Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is stopping your Circle from Creating their own Exalts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

And the First and Forsaken Lion inviting them in to play.
    Like literally stated as a fact he sent them an invitation and that is why they were free to assault in waves.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

That’s a 2e retcon, and is not necessarily in play in 3e.

Edit: or, wait, was that the 2e retcon, or was the retcon that the Fair Folk coming in was what cured the Contagion?

Comment

I think the cure?

I believe it was 1st ed that said he might have invited them. I think 2nd ed took out that he (might have?) invited them because he was plotting to overthrow the Deathlords, and instead put it down to incompetence.

I'll have to check later.

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Pretty sure that even if he invited them in, it may not have done anything to cure or mess up the damage from the Contagion. 1e implied at times there were segments of the population just outright immune to it (basically diseases are never 100% contagious). The Fair Folk were meant to be the coup de grace in 1e to my understanding.

None of this is relevant in 3e mind, where we know neither the canoncial source of the Contagion or the reasoning (or even existence) of Balor.

And stuff.
          My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

You know, I'm entirely on board with the idea that the Fair Folk were not so hobbled that they needed Exalted permission to invade the world like that, but I will always be a bit enamoured of that line "do as you wish with the living, for our concern is with the dead", or whatever words to that effect.

Anyway, to get back on track, I find the reasoning of "the Exalted have to make more Exalted, because only Exalted accomplish things" to be very circular. Even if it was an accurate assessment, how is something that has not yet been created supposed to accomplish something?

"Let us make men our champions, and bestow our power upon them."
            "But Suuuuuuun, only gods have ever accomplished anything!"
            "Jesus Christ, let my unprecedented creation at least have a chance to strut its stuff, you incessant whingers."

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Preamble: I may be a bit late to the party. However, I believe the best counterargument to a null set declaration is an example. So, in an effort to provide a thought-provoking, workable set of sub-Exalts, I present the below. More as a setup for their own chronicle, or to appear as allies or antagonists, than as something to incorporate in an existing Solar campaign as the work of a player.

The Exalted of Balthazar, he of the Eclipse Caste, Grandchildren of the Unconquered Sun, Prisms of Light

Born in the time of strife that epitomized the Second Age of Man, Balthazar was graced by the Unconquered Sun, found others of his kind, braved the Wyld Hunt, and wrested the Creation Ruling Mandate back from the Scarlet Dynasty and their Sidereal enablers to establish the Third Age of Man, as glorious as the first. During this epic journey, he was deeply influenced by a god, not the absent Unconquered Sun, rather Hiroko, the god of inter-Exalt relations. Hiroko was a valued and respected god in the First Age where he promoted harmony among the various stripes of Exalted. Listened to and respected by the Solar Deliberative, the Silver Pact, the Five-Score Fellowship and the Dragon-Blooded host alike, he had a divine nature that allowed an empathetic understanding so total he could forget his own prior thoughts on an issue. That is, until the Great Prophecy was cast. Hiroko was one of the first gods targeted in the Sidereal political offensive leading up to the Usurpation. The embittered god languished in the slums of Yu-Shan for fifteen centuries before hope returned to him with the rebirth of the Solars, an in particular his meeting with the Eclipse Caste Balthazar.

Balthazar saw the good of negotiation, of empathy, of reason and of mutual self-interest. But, to empathize with all is not to become them. The sun shines so brightly that it cannot see from the darkness that inhibits others' souls. Even the Night Caste carries their spark into the void, to shine forth again when justice calls. Balthazar took Hiroko's lessons to heart, especially after the god's soul was torn asunder by the Wyld's corruption in the Breach of Swar under the Divine General Supreme, Aidenweiss' second reign.

So, Balthazar set out to create what he strove to be - to cleave his own nature from his Exalted patron and imbue it in his children of the spirit through the method of Exaltation itself. A grand tale in its own right those trials would be, though they are not the subject at hand. The results of his labor are the Exalted of Balthazar, colloquially known as the Prisms, of which there are only seven. Scholars speculate that the Prisms are themselves the hybrids of the Exalted of the Unconquered Sun and the never-realized Exalted of Hiroko, though no provable experiment has been proposed to affirm or discredit the speculation.

During an eclipse, a Prism may clasp two beings and produce a perfect understanding between them. All of their internal lives, their past and hoped-for future, their viewpoints and heartfelt principles, are completely transparent to the two so connected via the Prism and the Prism herself. The Prism who accomplishes this connection is forever changed, burning away any Aspect she may have coursing through her and replacing it with two new shafts of light. She becomes uncannily like what the progeny of the two would have been, had she been born of their issue twenty years prior.

If she makes peace between two warring tribes of humanity, she becomes human, with only the latent power to change again at the next eclipse. Her features are a blend of the two tribes, and she is often granted an accentless bilingual tongue. She remembers her past lives, her past identities. She knows her previous skills, but should she, say, speak what was once her native tongue, now it will issue forth with an accent from one or both of her newly adopted tribes. When the beings she grants understanding to are different than humanity, she blends their natures as well. Should she make an accord between warring gods and elementals, she will be both divine, sharing in the touched god's nature, and also have powers over Creation's elements. Her human nature is forgotten, though the latent power of the Prism remains.

Prisms have no known natural lifespan, since so many effectively regain their youth each eclipse. Each knows the exact date and time of the next such celestial event, and manages to stave off a natural death until that time even if neither of their progenitor beings could possibly live that long. Should one perish, their soul makes its way to Lytek's care, and finds another host among humanity who desires to know the other as completely as the self - for good or ill. Their moment of Exaltation replaces this yearning with a transformation into the last hybrid form that Prism's soul achieved.

By this time in the Late Third Age, only a few in Yu-Shan know where the Prisms might be or what natures they currently take. Look for them in times of great strife where understanding might save countless lives, or where two beings of great power can be coerced into meeting under an eclipse for selfish ends.

The Lunar Castebooks fan project - Complete! (Changing, Full, No, and Casteless)

Comment

See that is interesting and I don't mind such beings. I especially like the concept of Hiroko, and I wouldn't of conceived of beings like these.

So lets say I don't use the Term Exalted, So I make beings like a Keyblade Wielder, Beings whose blood become primordial Symbiotes, Guyver Style Alchemicals, Stand Users, and beings with Cursed Brands which give them power along with dire consequences. Say I don't call these beings Exalted but they are comparable to Exalted. Will that be more of an issue for people then calling them Exalted?

Comment

I suspect so.

"Exalted" implies that a)they're as powerful as PCs, b)derive their powers from the themes of their creator, and c)can replicate all over the setting.

As I mentioned, you can create all sorts of weird stuff with sorcery, etc. Creating powerful servants isn't really the issue, it's the above.

My characters:
                  Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                  Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    I suspect so.

"Exalted" implies that a)they're as powerful as PCs, b)derive their powers from the themes of their creator, and c)can replicate all over the setting.

As I mentioned, you can create all sorts of weird stuff with sorcery, etc. Creating powerful servants isn't really the issue, it's the above.
                    Well that's the point making them as powerful as PCs, or at least circumstantially approaching. And not something simple like a dude with one trick. Though Technically with Sorcery you can make spirits stronger then a lot of Dragonblooded, I'd wager on Octavian over most Dragonblooded in a cage fight.
                    I'm
                    I mean beings with their own charm trees. Maybe not as robust as Exalted ones but ample enough where you could create a group of them without being redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      Well that's the point making them as powerful as PCs, or at least circumstantially approaching. And not something simple like a dude with one trick. Though Technically with Sorcery you can make spirits stronger then a lot of Dragonblooded, I'd wager on Octavian over most Dragonblooded in a cage fight.
                      I'm
                      I mean beings with their own charm trees. Maybe not as robust as Exalted ones but ample enough where you could create a group of them without being redundant.
                      Seems by then they stop being PC's and are a part of the next game session's background.

Comment

So I theorize at least one of the new Exalted are Chosen/Foresaken of the Great Curse, I'm guessing the Soul Bitten. Been thinking about this more as I play Darksouls and I feel being Chosen of the Great Curse would be a suitable source of Exaltation, the power being the Curse. If I make my own version of such beings another entity could just be vehicle for the Curse.

And how free are we in the power levels of non Exalted Potent Beings like the Dragon Kings and Mountainfolk, theoretically weaker then Dragonblooded but still potent I imagine. This makes me hope we get Changelings, not just Godblooded aspected to Raksha but Mortals taken as babes to Rakshastan and who evolve into Fae beings. I see World of Darkness splats as good inspiration for nonExalted Supernatural beings. So perhaps they have powersets or even charms, but unlike the Exalted their charms aren't balanced to cover all angles, like how Exalted in general have Integrity Protection Charms and some form of Area of Effect avoidance.

But other Examples possibly Patronless Exalted besides Foresaken of the Great Curse, are the Chosen Undead/Unkindled, the Chosen of the Keyblade, Maybe even Chosen of the Directions (basically this would be an artificial Created Elemental Exalted Not Chosen of the Dragons but of Creation Itself, the Chosen of Oblivion (we already god Abyssal), and the Chosen of Apocalypse.

Comment

Considering the devs' statements about the Dream-Souled, I don't see the Great Curse being their patron. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            So I theorize at least one of the new Exalted are Chosen/Foresaken of the Great Curse, I'm guessing the Soul Bitten. Been thinking about this more as I play Darksouls and I feel being Chosen of the Great Curse would be a suitable source of Exaltation, the power being the Curse. If I make my own version of such beings another entity could just be vehicle for the Curse.

And how free are we in the power levels of non Exalted Potent Beings like the Dragon Kings and Mountainfolk, theoretically weaker then Dragonblooded but still potent I imagine. This makes me hope we get Changelings, not just Godblooded aspected to Raksha but Mortals taken as babes to Rakshastan and who evolve into Fae beings. I see World of Darkness splats as good inspiration for nonExalted Supernatural beings. So perhaps they have powersets or even charms, but unlike the Exalted their charms aren't balanced to cover all angles, like how Exalted in general have Integrity Protection Charms and some form of Area of Effect avoidance.

But other Examples possibly Patronless Exalted besides Foresaken of the Great Curse, are the Chosen Undead/Unkindled, the Chosen of the Keyblade, Maybe even Chosen of the Directions (basically this would be an artificial Created Elemental Exalted Not Chosen of the Dragons but of Creation Itself, the Chosen of Oblivion (we already god Abyssal), and the Chosen of Apocalypse.

Changeling sounds like Myst, so they exist in some faction.
                            Chosen of the Keyblade sounds like "Artifact passed down Exigence". I don't know enough about KH to pick the god who died for that.
                            Chosen Undead as in dark soul's "just won't die" sounds like liminals "I only die if beheaded or drowned".
                            What would thte powers of a Chosen of the Great Curse be like?

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5
                            Patreon, with my own games, horror stories, and folklore research here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                            San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here
                            My free folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Well I would imagine the power of Cursing, Vengeance, Revenge, Secrecy, Fate, and being Kryptonite to Exalted that took part in the War, maybe even the Gods as well. So the Abyssals would be a Scythe to reap all of Creation, the Foresaken of the Great would be like blades destined for the Sheath that would be the Exalted and the Incarnae. Assassin's to the Abyssals butchers. Oblivion's version of Sidereals maybe be a good analogy but they wouldn't be like Sidereals or Getimians.

But you can imagine the evocative nature of Curses to Boil your blood and wrack your body till the last pulse. To turn your shadows to flames and breath to ash. It could go in a number of Directions, maybe even a few Castes.

The thing with making custom headcanon Homebrew Exalts is you aren't compelled to make 100+ of them you could just make a handful, even if you have a potent source of power capable of making even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X