Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Exalted 3E] Need the advice/help of the mechanics savvy folks...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, reading the Tower Still Stands, JohnDoe´s interpretation looks correct. It is the one I use in my games, at least, and never thought about Alucard´s one, but I admit that English is not my first language, so something depending on the nuance of the word "continues" would elude me

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      Oh an optimised Celestial is going to turn Invi and Sword-fighter to red paste. As would the Ahlat or even Octavian (interesting thought on Octavian below).

1) Invi's typical attacks only have an Accuracy of 19. Meaning she's only hitting a Defence of 9 just over half the time. 10 would be just under half the time (I'd run it through AnyDice to get exact figures but I'm posting from mobile ATM). For Volfer-level 9+ Defences, Invi is relying on stacking Onslaught and Prone penalties to land the Decisive. Now you specified Evasion, and Evasion takes a -2 when Prone, so 10 Evasion is not massively better than Volfer's Parry 9 (unless you can negate the Prone penalties), and Invi has multiple ways to knock you Prone beyond basic Smash attacks (and that 19 Accuracy is before Willpower or Stunts). Evasion 12 is going to be a real problem for Invi (or any Dragon-Blooded at any XP amount). Invi would be looking to Clash -- which is an even 21 dice a piece unless you're blowing motes to hit 25. (A Smashfist wielder would have a slightly better time of it, as the extra +3 Accuracy would really help. "Fist of Titans" reskinned as "Fists of Titans" would be +23 Accuracy... but that's still missing Evasion 12 half the time (without Stunts/WP) althought it would be an even 25 on the Clash. Not sure I'd allow Unstoppable Hammering Blow on a non-Heavy weapon though, which is why I keep all my builds to published sources).
      Impressively even match for all that Celestial Vs Dragonblooded stuff, well done.

Lunars do have that Reflexive stand up from Prone Charm, but Ess 1 Chargen Death Kitty doesn't have it.

2. Invi's Parry is 6 ((5+5+1)/2). Between Flame-Borne Interception and Stoking Bonfire Style, boosting that to 9 is pretty easy. 21 dice is going to blow through Parry 9 as if it wasn't there. The advice (to Invi players) is to save your motes -- better to take the attack to the face, then spend your motes on offence. Of course, to attack Invi at all you have to have Reaching, Legendary Size or a medium+ ranged attack (I'd also allow flight, but RAW does not, sorry scarab-kitty), unless you spend your movement action to climb (or fly up) Rexy at Difficulty 3. Kitty's big problem is that her Wood Dragon's claw is going to be throwing 15 Damage against a Soak of 16. Now you're going to be getting threshold successes and can boost that with motes, and you can use Living Thorn Transformation to give the Claw Reaching, but it's all mote intensive. Invi emptied Volfer's mote pool by turn 2 -- if you're fighting in a white room that's no problem, in play Flaring Totemic is going to cause problems. (That said, Kitty needs to spend fewer motes on Defence so maybe that works out?)
      Yeah, my plan was giving the Claw Reaching via Living Thorn (it is mote intensive, but I feel it's the price for doing business). Death Kitty's damage goes from 15-20 depending on Str Excellency, but of course that, as you say is mote intensive. I think the plan would be Living Thorn + Resting Accuracy of 21 + 5 motes into damage each round to gain the upper hand.

I'll do a sample combat when I've got access to dice. I predict Kitty will win in five rounds (just eyeballing it), but I'll roll Rexy in and we'll do it as a proper test. (May I assume Death Kitty has she/her pronouns?)
      Ha! I had a plan for that. The Living Shadow form of the Belt of Shadow Walking, that way Rexy can be safely ignored, while the fight becomes 1v1 (Invi has hit spirits charms, I noticed, Rexy does not). And it's also draining motes on Invi as they have to keep their See-Dematerialized charm up.

Death Kitty is certainly a She/Her in the incarnation I made her for, so you are correct on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
        Ha! I had a plan for that. The Living Shadow form of the Belt of Shadow Walking, that way Rexy can be safely ignored, while the fight becomes 1v1 (Invi has hit spirits charms, I noticed, Rexy does not). And it's also draining motes on Invi as they have to keep their See-Dematerialized charm up.
        Ooo I forgot about that.

That probably tips things closer to three rounds (purely from mote expenditure). I'm working late tonight but I'll probably stay up to run through this. It's an exciting prospect.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Ooo I forgot about that.

That probably tips things closer to three rounds (purely from mote expenditure). I'm working late tonight but I'll probably stay up to run through this. It's an exciting prospect.
          Oh, you're going to run the fight? All my hats off to you then, fellow forumite.

Of course I'm hoping that Death Kitty has a good showing, but TBH, Invi is well made, and it would be no shame to lose, either.

I do hope you won't lose too much sleep running it though (or if it is the case that you will, put it off). I find that being well rested is like 40% of getting through the day, lol.

Comment

But if you are right, how does Octavian's "The Tower Still Stands" work?
            You got me there; I was thinking my interpretation was consistent with the way battle groups work, where if their attack crashes you, it won’t spill over into your health track and do damage, they need to land another attack in order to start doing health level damage.

But overall I guess I’ll concede the point unless the devs rule otherwise.

Comment

Oh, you're going to run the fight? All my hats off to you then, fellow forumite.
              If you'd like to run it that's fine with me too. *shrug*

Be a bit of a hassle to play it out between us. But I'm game if you are -- probably best to make a new thread (Invi will start with a full Excellency join battle if you wanted to game it out).

How I normally run these is to dice out each roll twice. If the first roll is within 1SD, accept it, otherwise test if the second roll is within 2SD. If the second roll is within 1SD, use it instead. If the second roll is outside 1SD, but the first roll is inside 2SD then use the first roll, if the first roll is outside 2SD but the second roll is inside 2SD then use the second roll. If the second roll is outside 2SD, use the first roll.

MAKE Roll twice: Roll1, Roll2
              IF Roll2 > 2SD
              THEN use Roll1
              ELSE
              If Roll1 < 1SD
              THEN use Roll1
              ELSE
              IF Roll2 < 1SD OR Roll1 > 2SD
              THEN use Roll2
              ELSE use Roll1

It's a bit of a cheat. But you can't use confidence thresholds for dynamic combat, and just taking an average roll misses the dynamic that whilst 10 dice will hit Parry 5 half the time... it'll also miss half the time. Then you get into percentage likehood cascading down every roll...

It's easier to dice it out and smooth over grossly improbable flukes.
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 07-17-2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

If you'd like to run it that's fine with me too. *shrug*

Be a bit of a hassle to play it out between us. But I'm game if you are -- probably best to make a new thread (Invi will start with a full Excellency join battle if you wanted to game it out).

How I normally run these is to dice out each roll twice. If the first roll is within 1SD, accept it, otherwise test if the second roll is within 2SD. If the second roll is within 1SD, use it instead. If the second roll is outside 1SD, but the first roll is inside 2SD then use the first roll, if the first roll is outside 2SD but the second roll is inside 2SD then use the second roll. If the second roll is outside 2SD, use the first roll.

It's a bit of a cheat. But you can't use confidence thresholds for dynamic combat, and just taking an average roll misses the dynamic that whilst 10 dice will hit Parry 5 half the time... it'll also miss half the time. Then you get into percentage likehood cascading down every roll...

It's easier to dice it out and smooth over grossly improbable flukes.
                Oh, no, please don't misunderstand. I trust you to run the fight in as fair a fashion as possible much as I trusted Dr.LoveMonkey for that other build of mine. Its a nice way to know if my build has any glaring holes that need to be plastered over or anything. I guess the only thing I ask is that Death Kitty start in Kitty Form with Wood Dragon Claws out (and possibly Living Shadow form up? That I leave up to yourself, I just worry that Rexy will indeed swing things very much in Invi's favour (Tyrant Lizards are real scary even without Exalted shennanigans)).

prototype00

Comment

With the Forsaken safely digested, and his Essence restored Invi rides on. To see a cat. With a wooden claw. And the tough hide of a scarab. That can't be good.

The Invincible vs Death Kitty

Raising his Goremaul in a rough salute, Invi goads Rexy towars the Kitty.
                  Moving with a practised ease, the lithe kitty with the heart of a scarab bursts forward to meet.

Join Battle
                  Invi: 19 dice for 6m. 2 dice stunt. Result 13. (14/18m) 1a.
                  Rexy: 10 dice. Result 8.
                  Kitty: 18 dice for 8m. 2 dice dex stunt. Result 11. (8/38m)

Turn 1 - Distance Long
                  Invi: Wary of the foe before him, hammer in hand, Invi takes aim. Drawing in the Essence of Creation to bring swift death to this Face-Stealer he invokes the Chambered Fist Charge. (14/16m) 12i.
                  Kitty: Looking like the cat that got the cream, Kitty moves in for the kill (Medium). And slips away into the shadows thanks to her magic belt (2/34m). Her wooden claw elongates into a long, vinelike whip (2/31m). And expecting attack, the kitty moves erratically, all attention on defending herself so she can close the distance (+2 Defence).
                  Rexy: With its master holding it back and the demon prey disappeared, Rexy lets out a terrifying dragon roar, venting its frustration. With her Intimacy on being a thorn in the side of the powerful, Kitty fortifies her will with Essence (2/29m), and Rexy's roar does nothing but scare away the local wildlife (5 successes, reset to 5i).

Invi (14/21m) 1a 12i
                  Kitty (7/29m) 10i
                  Rexy 5i

Turn 2 - Distance Medium
                  Invi: Knowing the tricks of the Anathema, Invi gazes into Rexy's highly polished barding to catch glimpses of his shadowy foe (10/21m). Calling on the Wind Rider's Swiftness, Invi bounds forward (10/16m) - short range. Six successes to Kitty's three and she is Rushed. Expecting Kitty to close, Invi choses to Delay an Attack action (10i).
                  Kitty: As she closes (short) the Tyrant riding Tyrant continues to barrel forward, bringing our two combatants face-to-face (close) or rather ankle-to-face. The immaterial Kitty whips out a lashing blow backed by a surge of Strength boosting Essence (4/25m).

Kitty Withering WDC: 19 Accuracy. 10 successes
                  Invi Withering Smash Full Excellency Clash Immaterial Spirit Grounding (7/10m)(9i): 20 Accuracy. 11 successes.

Invi's hammer batters away the claw and strikes true. Between her Beast Armor and not-so-natural toughness (1/21m), Kitty soaks the attack down to 8 damage. Invi rolls a 3 and adds 3 from winning the clash. The strike knocks little Kitty Prone.

Invi 16i (7/15m) Fire Aura 3a
                  Kitty 3i (8/21m)

Turn 3 - Close
                  Invi: Sensing victory at hand, Invi throws a Full Excellency (7/10m)(4a), Withering, Smash (15i) attack backed by Crimson Fang Bite (4/10m) and Spirit Grounding Shout (2/10m). Describing exactly how he's going turn cat-bug into splat bug, Invi scrapes a stunt bonus. Accuracy 20. Kitty doesn't want to get hit. Being Prone hurts, so she stunts not only her great skill at dodging but how she gazes directly into Rexy's gleaming armor making her manipulative eyes go wide. You wouldn't hurt a poor little kitty would you? Her Evasion is normally 8, -2 for losing the Clash, -2 for being Prone, -1 Onslaught. Bending Before the Storm, she's back up to 6 (8/19m), Manipulation+Dexterity Excellency Stunt puts that to 12 (2/17m). Invi rolls 8 (with a couple of 1s) missing horribly.

Cheese time.

Invi has made a Withering attack. That attack cost 1i but has left him with a higher initative than all enemies. Invi is in Fire Aura. Invi activates Burning Pinnacle Strike (0/9m) with Spirit Grounding Shout (0/8m) and a Full Excellency (0/2m). Withering Smash (14i). This time he's really going to smash that cat-bug. Accuracy 20. Crashed Celestials are dead Celestials so Kitty pulls the same Defence, 11 this time (0/7m). The attack rolls 10. That is one cute Kitty.

Kitty: Hurting for motes and down but not out, Kitty needs a win. Strength-boosted Spirit Rending Claw from Prone (0/1m): 16 dice, 8 successes easily strikes through Invi's Parry 6. 22 damage dice, soaked to 6, withers 3i.

Bottom of the round, Fire Anima Flux burns away 1i.

Invi (5/2m) 4a 11i
                  Kitty (5/1m) 3a 5i

Turn 4
                  Invi: Smash kitty! Spirit Grounding Shout, Withering Smash (10i), +4 Excellency (3/0m), immaterial foe. 16 dice. 8 successes but a 1 in the roll. Kitty uses Agile Beast Defence (5/0m).

Burning Pinnacle Strike Smash Spirit Grounding Shout (9i)(0/0m). 13 dice. 7 successes. Agile Beast Defence (4/0m). Man I hate this charm. Like seriously. WTF. This isn't in-character narration. What. The. ****. Broken hax.

Kitty: Str backed Spirit Rending from Prone (0/0). 8 successes. 5 damage, withers 3i.

Anima Flux burns 2i.

Invi 6i (5/0m) 4a Fire Aura
                  Kitty 6i (5/0m) 4a

Turn 5

Totemic Animas dancing round each other the combatants Clash again.

Invi: +5 Excellency (0/0) Withering Smash (5i) Spirit Grounding Shout Attacking Immaterial Clash. Accuracy 19. 9 successes.
                  Kitty: +4 Dex Excellency Spirit Rending Prone. Accuracy 20. 10 successes.

Kitty hits. Is soaked down to minimum but rolls 2 successes plus the Clash bonus.

Invi is Crashed 0i.
                  Kitty is up to 16i.

Anima flux burns 1i.

Invi 0i (5/0m) 4a Fire Aura Crashed
                  Kitty 15i (5/0m) 4a

Turn 6

Kitty: +1 Strength Spirit Rend (3/0m). Hits with a threshold of 5 (don't lose Clashes kids). 3i. Kitty 18i, Invi -3i.

Invi is on the ropes. He needs to end this Crash. +5 Excellency Spirit Grounding Shout Immaterial (0/0m). Kitty wants to save motes but also doesn't want to get hit, boosting Evasion by 1 (1/0m) to (8-2+1) 7. 16 dice exactly 8 successes with a 1 in the roll. (Take that Agile Beast Defence! Actually, AGD is still as good as boosting soak so we'll use it anyway to take out the threshold success (0/0m)). 19 damage. Soak 10. 4i rolled.

Anima flux burns 1i.

Kitty 14i (5/0m) 4a
                  Invi 0i (5/0m) 4a Fire Aura Crashed

Turn 7

Kitty: Let's not be Prone. Flurry Rise From Prone with Withering Attack Spirit Rend (4/0m). (Kitty will spend 2m to raise her Evasion when Invi attacks on his tick to cancel the flurry penalty 2/0m.) 8 dice easily rises from Prone. 16 dice easily hits Parry 6 with 2 TS. Minimum damage 3, rolls a 10 for 2i. 16i.

Invi: Can't smash on -2i. Swings a Full Excellency Spirit Grounding Shout attacking Immaterial (0/0m) and rolls 8 successes on 17 dice. Is there a 1 in the roll you ask? Why yes. 4. Agile Beast Defence bumps Kitty back to Evasion 9. Invi misses.

Anima flux burns 2i.

Kitty 14i (7/0m) 4a
                  Invi -2i (5/0m) 4a Fire Aura Crashed

Turn 8

Kitty: Spirit Rend Wither (6/0m). Accuracy 19. Ten successes. 19 damage, soak 16, 2i.

Invi: Spirit Grounding Strike, +4 Excellency (1/0m), Withering, Immaterial. 17 accuracy. 8 successes. Agile Beast Defence (5/0m). Misses.

Anima Flux does 0i.

Kitty 16i (7/0m) 4a
                  Invi -4i (6/0m) 4a Fire Aura Crashed

Turn 9

Kitty: Spirit Rend Wither (6/0m). Accuracy 19. Ten successes. 19 damage, soak 16, 1i. (17i)

Invi: Reset to Base (3i). Full Excellency, Spirit Grounding Shout, Immaterial, Smashing (2i), Withering attack. 18 Accuracy. Kitty declares Dex Excellency +1 Evasion (4/0m). 9 successes. Agile. Beast. Defence. (3/0m).

I'm going to cry. I'm actually going to cry.

Fire Anima withers 2i.

Kitty 15i (8/0m) 4a
                  Invi 2i (5/0m) 4a Fire Aura

Turn 10

Kitty: Aims.

Invi: Aims.

Fire Flux 2i

Kitty 13i (13/0m) 4a
                  Invi 2i (10/0m) 4a Fire Aura

Turn 11
                  Kitty: Aimed Withering Spirit Rend (12/0m). 11 successes. 2i. Invi Crashed (20i).

Invi: Full Excellency (4/0m) Spirit Grounding Shout Aimed Immaterial. Vs +2 Dex Excellency (8/0m). 21 dice. 10 successes vs 10 Evasion. Agile Beast Defence? Of course (7/0m).

Anima 1i.

Kitty 19i (12/0m) 4a
                  Invi 0i (9/0m) 4a Fire Aura Crashed

I'm calling it folks. A couple more rounds of slowly withering up initative and Kitty's got this. Good game.

(Should have pumped Dex on the Clash and risen from prone earlier. Live and learn.)
                  Last edited by JohnDoe244; 07-18-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Kylina looked at the trussed up and naked-sans-a-loincloth Prince of the Earth. She now wore his face and his armor. She even had his scent, so that the dumb beast he rode would accept her as it’s rightful rider, however temporarily.

She twirled the Dragonblooded’s jade seal between her fingers and rifled through his memories for anything to do with the Mnemnon Legion besieging Jiara. With these two prizes and her newest stolen face, she might just turn the tide there.

As for the Dragonblood? Shahan-Ya Amatha always counseled mercy. Not for any altruistic impulse to her once-kin, but that a paranoid, wrathful and/or scared Prince of the Earth, especially one with as much promise as this one, was more valuable than one dead.

It was a knock down, drag out fight and by Luna she’d nearly lost countless times, if she hadn’t been a sliver more Agile than her foe, it’d have been over for her. This is why she always preferred infiltration to combat and seduction to swords...

Great Fight! Man it was so nail bitingly close for the whole of the first 5 rounds. A testament to how Hard as Nails you made your DB.

So takeaways:

- If Rexy has gotten to act it’d have been over things already being this close!
                    - When you are out of motes high base values matter.
                    - Agile Beast Defense MVP?... ;p

Edit: Took a whole lot longer than 3 rounds, ha! A worthy fight between two very scary foes.
                    Last edited by prototype00; 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Great Fight! Man it was so nail bitingly close for the whole of the first 5 rounds. A testament to how Hard as Nails you made your DB.

So takeaways:

- If Rexy has gotten to act it’d have been over things already being this close!
                      - When you are out of motes high base values matter.
                      - Agile Beast Defense MVP?... ;p

Edit: Took a whole lot longer than 3 rounds, ha! A worthy fight between two very scary foes.
                      DBs don't have easy access to rerolling 1s. And with 15+ dice pools there's 1s in just about every roll. (Surprisingly few 6s but that's probably perception bias.) It's useful that you can declare it after seeing the roll meaning you can pump dex and hold off to see if you need the extra bump. Not so useful against Solars, of course. But being able to use it when on a higher initiative came up the one time I don't think I rolled a 1.

I really should have pumped Kitty's Dex on the Clash, but I was concious of how fast she was bleeding motes.

Without the Prone penalties it would have been quicker, but I thought there was no sense splitting the dice pool whilst Invi still had motes to knock her down again. Until it became clear that she had the resting accuracy to hit with the flurry penalty so it should have been played tubthumping.

Interesting to note that Spirit Grounding Shout was eventually free (albeit a persistent -1 penalty to hit) but Spirit Rending Strike was a constant mote bleed. Totally worth it to avoid getting stomped prone and subjected to an uncontested grapple. But it makes the Belt of Shadow Walking very appealing for DBs. (I wasn't entirely sure on the RAI interaction between Spirit Rending Strike and the Belt vis materialised foes hitting you on the same tick. It's possible that it'd open you to Rexy Clashes, but the RAW says dematerialised.) Likewise, you could argue that anima flux shouldn't effect dematerialised characters. But the ambiguity led me the other way on that one. YMMV.

Given how omni-capable Kitty is, it would have also been quicker if she was a Full Moon. It's a very nice build that I feel I didn't make full use of.

The combat definitely turned on the Clashes. Don't lose Clashes kids. Ever.

[Edit]

Placeholder drafts
                      Starting Earth Aspect Smasher
                      Cynis Ganan
                      Earth Aspect
                      Righteous Warrior
                      Heptagram

Strength 5
                      Dexterity 5
                      Stamina 1

Charisma 1
                      Manipulation 1
                      Appearance 5

Perception 2
                      Intelligence 2
                      Wits 5

Earth Aspect Abilities (and Specialities) (7 BP)

Awareness 5 (Join Battle)
                      Craft: Weapons 5 (Javelins)
                      Integrity 4
                      Resistance 5
                      War 0

Favoured Abilities (8 BP)

Athletics 5 (Rushes)
                      Brawl 1
                      Earth Dragon Style 5 (Tetsubo)
                      Lore 5 (The Shogunate)
                      Occult 5
                      Performance (Oration) 2

Other Abilities

Linguistics 1

Merits (Native Language: High Realm) (3BP)

Artifact 3 (Fist of Titans)
                      Martial Artist 4
                      Pain Tolerance 4
                      Well Bred 2
                      (3 BP) Manse 3 (Stone of the Ram's Horn)
                      (Dynastic Freebie) Resources 3
                      (Dynastic Freebie) Language (Riverspeak)
                      (Dynastic Freebie) Language (Old Realm)

Free Excellencies

1. Athletics: Effortlessly Rising Flame
                      2. Awareness: Precision Awareness Method
                      3. Brawl/Martial Arts: Become the Hammer
                      4. Integrity: Granite Curtain of Serenity
                      5. Performance: Audience Enthusing Display

Charms

1. Craft: Stone Carving Fingers
                      2. Craft: Hand Shaping Style
                      3. Earth Dragon Style: Stone Dragon Skin
                      4. Earth Dragon Style: Force of the Mountain
                      5. Earth Dragon Style: Stillness of Stone Artemi
                      6. Earth Dragon Style: Unmoving Mountain Stance
                      7. Earth Dragon Style: Earth Dragon Form
                      8. Occult: Spirit Detecting Mirror
                      9. Occult: Spirit Grounding Shout
                      10. Occult: Secret Wind Revelation
                      11. Occult: Fivefold Resonance Stance
                      12. Occult: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery
                      --. Control Spell: Invulnerable Skin of Bronze
                      --. Shaping Ritual: Sevenfold Art Invocation
                      13. Resistance: Ox-body Technique

Evocations

Free. Fist of Titans: Chambered Fist Charge
                      14. Fist of Titans: Mammoth Slam Quake
                      15. Fist of Titans: Unstoppable Hamering Blow

Intimacies

Bonus Points
                      Taking 7 Aspect/Favored Abilities from 3 to 5 (14)
                      Integrity from 3 to 4 (1)
                      Manse 3 (3)

Evasion 3
                      Parry 6 (+3, 6m)

Soak 9 Hardness 8 (Invulnerable Skin of Bronze)
                      (+5/0, Earth Dragon Form)
                      (+3/+1, 5m/turn or Bonfire)

Mobility Penalty -0

Fist of Titans Smash Attacks (Earth Dragon Form): Accuracy 16 (14 Decisive)(+3, reroll 6s on damage, 3m), Damage 19 (+5, 3m) (Overwhelming 5, 6 for 2m), Bashing, Smashing (-1i, no Defence penalty), Reaching, Two handed

Javelin: Accuracy 9/8/7 (5 Decisive), Damage 14 (OVR 1), Lethal, Melee, Thrown (Medium)

Join Battle 11 (+3 to result)(+3 successes, 6m)
                      Rush 11 (+3 successes, 10s explode, 6m)
                      Disengage 5

Overwhelming Performance: 7 dice, +1 success and ignore multiple character penalty for 2m

Resolve 5 (+2, ignore -1 from wounds, deprivation or poison, 4m)
                      Guile 1

Willpower 5
                      Essence 2

Personal motes 13
                      Peripheral motes 31 (26, 5 committed)

Health Track (3m/tick, ignore one point of penalties)
                      -0 x1
                      -1 x2
                      -1 x4
                      -3 x1
                      Incap

175XP Air Aspect Smasher

Air Aspect - Cynis Ganan - Heptagram

Attributes (80 XP spent)

Strength 5
                      Dexterity 5
                      Stamina 5 (40 XP spent to raise from 1)

Charisma 1
                      Manipulation 1
                      Appearance 5

Perception 3
                      Intelligence 5 (40 XP spent to raise from 1)
                      Wits 5

Air Aspect Abilities (and Specialities) (4 BP)(8XP)

Linguistics 3 (4XP to raise from 1)
                      Lore 5
                      Occult 5 (The Burning Name)
                      Stealth 3 (4XP to raise from 1)(Armored)
                      Thrown 0

Favoured Abilities (6BP / 3XP)

Athletics 3 (Aerial Acrobatics - 3XP)
                      Integrity 5
                      Resistance 3
                      Craft Weapons 5
                      Craft Cooking 4 (9XP to raise from 1) (With Charms)
                      Craft Artifacts 4 (9XP to raise from 1)

Other Abilities (4BP)

Brawl 1
                      Earth Dragon Style 5 (Armed)

Merits (Native Language: High Realm) (4 BP)

Artifact 5 (Storm's Embrace)
                      Manse 3 (Stone of the Rams Horn)
                      Well Bred 2
                      (4BP) Martial Artist
                      (Dynastic Freebie) Language (Old Realm) 1
                      (Dynastic Freebie) Language (Riverspeak) 1

Free Excellencies

1. Awareness: Precision Awareness Method
                      2. Athletics: Effortlessly Rising Flame
                      3. Craft: Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise
                      5. Occult: Hidden Secrets Whispered

Starting Charms

1: Brawl/Martial Arts: Become The Hammer
                      2. Earth Dragon Style: Stone Dragon Skin
                      3. Earth Dragon Style: Force of the Mountain
                      4. Earth Dragon Style: Stillness of Stone Artemi
                      5. Earth Dragon Style: Unmoving Mountain Stance
                      6. Earth Dragon Style: Earth Dragon Form
                      7. Occult: Spirit Detecting Mirror
                      8. Occult: Spirit Grounding Strike
                      9. Occult: Secret Wind Revelation
                      10. Occult: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Starting Evocations

11. Fist of Titans: Mammoth Slam Quake
                      12. Fist of Titans: Unstoppable Hamering Blow
                      13. Fist of Titans: Bone Crushing Strike
                      14. Mela's Coil: Wind Rider Swiftness
                      15: Mela's Coil: Clutching Dragon Coil

Purchased Evocations (36 XP)

1. 12XP. Mela's Coil: Spread The Dragon's Wings
                      2. 12XP. Fist of Titans: Colossal Whirling Strike
                      3. 12XP. Fist of Titans: Chambered Fist Charge x2

Purchased Charms (3 charms 24XP)

1. 8XP. Resistance: Ox-body Technique
                      2. 8XP. Craft: Stone Carving Fingers
                      3. 8XP. Craft: Hand Shaping Style

Intimacies

Defining Principle: The Immaculate Faith (Passionate Belief)
                      Major Tie: Anathema (Righteous Contempt)
                      Minor Principle: "I like creating and repairing things"
                      Minor Tie: House Cynis (Familial Duty)

Bonus Points
                      Taking 5 Aspect/Favored abilities from 3 to 5 (10)
                      Taking Martial Arts from 3 to 5 (4)
                      Martial Artist Merit (4)

Evasion 3
                      Parry 6 (5 Unarmed)
                      Soak 19 (24 in Earth Dragon Form) Hardness 10
                      Mobility Penalty -0

Fist of Titans: Accuracy 12 (11 Decisive), Damage 19 (Overwhelming 5), Bashing, Reaching, Smashing (+1 Accuracy, Defence penality waved, Initiative cost reduced to 1i), Two-handed

Unarmed: Accuracy 14 (10 Decisive), 12 Damage (OVR 1), Bashing, Natural, Grappling

The Burning Name Accuracy 15/14 (11 Decisive), 12 Damage (OVR 1), Lethal, Thrown (short), mounted

Join Battle: 11 (+3 to result as normal)
                      Rush: 11
                      Disengage: 5

Resolve 5
                      Guile 1

Willpower 5
                      Essence 3
                      Personal motes 14
                      Peripheral motes 35 (24, 11 committed)

175XP spent
                      80 on Attributes
                      26 on Abilities
                      3 on Aerial Acrobatics specialty
                      24 on 3 Aspect/Favoured Charms
                      36 on Evocations
                      6 on Merits

175XP Earth Smasher
                      Cynis Ganan
                      Earth Aspect
                      Righteous Warrior
                      Heptagram

Attributes (72 XP spent)

Strength 5
                      Dexterity 5
                      Stamina 5 (40 XP spent to raise from 1)

Charisma 1
                      Manipulation 1
                      Appearance 5

Perception 2 (4XP to raise from 1)
                      Intelligence 5 (28XP spent to raise from 3)
                      Wits 5

Earth Aspect Abilities (and Specialities) (6 BP)(16XP)

Craft: Weapons 5
                      Craft: Cooking 3 (4XP from 1)
                      Integrity 4 (12XP from 0)
                      Resistance 5
                      War 0

Favoured Abilities (8 BP)(1XP)

Athletics 5 (Rushes)
                      Brawl 1
                      Earth Dragon Style 5 (Tetsubo)
                      Lore 5 (The Shogunate)
                      Occult 5 (The Burning Name)
                      Performance (Oration) 2 (1XP from 1)

Other Abilities

Linguistics 1
                      Melee 3

Merits (Native Language: High Realm) (4 BP)(18 XP)
                      Artifact 5 (Storm's Embrace)
                      Well Bred 2
                      Manse 3 (Stone of the Ram's Horn)
                      Martial Artist (4 BP)
                      (Dynastic Freebie) Language (Riverspeak)
                      (Dynastic Freebie) Language (Old Realm)
                      Pain Tolerance (12 XP)
                      The Burning Name (6 XP)

Defining Principle: The Immaculate Faith (Passionate Belief)
                      Major Tie: Anathema (Righteous Contempt)
                      Minor Principle: "I like creating and repairing things"
                      Minor Tie: House Cynis (Familial Duty)

Free Excellencies

1. Athletics: Effortlessly Rising Flame
                      2. Awareness: Precision Awareness Method
                      3. Brawl/Martial Arts: Become the Hammer
                      5. Performance: Audience Enthusing Display

Charms

1. Earth Dragon Style: Stone Dragon Skin
                      2. Earth Dragon Style: Force of the Mountain
                      3. Earth Dragon Style: Stillness of Stone Artemi
                      4. Melee: Elemental Sheath
                      5. Melee: Dragon-Graced Weapon
                      6. Occult: Spirit Detecting Mirror
                      7. Occult: Spirit Grounding Shout
                      8. Occult: Secret Wind Revelation
                      9. Occult: Fivefold Resonance Stance
                      10. Occult: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Starting Evocations

11. Fist of Titans: Mammoth Slam Quake
                      12. Fist of Titans: Unstoppable Hamering Blow
                      13. Fist of Titans: Bone Crushing Strike
                      14. Mela's Coil: Wind Rider Swiftness
                      15: Mela's Coil: Clutching Dragon Coil

Purchased Evocations (36 XP)

1. 12XP. Mela's Coil: Spread The Dragon's Wings
                      2. 12XP. Fist of Titans: Colossal Whirling Strike
                      3. 12XP. Fist of Titans: Chambered Fist Charge x2

Purchased Charms (32 XP)

1. 8XP. Earth Dragon Style: Unmoving Mountain Stance
                      2. 8XP. Earth Dragon Style: Earth Dragon Form
                      3. 8XP. Resistance: Ox-body Technique
                      4. 8XP. Performance: Lightning Declaimation Style

175XP spent

Evasion 3
                      Parry 6 (+3, 6m)

Soak 19 Hardness 10
                      (+5/0, Earth Dragon Form)
                      (+3/+1, 5m/turn or Bonfire)

Mobility Penalty -0

Fist of Titans Smash Attacks (Earth Dragon Form): Accuracy 16 (14 Decisive)(+3, reroll 6s on damage, 3m), Damage 19 (+5, 3m; +1/scene on Summon for 3m) (Overwhelming 5, 6 for 2m), Bashing, Smashing (-1i, no Defence penalty), Reaching, Two handed

The Burning Name Accuracy 15/14 (11 Decisive), 12 Damage (OVR 1), Lethal, Thrown (short), mounted

Join Battle 11 (+3 to result)(+3 successes, 6m)
                      Rush 11 (+3 successes, 10s explode, 6m)
                      Disengage 5

Overwhelming Performance: 7 dice (+1 success and ignore multiple character penalty for 2m, reroll 5s & 6s for 2m)

Resolve 5 (+2, ignore -1 from wounds, deprivation or poison, 4m)
                      Guile 1

Willpower 5
                      Essence 3

Personal motes 14
                      Peripheral motes 35 (24, 11 committed)

Health Track (3m/tick, ignore one point of penalties)
                      -0 x1
                      -1 x3
                      -1 x4
                      -3 x1
                      Incap
                      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 08-22-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Hey you all, so first two sessions are behind us and I'm having fun with my (very slightly altered) DB...(in the end I couldn't let him have no socialize and presence stuff at all...so I have nerfed him a bit in combat [or probably lots, if your standards are what counts ] ). Anyway...I'm still pretty happy about all the info and help i got here with you all. So thanks again!

Now, if you have the time and inclination, I'd love to talk artifacts. The short-daiklaives that are in the DB book are nor really a match for my character. It's more a back-stabby kind of artifact. My character is more like the living sword-god (or wants to be ) and his swords should have evocations that support this narrative. He wants to stride proudly (read arrogantly ) into battle and face his enemies in combat...ambushes are for the weak and cowardly
                        The DM allows me to start the artifact off as a 3 dot that can grow when i invest in it to end at 5 dots over the course of our adventures. So, what kind of evocations would you build yourselves for what i sketched out for my character in this thread? Any ideas and or custom-evocations you want to present me?
                        So far, I'm a master in the Fire Dragon Style and I will probably branch into SDS as discussed in the pages in this thread. But evocations can also do seperate stuff, off course. I think it should all go into making me an even more frightening opponent. So stuff that powers my offensive and/or defensive are for sure suitable. But maybe some side-theme can also be to make him intimidating and/or a fortress in social situations? I have no idea what kind of scope artifacts are allowed to have in EX3e.

And as always...thank you in advance for all your thoughts and help!

Comment

You’ve hit on one important thing in this which is scope. Usually as artifacts increase in dot ratings it’s the scope of things they can accomplish that’s a signifier of their power. So a three dot artifact that had a charm to give you double 9s on join battle wouldn’t become double 8s at four dots and double 7s at 5 dots. Rather than having game breaking combat effects like that, five dot artifacts tend to have more grand effects. See Volcano Cutter or Stormcaller, which both generate natural disasters that can destroy a city, or Soulfarer which can call forth a solar circle spell. Which isn’t to say the more personal scale effects can’t be powerful, they can be, it’s just the really jaw dropping ones don’t usually look like scenelong +5 non-charm bonus to parry or something.

I’ll give it some more thought before I suggest anything specific though.

Comment

I think the Smiling Razors are the only Jade Shortswords released to date, so as a Fire Dragon who wants a sword you're kinda stuck with them unless you don't mind not being resonant.

The other choices are :

Razor Dancer and Wise Steel *** : (dissonant) Soulsteel Shortswords which channel the dead heroes within each to unleash strange Martial Arts. The Artifact was created recently in the Lore so it has few Evocations, so you have to be willing to create new ones. Strangely the Evocations work as Martial Arts Charms, which means you get a Terrestrial limitation instead of a dissonant effect. So as a Fire Dragon you may be able to empower the Evocations of this Artifact by spending your Fire Aura.

Phaessa and Deinon ***: (neutral) Moonsilver Shortswords containing 2 minor moon gods which grants varied powers that change like phases of the moon.
                            Last edited by Epitome; 08-19-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnemon Liranan View Post
                              Hey you all, so first two sessions are behind us and I'm having fun with my (very slightly altered) DB...(in the end I couldn't let him have no socialize and presence stuff at all...so I have nerfed him a bit in combat [or probably lots, if your standards are what counts ] ). Anyway...I'm still pretty happy about all the info and help i got here with you all. So thanks again!
                              You're very welcome. That's what this advice is there for: you're supposed to change the characters to make them your own and fit them to your game.

I'd love to see your character sheet. (And when you finish your game, I'd love to see the final version.)

As for helping you with custom artifacts, that's really not my thing. (I'm happy to give feedback on your own ideas and point you at published charms for comparison, if that's helpful.) There just aren't any firm rules around creating homebrew content: what I consider fine, your ST almost certainly won't and I have no basis to work from other than my own gut feeling.

What do you want your swords to do?

Perudant Vault has the kind of "social fortress" Evocations you want. And I'm sure I can find you an artifact that keys of Intimidation (can't think of one but I'll look once I've finished my analysis of DB vs Solar charms). What you want is definitely "in scope" for a custom artifact (I'm thinking red jade blades with a white jade hilt).

Comment

Originally posted by Mnemon Liranan View Post
                                The DM allows me to start the artifact off as a 3 dot that can grow when i invest in it to end at 5 dots over the course of our adventures.
                                Personally, I would actually say this is a bad idea. Artifacts in 3e are designed around their power level. A 3-dot artifact is something that enhances and complements the user's personal skills, a 4-dot one tends to create its own playstyle and approach for your character, and a 5-dot artifact should be a central feature of your character's whole story, with practically everything revolving around it. It will make it more difficult to build the artifact's evocations if you don't know what the expected power level will be before you start. If you want to "grow into" your artifact, the simplest approach is just to only take one or two of its evocations to begin with, and then buy more as you develop. I would suggest selecting the power level of artifact you want in advance, and just spending the extra bonus dots at character creation to get it.

Originally posted by Mnemon Liranan
                                So, what kind of evocations would you build yourselves for what i sketched out for my character in this thread? Any ideas and or custom-evocations you want to present me?
                                So far, I'm a master in the Fire Dragon Style and I will probably branch into SDS as discussed in the pages in this thread. But evocations can also do seperate stuff, off course. I think it should all go into making me an even more frightening opponent. So stuff that powers my offensive and/or defensive are for sure suitable. But maybe some side-theme can also be to make him intimidating and/or a fortress in social situations?
                                To me, this sounds like a 4-dot Artifact - you're looking for something that not only helps you fight better, but creates a whole playstyle that centers around striking fear into your foes. That's what I'd go with. Here's a suggestion for an artifact along those lines:

Pelko and Paniikki (Black Jade Short Daiklaives, Artifact ****)
                                These paired short daiklaives are named after twin gods of fear and panic, Northern deities who travel in the train of Voharun and Nasamara, the gods of Northern War, and draw on some of those terrifying deities' divine power. The daiklaives are heirlooms of House Tepet, forged during the Shogunate for an ancestor of Tepet himself, handed down by his ancestors, and after they came to him, passed down into the House that bears his name. Since House Tepet's bitter losses in the Battle of Futile Blood, the matriarchs have chosen (not without bitterness) to offer Pelko and Paniikki, along with other artifacts no Tepet scion currently wields, to Dragon-Bloods from other Houses, in the hopes of buying good will and assistance with such beneficent gifts.

The original commissioner of the pair of short blades was General Loviisa, an Earth-Aspect Dragon-Blood whose original domain lay on the south shores of the White Sea. She had grand ambitions to rule more than her original province, but her armies were not large, at least initially, given the low fertility and short growing season of her lands. Her initial victories against her neighbors were largely psychological, convincing them to surrender with only token resistance after being terrified and demoralized. Seeing the success of this strategy, Loviisa resolved to go even further. She tracked down the shared sanctum of the gods Pelko and Paniikki (a mobile place whose entrance could be found on any recent battlefield in the North), and beat upon the door, demanding entry. So terrifying was the Dragon-Blooded general's mien that the gods were intimidated, and agreed to her demands. They used their divine gifts to pluck the fear from the hearts of Loviisa's hundred greatest soldiers, drawing it out in the form of bunches of grapes. The fear-juice of these fruits were crushed out, and used to quench the jade-steel alloy blades that became the twin short daiklaves, permanently staining the black blades with veins of pulsing purple that glow with eerie light when a wielder attunes to them.

Loviisa went on to a mighty career as a conquerer, moving south and west until nearly the entire penninsula between the White and Inner Seas lay under her dominion. She was only halted when an admiral of the Shogunate faced her wearing a white jade mask, forged from the fearless hearts of her own picked soldiers, that prevented the fear that spilled from her blades from affecting his mind and those of his sailors. Even then, Loviisa did not perish, but lived the remainder of her days as the tyrant of much of the North, hoping for a weakness in the Blessed Isle she could exploit. It never came, and she died of old age, but her blades were passed down to her children, their descendants, and eventually her great-great grandson, Tepet.

The paired blades are deep black in color, with swirls and whorls of purple that form intricate patterns, and sometimes seem to shift and move on their own. The blades' patterns mirror each other. The hilts are intricately carved silver with a grapevine motif, and each pommel is a hemisphere of amethyst. When attuned and in use, the purple patterns on the blades emit a faint glow, enough to make them visible in the darkness, and to cast the wielder's face into ominous shadow. This effect can be suppressed by the wielder at will, usually to preserve stealth. When the blades draw blood, a low moaning noise emanates from them, like the sound of an uneasy sleeper in the grips of a nightmare. Where each blade meets the handle, there is a heartstone slot.

Attunement: 5m
                                Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 3)
                                Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
                                Hearthstone slot(s): 2
                                Era: Steel Petal Dominion

Evocations of Pelko and Paniikki
                                The powers of this pair of weapons are only unlocked while its owner is wielding both together. Even being disarmed of a single blade is enough to cause their evocations to fail. While the wielder bears both, however, their puissant strikes create fear in their foes. If an attuned wielder hits with a withering attack and does 10 or more initiative damage, or if they hit and do damage with a decisive attack, they may immediately and reflexively make an inspire action, rolling the better of (Appearance or Charisma + Presence or Melee). If this overcomes the target of the attack's Resolve, the target has the emotion of terror inspired, and it costs 2 WP to resist this influence, rather than 1.

I won't work out all the evocations for this, unless you're interested in the concept, but the general progression I'm thinking of would be:
                                • A pair of evocations (you can take them in either order), one of which gives you bonuses to hit against someone who's afraid, and the other which boosts attempts to instill intimacies of fear towards you.
                                • Chaining off both the former, an evocation that lets you hit an opponent with a crippling effect that makes either an intimacy or emotion of fear permanent until they can heal it.
                                • An evocation that lets you inspire fear reflexively in a whole group of enemies
                                • An evocation to create fear-based intimacies in everyone who can see you and who's already feeling fear.
                                • More evocations to boost your combat abilities against people who are afraid of you
                                • More evocations to make your fear-related instill and inspire rolls better
                                • Something to terrify whole battlegroups, forcing immediate rout checks.

Comment

Working...
                                X