Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's tried out the new Lunars? How's it gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's tried out the new Lunars? How's it gone?

3rd ed Lunars has been out for a while now, at least to backers in raw text.

Who has used these rules so far in their games?
    What do you think?

I know that the forum's had a lot of theory-craft posts, I'm interested in actual play.

I've played a high-essence Lunar for about 5 games, played alongside high-essence Lunars (both social) in a few games, and I've run 5 sessions of an all-Lunar, starting-XP game.
    But I'll let others comment before I weigh in.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

I’m enjoying playing my Lunar in a starting game. I built her explicitly to be ok at nearly everything instead of really good at any given thing and then picked up all but two of the Excellencies, so I can get good pools by spending Essence like water. I think she’ll be a bit better once she gets a bit more, but I’m having fun.

Comment

We're having a lot of fun with them.

A big reason I've been offline here so much is the transition from Chronicle prep to actual Chronicle play. (And a hat-tip to everybody who's ideas I've been stashing and using!)

We're setting it up to have a lot of Exalted to get into, and to play for a long time, since we've been looking forward to this one for a long time. So, we have three story threads going, alternating through them. Lunars is just getting set up, since we've only gotten the Lunars PDF most recently.

With the two existing threads already in progress, Lunars has been very improvised and exploratory, which is a sense we haven't had since trying to playtest Ex3 itself when it first came out. It's a great change of pace for us.

With no existing roles, our Lunars have changed themes a lot while we try them out.

We presently have...
      ... a great ape who yeets improvised weapons and is very grapply. He even has an "improvised" throwing Artifact.
      ... a feline seductress who prefers her spirit form when she's not busy throwing influence. We're trying to figure out a good way to shift DBT to sit atop spirit shape instead of Hybrid Body, so she can be essentially a dire beast.
      ... a mouse sorceress & necromancer with no compunctions about raising the skeletons of defeated enemies.
      ... a troublemaker no-moon who rarely gets to play much (being me)
      ... a soon-to-be-built black sheep, who wants to combine as many opposites as possible. He's aiming to be a well educated barbarian, and a full-moon sorcerer.

And the best part (for me) is that our Lunars' players asked to have their characters be associated with our existing Lunar NPCs, who've thus far been presented as mysterious allies and antagonists.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

I'm in two different games as Lunars!

Game 1: We're on the Caul and whoops, the Black Lion isn't a fan of us! Also we're using a custom domain-ruling system.
        Our cast is...
        A Full Moon (tiger) former gladiator-slave who is a young teen, is good at doin' the fight, and recently-ish learned that the Caulborn tribe she thought she allied with... are actually her subjugated servants, and also have based their culture around having somebody always subjugating them. She's not very happy about it. She is our front-line beatstick.
        A Full Moon (simhata) who has two Dragonblooded kids (one by blood, one adopted) and wants to knock over the Realm and kickstart a new generation of DBs who work with Lunars. The Black Lion's "wipe out all traces of Terrestrial blood everywhere" goal somewhat clashes with this and is why we can't exactly get along with him. This lady is a tough mom with artifact wings, and also recently learned sorcery from my character. She tends to fly and shoot arrows.
        A No Moon (spider) Caulborn spiritualist who has recently started a domain in the Caul's extensive cave system, the Undercaul. He lost his legs in our first (terrible) fight with the Lion, but my character recently taught him sorcery, so he basically uses Cirrus Skiff as a cool wheelchair while he waits to get the Charm he needs to grow his legs back. He is our spirit-talker and doctor guy.
        A No Moon (armored kraken + lamprey chimera) sorceress (my character). She's basically an angry late-teen trying to figure out how to deal with things, including the fact that her Solar nemesis is a Solar Circle sorceress. After the disaster of a fight with the Lion, she's leaned hard into preparing for war, buying War dots and starting to crank out demon squads. As of last session, she's consolidating her domain with the tiger girl's.

One thing I like to highlight is the flexibility of Lunars. My sorceress had no War stuff, but when the battle with the Lion went south (we only escaped because the aforementioned Solar nemesis Death Ray'd a chasm between us and our foes), she immediately began learning War from the simhata mom, and already she's got the stuff to be a pretty good commander and strategist since INT is Caste and APP is Favored.

Game 2: Two Lunars and two Solars in Palanquin, dealing with what seems to mostly be Ysyri dickery.
        Our cast is...
        A Brawl Supernal Dawn mercenary commander who grew up poor and scrawny, became his merc company's smart boy, and then Exalted when a rival group tried to off them. Now he's smart and strong and hot, running his own company, and contracted with the city... but this means he deals with lots of Ysyri horse-hockey.
        A Changing Moon (moth) dancer and bar-owner (mine!) who is the Brawl boy's adoptive-ish big sister. She runs a very popular bar and one of her Stolen Faces runs a very popular bordello in an entertainment district located in one of Palanquin's statues' lower legs; by setting her alternate identity up as her rival, she's increased the district's popularity and basically made herself two pillars of the community. She's the Dawn's Lunar bondmate, the context being familial love.
        A Performance Supernal Zenith sailing preacher lady who helps those the gods can't or won't, or helps in ways the gods don't. This has caught her some flak from gods, but she's just a nice gorl who wants to help people. She also managed to totally stymie the No Moon's attempt to threaten her by apparently mistaking it for flirting.
        A No Moon (tiger) who's pretty mysterious, but poses as a helpful witchy crone in the slums, deals with spirits, and kills demons. I know the least about her, but she's the Zenith's mate. Context... undetermined.

A thing I'd highlight here is the wonderful chicanery Lunars can pull off with shapeshifting. My Changing Moon, by building her personas up as rivals who grudgingly respected each other and both had pull in their district, was able to back up the word of one persona by going "look, even (other persona) agrees with me on this, I have a letter she wrote to prove it".

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

I’ve built my Full Moon Lunar, Yago of Markos, but haven’t really fought with him yet.

Comment

I’ve discovered that being essence 1 and not having a dex excellency while fighting battle groups can cause all sorts of near terminal problems 😅

Comment

Oh, I forgot to add, we were having so much fun with Lunars that my players wanted to come over after work to catch a few hours of character- and world-building.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Originally posted by Beans View Post
                I'm in two different games as Lunars!

Game 1: We're on the Caul and whoops, the Black Lion isn't a fan of us! Also we're using a custom domain-ruling system.
                Our cast is...
                A Full Moon (tiger) former gladiator-slave who is a young teen, is good at doin' the fight, and recently-ish learned that the Caulborn tribe she thought she allied with... are actually her subjugated servants, and also have based their culture around having somebody always subjugating them. She's not very happy about it. She is our front-line beatstick.
                A Full Moon (simhata) who has two Dragonblooded kids (one by blood, one adopted) and wants to knock over the Realm and kickstart a new generation of DBs who work with Lunars. The Black Lion's "wipe out all traces of Terrestrial blood everywhere" goal somewhat clashes with this and is why we can't exactly get along with him. This lady is a tough mom with artifact wings, and also recently learned sorcery from my character. She tends to fly and shoot arrows.
                A No Moon (spider) Caulborn spiritualist who has recently started a domain in the Caul's extensive cave system, the Undercaul. He lost his legs in our first (terrible) fight with the Lion, but my character recently taught him sorcery, so he basically uses Cirrus Skiff as a cool wheelchair while he waits to get the Charm he needs to grow his legs back. He is our spirit-talker and doctor guy.
                A No Moon (armored kraken + lamprey chimera) sorceress (my character). She's basically an angry late-teen trying to figure out how to deal with things, including the fact that her Solar nemesis is a Solar Circle sorceress. After the disaster of a fight with the Lion, she's leaned hard into preparing for war, buying War dots and starting to crank out demon squads. As of last session, she's consolidating her domain with the tiger girl's.

One thing I like to highlight is the flexibility of Lunars. My sorceress had no War stuff, but when the battle with the Lion went south (we only escaped because the aforementioned Solar nemesis Death Ray'd a chasm between us and our foes), she immediately began learning War from the simhata mom, and already she's got the stuff to be a pretty good commander and strategist since INT is Caste and APP is Favored.
                As said beat stick its quite fun. It's also amazing how good a lunar can be at combat without having to go absurdly into it. Tiny Tiger very very frequently makes things much bigger than her scared of her. Her naivetyand eagerness to see people free is what makes the caulborn tribe so bizarre to her. She is very much proof that strength charms can be very potent and scary. She also finally learned the value of putting magic materials between enemy spears and her abdomen (oh she's fine. she's group tank with stamina 5 as well and 3 ox bodies.) She's proven to be quite scary even before her essence 2 bump. (Essence 1 charms are actually really good)

What beans has also forgotten is that in another game I am in with him I also am playing an Auroch Changing Moon. She is a burger maven. She exalted by pestering (without knowing it was) luna to try burgers until luna relented and did just so she could go exalt another lunar. (basically she green eggs and hammed her way into an exaltation). She is ambivalent to the silver pact preferring to focus on her profit margins and making people love good food and her good food in particular (currently she is cooking for two dynasts on their realm vessel in chiaroscuro without any hint of fear).

I will say one thing about the recent exalt splats. Both Dragon-Bloods and Lunars have done something. They make me appreciate Solars more. By seeing their place in the setting and seeing the might and power they can bring to bear it makes me appreciate the returning solars as more than just "does things well guys". I see how they can make great antagonists to eachother, how they can make allies, how a dragon blood outcaste would like to befriend a lunar or solar. How a solar might try to make alliances where they aren't getting the best result simply because the entrenched powers that be still eclipses (HAH) their own even if they are "lower" on the supernatural food chain. I have seen how a group of terrestrials can pose a credible threat, I see how a solar can't just rest on their "i see better than people" awareness laurels and expect them to just oust any lunar.

My two favorite splats have elevated the splat I had the least interest in. Not sure if that helps with the original question, but i figured i'd throw in my two cents. The new lunars are a fun addition that makes the game as a whole even better and helps build up the other splats in many ways. (Thanks Eric Minton and Robert Vance!)

Comment

Haven't really tried so far, but then overall i have played far less of 3e than i would have liked.

Don't know if i would adapt old characters like a Changing Moon trickster-commando with a giant wolf spirit form (kind of a mix of Loki & Fenrir) or Casteless wandering sorcerer that insists in staying so to better study the many faces of the moon and the adoption of ritual taboos as a method to counter chimerization or come up with something new, like a Rakshas-inspired multi-headed & armed tigerman chimera.

Ok. DEFINITELY trying out the multi-headed tigerman, probably Casteless and with each head manifesting a mind & personality (maybe temporary caste) its own. Probably unfeasible like hell & beyond, but just trying to find out how far can i go or not should be fun aplenty.
                  Last edited by Baaldam; 08-01-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

So I've played a Lunar a bit, and run an all-Lunar game.

I'll just talk about the Lunar I've played for now.

My concept was kung-fu doctor; snake totem, snake style, poison charms, medicine charms. This is quite a high-xp game (my previous character, a Night, was executed by his target after a failed kidnapping), so it's a high-xp character.

So, the medicine charms are fine, though medicine's not that interesting. I think there's some reasonably fun charms, like the one where you establish a fact that there's a super-rare herb that can cure a disease, and then go on a little quest to get it.

Also, Lunar doctor/crafters work well, as you can get craft points through combining craft and medicine, or even just doing medicine; I got 1679 silver craft points and 108 gold points from working hard as a doctor for a month. That may sound broken, but I don't think it is, because actually making artefacts takes much longer than it does for Solars. Also, unlike Solars, you can't just turn silver points into gold.

Overall, I'd say Lunar crafters are a bit more interesting and a bit less powerful than Solar crafters. Same for doctors.

In terms of combat, when the preview came out people said that combining Lunar charms and Martial Arts was broken good. I haven't done a lot of combat, but I haven't really found that. Essentially, there may be really good builds, but the Poison charms I have don't work well with Snake style. Also, while I have Snake Style 5, my Brawl isn't that great; the poison charms are really good at boosting my snake form's poison bite, but my dice pool as a snake could be better.
                    I suspect I'd have been better just taking Lunar charms and Brawl; then I could either punch people in the face, or sneak around as a snake and bite people with a really dangerous poison.

Overall though, I just find my combat build a bit over-complicated.
                    These are my combat charms:
                    Join Battle Charms
                    8 dice. 3m for double 9s.
                    Wolf-Eye Advantage: 2m, supplemental. She rerolls 1s until they cease to appear on a Join Battle roll or a roll opposing Stealth in combat. While Sense-Sharpening Change is active, beating an enemy’s Stealth roll in combat awards the Lunar one Initiative.
                    Sinuous Striking Grace: 3m; Reflexive: Instant
                    This Charm must be used at the start of the round. +5 to her Initiative to determine when she acts. If she uses her turn to attack an enemy who hasn’t acted that round, she adds a non-Charm die.

Withering Attack Charms
                    Finding the Needle’s Eye: 3m; Supplemental: Perilous: Instant
                    The Lunar’s limbs flex and warp along unexpected angles to avoid obstacles between her and her prey. She rerolls up to five 1s on an attack roll and ignores a single point of Defense bonus from weapons, cover, or the Full Defense action. She may attack a lower-Initiative enemy through full cover with an appropriate stunt, but he receives +3 Defense.
                    Protean: If the Lunar attacks with an animal shape’s tail, tentacles, or similar flexible appendages, she ignores an additional point of Defense bonus.
                    Striking Mospid Method: 3m; Supplemental: Withering-only: Instant
                    The Lunar feels the flow of Essence through every motion, guiding her inexorably to strike true. She rerolls up to 5 failed dice on a withering attack roll, beginning with 6s and moving down.
                    Unerring Fang Technique: 1m; Supplemental: Withering-only: Instant
                    When she adds a full Excellency to a withering attack roll, she adds a non-Charm success, and rolls a non-Charm die for every 10.
                    Strength Excellency: 2m, +2 damage
                    Striking Cobra Technique: 3m; Supplemental; Instant
                    Against an enemy with lower Initiative or who hasn’t taken their turn yet this round, +5 raw damage of a withering attack. Against enemies in Initiative Crash, the withering damage boost is added after soak.
                    Armor-Penetrating Fang Strike: 5m, 1wp; Supplemental: Instant
                    Ignore all of an enemy’s soak from armor.
                    Uncoiling Serpent Prana: 7m, 3i; Simple: Instant
                    Attack an enemy with lower Initiative out to short range. If this deals 5+ Initiative damage, the martial artist may drag that enemy into close range with her.
                    While Essence Fangs and Scales Technique is active, the range of this Charm is extended to medium.

Decisive Attack Charms
                    Acid-Spitting Attack: 5m, 5i, 1wp or 5m; Simple: Aggravated, Decisive-only: Instant
                    The Lunar sprays corrosive acid from her mouth. For five motes, five Initiative, one Willpower, she rolls an unblockable decisive attack with (Stamina + [Archery or Athletics]), which takes one of two forms. She can spit at one enemy within medium range, dealing (5 + attack roll extra successes) dice of aggravated damage. Alternatively, she can disgorge acid on all other
                    characters, friend or foe, within short range, dealing (Essence) dice of aggravated damage. Either way, this ignores Hardness and doesn’t include the Lunar’s Initiative or reset it. Damaged characters suffer a penalty to soak and Hardness equal to the levels of damage dealt until their next turn. Alternatively, this Charm can be used for five motes to melt inanimate objects, rolling a feat of demolition with (Stamina + [Athletics or Resistance]) with 5 automatic successes. The Lunar uses Stamina instead of Strength to determine what feats she may attempt, though she can raise her effective rating with Charms that enhance feats of strength. This Charm can only be used to attack once per scene, unless reset by crashing an enemy. Feats of demolition don’t require a reset.
                    Finding the Needle’s Eye: 3m; Supplemental: Perilous: Instant
                    The Lunar’s limbs flex and warp along unexpected angles to avoid obstacles between her and her prey. She rerolls up to five 1s on an attack roll and ignores a single point of Defense bonus from weapons, cover, or the Full Defense action. She may attack a lower-Initiative enemy through full cover with an appropriate stunt, but he receives +3 Defense.
                    Protean: If the Lunar attacks with an animal shape’s tail, tentacles, or similar flexible appendages, she ignores an additional point of Defense bonus.
                    Striking Cobra Technique: 3m; Supplemental; Instant
                    Against an enemy with lower Initiative or who hasn’t taken their turn yet this round, +1 decisive damage. Against enemies in Initiative Crash, instead add an automatic success.
                    Armor-Penetrating Fang Strike: 5m, 1wp; Supplemental: Instant
                    Ignore 5 hardness.
                    Uncoiling Serpent Prana: 7m, 3i; Simple: Instant
                    Attack an enemy with lower Initiative out to short range. If this deals any decisive damage, the martial artist may drag that enemy into close range with her.
                    While Essence Fangs and Scales Technique is active, the range of this Charm is extended to medium.
                    Crippling Pressure-Point Strike: 3m; Simple: Instant
                    Striking quick, rapid jabs to nerve clusters and pressure points, the martial artist leave her foes numbed and deadened, as if they had actually been bitten by a venomous snake. Crippling Pressure-Point Strike allows the Snake stylist to use one of the following gambits, crippling vital pressure points and disrupting meridians of Essence with painful fang strikes.
                    • Blinding Fang Strike (Difficulty 3): A finger-fang strike to each of the enemy’s eyes leaves him blinded for the rest of the scene. The enemy suffers a -3 penalty on all actions. He may recover his sight by spending a turn rubbing his injured eyes, a miscellaneous action which cannot be placed in a flurry.
                    •Nerve-Deadening Venom Atemi (Difficulty 4): A lightning-swift flurry of fang strikes along an arm leaves it paralyzed until the end of the scene. The victim immediately drops anything he was holding in that hand, cannot use it to perform any actions, and suffers a -2 penalty on any actions that would normally require the use of both hands. It is possible to paralyze both (or sometimes, all) of an enemy’s arms with repeated use of this gambit, leaving him unable to wield weapons at all without clever stunting on his part.
                    •Withering Venom Paralysis (Difficulty 6): A single devastating fang strike to an enemy’s sacral chakra leaves his lower body paralyzed or the rest of the scene, causing him to immediately fall prone. Even on a successful rise from prone action (which must always be rolled, against difficulty 3), he is only capable of propping himself up on arms and elbows to crawl across the earth. He may take other movement actions at a -3 penalty, and treats all ground as difficult terrain, but still suffers all other penalties of being prone.

Poison Charms
                    Adder Fang Method: 3m (+2i); Supplemental: Instant
                    She envenoms a decisive attack with one of these poisons:
                    Damage 2i/round (B in Crash), Duration 5 rounds, and a –2 penalty. (Charm)
                    Damage 1i/round (B in Crash), Duration 5 rounds, and a –4 penalty. (Jellyfish)
                    Damage 2i/round (L in Crash), Duration 3 rounds, and a –2 penalty. (Snake)
                    Normally, this can only enhance unarmed or natural attacks, but she can envenom close-range weapons or physical projectiles with stunts.
                    For two Initiative, the duration of a poison increases by one round, plus an additional round/damage/penalty for every 10 on the attack and damage rolls(max 5). It deals aggravated damage to crashed foes, and can't be reduced below 1.
                    Protean: In animal shapes that are venomous or poisonous, instead of producing venom you may increase the natural venom's duration by 5.
                    Essence Venom Strike: 6m, 3i, 1wp; Simple: Aggravated, Decisive-only: Instant
                    Distilling her killing intent into venomous Essence, the Snake master delivers a blow as quick as lightning and as deadly as the strike of a dozen serpents. Essence Venom Strike poisons an enemy, envenoming him as long as a single level of damage is dealt. The poison deals one die of aggravated damage each round and inflicts a -2 penalty, with one round of duration for every two dice of raw damage rolled. Characters in Initiative Crash do not receive a (Stamina + Resistance) roll to lower the duration of the poison. An enemy poisoned with this Charm is treated as having a lower Initiative than the martial artist for the purposes of Essence Fangs and Scales Technique, Snake Form, and Striking Cobra Technique until the venom has run its course.
                    Poison Blood Prana: 4m, 2i (+2i); Reflexive; Counterattack, Decisive-only: Instant
                    As the Lunar’s blood is shed, she changes it into a poisonous spray. After an attack deals decisive damage to her from close range, she may use this Charm to counterattack with an unblockable decisive attack, rolling (Stamina + Resistance). She adds her wound penalty in non-Charm dice to this roll, rather than subtracting. Success exposes her enemy to a dose of Adder Fang Method’s venom. This doesn’t deal damage or reset her Initiative. She may instead change her blood to acid, dealing five dice of aggravated damage, ignoring Hardness. Her attacker’s soak and Hardness suffer a penalty equal to the levels of damage dealt until his next turn.
                    For two Initiative, the duration of a poison increases by one round, plus an additional round/damage/penalty for every 10 on the attack and damage rolls(max 5). It deals aggravated damage to crashed foes, and can't be reduced below 1.
                    Protean: In venomous or poisonous animal shapes, the Lunar may counterattack with a dose of that animal’s poison, adding 5 to its duration.

Defence Charms
                    Stamina Excellency: 2m, +2 soak
                    Serpentine Evasion: 2m; Reflexive; Instant
                    Ducking and weaving, the snake confounds predators’ attempts at violence. Serpentine Evasion adds +1 to the martial artist’s Evasion against a single attack. If the attack is made after she's already taken her turn that round, she may declare this Charm after the attack has already been rolled.
                    Snake Strikes the Heel : 2m, 1wp; Reflexive; Instant
                    This Charm allows the martial artist to reflexively make a withering or decisive clash attack. A withering clash does not grant any Initiative to the martial artist, only serving to disrupt the momentum of her enemy with the blurring violence of her unexpected attack. A decisive clash can only be used to execute a gambit, potentially including a reflexive activation of Crippling Pressure Point Strike to use one of its gambits.
                    If the martial artist knows Uncoiling Serpent Prana, she may activate it as though it were a Reflexive Charm to allow her to clash against a ranged enemy with Snake Strikes the Heel.
                    Countless Coils Evasion: 7m, 1wp; Reflexive: Decisive-only, Perilous: Instant
                    Moving with the reflexes and raw speed of a startled snake, the martial artist leaves no flaw in her defenses. After the damage roll of a decisive attack against her, the martial artist may use this Charm to roll (Initiative+5). Each success on her roll negates a level of damage from the attack, after which she is reset to base Initiative. If this successfully negates all damage from the attack, then the martial artist emerges unscathed, revealing that what her opponent struck was only an afterimage, and adds +2 to her base Initiative when she resets. This Charm is incompatible with any other effect that reduces the damage of a decisive attack.
                    Snake Form: 8m; Simple; Form; One scene
                    +5 Soak. Enemies take a -1 penalty on all attack rolls against her—which increases to a -3 penalty if their Initiative rating is lower than the martial artist’s.
                    Special activation rules: Whenever the martial artist makes a withering attack which lowers an enemy’s current Initiative value from greater than her own to less than her own, she may reflexively activate Snake Form.
                    If instead you pay 9m, 1wp, the soak bonus rises to 10, and adds +2 to the raw damage of all withering Snake attacks she makes.
                    Scorpion-and-Toad Absolution: 2m; Reflexive: Instant
                    She rerolls 6s until they cease to appear on a roll to resist poison. If it’s a poison she’s previously been exposed to, or the poison of an animal species whose form she’s claimed, she rerolls 5s until they cease to appear as well.

As you can see... not simple. I find I spend a lot of time looking through my charms during combat to work out what I should be doing.

Combat tactics (Stunt bonuses are 1pt, and included)
                    Join Battle: 8 dice
                    Boosted Join Battle: 5m for 13 dice
                    Ultimate Join Battle: 10m for 13 dice, reroll 1s and double 9s. (The re-roll 1s is until they no longer appear.)
                    Ultimate Join Battle with a stunt: 15m for 20 dice, re-roll 1s and double 9s. (The re-roll 1s is until they no longer appear.)

Withering Attack: 3 motes. 15 dice, re-roll up to 5 failures. +12 damage (14 with Essence-Fangs active).
                    Mighty Withering Attack: 11 motes. 20 dice +1 success, re-roll up to 5 failures, roll an extra dice for each 10. +14 damage (16 with Essence-Fangs active).
                    Ultimate Withering Attack with stunt vs an enemy with lower initiative or who hasn't had their turn: 19 motes. 27 dice +1 success, re-roll up to 5 failures, roll an extra dice for each 10. +19 damage (21 with Essence-Fangs active).
                    Add 5m, 1wp to ignore soak from armour.

If necessary, add 3m to re-roll up to five 1s and ignore 1pt from medium parry/cover/full defence.

Poison decisive attack: 8 motes, 2i. 16 dice. With a stunt, 10 motes, 2i, for 23 dice.
                    Poison damage 2i/round (A in Crash), Duration 6 rounds, –2 penalty. Or 1i(A), -4.
                    For each 10 on the damage roll, add 1 to either duration, penalty or damage. Duration can't be reduced below 1.

If necessary, add 3m to re-roll up to five 1s and ignore 1pt from medium parry/cover/full defence.

Poison attack vs a crashed enemy: 14 motes, 3i, 1wp. 16 dice. With a stunt, 19 motes, 3i, 1wp. for 23 dice.
                    Does +1 auto-success on the damage roll.
                    Poison damage 1 agg/round, -2 penalty. Duration is 1 per 2 dice of raw damage rolled, enemy doesn't get a roll to resist.

Defence (Enemies take -1 or -3 penalty to hit when in Snake form):
                    Parry 6
                    4m for Parry 8.
                    10m for Parry 12 with a stunt.

Although if this is sounding like my character isn't very good at combat, I think it's more that she's fiddly; I did get 22 initiative once, and she's succeeded in all the combats she's fought. But then, she hasn't tried to beat any powerful Exalts (just escape from one, which she did), so I can't really tell exactly.

I've also got the tracking tree, which is quite strong.

My characters:
                    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                      I’m enjoying playing my Lunar in a starting game. I built her explicitly to be ok at nearly everything instead of really good at any given thing and then picked up all but two of the Excellencies, so I can get good pools by spending Essence like water. I think she’ll be a bit better once she gets a bit more, but I’m having fun.
                      I think this is something much more viable for Solars than Lunars.

Though in terms of spending Essence like water, one of my friends plays a Casteless Lunar who's got 4 or 5 in almost every attribute.

So, in combat, the character throws full excellencies on every attack... which makes keeping track of her motes really easy. Spend 5 motes on attack, get them back. Spend 5 motes on attack, get them back. It's just the 4 motes for +2 defence that actually has to be recorded. And I don't think I've ever seen her almost run out of motes.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                        With the two existing threads already in progress, Lunars has been very improvised and exploratory, which is a sense we haven't had since trying to playtest Ex3 itself when it first came out. It's a great change of pace for us.
                        That does sound quite interesting.

I wonder if Lunars are easier to be more improvised with, since they tend to be a bit more all-rounders, so you're less likely to screw up their build? And they have a lot of charm trees that do something a bit different, like inflicting disease, or making mutants, or reinforcing cultures.

Or maybe not really.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by Beans View Post

It's interesting you point out not just their flexibility during a game, but, and it sounded like Simon had a similar experience, their flexibility in terms of how they develop, since your favoured attributes cover quite a lot of different areas. A tough guy could become a master of poison, a beauty could become a terrifying torturer, a shaman could become a detective, an archer could turn into a swarm of creatures, etc. Our Full Moon favours Wits (to get the Join Battle excellency, basically) which means he could go off in all sorts of interesting directions. Our old Full Moon was an elephant-totem, so favoured Intelligence for the memory charms, which came in useful later on when he decided he wanted to go into necromancy.

Of course Solars have 10 caste/favoured abilities, which is a lot, and you probably won't be using them all at character creation. But you have to plan what you'll want later, which may end up not actually being what you end up with.
                          For example, Shadow of Kings, the Twilight I played for 6-ish years in 2nd ed, took Martial Arts, War, Presence, Integrity and Socialise as his favoured abilities. But I never ended up buying any dots or charms in War or Presence, and I got like 1 Integrity charm. Whereas I did end up buying a load of Dodge and Linguistics (we travelled a lot, I needed the languages).

I mean, Lunars can even start out as a different Caste to what they end up as. I initially expected my casteless doctor would become a No Moon, but she ended up becoming a Full Moon.

Obviously though if your Full Moon later wants to become a sorcerer and doesn't favour Intelligence, there's no way around the higher cost. It's not like there's no focus later. But I think there might be a bit more flexibility of character development than for Solars.

My characters:

Comment

Right, I'll talk a bit about the game I run a bit late. Just a short digression first.

Interestingly, we had 1 Full Moon, 2 Changing Moons, 1 No Moon, 1 social Casteless who just hasn't got round to becoming a Changing Moon, and an all-rounder Casteless.

So 1 combat character, 3 social characters, and a mental character. And the two Lunar characters I play alongside in other games are both social characters (a fox-girl Changing Moon and a rabbit-girl Casteless).

So I wondered if Lunar players were more likely to play social characters. (Certainly in 2nd ed Changing Moons and Full Moons were way better than No Moons.)

But looking at other people's games, it doesn't look that way. Simon's game looks like 2 Full Moons, 2 No Moons and a Changing Moon, the 7 Lunars Beans plays with include 2 Changing Moons and 5 others, etc. So I guess it jus worked out that way in our game.

Anyone else notice if one Caste seems more popular than others?

My characters:

Comment

We also noticed actually that playing a sorcerer seems less popular with Lunars than with Solars. 40% of Solar characters across our 3 games are sorcerers, compared to only 11% of Lunars. Don't know if others have found the same or not.

My characters:

Comment

Working...
                              X