives are imperfect. Even if she wants to expose the Sidereals for some reason, what evidence could she bring, and who would believe it?

Currently writing for Exigents.

Comment

She does. It has her as scorned sex worker who is essentially upset that her Solar lord created a servitor race and and has rendered her useless. Or something to that effect. I'm changing her background some from that.
                    Ah yes. She's got ritual scars over her aspect marks of memory serves.

Yeah, I think the Syndics will be outraged that the creator of Whitewall's biggest problem is still walking around and I doubt anyone else would care. I can see the Satrap making a play to win over a powerful outcaste and I can see her wanting to side with the 7th over the Realm if given the chance.

I imagine the Breaking of the Mask covers the Sids against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
                      Even if she wants to expose the Sidereals for some reason, what evidence could she bring, and who would believe it?
                      That's true. Arcane Fate certainly would have dulled her memory. And something else that I'm realizing, if her testimony mattered, then so would have the testimonies of higher ranking dragonblooded of the Shogunate. And the gods never sought them for trial.

I can see the Satrap making a play to win over a powerful outcaste and I can see her wanting to side with the 7th over the Realm if given the chance.
                      Why would she choose the 7th legion over The Realm?

Comment

Why would she choose the 7th legion over The Realm?
                        Lookshy isn't an exact copy, but it's closer to the Shogunate. They're also more likely to recognise her authority -- I don't see Ragara and Mnemon welcoming her into the Dynasty with open arms, but I think the General Staff would find a place for her.

Comment

what role though? She was a high class prostitute who later ran a gas chamber. Lookshy wouldn't have a use for either skill

House Cynis however....

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                            what role though? She was a high class prostitute who later ran a gas chamber. Lookshy wouldn't have a use for either skill

House Cynis however....
                            Erotic asphyxiation?

Comment

best not to think too hard on it

Comment

Working...
                              X