• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mountain breaker

I just remembered this awesome thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVUDKw4AIk

A man who cut through a mountain.

Heroism and excellence comes in many forms. Maybe defeating a thousand armies in battle. Maybe causing a crowd to stampede and save you from your own execution. Maybe outwitting a demon prince. Maybe discovering sorcery. Maybe for the first time, standing up to an abusive dragonblooded.

Or in this case, cutting a hole through a mountain out of nothing but pure compassion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashrath_Manjhi

Manjhi felt the need to do something for society and decided to carve a path through the Gehlour hills so that his village could have easier access to medical care.[1] He carved a path 110 m long, 7.7 m deep in places and 9.1 m wide to form a road through the rocks in Gehlour hill. He said, "When I started hammering the hill, people called me a lunatic but that steeled my resolve."

He completed the work in 22 years (1960–1982). This path reduced the distance between the Atri and Wazirganj sectors of the Gaya district from 55 km to 15 km.

This is worthy of exaltation. I'm thinking craft supernal, with added favoured in athletics and resistance (for hard work). The solar that has exalted, will go on to build vast road networks and bridges in Creation. His immense talent enabling him to raise structures that would take decades to build and thousands of workers. Arches that form between mountain cliffs. Roads that float on water. Bridges across Wyld Zones. His works have things like 'Art of Permanence', and some of them are pseudo-artifacts, so cunningly made that travellers move faster across them than physically possible. He would coordinate and cooperate with the Sidereals of the Maiden of Journeys, great sorcerous workings and astrological blessings granting safe passage and swift movement.
    Last edited by Accelerator; 07-22-2019, 01:19 AM.

I believe Sunder the Gold discussed this one in the past. It's probably relevant to your idea. Let me see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: Here you go.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-22-2019, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      I believe Sunder the Gold discussed this one in the past. It's probably relevant to your idea. Let me see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: Here you go.
      Darn it. Not again.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        Darn it. Not again.
        Just because someone else had an idea before you, doesn't mean it's not worth thinking about.

​And it is a pretty inspirational story, and I like some of the ideas you suggest about further projects he undertakes. Though I think Isator Levi made a very good point in that thread as well.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        Some of this discussion has me thinking about times when people judge events leading up to Exaltation in comparison to one another, often with an idea to any given event seeming less impressive than others that have been written, or that feature in their own game.

​And I've got a sudden notion where at least sometimes, there can be considerations behind who gets Chosen apart from the particular event at which they were Chosen, especially as regards the Solar Exalted.

​It makes me think that there can be significant value in the idea that a person in the setting might do something distinctly heroic, possibly even more impressive than the incidents for many living Exalted, not be Chosen, and not have this represent a value judgement on them.

​Or rather, I think there's something good to not making "would get you Exalted" the highest standard of what is impressive or good in the setting.

​Like if an otherwise normal person has it in them to devote a large section of their life to performing a highly difficult task for the sake of the common good, and that's all they have in them, and that's perfectly all right. That not everybody who does something like that has it in them to do that again for lots more people for a few thousand years, and that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with them.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-22-2019, 02:27 AM.

Comment

You definitely chose the better thread title. And you provided a video, though I can't watch it right now.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            You definitely chose the better thread title. And you provided a video, though I can't watch it right now.
            Short summary. Its basically the dude's funeral, and him gaining and award.

A comparism is made to the man who built the Taj Mahal in memory of his wife, and guess what, its in his favour.

Comment

You'd probably gain a blessing from Ruvia with all the work you put into making the road.

Comment

Working...
              X