Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like to be peak human in Exalted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    John McClane, James Bond, Jason Bourne, and John WIck come to mind as characters in their worlds hwo are considered "peak human" but do a lot of stuff that would probably actually kill/not be possible for real people. I tend to go with an idea that in Creation a lot of things that are bullshit movie physics are the kind sof things Solars are pulling, as bullshit movie physics often goes with the idea that "If you were this good you could do it too."

Probably often goes beyond some of them, but I fully admit I watch more movies than read comic books.
    A lot of their stuff is also luck based, so...maybe that could represent stunts? I know it's dicey saying that stunts are a real in game thing that happens, but it might explain how they consistently pull off stuff that's just barely plausible without being dead after their second mission.

Comment

For peak war humans, I'd consider Andrew/Ender Wiggin, Bean, and maybe Petra to be peak humans in that regard. Where they're able to extrapolate and internalize war, considering all the angles. Knowing when to move on, knowing when to strike. Knowing about weaknesses in supply lines and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post

I think what he meant is that, even with 2 people that accepts participating in a mythic setting with mythic rules, it's hard to have the same expectations of what should fall in the territory of Charms and what should not, and that high level ability would sometimes tell the character "Well I can't do this without a Charm because it's too hard".

To reuse one of your examples, put a weapon in the hand of every man, woman and child in Zion and march them into that dock (btw I don't know Zion so i'm going to assume it's a city big enough to make things complicated and there is a dock nearby you want to invade) could be a Difficulty 4-5 roll, but what if there are no weapons in Zion and the character wants them to have battle-ready weapons? Does a good roll simulates the fact every capable blacksmith is gonna forge one on its command, or should that be a Charm that inspired people to find their antique family weapons ? What if there are extreme taboos in Zion that men don't fight, should a War/Bureaucracy roll allow to bypass that ? Or is it a Charm ? What if the people at the dock are the close family of the rebels you are trying to inspire in Zion, it seems it would be the territory of a Charm to force a wem and women to attack their sisters and brothers in a global rebellion, but maybe a roll would do ? What if the players want the rebels to be ready in one night, and the ST thinks it can only be achieved in one week ?

I'm not saying I have the answers to these questions. I'm trying to say that if you take 2 different players, and ask them if they think it deserves a Charm or if just a good roll is enough because it falls into what humans are capable of, you will have different answers, all motivated by different analysis.
        In this case Zion is the last human city locked in total war with a race that wants to annihilate mankind, but I guess my pop culture references are a little dated.

I don't disagree with your point though.

My inclination is to go with the drama. Which usually means supporting player agency and saying "yes, and", but if the players are trying to sidestep the story then I have no problem in telling them that what they are trying to do is impossible, but I'd do it with a "no, but".

No, you can't put a gun in the hands of every man, woman and child in Zion and march them into that dock. But you can have the entire APU Corp and half the infantry.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post

In this case Zion is the last human city locked in total war with a race that wants to annihilate mankind, but I guess my pop culture references are a little dated.

I don't disagree with your point though.

My inclination is to go with the drama. Which usually means supporting player agency and saying "yes, and", but if the players are trying to sidestep the story then I have no problem in telling them that what they are trying to do is impossible, but I'd do it with a "no, but".

No, you can't put a gun in the hands of every man, woman and child in Zion and march them into that dock. But you can have the entire APU Corp and half the infantry.

Are we talking about the matrix city Zion?

Comment

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

Are we talking about the matrix city Zion?
            Yes. I was kinda hoping people would riff off the Lysistrata reference but I admit that one is even more dated. (Get it? No? I'll be over here...)

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

No Matirx is fine I was just thinking "Well that could totally be a name for some Exalted city I don't know about" and I didn't even think it could be related to another pop-culture reference, don't worry you are not "dated"

Comment

I assumed it was, you know, Jerusalem.

My characters:
                Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Working...
                X