Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cup boils over, does this charm see use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ech, yeah I can see the case for it.

Personally, since CBO’s text specificies that the letter is taking the reader to task for being directionless and pointless, as an ST I’d rule that even though the character may not know what it is they care about, the fact that they still have the intimacy is sufficient to keep their soul present.

Obviously it’s variable by ST in any case, and generally i’d Favor the player regardless, it’s just that this is such a convoluted and bizarrely cruel way to kill someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
      Ech, yeah I can see the case for it.

Personally, since CBO’s text specificies that the letter is taking the reader to task for being directionless and pointless, as an ST I’d rule that even though the character may not know what it is they care about, the fact that they still have the intimacy is sufficient to keep their soul present.

Obviously it’s variable by ST in any case, and generally i’d Favor the player regardless, it’s just that this is such a convoluted and bizarrely cruel way to kill someone.
      Oh definitely this seems like the kind of method for removing a person that comes from having the tools to do so and going from there as opposed to seeking out the methods for the plan.Primary reason I'd see would be an assassination attempt that is viewed as having a great need for it not to appear as thought the target was slain. (Memory excising gambits don't leave physical wounds and you can't check a corpse for psychological trauma.)

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
        Pretty sure this is a joke Charm that's supposed to counter hypothetical "socially untouchable" characters that sometimes come up in forum discussions.
        To me it looked like a solution to a very specific problem that shouldn't return in 3rd edition anyway.

The way Abyssals functioned as antagonists back when they had Spectral perfect defences, they were basically encouraged to troll people by commiting atrocities and ultimately lure the PCs into shadowlands/underworld where they'd have the home field advantage. Back in the day it'd have been fun to skip one of those encounters by sending them a letter that tells them how pointless they are.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

I do agree that Cup Boils Over, as written, is just way too niche to be useful in a normal game. And I feel that in a game where a chance to use it might come up, it's basically an adversarial solution to what's really an interpersonal problem between the ST and a player: it's only going to be used when someone is playing silly buggers with the Intimacy system, and the other party goes "Fine! You're going to have a character who just doesn't care about anything at all? Guess I'll just kill them!"

As such, I think it should be changed to be useful in more circumstances. Here's my proposed re-write of it:
          Cup Boils Over

Cost: 1m; Mins: Linguistics 5, Essence 3
          Type: Simple
          Keywords: Written-only
          Duration: Instant
          Prerequisite Charms: Mind-Swallowing Missive, Voice-Caging Calligraphy
          The Lawgiver’s words can catch and twist the mind and soul of someone who is not in balance. This charm must be targeted against a specific person. It has different effects depending on whether the target has exclusively negative Intimacies, exclusively positive Intimacies, or no Intimacies at all. In any case, the Quill of Heaven rolls her ([Charisma or Manipulation] + Linguistics) and rerolls 6s until 6s fail to appear, against the target’s Resolve.
          Against someone with exclusively negative Intimacies, a success on the Solar’s roll convinces him of the fundamental horror of living by hatred. He immediately loses one temporary Willpower, and is plagued from then on by gnawing doubt. He cannot regain temporary Willpower by sleeping, and every time one of his negative Intimacies is used in social influence against him, he immediately loses another point of temporary willpower, before the influence is resolved. Furthermore, he automatically gains a negative Intimacy towards all his other negative Intimacies, hating his own hateful notions. This Intimacy is automatically at Major strength, unless he is at 0 temporary Willpower, in which case it is Defining. It cannot be weakened or removed except by breaking the curse. Breaking Cup Boils Over’s effects requires that the target adopt a positive Intimacy of some sort. As long as he holds such an Intimacy, the curse’s effects are abated, but they do not disappear until he has preserved such an Intimacy for at least a season.
          On a target with exclusively positive Intimacies, the Solar pens a congratulatory paean. If the target’s Resolve is overcome, he becomes enamored of his own attachments and virtues. All of his positive Intimacies immediately increase one step in strength, if they can, and he gains a positive Intimacy toward his own Intimacies. While the effects of Cup Boils Over linger, he cannot choose to reduce the strength of any positive Intimacy - he must be convinced to do so by external social influence. Moreover, if he can, he must spend willpower to enter a decision point against any such attempt. While under the effect of the charm, if someone reduces one of his Major positive Intimacies to the Minor level, or he acquires a new one, it remains at Minor for a scene, after which point it rises to the Major level (thus, another character can remove one of his intimacies by first reducing it to Minor, then further removing it entirely, so long as this is done within a single scene). Also, while suffering from Cup Boils Over’s effects, the target cannot regain temporary Willpower by sleeping. Removing the effect requires acquiring a negative Intimacy, at which point the curse is suspended, but not ended until such an Intimacy is held for a full season.
          Against a target with no Intimacies at all (or one whose Intimacies are so totally abstruse as to never affect their behavior at all), the Lawgiver sends a missive that highlights the fundamental purposelessness of the target’s existence. Overcoming such a target’s Resolve has the most dramatic effect of all: his soul realizes how meaningless his current existence is, gives up and falls into Lethe, incidentally killing him instantly.
          In all cases, Cup Boils Over’s effects depend on the subject willingly choosing their unbalanced state. Magic that prevents them from forming the relevant type of Intimacies, or any type of Intimacy at all, such as those who have been dream-eaten by the Fair Folk, are not valid targets.

Comment

Working...
          X