Just finished a 10 year chronicle...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished a 10 year chronicle...

Over a decade ago, a group of us got laid off together and started a game of Exalted while we were job hunting. We've been playing every week or so ever since, even as we've scattered to new jobs around the world - from Wisconsin to Texas, California, Washington, Canada, and Germany - playing via Skype and other online tools.

Today we concluded our game with a climactic struggle against a returned Primordial - the last of our long-term antagonists - simultaneously manifested in nine separate realms of existence, facing her down with the aid of allies collected over many years and adventures. There are many stories, but I thought this artifact of our collective madness might entertain:

There are too many stories to possibly tell them all. We had a lot of laughs along the way, some... uh... more tasteful than others. There were multiple spin-off games and a bunch of custom content. We used to write a lot down, though that gradually dropped off over the years. We played other games when we needed a break, and there's every likelihood we'll keep playing together for a long time to come, but it started with Exalted.

I fell in love with Exalted years ago, and though I've been more and less involved over time, it will always be a huge part of my experience as a gamer, and at this milestone I wanted to give a shout-out to the game and the community that's made it great. Thank you!

ClaritySins of the First AgeHer Redeness's School For Exalts
    Complete Colossus RulesPlanning CharmsCharm Collection

Congrats!

Comment

“Location: World of Darkness”

...I don’t know if I want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
        “Location: World of Darkness”

...I don’t know if I want to know.
        Well at first, time was broken in a way you'd never notice - stuck in a continuous loop millions of years long because not one but five (technically six, if you count the Maiden of Knowledge, since Secrets was actually The Ebon Dragon's second fetich soul in disguise) were missing since forever ago and therefore Creation's fate was stuck on repeat.

We didn't find out until we jumped into the Well of Udr chasing a runaway construct the squirrel girls made (which we could have let go in hindsight, since it was just trying to share ice cream samples with... everyone in the universe... but I digress), and ended up skipping forward to the fifth age, which was basically World of Darkness.

We eventually looped back around, and over the course of several years we managed to recover the missing maidens and break the cycle, where-upon the each of the ages spun out into separate Creations, scattered through the Wyld (not to be confused with Fake Creation, which some Fairfolk built and Sol lit on fire because reasons).

Most of the the ages didn't need or get any further attention, but the series big bad (who was basically the primordial of really bad life choices, and had been run out of town by the others eons ago for being a total pain in the ass even by Titan standards) decided that the "fifth age" would be a good place to hide a soul in case we killed the others.

After the big showdown, TED and the Scarlet Empress (who eventually married him even though we brought an actual nuke back from WOD and let our twilight go full Technocracy on their wedding) moved in and made the place their collective world-body under a sort of amnesty deal, since having a steady relationship seemed to have chilled TED out a bit.
        Last edited by ChainsawXIV; 07-28-2019, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Congratulations Chainsaw!

I'm making the Tales of Exalts webcomic
          http://xanroth.deviantart.com/galler...ales-of-exalts
          alchemical report http://xanroth.deviantart.com/galler...hemical-Report
          the fall http://xanroth.deviantart.com/gallery/55265686/the-fall

Comment

Please, tell me the story of Sir Bwarktholomew the big fuck-off chicken. I burn to know.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

Your “not to be confused with Fake Creation” bit kinda reminds me of Barbus in my seafaring game; NPCs kept being made in the Storm King’s image!

Dark Barbus
              Dark Barbus was a by-the-book nephwrack who’d been moliated by a Deathlord to look like Barbus, and conditioned to believe he was the Storm King. Specifically the ghost of him, come back from a terrible future to put right what once went wrong (and going a little insane in the process, but hey, the Labyrinth does that to ya); in reality he was there to get the PCs thinking they’d succeeded at stopping the Deathlord. The players were suspicious of Dark Barbus, but since he only ever seemed to be on their side, they reluctantly accepted his help when he showed up.

Reflection Barbus
              Reflection Barbus was the Storm King’s reflection on the water as he sailed the Wyld. Not knowing the danger in doing so, the Storm King fell asleep, and his reflection came to life. With the Dawn Caste in his enchanted slumber, Reflection Barbus was free to run around, thinking he was the real article. Eventually he got into a scrap with some Fair Folk, and realized that he wasn’t as strong as he usually was (he didn’t have access to Barbus’ Charms). Oh, and when wounded, he bled seawater.

Reflection Barbus went to the high priest of Ocean Father to beseech the god’s aid; the Ocean Father revealed to him that there was a stink of Wyld-taint about him. Reflection Barbus asked him to remove the taint, and the Ocean Father warned him that there would be consequences. Once he assented, the Ocean Father proceeded to smite the living reflection with his divine power, destroying him utterly…

…at which point the real Barbus woke up. And destroyed the prison he was being kept in during his torpor. And realized that he didn’t have a reflection when he looked in the water.

Eventually he convinced a Fair Folk woman to make another reflection for him.

Corpse Barbus
              After the circle threw back the Wyld Hunt, one of the circle’s captives, a sorcerer named Nellens Malakai, arranged for a back-door deal to take place between the circle and his family. They came to a peace agreement; House Nellens would spread the word that the circle had been ultimately defeated, and bring back their (sorcerously-created!) corpses as “proof.”

Anti-Barbus
              Okay, this one wasn’t literally called “Anti-Barbus” - his name was “I Oppose.” He was created by the Frog Queen using sorcery and stolen blood to serve as the Storm King’s bane. He and his counterpart were linked by sympathetic magic; any Charm Barbus used, I Oppose could choose to also benefit from it. Unlike the others on this list, I Oppose didn’t visually resemble the Storm King very much; he was big and muscular, but he definitely took more after his “mother.”

Guild Barbus
              Long after the Okeanos game died off, I talked to one of the players in my current game about the good ol’ days, and mentioned all the different Barbus-alikes the Storm King encountered. Then they decided to use their Lore-heavy Solar PC to Introduce a Fact in our Nexus adventure, establishing that the Guild had a weird Western sorcerer quartered in their tower at the time. A sorcerer who went by the name of Barbus, and was rumored to be one of the Anathema. They totally succeeded on the roll, and thus Guild Barbus was born.

We never found out in-character if Guild Barbus was a Solar or not, but he was entertaining as fuck; where Original Flavor Barbus was visually inspired by Masrur from Magi: the Labyrinth of Magic, the ST for this game played Guild Barbus like Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist.
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-28-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
                Please, tell me the story of Sir Bwarktholomew the big fuck-off chicken. I burn to know.
                Haha - sure.

So, the circle is in the control room of the Lap and my Twilight is using it to channel essence into a breach into Autochthonia that's threatening to disgorge an army of Apostates, when we get a message from one of our key antagonists (the ghost of my character's first age incarnation who used to live in his head - it's complicated).

He has recruited the First and Forsaken Lion to his cause.

They're standing in the same spot we are, but in the Underworld, in the control room of the grave goods version of the Lap. They have a massive army of undead surrounding the city, and are entirely capable of using the geomantic power of the artifact to surround the city with shadowlands and open the way for their minions to invade. They'll do so at sunset unless we agree to their demands.

Epic moment of drama, caught between two dire enemies. Great power at our command, but great enemies at our doorstep....

Without missing a beat, our night caste kicks on his anima banner at full totemic with the charm that makes it shine natural sunlight, our dawn caste produces a chicken from somewhere, our zenith uses an archery charm to shoot the anima banner off of the night caste and onto the chicken, and the dawn caste (who's also a necromancer) sends the chicken to the other side.

I shit you not, it was like a well practiced football play, and my Twilight is too busy concentrating on holding shut Authochthon's asshole to even notice.

Grave goods are destroyed instantly by exposure to sunlight. A fucking chicken just completely disintegrated the head of the Lap in the Underworld. Faffle and his whole army are all dressed up with no place to go.

Threat neutralized.

Sir Bwarktholomew would live on in legend forever.

That much of the story was told in the Reddit link up above, but of course there's a bit more...

Some time later, we're out in the east, uh... re-appropriating a directional titan and an army of Arete-Series artificial hero constructs that the Bull of the North thought he could just have because we hadn't checked on them since the first age, when out of a shadowland comes Bwarktholomew.

We had assumed our feathered friend had made the ultimate sacrifice, and memorialized him appropriately. The people of the south spoke his name in prayer, and a gleaming golden statue stood in his honor in the center of the city of Lap. But we were wrong. Bwarktholomew had passed over, but rather than pass on, he had ascended.

So now he's eye level with our flying mountain - his cockscomb fairly brushing the dome of heaven itself - a two thousand food bird who seems to want nothing more in life than to peck out the stuff of the Underworld and mull it to nothing in his shining gullet. And we know he will cause untold havoc in his passing unless we act.

Our night caste, having learned the animal tongue from his Lunar wife, leaps from our sky ship and onto the Great Foul's back, coaxing him away and to the west, where he proceeds to summarily eliminate the Juggernaut and the city of Thorns (a b-plot that we were honestly never going to get to anyway) and dive back into the underworld in search of other worms to dig.

There Sir Bwarktholomew would go on to befriend Ophelia, the lost primordial of death (and Autochthon's one-time gothy dream girl), whom we had previously met after tumbling on a gateway to Oblivion in the cloisters beneath the Invisible Fortress, and return with her to serve the cause of justice once again in the world's final hour.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainsawXIV View Post
                  The people of the south spoke his name in prayer, and a gleaming golden statue stood in his honor in the center of the city of Lap.
                  So let me get this straight: there's a golden statue of a glorious cock, and they erected it in the middle of the city located on the crotch of a mountain carved into a man's shape?

Comment

That's really cool. Congrats!

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      So let me get this straight: there's a golden statue of a glorious cock, and they erected it in the middle of the city located on the crotch of a mountain carved into a man's shape?
                      I see you grasp the root of the thing.

Comment

Your a G-D American Hero Mozeltov Chainsaw and friends!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          Oddly I also played in a game set in the South that prominently featured a great golden cock.

This one was the mobile base of an exiled First Age Solar who had forged a great army out in his pocket of reality in the Wyld and was returning to Creation proper to reconquer the Realm (which our dragonbloods were of course sworn to defend). The base was in a gigantic, orichalcum-plated drill, designed to thread its way through the earth as both a means of troop transport and a potent siege weapon.

We first became aware of its presence when we found the massive furrow it had ploughed deep into the hot desert sands as it screwed its way towards our legion's base. We scrambled to warn our superiors back at headquarters, but before they could erect a perimeter to blunt its thrust ... it came. It penetrated deeply into our defences in a sudden burst of martial force, leaving many of our numbers spent in its wake. The campaign climaxed in a spectacular battle where we confronted the Giant Golden Doom-Cock and the ... marines ... who gushed forth from its opening. Its rigid orichalcum shaft proved all-but impervious to our warstrider weapons, so we were forced to make it weird and Enter The Doom Cock to cripple it from within. It was hard, but we overcame all odds, and at the end of the day the heroes of the Realm stood to attention, basking in the afterglow of victory.
                          Last edited by Measure of Hope; 07-30-2019, 10:23 AM.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

What's the logic behind "tier" system? A is Solar, F is mortal and S? Special?

Comment

Originally posted by Lanic View Post
                              What's the logic behind "tier" system? A is Solar, F is mortal and S? Special?
                              There's not a super hard set of rules to it, but broadly:
                              • S Tier - Could just about solo a third circle soul of an undamaged primordial - elder exalted, incarna, other primordials, etc.
                              • A Tier - Could probably do it with a good team-up or guarantee things with an S tier - non-elder exalted, powerful demons, etc.
                              • B Tier - Couldn't do it alone, but could handle adds or manage secondary objectives - less powerful but specialized folks
                              • C Tier - Could maybe help out and were worth sending along, but only for odd jobs - powerful noncombatants, young terrestirials
                              • D Tier - Named characters who might turn up useful but really had nothing to contribute - weaker noncombatants, heroic mortals
                              • F Tier - Random no-name mortals who would really only get killed, and squirrel girls, because nobody needs that much mischief
                              We really just used that to make sort the list, break things into bands for ease of consideration, and ensure there were enough heavy hitters at each spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X