Podcast Review of The Realm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcast Review of The Realm

In a bout of fortuitous timing, The Realm is out this week, and so is our review. We go through a chapter by chapter breakdown of the book's contents, share our thoughts, and pick out details for discussion: http://thestorytold.libsyn.com/episo...lm-book-review

Check out my RPG podcast: The Story Told
    Follow my ongoing Exalted Campaign: The Fall of Jiara
    Check out my Community Content: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....hazz%20Kellner

Couple thoughts having listend to the podcast:

First, I think we know the origins of all the Great Houses, at least datewise, on that timeline. That said, I think for me the big thing I wish we had was another former Great House that was knocked down more detailed. Basically what are the guys who got pegged down before Iselsi like. As a whole more history though would have been pretty sweet, kind of agree on that in general.

A bit on the Caul that I think worth remembering is that it not having some major thing tying it to Solar Exalted is to some extent a feature, not a bug, to me at least. A lot of writing in the game's history has had a habit of trying to tie things to Solars in some fashion wehre they're super impactful or important to a location. I think that the Caul in the end, isn't really for them is actually part of the appeal. It kind of serves as a neat microcosm I think of how the Lunars and the Dragon-Blooded have been at one-another's throats for centuries, and I think builds on the linking being to them (Gaia) in a way that's both adding to the setting and not making it feel like it's co-opted by Solars. Note, I like Solar Exalted best, but that they really are kind of ancillary to whatever is going on there I think is the better way to go myself.

A bit to me that stood out was that the Realm actually until the Empress disappeared, to me at least, felt like it was actually on an upswing of growth. Goldenseal was conquered but to myg athering not relatively long ago. The West as a whole past Wu-Jian seems like it's been much more kind of being ground down and incorporated, even as Prasad gets more an dmore independent. I guess to me there feels like the Realm has in the last century or two turned its attention Westerward in generla,a nd that was the vibe I got I guess. To me the Realm probably still would probably over time lose some territories, gain them elsewhere, but was still able to expand in some areas. (Control of Prasad long term wasn't probably, sustainable mind.) I kind of get more a vibe of the whole Aurelius -> Commodus -> Garbage Fire that was still Rome at a pretty big peak, but its adminsitrative state falling apart more for governmental structural issues than anything. The Empress probably was planning to be there for a while and adjust as needed. Just you know...she didnt and I get a gist that a Realm after she was gone wasn't her problem as far as she saw it.

All and all, good review, and keep it up.

And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Thank you! Personally, I agree regarding the Caul. We don't need the Solars to be involved in everything. And I totally agree that the Empress' guiding hand would have steered the Realm to future glory, I just thought it was interesting that they pointed out that the Realm's growth was slowing even before her disappearance.

Check out my RPG podcast: The Story Told
      Follow my ongoing Exalted Campaign: The Fall of Jiara
      Check out my Community Content: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse....hazz%20Kellner

Comment

Working...
      X