Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like to be peak human in Exalted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like to be peak human in Exalted?

So let's say you got something at 5. How do you show it? How do you stunt it? Or describe it?

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    You can manage projects really well.

Best example of this is probably Aria, Marena's god-blooded mother from Keychain of Creation. For canon examples... probably The Slug?

Light and L from Deathnote are also probably good inspiration.
    Originally posted by Epitome View Post

-At the highest level, you can manage and defend an organization which is a big player in the world, or wrap such an organization led by someone else around your little finger.

-You can make a chain of deals which culminates with a closed off nation selling their rarest exotic goods to you in a historic first for their nation.

-You can organize the emergency evacuation of an entire city with such efficiency and thoroughness that no one gets left behind.

-You always know when it is safe to bribe your way out of trouble and never pay more than you need to.

-You can uncover industrial sabotage and subterfuge through sheer accounting prowess.

And other similar feats.
    Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

Cut through red tape, know who to pester to get your project done. Set up an efficient organization. Maybe parse through a heavy legalese document?
    Originally posted by nalak42 View Post

And let us never forget being really good at making and understanding a contract.
    So that's what I got for Bureaucracy 5.

So what about things like Performance? Or Investigation?
    Last edited by Accelerator; 07-05-2019, 08:08 AM.

I think it's obvious for thowe who read the topic your examples come from but you should remind newcomers these are examples about Bureaucracy 5

Comment

I would say that the main aspect of having an Attribute or Ability at 5 is, fundamentally, that you have a pretty good shot at succeeding on difficulty 4 or 5 actions with that ability, depending on what you pair it with. But it doesn’t mean you can attempt superhuman feats or that the heights of that ability aren’t still difficult for you.

So, I don’t necessarily agree with all of those Bureaucracy examples you gave above, as some of them sound more like things you might want charms to accomplish.

Investigation 5

After examining the crime scene, you can spot when all but the very best criminals have tried to clean up after themselves and usually get at least some idea of what they were trying to hide. If they didn’t try to hide anything, you can probably come up with a general description of the perpetrator to hand to the constabulary.

After observing someone for a few minutes, you can make an assessment as to who they are, where they come from, whether they’re pretending to be someone else, and so on and you’re right much more often than you’re wrong.

Comment

You are Batman.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
          You are Batman.
          Wait.

But Batman is bullshit. Especially with 'prep time'.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            Wait.

But Batman is bullshit. Especially with 'prep time'.
            I stand by what I said.

Batman is the single greatest example of "peak human". If Batman could do it, you can do it. And a 2-die stunt is your "prep time".

Comment

But Batman is bullshit.
              Careful, them's fighting words.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                Nah he's kinda right.

The stuff Batman pulls out at the 11th hour (shark repellent) is incredulous bullshit. Batman is an interesting and nuanced character, but his feats are absolutely unbelievable. And they cross so many different fields that it becomes ridiculous.

But that's Exalted.

Whilst Batman's feats are massively out of place for the DC universe (how many times has he had a fist fight with Superman), they're right at home with what you can do with a 5 dot ability in Exalted.

Comment

Batman's no badass normal. He's a night caste with specializations with athletics and stealth.

He also sucks compared to guys like superman and the Flash. Who are the real heroes.

Comment

I think attributes need to be considered here. they complicate matters such that you can't simply say "at x dots in an ability you can do y".

Someone with 5 dots in an ability and one dot in the associated attribute is going to succeed on the same tasks as someone with one dot in the ability and five dots in the same attribute. What will differ is the manner in which these successes manifest.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      I think attributes need to be considered here. they complicate matters such that you can't simply say "at x dots in an ability you can do y".

Someone with 5 dots in an ability and one dot in the associated attribute is going to succeed on the same tasks as someone with one dot in the ability and five dots in the same attribute. What will differ is the manner in which these successes manifest.
                      13 dice in total.

Comment

You don’t get thirteen dice on Attribute+Ability rolls in Ex3, save for when you roll out stunts and magic.

(Attack pools are another matter, but even those don’t get *much* higher.)

Also:

He's a night caste with specializations with athletics and stealth.
                        I already established pretty firmly in the past that you can play any Caste of Solar as Batman.

He also sucks compared to guys like superman and the Flash. Who are the real heroes.
                        I’m sure you’re being facetious here, but all things considered, it doesn’t especially matter if you’re a science experiment gone awry, an alien, a god, or a billionaire - there’s better ways to make the world a better place than punching people in the face.
                        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

13 dice is 11 with a stunt. Technically peak mortal.

Comment

I already established pretty firmly in the past that you can play any Caste of Solar as Batman.
                            Did I miss something, or did they remove the 'suppress anima' power?

Comment

Zenith?

The others I can all see (some fit better than others, but they can all fit). But Zenith doesn't quite work to me. I mean, obviously you can do it, but it seems a bit forced compared to the others.

My characters:
                              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Working...
                              X