Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you rate each direction by fertility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xanroth View Post
    The West as you mentioned has fishing, but it's kind of all they have, so trade with the Blessed Isle and the mainland is pretty vital for the larger islands as expanding cities will swiftly eat up the small available patches of pastures and farms so I'm almost tempted to say that they would share a spot with far north and deep south if we go without the fish.
    The largest island in the West is the size of France, and the Realm is a month away. It seems unlikely that food imports from other directions are a significant fraction of the local diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post

The largest island in the West is the size of France, and the Realm is a month away. It seems unlikely that food imports from other directions are a significant fraction of the local diet.
      I tend to forget how big Creation is

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
        I tend to forget how big Creation is
        How big Creation is doesn't really have anything to do with how big any given island is.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
          i mean in relative terms, not absolute(which would be grossly unfair to the west) I really such at geography. For instance, Is the northern part of the south supposed to be more fertile than the scavenger lands?
          The Scavenger Lands is supposed to be at that perfect Nexus (get it Nexus haaaah not a joke) for the fertile Pole of Wood, but also having stable soil and rivers. Only the Blessed Isle can compete. I would say third would be the best parts of the South, then the West, and last being the North.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

1. Blessed Isle, Magic, perfect position, one of the books say they get 4 harvests per year in some places! (I believe atleast, Do keep in mind a Creation year are longer than a Earth year, i think)
            2. The East, primarily along the rivers, Particularly the Yamaze and Yellow river
            3. The West, Particularly Wavecrest - Vulcanic soil makes it extremely fertile soil. Do keep in mind the north of the west - Coral - Are notably baren, a large part of the reason for the piracy and the lack of power of women in that nation.
            4. The coast of the south. I am not sure how 'fertile' it is compared to other places, however, unlike say the Blessed Isle, there are only limited places in the south with fertile soil and water, yet its a huge direction as all need to feed, hence there is a much larger need to make the food production as efficient as possible, Hence, The Lap. However, i think one should not mistake Efficiency for fertility.

After this it starts to become a lot closer, An-teng being fertile for instance, but its hard to say if it is more or less fertile than the part of the north going from Wallport to the Yamaze river or not,
            And its hard to say how fertile some parts of the far east are. Rain forest on earth for instance, are surprisingly unfertile, (Google 'Rain forests not fertile' or the like to see why) So maybe a huge portion of The East are unfertile as well, even if it was possible to clear enough land for farming.

Obviously, as end notes, the far north and the far south are both incredibly unfertile.

Comment

Originally posted by lycaniz View Post
              4. The coast of the south. I am not sure how 'fertile' it is compared to other places, however, unlike say the Blessed Isle, there are only limited places in the south with fertile soil and water, yet its a huge direction as all need to feed
              I think the coastal South is supposed to be reminiscent of various parts of the land surrounding the Mediterranean.

It's also a few hundred miles wide.

The South is big, but it's also sparsely inhabited, with the habitation clustered around the parts that produce food (or adapting themselves or their environment to be more livable). There aren't vast desert civilisations dependent on the arable regions bringing in tremendous crop yields.

Going by setting descriptions, genre influences and analogous times and places, the coastal South might well be the most densely populated region of Creation. Which, sure, does bring back a question of where the food comes from.

One of the great things about large populations relatively close to water is that a lot of the food can come from some place far away, beyond the sea.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Certainly when it comes to raw food output only the Realm surpasses it. Even a extremely fertile place such as wavecrest are only farming around the shores (as far as i recall) Where as in The South the scale of the farming are pretty extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I think the coastal South is supposed to be reminiscent of various parts of the land surrounding the Mediterranean.

It's also a few hundred miles wide.

The South is big, but it's also sparsely inhabited, with the habitation clustered around the parts that produce food (or adapting themselves or their environment to be more livable). There aren't vast desert civilisations dependent on the arable regions bringing in tremendous crop yields.

Going by setting descriptions, genre influences and analogous times and places, the coastal South might well be the most densely populated region of Creation. Which, sure, does bring back a question of where the food comes from.

One of the great things about large populations relatively close to water is that a lot of the food can come from some place far away, beyond the sea.
                  It's worth noting that parts of the mediterranean(egypt, and carthage) were considered the breadbasket of the ancient world

Comment

Working...
                  X