Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for novel/interesting ways to use Bureaucracy in my game.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for novel/interesting ways to use Bureaucracy in my game.

The title's pretty self-explanatory, but I'm not the most creative and so when it comes to how to use it, I struggle to figure out how beyond the most basics. Bribe people, make money, evaluate items, skip red tape (for some reason, I still haven't encountered an instance where it'd matter).

For some context to help, the game setting and character using it are thus: We're in nexus, we're new exalts, and we were hella dumb and went blazing anima more than once and are now trying to hide within the cities underbelly as we've acquired enemies on a large and local scale. Criminal gangs we've run out of town, local dragon-blooded, and a few minor gods who hate that one of our exalts love of biological warfare (plague).

My character is something of an idiot savant, with 1 intelligence, eidetic memory, and who invested hugely into attributes overall. Bureaucracy 4 at the moment and a ton of free-floating exp to spread around as needed for charms and the like. What interesting things could I do with bureaucracy to help us?

Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post
    The title's pretty self-explanatory, but I'm not the most creative and so when it comes to how to use it, I struggle to figure out how beyond the most basics. Bribe people, make money, evaluate items, skip red tape (for some reason, I still haven't encountered an instance where it'd matter).
    One example that springs immediately to mind is the Council of Entities. Individuals on the Council have been known to take bribes to put a Civility on the books, or to strike out a pre-existing one.

​Let's say that normally it takes the better part of a day for your bribe to get a rule added to the Incunabulum; with Speed the Wheels, you can get it done in minutes.

​You then use Indolent Official Charm to slow down the overturning Civility you know is coming. It takes them a week to actually implement the rule that excises yours, giving you seven days of profit as your gang is the only one permitted to sell hippo ivory during daylight hours (or whatever).
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-07-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

One thing to know about Bureaucracy is it is an engine to fulfill goals.

So, what are your goals in the game?

Want to cause trouble for your enemies? Research where their weak points are and make life difficult for them. For criminals, you can improve the local authorities. For DB nobility, figure out their businesses/investments and tank them.

Acquire goods/resources? Open a business, take over the black market, set up a shell company if you are already exposed as Anathema.

Make the government more Solar friendly? Find out who are you biggest enemies and destroy them. Find the skeletons in their closet or make them look incompetent. Find allies to replace them and manipulate the bureaucracy to make your allies look good.

Some of these may require Investigation, Larceny, Social to support your Bureaucratic actions, but that is why you have a circle.

I write things.

Comment

I think that one thing to help with assigning tasks to Bureaucracy is to imagine what a society keeps official records of, and how that information can be useful.

The non-fiction Treason by the Book recounts an incident in 17th century Qing China in which, upon the authorities apprehending an anti-Manchu dissident, there was a very significant mobilisation of bureaucracy in order to determine the identities of various people whom the dissident had had contact with, in order to eliminate a number of people suspected on such sentiments. This involved combing records to find names based on a rough description of time and place several years ago, and then using that info to find their current residences.

I'm not saying one necessarily needs to go so authoritarian with it, but it's a picture of how such things can work.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Quoth Vance:
          Roll (Perception + Bureaucracy) to assess the manpower, supplies, or financial resources of an organization
          Roll (Intelligence + Bureaucracy) to know who in an organization you need to talk to get [task x] done
          Roll (Intelligence + Bureaucracy) to know how to report a crime to authorities in a way that gets an immediate response, rather than it just being thrown on a pile somewhere.
          Roll (Manipulation + Bureaucracy) to manage funds in a deceptive way, like keeping a Ponzi scheme running or cooking your books.
          Roll (Intelligence + Bureaucracy) to understand the finer points of the law or a local economy.
          Etc. etc.
          While this isn't everything you're asking for, outlining specific sorts of actions you can do with Bureaucracy may help with the bigger picture of what you can do with it.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by PixelPuzzler View Post
            the skipping the red tape problem is mostly a fault with our vision of the world. Last year I visited the shogun palace in Japan, where there are many I information on who and how could talk and an audience with the shogun in Edo period. And it was almost no one. Having the possibility to speak with a king, emperor, or any kind of ruler should be hard.

Comment

Don't forget Stamina+Bureaucracy to survive red-tape when dealing with Yu-Shan and the lesser spirit courts.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

I think this is one of the most Exalted titles i have ever seen on a topic.

You could also use it to hinder reports being sent to the Blessed isle to prevent a Wyld Hunt being formed, muddy up the information so to say. Use it to cover your trails so to say.

Another tip is to look at how VtM uses basically the same to control cities, Sheriffs use it to keep the masquerade, arrest people who have seen things, ensure your haven are not disturbed in times you dont want it, ensure that the cops are open for bribes.

There are no reason you cant take the same ideas into Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                X