Effectively using Soaring Zephyr Flight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    It's another brilliant write up of a tricky charm. Thanks very much.
    Not done yet.

I've gone back and added a few lines about non-Air Aspects watching out for bonfire robbing them of Air Aura, and Air Aspects using bonfire to get Air Auras after using Brawl and Resistance Charms.

Also, Vance clarified that the Initiative cost is paid at the start of your turns (after the first), and that Soaring Zephyr's initial leap doesn't count as your movement action for the first turn.

One thing: stunting Auras. It's good roleplaying but it's unnecessary isn't it? Stunting your Balanced charms doesn't actually do anything, does it?
    If a Balanced Charm has an Element, that Element will generate that element unless you overwhelm it with an unBalanced effect.

But you are right; a Balanced Charm CANNOT break an existing Aura against your will, so you don't need to use Air-stunts to overwhelm them. I misremembered the rules of the Balanced keyword. I'll have to fix that.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      Also, Vance clarified that the Initiative cost is paid at the start of your turns (after the first), and that Soaring Zephyr's initial leap doesn't count as your movement action for the first turn.
      This makes me wonder if you could get so far away that combat would end for you before you crashed yourself. Like if you have 18i, you can go to x3 Extreme range before you crash.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
        This makes me wonder if you could get so far away that combat would end for you before you crashed yourself. Like if you have 18i, you can go to x3 Extreme range before you crash.
        Storyteller call.

If ground-bound opponents cannot rush you, can they meaningfully oppose a withdraw action? Would a withdraw action even be necessary?

As soon as your character is free from the stress of combat, she can fly freely without penalty or noticeable effort.

Comment

Finished thoughts on Air Dragon Style.

Comment

Storyteller call.

If ground-bound opponents cannot rush you, can they meaningfully oppose a withdraw action? Would a withdraw action even be necessary?

As soon as your character is free from the stress of combat, she can fly freely without penalty or noticeable effort.
            I totally forgot the withdraw action was a thing, you’d need a ton of initiative to try that though, or one hell of a withdraw roll. It depends when you lose the 10i for the withdraw action. If you only start paying at the start of the your next turn, or at the end of the round, then it’s absolutely doable with 15i, otherwise you need 25i or to get 11 successes on your athletics roll, and nobody is retreating with 25i.

I think worst case if you were a sorcerer you could fly up and start casting Cirrus Skiff, which will get you the rest of the way once you crash yourself.

Comment

I still have to cover two more Martial Arts Styles, and possibly Lore and Occult.

Maybe touch on Ride, I dunno.

After I'm done here, I want to really have some wet and wild fun with Embrace the Violent Flow.

After that, I think the only Wood "Super Mode" is Aura of Grasping Branches.

I'm not sure Earth HAS anything like a "Super Mode". Does it have any Aura Duration Charms at all? Maybe the underground-swimming combination?

Comment

A very useful thread. I'll be sure and remember this the next time I play an Air Aspect.

The blue jade armor of Arms of the Chosen was written with no such Evocations.
                Well, to be fair, Arms of the Chosen was published before Dragon-Blooded - What Fire Has Wrought, when all we had to go off of was Solar Charms.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  A very useful thread. I'll be sure and remember this the next time I play an Air Aspect.

Well, to be fair, Arms of the Chosen was published before Dragon-Blooded - What Fire Has Wrought, when all we had to go off of was Solar Charms.
                  I don't mean to be unfair, but it is a statement of fact that it wasn't included in the DB book with DB evocations (and it could have been), but in an earlier book that would only feature Solar Evocations.

We can't have everything we want.

Comment

Yeah, no, I getcha. I was just, y'know, doing my thing. I'm interested to see your next thread.

Comment

I've just gone through most of Falcon Style, but I got stumped on its third-to-last Charm, so I'll be taking a break.

Grasping Raptor Clutch was already a load to analyze, and now Neck-Piercing Hook is calling my interpretation into question.

Comment

Stealth

Remember the stealth Charms in Air Dragon Style, and stealth stunts taking advantage of your flight, combined with Air-stunts.

You can freely use Distracting Breeze Meditation and Soundless Action Prana to enter concealment and avoid detection.

Vanishing Wind-Body Technique, Zone of Silence Stance, and Dragon Shroud Technique can all be used before or after taking to the air.

Mela's Hungry Jaws doesn't count as an attack and so doesn't break Dragon Shroud Technique. There's no particular reason to use this Charm while flying, though, outside of some amazing circumstances, since you could use Perfect Climbing Attitude to cling to a ceiling or high on a wall with the handholds you made.

Whispering Dragon Soul is helpful for Soaring Zephyr fliers, but perhaps especially so for non-Air Aspect fliers who need to avoid the bonfire anima level.

Using most of these together can allow you to fly indefinitely through some pretty dangerous places by avoiding battle altogether. Or get you into the most advantageous sniping position to ambush someone.

Or perhaps get you into a good spying position to relay information to your allies with...

Linguistics

Speech Without Words, if her allies can see her despite her concealment. Wind-Carried Words Technique or With One Mind, if they can't.

Voices on the Wind and Reading the Unspoken Word helps spy on people too far below for easy listening.

Poisoned Tongue Technique for stealthy sabotage, with Air Aura effect.

Larceny

You can use Underground River's Flow and Nimble Thief's Fingers without losing Air Aura. The banked successes of Vault-Emptying Whirlwind Heist are practically non-elemental.

You can also use Mischievous Wind Grasp and Whispering Thief Technique, which are Air-aspected.

These are the Charms that don't end flight, but you probably want as many of the non-Air Charms as possible to ensure you can make any kind of escape and avoid the consequences of your actions.

Investigation

Indisputable Physical Analysis Technique, Tampering Detection Method, Revelation-of-Associates Hunch, and Foul Stench of Lies Discernment can all be used to spy upon people or things while floating just out of sight.

Scent of Stranger's Threshold cannot be used, but if you used it before you began flying, then you can benefit from the Air-elemental effect of its upgrade, Homeward Trail Discovery Method.

Ride

You can start a retreat or pursuit on horseback, use Heaven-Racing Leap, Cloud-Harnessing Technique, and/or Vanishing Cloud-Rider Ways to generate an Air Aura, and then realize that you need to continue the scene in the air more freely than is possible with Untethered Pegasus Spirit... or maybe you just haven't invested that far into Ride.

Until you're ready to ditch the horse, Scattered Pearl Hoof Falls, Tread Rooted In Life, Reins-Like-Roots Unity, and yes, Untethered Pegasus Spirit.

War

Tactics Mean Everything, Roaring Dragon Officer and Blazing Courageous Swordsman Inspiration can all be used to command your battle groups from the safety of the skies without hastening your return to the ground, but none of their withering attacks will keep you in the sky.

Tireless Footfalls Cadence, Changing Winds Cunning, and Storm-Calling Strategos... from what I remember, Charms used before a fight don't let you start with an Aura, so what's the point?

Storm-Calling Strategos lets you spend Initiative to hurt your enemies, which will leave you less for flying.

Occult

Five-Winds Raiment is fully compatible with flying, and the Air Aura bonus doesn't hurt. You could also use this to generate an Air Aura even if you don't use Hidden Secrets Whisper.

Dragon-Sorceror Puissance is going to reward you most for shaping sky-magic while flying in the sky, but you can shape spells of any element and still benefit without risking your Air Aura.

You can also use Spirit-Detecting Mirror Glance, Spirit-Grounding Shout, Secret Wind Revelation, Spirit-Chaining Strike, Hundred Devil's Whirlwind, Spirit-Shredding Attack, Seal of Heavenly Binding, and potentially Purifying Dragon Suspiration.

Fivefold Resonance Sense to sense weather or possible flight routes, while flying.

Lore

Air-aspected Elemental Bolt Attack and Burst Technique.

Using The Wind Turns or Dragon Vortex Attack will end your flight, but might turn the tide of battle more thoroughly.

Outside of battle, use Elemental Concentration Stance and Elemental Succor Method in the sky, because why not?

You can safely use Careful Insight-Gathering Study, Opening the Mind's Gates, Sagacious Elder's Instruction, Fulminating Thunderhead Brilliance, Thunderstruck Charlatan Imprecation in the air, if necessary. If anything, floating about in the sky above your students might help you keep their attention.

Linguistics (again)

Lightning Quill Master and Flashing Saga Flourish, for writing messages in places hard for others to find... or at least, hard for them to erase.

Tenacious Dragon Scholar and/or Enigma-Reading Eye, when confronted by messages written in such places.

Learn languages while floating over crowds of people speaking them.

Dragon's Voice Mastery for really talking down to people from on high.

Comment

I changed my mind about escaping combat simply by going straight up. Especially given that a fall from any height is instantaneous in this system, once your Initiative runs out, you fall right back where you started, with your enemies waiting.

Unless the enemies were too impatient to wait, and ran off, you need to travel horizontally, and they will chase you, so you need to Withdraw.

Also, I was wrong about Aura of Grasping Branches being a "super mode", since it isn't Aura duration. But Sparrow Defends the Nest isn't quite there either, so maybe I could cover both?
                          Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 07-21-2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I changed my mind about escaping combat simply by going straight up. Especially given that a fall from any height is instantaneous in this system, once your Initiative runs out, you fall right back where you started, with your enemies waiting.

Unless the enemies were too impatient to wait, and ran off, you need to travel horizontally, and they will chase you, so you need to Withdraw.
                            Yeah and withdraw almost certainly instantly kills your flight. In combat its best use might be to activate to escape 2 range bands up, putting you out of archery range, and then dip back down on your next turn to pepper the melee with arrows.

Also, I was wrong about Aura of Grasping Branches being a "super mode", since it isn't Aura duration. But Sparrow Defends the Nest isn't quite there either, so maybe I could cover both?
                            It's hard to say, Earth doesn't really have one as you've mentioned, and most of them don't quite have the same kind of power granting feel, but they kind of have the same "When do I even use this?" feel.

Comment

Embrace the Violent Flow is proving to be too fun and easy, so I'll save it for last.

Mirror-on-Water Focus comes first, because it's actually a challenge.

Sparrow Defends the Nest and Aura of Grasping Branches are on the table, sometime.

Comment

Working...
                              X