No announcement yet.

What's it like fighting a war supernal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like fighting a war supernal?

So let's say you're in Imperial Japan or Germany. As you enter the war, you exalt. I'm fudging things a bit so that you get only war charms.

All of them. Solar.

What's it like from the perspectives of your victims?

Depends on what you're like, as a person. Plus, I suppose, the assumption is that you're got War 5, and are of some rank where you can put your superior strategic knowledge to good use?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Depends on what you're like, as a person. Plus, I suppose, the assumption is that you're got War 5, and are of some rank where you can put your superior strategic knowledge to good use?
      Aggressive. Not too fond of atrocities, and truly believe in the Asian Co prosperity crap.

Let's make this imperial Japan. Youre an officer that pulled off an amazing stunt and word had been put to the Emperor himself.

Now you're seen as someone with a kind of divine blessing. Eyes are upon you, and your missions are now ranging from difficult to insane. It's time to prove your worth.

I don't need an entire alt time-line. I just need a good gist on just what kind of force disparity having a war supernal can overcome. And there's not much greater force disparity than Imperial Japan versus America and Britain

Comment

Considering that Solar War doesn't give you any inherent protection from a sniper singling you out and putting a bullet in your head at unanticipated ranges, it's hardly a guarantee of victory. The Solar War suite was designed around the conceit of other options existing for your personal defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Aggressive. Not too fond of atrocities, and truly believe in the Asian Co prosperity crap.

Let's make this imperial Japan. Youre an officer that pulled off an amazing stunt and word had been put to the Emperor himself.

Now you're seen as someone with a kind of divine blessing. Eyes are upon you, and your missions are now ranging from difficult to insane. It's time to prove your worth.

I don't need an entire alt time-line. I just need a good gist on just what kind of force disparity having a war supernal can overcome. And there's not much greater force disparity than Imperial Japan versus America and Britain
          In the specific case of WW2 Japan I feel Sail Supernal might serve you better. They roflstomped through China and southeast Asia but got fucked in the Pacific (oversimplification ofc but you get the idea).

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post

In the specific case of WW2 Japan I feel Sail Supernal might serve you better. They roflstomped through China and southeast Asia but got fucked in the Pacific (oversimplification ofc but you get the idea).
            But sail is an issue of ship navigation. Not in plotting war maneuvers. Sure in an individual battle sail will help in pulling off something tricky, but war is still the leading ability.

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post

Nah. He'll be admiral Yi

Comment

All soldiers that go through you will be at peak capacity within weeks.
                You'll almost always have overwhelming tactical advantage in every engagement you take part.
                Campaigning against you without vastly superior forces is extremely hard, turning any decisive victory against your plans a meat grinder not unlike trying to breaking a siege on foot.
                You will be the most shining target of the whole war effort, pun intended.

Comment

Wouldnt have mattered either way

In Japan's case they had eniugh War, just not enough Craft (they had no where near the production capacity to make enough arms take on the US )

In Germany it didn't matter how great the generals were, Hitler would overrule them for stupider war losing tactics.

Comment

A War Supernal at full blast isn't just hell when you fight them, they're hell when you plan to fight each other. You have to deal with not knowing them or their forces, but they breeze past that issue. They can pull off strategies they shouldn't be able to, and if you try to pull something on them they've already seen, they aren't just prepared---they just neutralize your plan until your strategy stops mattering. If they can figure out what you're planning before you start, your strategy's even more doomed. And even then, they may be able to just pull strategies out of nowhere in the middle of a fight.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

So. Many. Variables. Maybe the high command assassinate you as a threat, etc.

With the caveat that to actually have good, specific examples, I think you'd need a thick knowledge of the East Asian theatre of war that I simply don't have, and assuming the most straightforward interpretation of the premise:

Assuming you have command, then you would succeed wherever strategic and tactical blunders on how to use their forces had ever led the Japanese to stumble.

Where their problems were others; logistical and resources, technological, politically winning "hearts and minds" and loyalty of occupied peoples (beyond the loyalty of your own soldiers), errors that flow specifically from ideologies and passions, etc, I assume you'd have not necessarily have any greater competence to solve those (or War is slipping into an ur-ability at having a powerful state and ruling wisely; the "great general" ability turns into the "great king" ability, which Exalted doesn't have in a single ability for specific and necessary reasons to balance between Castes, the pretty important ability to tell stories about the downfall of great leaders due to their own folly and flaws, etc.).

Comment

One of the shorthands I use when I imagine what it would be like going up against a Solar is to imagine that the Solar is a video game protagonist. Luckily, we have a really clear example of two genres where your opponent has only War Charms (alright, maybe a few Awareness and Bureaucracy Charms get slipped in).

You are a mook on Easy mode of an RTS or a turn-based strategy game.

Your enemy's general is a player using the game engine to get some exploits, and possibly save-scumming, and has the difficulty turned down so that everything just seems easier for them. You said Japan, so let's pretend it's Shogun 2, or one of the old Kessen games.

They have a preternatural awareness of the entire battlefield, and their troops respond across the entirety of the site of the battle, even when there's no clear way that they could respond to a centralised "grand plan".

Their troops seem to, without any real reasoning, count double (Be One Size Larger). They ignore environmental effects, and every so often suddenly get rallied, glow a bit, and become an extra step as good. Their archers' volleys are always perfectly placed, and your fellow soldiers just keep walking into the line of fire. Whenever there's a terrain advantage it is suddenly, inexplicably, in the hands of your opponent; sometimes your opponent just seems to create a terrain advantage. When your team lays an ambush, the enemy forces seem to either ignore it, or know exactly where it's coming from to counter it.

When their troops have been damaged, they fix up far quicker than makes sense. They become hardened veterans quicker than seems possible.

Comment

Working...
                        X